Goodbye Jesus

How Do You 'handle' Easter?

Deidre

Invite everyone over, tie a lamb up to a cross, pour blood over it, and chant verses from Revelation for a couple of hours. 

Oooh, I like that one! happydance.gif

I haven't really thought about Easter! I lost my christianity only 6 months ago so this is my first atheistic Easter.

I know for sure that I will not go to church. No more church services for me - though I don't know how to handle wedding services yet but that's another topic. I feel fine about skipping Easter altogether and just doing whatever I like to do, which probably will be a lot of the things in my interest list under my nickname. It'll be nice!

Though I also like the ideas about celebrating Spring that some people mention. That's a nice idea too!

I don't feel like celebrating the pagan holidays, since originally were meant for worshipping gods. No more gods for me, thank you. Of course the majority of people in paganism doesn't believe in these gods I assume/hope. If so I'm impressed by the irrationality of humanity.

Invite everyone over, tie a lamb up to a cross, pour blood over it, and chant verses from Revelation for a couple of hours. 

Oooh, I like that one! happydance.gif

My new favorite Easter tradition!  Bring the kids!

No more church services for me - though I don't know how to handle wedding services yet but that's another topic. I feel fine about skipping Easter altogether and just doing whatever I like to do, which probably will be a lot of the things in my interest list under my nickname. It'll be nice!

Congrats on your first Easter-free year!  The good thing about this time of year is the weather is usually nice, at least where I live, so it's great to be outside and do something enjoyable.

For weddings, yeah, it's another topic, but just my two cents:  I consider weddings about the couple, not the religion, so it doesn't bother me going to weddings.  You can sit out and not join in on the religious things, like I do (mainly if there's communion).  Or you can just go to the reception afterwards.  Probably nobody will even have missed you, unless it's close family, but if they say anything just say you got tied up with something, or had car trouble, then direct the conversation back to the newly-married couple.

Easter...  Mmmmmmmm....  Chocolate.....  smile.png

I like how you think DarkHorse. I've decided to not be so dramatic about it, even if only in my own head, and just go with the flow of how the day shifts. I'm expected to see family, etc...that's fine. I will enjoy a nice dinner and have good conversation. Interestingly, my family of origin really doesn't discuss the birth of Jesus, etc ...it's like just a time to get together and have a food orgy. So, be it as it may, I'll attend and make the most of it. :)

Blood, you crack me up. :D

I know for sure that I will not go to church. No more church services for me - though I don't know how to handle wedding services yet but that's another topic.

For me, the wedding is about the couple, not the venue. I don't hesitate to go to the church if that's where the marriage ceremony is. Memorial services, also.

But then, church is not a trigger for me.

I don't feel like celebrating the pagan holidays, since originally were meant for worshipping gods. No more gods for me, thank you. Of course the majority of people in paganism doesn't believe in these gods I assume/hope. If so I'm impressed by the irrationality of humanity.

Not all pagans celebrate the holidays either - and not certainly not the same ones.

As to pagan beliefs, they are very variable.  On a sliding scale, there are those at one end who basically equate paganism with an observance of the cycles of nature and give little thought to deity; then there are those who see deities as archetypes and constructs of the human psyche; this goes all the way through to those who believe in pagan gods as objective though intangible realities.  Observance of rites and festivals again varies from those who do practically nothing through to full blown attempts at reconstructionist forms of ancient religion.  Generalization is practically impossible, though it is worth remembering that there is a tendency to equate paganism with Wicca, when in fact that is just one subdivision, itself with many facets.

Being paranoid about not wanting to appear to be proselytising, I would add that the above is purely informational in response to you and not meant as any sort of apology for whatever paganism might be...

• Like 1

Not all pagans celebrate the holidays either - and not certainly not the same ones.

As to pagan beliefs, they are very variable.  On a sliding scale, there are those at one end who basically equate paganism with an observance of the cycles of nature and give little thought to deity; then there are those who see deities as archetypes and constructs of the human psyche; this goes all the way through to those who believe in pagan gods as objective though intangible realities.  Observance of rites and festivals again varies from those who do practically nothing through to full blown attempts at reconstructionist forms of ancient religion.  Generalization is practically impossible, though it is worth remembering that there is a tendency to equate paganism with Wicca, when in fact that is just one subdivision, itself with many facets.

Being paranoid about not wanting to appear to be proselytising, I would add that the above is purely informational in response to you and not meant as any sort of apology for whatever paganism might be...

Thanks Elinas for your informative reply! :) Now I paganism better, and while I am not interested in gods anymore as literal beings, but I do like them as archetypal beings (I'm interested in Jungian psychology which makes a lot of use of mythology) and for the cycles of nature.

So I overreacted a bit in my previous post and I do have respect for people who're in pagan religions, though I still cannot understand how people think that pagan pantheons are literally there. I get that this is a minority. Do you believe this? Just curious.

This will be my first easter as an atheist as well.  I'm still closeted and living with my Christian family, so I'll probably just go with the flow on this one.  Church usually has a lunch, so free food!  

It's strange, I honestly have no idea how atheists celebrate religious holidays, so this all is very interesting to me.  As of now, I don't have a problem partaking in religious holidays.  I feel many of them are so ingrained into our culture, avoiding them for the sake of avoiding religion is somewhat pointless, especially considering how commercialized and secular many of them have become.  Also I love Christmas, will never give that up.

So I overreacted a bit in my previous post and I do have respect for people who're in pagan religions, though I still cannot understand how people think that pagan pantheons are literally there. I get that this is a minority. Do you believe this? Just curious.

