Goodbye Jesus

Free Will

xtify

What End3 and religion/Christianity/God essentially want us to do is disregard our minds, our abilities to reason the way we can and use the Bible as the sole source of truth and build off of that. The conclusion has already been made for us. If science contradicts it, we're doing it wrong. As one Christian recently said, "If the bible told me that 2+2 is 5, I would believe it."

This is the problem with Christians and people of other faiths. If we are to believe in things that do not make sense, then anything is fair game and why would anyone disbelieve anything at all, ever?

No, I think your missing the point LC. Me personally, I think the "error" comes when we totally disregard ANY evidence, including the Bible. So I would appreciate you not lumping me in with other philosophy.

But the bible provides no evidence except to disprove its own claims. There was no global flood (no geological evidence to support it), there is no evidence the Egyptians had large-scale slavery of any people throughout history so this makes the Exodus impossible which isn't an issue because there is no evidence of a people roaming the "wilderness" for centuries in that region anywhere. I mean, the bible, is really evidence against itself. It certainly isn't a historical book of the past.

That's fine, but supposing it to by myth still sheds insight/evidence.

Every religion has not been able to stand the scrutiny. Christianity is no different. No matter how much you or others believe it. The claims are extraordinary and thus require extraordinary evidence. It can't even provide good evidence.

With as many different dogmas, beliefs, and 100% truth that conflicts with other 100% truth as presented by religion...

If we accept the standards of evidence that religion offers and translate that to say, engineering, would you:

• board a plane built with those standards
  • use a computer built with those standards
  • drive a car built with those standards
  • allow doctors to operate on you if they graduate from a med school using those standards
To my understanding, the Ark proportions were used in modern day ship design. Don't know if this is a fact, but if it is, you must pull the foot from your mouth again Roz....

A completely asinine remark that does not even address Roz's point. No one is disputing measurements and ship designs which just happen to be mentioned in the bible. Roz is pointing out that since Christians can't come to a consensus on their interpretations of scripture, it shows that their conclusions are based more in subjective impression rather than objectively verifiable evidence.

With as many different dogmas, beliefs, and 100% truth that conflicts with other 100% truth as presented by religion...

If we accept the standards of evidence that religion offers and translate that to say, engineering, would you:

• allow doctors to operate on you if they graduate from a med school using those standards
To my understanding, the Ark proportions were used in modern day ship design. Don't know if this is a fact, but if it is, you must pull the foot from your mouth again Roz....

A completely asinine remark that does not even address Roz's point. No one is disputing measurements and ship designs which just happen to be mentioned in the bible. Roz is pointing out that since Christians can't come to a consensus on their interpretations of scripture, it shows that their conclusions are based more in subjective impression rather than objectively verifiable evidence.

He missed your point regarding repeatable testing that provides similar results didn't he?  End3 can spew as much hate my way as he wants, it doesn't bother me.  His very words are recorded here for everyone to see just how illogical the christian perspective is.

You two are having a bad day.

Would you board a boat with those standards? If my note is true, then, yeah, you would.

Giving up on you two today. Peace.

He missed your point regarding repeatable testing that provides similar results didn't he? End3 can spew as much hate my way as he wants, it doesn't bother me. His very words are recorded here for everyone to see just how illogical the christian perspective is.

I'm with you Roz. He totally missed that point. When he can't answer a point, he deflects and uses asinine remarks like the above. The fact that he is here debating indicates to me that he just wants to get a rise out of atheists, and maybe make a convert. Well, he does get a rise and I'm fine with that. It's fun for me. I like to keep my thinking sharp.

• Super Moderator
I think the "error" comes when we totally disregard ANY evidence, including the Bible. 

Sorry, no. No so-called holy books, writings, "revealed" wisdom or philosophical meanderings count as evidence. They are opinion, flights of fancy, attempts to explain the as yet unexplained, but they are not anything like factual evidence.

Would you board a boat with those standards? If my note is true, then, yeah, you would.

No I'm having a great day!! Beautiful day here. This is fun for me or I wouldn't do it. Throwing false assumptions about my mood and motives is uncalled for. Stick to the content of the debate please. But that's all you seem to know how to do, make false assumptions.

And florduh weighs in! Yeah!

I think the "error" comes when we totally disregard ANY evidence, including the Bible.

Sorry, no. No so-called holy books, writings, "revealed" wisdom or philosophical meanderings count as evidence. They are opinion, flights of fancy, attempts to explain the as yet unexplained, but they are not anything like factual evidence.

I disagree...."body of information"

noun

noun: evidence

the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Read 'em and weep old man.

