Goodbye Jesus

How Do You 'handle' Easter?

Deidre

I have to say, I had a REALLY nice day today.

We started out doing our annual Easter egg hunt with the kids

I gave my wife the day off and did all the cooking.  "Egg McMuffin" style breakfast sandwiches for breakfast, hard boiled eggs for lunch, and a salad, ham, veggies, and a nice dessert for dinner.  Nothing particularly demanding, but it was really nice to do this sort of stuff instead of trying to get chores done, or coming home after a long day of work to a short evening.  Oh, and chores.  Nothing.  Took the day off doing anything on the to do list.

Of course no church, but it was nice to have no contact at all the entire day with anyone who thought we should go to church.

I watched "Mr. Nobody" on Netflix with my wife, played a few Boggle-like on-line games, visited here once or twice, wrote this post and maybe one other this morning, and enjoyed my kids.  And once I hit the "post" button, I'm going on a nice, long walk with my daughter.

I think the best part, though was NO contact with any extended relatives this year.  Just me, my wife, and the kids.  No stress.

I kind of wish I could take today and do the "Groundhog Day" thing with it.

I eat chocolate and look for old cheesy god movies on TV.  Saw The Ten Commandments last night.  That was pretty awesome.  My daughters dye hard-boiled eggs in our own little secular Easter.  Now I think it is time for an Easter drink.  I'm thinking maybe rum and mango mixer.

I'm handling Easter with a few strong drinks and a bad movie or two. Right now it's a zombie movie! Glory!

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Yeah, a few stiff drinks works for me too, Brother Jeff.  I just got home from Easter Dinner with fundy daughter, her family, and her in-laws.  No booze allowed.  So I came here for a minute to decompress and now I'm off to pour me a couple of shots of Patron.  Rickyspitdrink.gif   Cheers!

Yeah, a few stiff drinks works for me too, Brother Jeff.  I just got home from Easter Dinner with fundy daughter, her family, and her in-laws.  No booze allowed.  So I came here for a minute to decompress and now I'm off to pour me a couple of shots of Patron.  Rickyspitdrink.gif   Cheers!

I'm mixing Jim Beam Devil's Cut and Coke. Good stuff! Glory! :)

• Like 1

I'm watching this terrible movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210909/

It's really bad, so it's awesome! Glory!

• Like 1

Lol!! :D

You guys make me laugh!

Cheers! I'm drinking some DiSaronno and thinking of you all, and as Brother Jeff would say..,GLORY! :D

Today was a great day. The first few years were hard but I feel like everything has fallen into place and I'm at peace now.

I went to dinner at a relative's house and no one asked me a thing! Hooray! :)

We just talked and had a good time. They don't have to, but it's kinda cool when others in your family circle accept your decisions.

• Like 1

I'm happy you had a good experience this year, Deidre. I've been hiding from everyone, lol.

My extended family who is closest to me is nominally Catholic to non-religious.  We eat delicious food and have an easter egg hunt.  

Still, I am bombarded with religious stuff on FB; the best way for me to deal with it is to continue looking at skeptical stuff and just be honest with whoever I talk to about it.  I had a good talk with my dad (a pastor) last night, but it is still hard.  I am still genuinely interested in Scripture and theology despite my unbelief, so I can at least have a good conversation with him.  Not everyone is so lucky :(

Deva! That's fantastic! Congrats and sounds like a fabulous day! I haven't read much in the way of horror I should check out what you're reading.

Blinders, isn't it sublime!? smile.png

Freedom is a beautiful thing when you unwrap it.

Thanks! Yes, "The Wide Carnivorous Sky" is great so far - a really cool werewolf story and, believe it or not, a space vampire! Another good collection is "The Beautiful Thing that Awaits Us All" by Laird Barron.   Its been quite some time since I have found so much good horror fiction being written.

it would mean a lot to her if I went on easter

BlindersRemoved: I imagine it would mean a lot to you if they stayed at home so you could all do family stuff together? I agree with you and Deidre - why should anyone pressure us to do something we have fundamental problems with, under the guise of 'family', when they could just as easily join us at home and have far more quality family time at home?

I do not subscribe to this view that says we are to blame for any social or family rupture that comes about after deconversion. It is the Christian who chooses to put their beliefs (about which they admit to being uncertain) before their relationship with the non-believer. They make a choice to alienate themselves from everyone who disagrees with their beliefs, when they choose to be (or remain) a Christian.

• Like 2

I had a wonderful fifth consecutive Easter without Jesus. My wife and I committed idolatry at the Hindu temple (which we do most Sundays), had lunch, and then enjoyed the good weather while walking around my old college campus. When going home we drove past the church I used to attend, and I've rarely been happier that I never have to return to that hell hole.

• Like 1

I have one Ex-C friend IRL. He and I met for breakfast at McD's on Easter morning and had a fabulous time discussing life.