Well, I cannot understand how people think a non-corporeal being who is his own father impregnated a virgin with himself, was killed, came back to life, and floated off into the sky. (And I used to be one of them!) Having now seen that Yahweh is no different from Zeus or Athena (or Baal, for that matter), I no longer wonder about pagans.

It's strange, I honestly have no idea how atheists celebrate religious holidays, so this all is very interesting to me.

I don't. I celebrate cultural and pan-cultural holidays that other people have imbued with religious meaning.

Ah - the complexities of belief.

If you would really like me to answer that, I'll seek permission to post on the Ex-Christian Spirituality board.  On this board I'll only say that I have my own outlook and views on the reality of the spiritual and the status of pantheons that probably don't answer to any particular title.  Certainly I've steered clear of Hellenismos (Hellenic reconstructionism) - mainly because I've no intention of allying myself to another orthodoxy.

I don't want to post about it here as I was serious about the "paranoia" bit, partly because I object to evangelism and partly because I'm conscious that the last thing needed on a board dedicated to those who have a left a religion is someone talking about their own beliefs.  It would be insensitive at best and easily open to misinterpretation for me to say "I believe in...".

And no, I don't think you over-reacted.  Belief is personal, it's what makes sense to your view of the nature of the world and need not seem rational to anyone else.

It's my first Easter as an atheist as well. Luckily my mom doesn't force me to go to church, so we will probably have a nice dinner and she wants my brother to take us for a ride in his new car :P I'm sure she will talk about god like she always does, but I'm learning to not let it bother me.  On my birthday, however, my grandparents came with my mom and brother to visit me. My grandparents said so many interesting things like, "You need to go see the movie 'God's Not Dead'.... Don't go see Noah, it's not biblically accurate...." and my favorite, "Did you know that before the Great Flood the people on the earth had never seen rain before? The water came up from under the ground to feed the plants."  So this is how most of my holidays go when extended family is involved. yelrotflmao.gif

I'm recently separated and staying in my dad's basement. He's agnostic, but attends church to appease his fundy wife. I told him a couple of weeks ago that I wasn't going to church so don't ask. Yesterday, he tells me it would mean a lot to her if I went on easter. I stuck to my guns and said no. I'm all about the family gathering after church, but I'm not going to sit through the bullshit to make someone else happy.

• Like 1

My local Sofree group (Society of Ontario Freethinkers) gathers for brunch the third Sunday of every month. That the Christians are celebrating Easter on our brunch Sunday hardly changes things. 

Good for you, Blinders. Your dad wants you to appease his fundie wife, because misery loves company. biggrin.png

I don't feel sorry for your dad though. He should leave her, if he's not happy and I wouldn't be happy going to church, to ''appease'' some dude, because I share a bed with him. Ugh, the things people do in order to keep from being alone.

I'd rather be alone, than settling...out of fear of being alone.

• Like 1

Guest MadameX

Ah, Easter, the time  to celebrate spring and flowers and joy and little critters being born and hatched and eat delicious sweets and be glad to be alive  to celebrate human sacrifice and eat flesh and drink blood. Cannibalism! What a party!

• Like 2

Lol!!

Well, it's Easter morning and I'm home alone. Well, the dogs are here, but my wife and daughters are at church (though my youngest usually doesn't go anymore). I watched an episode of Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson online and listened to a few new songs. In a few minutes I'm going to start the dishwasher and then exercise for a bit. This afternoon my in-laws are coming over for dinner and we'll probably play cards or something. Everything I've got going on myself is better than sitting in a pew listening to fairy tales.

• Like 1

I try to just lay low as I would on any holiday and ignore it.  I hear today is some kind of holiday.  Are businesses open tomorrow?

I used to go to sunrise service. I enjoyed sleeping in this morning and then going for a 45 mile bike ride. About to break bread with family. It's 75 and sunny, so it's a beautiful day regardless of religious beliefs.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing here, this has been helpful to not only me, but I'm thinking others as well, especially those 'transitioning.'

Well, I was going to attend church today with some relatives, and didn't. I didn't think about it much, just told them, I wasn't going. I'm not angry, or it wasn't something I had to put much thought into, as if this was a few years ago when i first stepped away from Christianity. Now, it seems like 'this' is me. My life is different, now. I understand the desire to follow religion. I really do. But, I don't anymore, and it feels good to be true to me. If I had gone to church, I wouldn't have felt bad about it, really. But, I would have felt like my main motive for being there was to please others. I'm not trying to be selfish, I simply didn't want to attend.

It was effortless, and I think I've finally let go of the final locks that bound me up.

• Like 1

I am fine as long as I am 1,200 miles away from Christian family members. Just great.

Reading horror fiction "The Wide Carnivorous Sky" by John Langan - highly recommended - watching episodes of "Cutthroat Kitchen" online and taking it easy after a super busy last week at work.

Tomorrow I will have one year at my job - not easy landing a job in when you are in your 50s. So Hooray!

Diedre32, I haven't been to church in 4 years. The only reason for me to go would be to please others and I refuse to do that. I've also wondered if I was being selfish, but isn't it selfish of others to ask someone to do something that they don't want to do?

Glad to hear you let go of those locks.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Every church in town had an Easter Egg Hunt this morning.  We timed everything out so that we could hit as many as possible without having to hear any preaching.  My son made out like a bandit.

• Like 3

Deva! That's fantastic! Congrats and sounds like a fabulous day! I haven't read much in the way of horror I should check out what you're reading.

Blinders, isn't it sublime!? :)

Freedom is a beautiful thing when you unwrap it.