Goodbye Jesus

People Claiming They Have Been To Heaven.

Scottsman

Guest afireinside

Yep. If the Bible was consistent and didn't contradict itself in so many ways I wouldn't mock it but it is so I can.

Ecclesiastes was written by Solomon. The book is not to be view as direct words from God,

but his thoughts and views on life.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"  2 Timothy 3:16

FAIL!!!

Again...one cannot pull a verse out of context, time, theme and make a correct judgement.

Ecclesiastes is a book that contains man’s wisdom “under the sun.” The writer is conveying his experiences in life and what he has seen. He knew that without God, life is meaningless, transitory, fleeting, useless, empty, and futile. He mentions God forty times in the book.

jesus god damn christ, TinPony!  How many times does this need to be explained to you?  If the bible is the inerrant, infallible word of an omnipotent, omniscient god, given as his inspired revelation of himself, then the message should be the same today as it was when it was given.  We should be able to read it and understand that message without extensive knowledge of ancient hebrew culture and language.  Like Romeo and Juliet.

Either all scripture is inspired by god, or not all scripture is inspired by god.  Which is it, TinPony?

TheRedneckProfessor,

How many times do I have say that to properly understand the Bible

you have to view passages in context, time, theme and purpose?

what the tinpony says, paraphase,

you can never understand the bible unless you are

hebrew literate

aramic literate

greek literate,

archelogist or something

history professor

scientist

astrophyscist

chemist

biologist

fossilist

real estate expert

marhematician

magician

philiosopher

poet

slave

slave owner

etc etc etc

in other words, you can never understand the bible without the context

Well shucks, I'm not a real estate expert nor a slave owner.  I'm damned to hell now. 

Ecclesiastes was written by Solomon. The book is not to be view as direct words from God,

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,"  2 Timothy 3:16

FAIL!!!

Again...one cannot pull a verse out of context, time, theme and make a correct judgement.

Ecclesiastes is a book that contains man’s wisdom “under the sun.” The writer is conveying his experiences in life and what he has seen. He knew that without God, life is meaningless, transitory, fleeting, useless, empty, and futile. He mentions God forty times in the book.

jesus god damn christ, TinPony!  How many times does this need to be explained to you?  If the bible is the inerrant, infallible word of an omnipotent, omniscient god, given as his inspired revelation of himself, then the message should be the same today as it was when it was given.  We should be able to read it and understand that message without extensive knowledge of ancient hebrew culture and language.  Like Romeo and Juliet.

Either all scripture is inspired by god, or not all scripture is inspired by god.  Which is it, TinPony?

TheRedneckProfessor,

What context, time, theme, and purpose can you provide that could add to our understanding of "All scripture is god-breathed"?  Seems pretty straightforward to me.

• Like 1

FAIL!!!

Ecclesiastes is a book that contains man’s wisdom “under the sun.” The writer is conveying his experiences in life and what he has seen. He knew that without God, life is meaningless, transitory, fleeting, useless, empty, and futile. He does mentions God forty times in the book and only in God is there complete understanding.

I agree that life is transitory and fleeting, which is why we need to create our own meaning, so that our life is not useless, empty and futile.  No need for an imaginary friend to do these things. 

Maybe we can help you.  What part of creating your own meaning do you struggle with?

Jeez, Redneck P. If you would only listen to ironhorse, then you would understand the Bible.

I'm a little tired of ironhorse having to tell you that stuff myself.   Shame on you.   I wonder if you are even a True Ex-Christian™ 

(Sorry Prof, but that last post he wrote to you still has me laughing so hard I have tears.)

Guest afireinside

If any of is were real, authentic Christians we never would have questioned what we believe.

We live by faith, not by SIGHT

No amount of contradictory nonsense you put before your eyes counts for anything because you have FAITH.

We never had that faith obviously or we never would have lost it.

FAIL!!!

Ecclesiastes is a book that contains man’s wisdom “under the sun.” The writer is conveying his experiences in life and what he has seen. He knew that without God, life is meaningless, transitory, fleeting, useless, empty, and futile. He does mentions God forty times in the book and only in God is there complete understanding.

