Goodbye Jesus

Hitchens On Billy Graham

FreeThinkerNZ

earthmama: I will just say also to be glad you are out of it. No reason to be ashamed.

I will say it is impossible for a female (yes, especially females!) raised in this kind of cult not to come out completely undamaged.  But he important thing is that we are the ones who woke up and saw what a horrible mess it is.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it isn't even actually Christianity - it is almost totally a creation of the modern era.  A Christian person living even three centuries ago (much less 1,000 years ago) would never make any sense of it.  It is a cult in every way.

We were taught and brainwashed to feel ashamed of being human and especially of being women. That is what I experienced. Its poison that I have spent the rest of my life in rebellion against. It is literally life destroying.  All of this is backed up 100% by parents and almost all the other authority figures in your life at a young age.

A person totally immersed in this cult doesn't even know the extent to which they are being manipulated and fed lies upon lies about a man's "spiritual authority in the home" and a woman's place. Women can't be spiritual authorities. They are not allowed to preach or be deacons. Its plainly because they are viewed as deficient, mentally and physically. 

My life today isn't great in some ways, but its always great that I am out of this cult.

earthmama: I will just say also to be glad you are out of it. No reason to be ashamed.

I will say it is impossible for a female (yes, especially females!) raised in this kind of cult not to come out completely undamaged.  But he important thing is that we are the ones who woke up and saw what a horrible mess it is.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it isn't even actually Christianity - it is almost totally a creation of the modern era.  A Christian person living even three centuries ago (much less 1,000 years ago) would never make any sense of it.  It is a cult in every way.

We were taught and brainwashed to feel ashamed of being human and especially of being women. That is what I experienced. Its poison that I have spent the rest of my life in rebellion against. It is literally life destroying.  All of this is backed up 100% by parents and almost all the other authority figures in your life at a young age.

A person totally immersed in this cult doesn't even know the extent to which they are being manipulated and fed lies upon lies about a man's "spiritual authority in the home" and a woman's place. Women can't be spiritual authorities. They are not allowed to preach or be deacons. Its plainly because they are viewed as deficient, mentally and physically. 

My life today isn't great in some ways, but its always great that I am out of this cult.

Life destroying is correct. As bad as it is for boys, it's even worse for girls. The primary object is to destroy self-esteem/self-confidence, the very things you need to have to escape the cult and overcome groupthink. 

Deva: thank you for that. It has been a long hard road away from that. I still am suffering the effects. I am so thankful for the birth of my daughter. It was the final piece i needed to get the courage to leave and not go back. I just couldnt imagine raising and treating my daughter the way i had been raised and treated. We are completely different parents then our parents were.

Blood: it is life destroying. I am still in therapy once a week for all the issues it has caused me. It took me almost 2 years after leaving to even go to therapy though because we were always told how bad therapy was and how it was just a form of the Devil's teachings. sigh.

I'm glad to hear it. Some people come to this board in a suicidal depression after waking up and fully grasping that they've been lied to and brainwashed their entire lives. Therapy is very important. Talking to sane persons from outside your circle is the surest road to recovery. I'm glad that your self-confidence wasn't completely destroyed. The "independent" Baptists are undoubtedly very disappointed in themselves that they didn't complete the job. 

What can I say about the nightmare of growning up female in a IBF church and one that only immediate family members attended. My grandfather was the lead pastor and my father was the assistant minister. As a female, I learned that it was sinful to be educated. It was something I would not need because my destiny was to marry and have children and cae for my spouse and children. I didn't need an education because my husband would make all the decisions for me. I was pushed towards dropping out of high school when I turned 16 and marry. Despite it all, I did not and got my high school diploma, the first female in my family to do so.

I went onto college and got a degree. I graduated in college in the early 90s and remain the only one, male or female, to do so to this day. The scars do run deep. Your whole life you are told that God sees you as a festering, putrid sore because of your sin. Witnessed use of bullwhips to drive out disobedience. Your are even more sinful when you are on your period. "all because of Eve." The daily use of the word whore (for divorced women or women who where pregnant out of wedlock), ni%%er, we#b@ck, etc.