No I'm having a great day!! Beautiful day here. This is fun for me or I wouldn't do it. Throwing false assumptions about my mood and motives is uncalled for. Stick to the content of the debate please. But that's all you seem to know how to do, make false assumptions.

Can I ask a personal question N? Are you a young man?

Not really.  Neverlandrut, would YOU board a wooden box with no propulsion?  That has no lifeboats?  Minimal windows?  No facilities?  No safety inspections?

The christian presumes I would use such a mode of transportation.  The answer is a simple no.

So let's turn this around.  

If End3 or anyone of his family were to contract leprosy, would he use his bible's prescription?

Get two birds. Kill one. Dip the live bird in the blood of the dead one. Sprinkle the blood on the leper seven times, and then let the blood-soaked bird fly away. Next find a lamb and kill it. Wipe some of its blood on the patient’s right ear, thumb, and big toe. Sprinkle seven times with oil and wipe some of the oil on his right ear, thumb and big toe. Repeat. Finally find another pair of birds. Kill one and dip the live bird in the dead bird’s blood. Wipe some blood on the patient’s right ear, thumb, and big toe. Sprinkle the house with blood 7 times.

– Leviticus 14:2-52

Not really. Neverlandrut, would YOU board a wooden box with no propulsion? That has no lifeboats? Minimal windows? No facilities? No safety inspections?

The christian presumes I would use such a mode of transportation. The answer is a simple no.

So let's turn this around.

If End3 or anyone of his family were to contract leprosy, would he use his bible's prescription?

Get two birds. Kill one. Dip the live bird in the blood of the dead one. Sprinkle the blood on the leper seven times, and then let the blood-soaked bird fly away. Next find a lamb and kill it. Wipe some of its blood on the patient’s right ear, thumb, and big toe. Sprinkle seven times with oil and wipe some of the oil on his right ear, thumb and big toe. Repeat. Finally find another pair of birds. Kill one and dip the live bird in the dead bird’s blood. Wipe some blood on the patient’s right ear, thumb, and big toe. Sprinkle the house with blood 7 times.

– Leviticus 14:2-52

Nope! Sure wouldn't

You can ask, but I won't answer. My age is irrelevant to the debate. Judge my points and responses on their own merit.

So he called out Florduh as 'old man' and then asks another person if he's a 'young man'

Interesting... 

• Super Moderator

noun

the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

No and no. "Dianetics" is a body of information; but is it factual and relevant? If you have reason to say "no" you can use the same reasons to discount the Bible as factual information. We can't make logical conclusions if we accept any unfounded statement as a fact or relevant information. There must be an independent basis for us to assume its validity.

noun

Lots of Stephen King novels have a body of information. And it's all bullshit. :-)

• Super Moderator

So he called out Florduh as 'old man' and then asks another person if he's a 'young man'

Interesting... 

I took no pride in being young. After all, we have no control over how old we are at a given moment. However, I do feel a sense of accomplishment in reaching a ripe old age and not killing anyone along the way. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

noun

No and no. "Dianetics" is a body of information; but is it factual and relevant? If you have reason to say "no" you can use the same reasons to discount the Bible as factual information. We can't make logical conclusions if we accept any unfounded statement as a fact or relevant information. There must be an independent basis for us to assume its validity.

I don't see that it matters if said body can be used to derive the "provable".

You can ask, but I won't answer. My age is irrelevant to the debate. Judge my points and responses on their own merit.

I did and that's why I asked....

I have asked Jesus, the living God, to come down here to earth today and resolve this debate with actual living evidence. He should be here any moment. Yep, any time now. Just give him a few more minutes, ok?  :-)

Crap, it the very ICON you subscribe to !!! House always gets his cure from some other relationship...

the Holy Spirit lead me to this answer...lol.

I did and that's why I asked....

No you didn't. If you did judge my comments on their own merit, the question of my age would not have entered your mind. What you did was use my comments to make a judgment about my age, not the to make a judgment about the comments themselves. You are dishonest End3. The fact that you chose to question my age rather than address my points is a sign to me that you are incapable of adequately answering my points. I admit that is an assumption.

Dear jesus, why do you let your staunchest defenders get mauled repeatedly in the den?  

• Like 1

I deduced in my mind that you are young based on your comments. I was wanting to see if I was correct. You seem to just want to argue for the hell of it....which I consider a young man trait.

If you guys will read, it's really not out of context..

Get over it.

Right.  It is the whole world that is out of line.  English teachers teach English wrong.  Because you were not wrong.  Not you.