I agree that life is transitory and fleeting, which is why we need to create our own meaning, so that our life is not useless, empty and futile.  No need for an imaginary friend to do these things. 

Maybe we can help you.  What part of creating your own meaning do you struggle with?

I'm not in a struggle. I'm awake.

"In a time of total self deceit, telling oneself the truth, or even letting oneself peek behind the curtain is a revolutionary act." --Duderonomy

• Like 1

FAIL!!!

You seemed to be saying that God provides meaning for your life.  That is what Solomon said and you seemed to be agreeing with him about God and meaning.  So I thought maybe you need God because without him you feel your life would have no meaning.  Since I no longer believe in God, I have been able to find my own meaning in my life and it's great.  I want you to be able to have that same kind of satisfaction in your life, so I offered to help you find it.  I guess you don't want to find meaning.

Also, not sure what you meant by saying "I'm awake".  Awake to what?

FAIL!!!

If you're awake then you'll have noticed that you made a written promise to me answer the outstanding question that have been put to you.

Do so!

I'll take any fresh questions from you, any further posts on new topics and any irrelevant messages as a sign that your written word means little or nothing.

Your 'Christian' behavior (spiritual fruit) in this forum is under scrutiny, Ironhorse.

• Super Moderator

FAIL!!!

TheRedneckProfessor,

And how many times do I have to explain to you that god is the same today, yesterday, and forevermore (Hebrews 13:8) and that his message should mean the same today as it did when it was first given?  If I can understand Romeo and Juliet without being a British Historian, then I should be able to understand the inerrant, infallible message of an omnipotent, omniscient god without fucking with context, time, theme, and purpose.  You are being intentionally thick on this point, TinPony.

With that in mind, try again to answer the fucking question:

Is all scripture inspired by god or not?

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," 2 Timothy 3:16

FAIL!!!

jesus god damn christ, TinPony! How many times does this need to be explained to you? If the bible is the inerrant, infallible word of an omnipotent, omniscient god, given as his inspired revelation of himself, then the message should be the same today as it was when it was given. We should be able to read it and understand that message without extensive knowledge of ancient hebrew culture and language. Like Romeo and Juliet.

Either all scripture is inspired by god, or not all scripture is inspired by god. Which is it, TinPony?

TheRedneckProfessor,

I think what ironhorse is trying to say is that christianity evolves the fit the society it exists in. For mass appeal. The bible is interpreted differently depending on how you need it.

If you are Kony, the bible says you must rape and pillage unbelievers. The bible says this. You must read it in the context of your times.

If you are in civil war America, the slavery passages apply. Slavery is ok because society says it is and so does the bible.

If you are living in modern America, slavery is not ok. All in context. Adapt to society.

If you are a serb, the bible says you must kill the croat muslims. In context.

Basically in summary, the bible can be used to justify anything you want. This is because it both approves of and forbids many things. God wasnt changing his mind. No no, he was trying to keep himself applicable to the society at the time. God sort of sounds like a teenage girl. Just trying to fit in.

• Like 1

Context!!!1!!1111!

• Like 2

FAIL!!!

TheRedneckProfessor,

And how many times do I have to explain to you that god is the same today, yesterday, and forevermore (Hebrews 13:8) and that his message should mean the same today as it did when it was first given?  If I can understand Romeo and Juliet without being a British Historian, then I should be able to understand the inerrant, infallible message of an omnipotent, omniscient god without fucking with context, time, theme, and purpose.  You are being intentionally thick on this point, TinPony.

With that in mind, try again to answer the fucking question:

Is all scripture inspired by god or not?

The Bible is inspired by God; but inspiration does not amount to dictation by God.

How fucking convenient

• Like 1

Come on, ya'll.  No more food for the fake horse troll.  He's got nothing to offer in return.

These sort of statements are just his attempt at putting a bit more petrol on the fire.

I'm stating what I believe concerning the inspiration of the Bible.

Viewing every word or verse in the Bible as the direct word of God

pinned by the writers is not the correct way to approach the scriptures.

It's a good view to take if you are trying to discredit the Bible.