When I escaped when I turned 18, I runs far as I could and attended a college as far as way as possible while still being eligible for in state tuition. The contempt for  education  kept everyone in my family poor so I was also able to get many scholarships and grants. The unlearning took almost decades and I became a non believer 13 years ago. I still carry the scars and I will probably always will. I continue to haven episodes of depression and anxiety. Anxiety dealing with God's desire to strike you dead instantly for the most minor of infractions and always waiting for the rapture.

I could go on for hours of the horrors of the cult of my early life. It sounds that there are others here that understand. I am so glad to be out of it.

by the way, Billy Graham was the equivalent of the antichrist when I was growing up.

So we are learning. And here I was thinking the Southern Baptists were hardcore!

I will say it is impossible for a female (yes, especially females!) raised in this kind of cult not to come out completely undamaged. But he important thing is that we are the ones who woke up and saw what a horrible mess it is.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it isn't even actually Christianity - it is almost totally a creation of the modern era. A Christian person living even three centuries ago (much less 1,000 years ago) would never make any sense of it. It is a cult in every way.

We were taught and brainwashed to feel ashamed of being human and especially of being women. That is what I experienced. Its poison that I have spent the rest of my life in rebellion against. It is literally life destroying. All of this is backed up 100% by parents and almost all the other authority figures in your life at a young age.

I will say it is impossible for a female (yes, especially females!) raised in this kind of cult not to come out completely undamaged. But he important thing is that we are the ones who woke up and saw what a horrible mess it is.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it isn't even actually Christianity - it is almost totally a creation of the modern era. A Christian person living even three centuries ago (much less 1,000 years ago) would never make any sense of it. It is a cult in every way.

We were taught and brainwashed to feel ashamed of being human and especially of being women. That is what I experienced. Its poison that I have spent the rest of my life in rebellion against. It is literally life destroying. All of this is backed up 100% by parents and almost all the other authority figures in your life at a young age.

Life destroying is correct. As bad as it is for boys, it's even worse for girls. The primary object is to destroy self-esteem/self-confidence, the very things you need to have to escape the cult and overcome groupthink.

Deva: thank you for that. It has been a long hard road away from that. I still am suffering the effects. I am so thankful for the birth of my daughter. It was the final piece i needed to get the courage to leave and not go back. I just couldnt imagine raising and treating my daughter the way i had been raised and treated. We are completely different parents then our parents were.

Blood: it is life destroying. I am still in therapy once a week for all the issues it has caused me. It took me almost 2 years after leaving to even go to therapy though because we were always told how bad therapy was and how it was just a form of the Devil's teachings. sigh.

I'm glad to hear it. Some people come to this board in a suicidal depression after waking up and fully grasping that they've been lied to and brainwashed their entire lives. Therapy is very important. Talking to sane persons from outside your circle is the surest road to recovery. I'm glad that your self-confidence wasn't completely destroyed. The "independent" Baptists are undoubtedly very disappointed in themselves that they didn't complete the job.

Yes they are. My family has basically disowned me until "I come to my senses" (aka- come back to Jesus!) They are praying for me daily. They can pray all they want I wont ever be returning. It was sad losing the only people I have known but in a way I'm glad. This way they wont be able to mess with my daughters mind like they did mine.

• Like 1

Yes they are. My family has basically disowned me until "I come to my senses" (aka- come back to Jesus!) They are praying for me daily. They can pray all they want I wont ever be returning. It was sad losing the only people I have known but in a way I'm glad. This way they wont be able to mess with my daughters mind like they did mine.

Keep the high ground with them by demonstrating maturity, empathy, fairness, integrity, honor, etc.  Some may eventually drop their ingrained xenophobia and connect with you again.

• Like 1