Guest afireinside

Leaves a lot of room for individual bias and understanding of what they believe is God and it shows. God, being perfect can't even get a consistent message through to help you believers out, he made it to be so wide open to interpretation/misinterpretation that he has caused a lot of rifts and confusion. Whatever happened to meaning what you say and saying what you mean?. Lame attempt at defending the stupid non-sensical ramblings of guys who spent way too much time in the desert sun.

Everyone is entitled to his opinion - but in something as IMPORTANT as the WORD OF GOD (basically the only way we know anything about Jehovah and his will), I think it would be prudent to be sure if it's actually the WORD OF GOD. If it isn't the WORD OF GOD, then what the heck is it? You can't have your cake and eat it too. There are a lot of inspired writings in the world, both ancient and recent, that are just as profound, if not more so than the Bible… so if it isn't the WORD OF GOD.. why the fuck should anyone pay attention to it any more than one would the Bhagavad Gita, the Koran, the sayings of Confucius, the Upanishads, the Pyramid texts, Plato, or Tim Robbins?

Please.. tell me why I should believe a damn thing in it? Why should I even believe in the deity it speaks of? Might as well become a Scientologist, at least I know L. Ron Hubbard really existed.

Why not? Do you expect someone to WORSHIP and GIVE THEIR LIFE to this god (concept/belief system/whatever) on the mere writings of men? Because once you take the divine out of it - that's all it is; Hearsay, poetry, myth and the tribal rules and opinions of backwards goat herders some 3000 - 2000 years ago. Really? (ever played the kids game, "telephone?")

Oh Sage One!, please enlighten us on the CORRECT way to approach these ancient writings. (that don't actually correspond to history or archaeology)

Ahhh.. here it is.. the Christian SHAMING and guilt trip. Honey.. I studied the Bible for many, many years… really studied it - not just attending a Wednesday night study group of warm fuzzies and mutual emotional masturbation. You would NEGATE our sincere search for truth with this statement.

What your really saying here is that we approach the Bible with the intent to discredit it.. this statement is not meant for the Ex-C'ers here, it is meant for those who are on the fence, or still in doubt. It is meant to say that we can't be trusted and we have an agenda. Fuck you. Seriously. I don't play nice like some here.. when I see sophistry I call it out.

​So.. for those newbies and lurkers I will set the record straight. The vast majority of us studied the Bible to SEEK the truth of the god we already worshipped. We wept and sweated, and cried..we prayed... we read and cross-referenced… looking, BEGGING really, for god's truth and will to be revealed to us… but when we sought deeply… in prayer and sincerity… we didn't find what we thought we would. We found contradiction, and falsehoods, inconsistency after inconsistency… the leaving of reason - the denying of our own good sense - we found cruelty and immorality, and injustice. The heaviness of heart… the betrayal, the sadness and loss we came to when it became apparent that we had been lied to…. it's in the testimonies for those who really want to know what it was like, let's just say it was immensely painful. Then we had to make the choice whether to follow our conscience or live a lie. There are costly losses there too, in friends, family, lifestyle.. sometimes financial and social ruin. This wasn't a choice - it was a conclusion.

So, Ironhorse.. when you try to malign me by insinuating that I (any of us) have a dishonest agenda in such a weasly way it kind of pisses me off. It's dishonest and underhanded… and if you haven't chosen to come across that way then you lie to yourself as well. I would sit in front of a mirror and ask; who is really trying to discredit who.

and… The Bible discredits itself easily enough - it's loaded with baloney.. it doesn't need my help.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

The Bible is inspired by God; but inspiration does not amount to dictation by God.

Then no one is under any obligation to believe the bible, given that we can't be sure which parts god intended and which parts the writers invented.  It's like a movie that is "based on a true story"; it might be entertaining for some, but it isn't the truth.

These sort of statements are just his attempt at putting a bit more petrol on the fire.

Wow, just wow. Bible literalist are obnoxious but at least they have an unwavering foundation of "truth" to argue from. What you are saying here is that you have your own revelation of truth and that couldn't be more arrogant. It's ironic that you come on here and preach to us when your own words would have you labeled an apostate by anything but the most liberal church. 

• Like 1