Goodbye Jesus

Paul Harvey Years Ago...

Guest end3

Then this goes against everything you preach. "We know the mechanisms, we know the science, we are rational, thinking, able to see the consequences", "By god, if we sow it, we know what will come up"......Which would make sense if you were an Omni type. And that boils down to humanity putting themselves above God as usual.

Someone debunk this for me in 300 words or less.

There's no point in me trying to debunk anything you believe in.  You think it's wrong for humanity to "put themselves above god" therefore you believe in a god therefore you're not openminded enough to think about a world without one.  Waste of time trying to talk with you about it.

Sounds reasonable. Would like you to participate in a few more thoughts if you don't mind. Ok, if we have no ready/natural agreement, is it still possible for us to have a meaningful relationship? (This is not personal, just asking for the sake of discussion. smile.png)

Then this goes against everything you preach. "We know the mechanisms, we know the science, we are rational, thinking, able to see the consequences", "By god, if we sow it, we know what will come up"......Which would make sense if you were an Omni type. And that boils down to humanity putting themselves above God as usual.

How can I debunk it when I can't tell what you think you are trying to say?

Do you have to impart something negative every single time you post. Please stop. I don't dislike you, but I really dislike your constant crap posts.

Sorry, I don't get it either.

Do you have to impart something negative every single time you post. Please stop. I don't dislike you, but I really dislike your constant crap posts.

I'm not being negative.  You forgot to tell us what "it" is.

Then cheese sandwiches goes against everything you preach. "We know the mechanisms, we know the science, we are rational, thinking, able to see the consequences", "By god, if we sow cheese sandwiches, we know what will come up"......Which would make sense if you were an Omni type. And that boils down to humanity putting themselves above God as usual.

End it is not my fault that you don't know how to communicate.  What you wrote doesn't seem to relate to any post on the previous page.  It's not my crap post.

Agree with MM. What is "it"? And what is an "Omni type"? I'd love to answer you, but I can't figure out what you're saying.

Could you please start praying for improved communication skills?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I can't prove it but I think Paul Harvey embellished his "stories" to a point where they would not be recognized by the real people involved in them. I got this impression from a guy on "This American Life" on NPR. He said he had worked for this radio personality who had had a program nationally syndicated for years and who would tell him (whether directly or trough someone else, I do not know) to add fiction to fact in order to make a bigger impact when the story is broadcasted. He did not name Harvey but it was clear to me that that was whom he was referring to. I was really disappointed at the time.  bill

Sorry, I don't get it either.

Me three.

I'm not being negative.  You forgot to tell us what "it" is.

Then cheese sandwiches goes against everything you preach. "We know the mechanisms, we know the science, we are rational, thinking, able to see the consequences", "By god, if we sow cheese sandwiches, we know what will come up"......Which would make sense if you were an Omni type. And that boils down to humanity putting themselves above God as usual.

End it is not my fault that you don't know how to communicate.  What you wrote doesn't seem to relate to any post on the previous page.  It's not my crap post.

Beside clarifying the pronoun "it" (bolded and enlarged above) End3 also needs to clarify the pronoun "this" (also bolded and enlarged above) and define the proper adjective/noun "Omni type" (also bolded and enlarged above).  If he does these three things, then his statements will graduate from a word salad to a strawman fallacy with a mere assertion finish.  Afterwards, we can ask him for actual evidence to support his claims.  But it won't get that far.  Just watch the passive-aggresive expert in action.

If I had to guess I think he was responding to something Florduh had said.  But I just don't get how it relates.  I think he is mixing science and religion in some confusing way.

Just because some things are connected, doesn't mean everything is somehow interconnected, nor that consequences are necessarily felt by the actor himself.

There's no point in me trying to debunk anything you believe in.  You think it's wrong for humanity to "put themselves above god" therefore you believe in a god therefore you're not openminded enough to think about a world without one.  Waste of time trying to talk with you about it.

Sounds reasonable. Would like you to participate in a few more thoughts if you don't mind. Ok, if we have no ready/natural agreement, is it still possible for us to have a meaningful relationship? (This is not personal, just asking for the sake of discussion. smile.png)

Let's see now, do these comments sound like the foundation of a meaningful relationship?

"We reap what we sow sister."

"Did you watch the clip? Pull something out of it and let's discuss rather than just hatin' on right-wingers."

I prefer not to spend my limited energy having a discussion with someone who is disrespectful and misrepresents my words.

Let's see now, do these comments sound like the foundation of a meaningful relationship?

"We reap what we sow sister."

"Did you watch the clip? Pull something out of it and let's discuss rather than just hatin' on right-wingers."

I prefer not to spend my limited energy having a discussion with someone who is disrespectful and misrepresents my words.

You are misunderstanding. I wish to discuss to illustrate something. It's not personal. If it were personal, I'd tell you I think you are a pretty good person....even leaning left and all. I don't know you, but that's my impression.

Just because some things are connected, doesn't mean everything is somehow interconnected, nor that consequences are necessarily felt by the actor himself.

Thank you. To illustrate, please bear with. If you put it in terms of people and relationships, then what I believe we can agree on is there are more intimate relationships as well as distant ones. One, like you say, you feel the effects/affects and the other, we are less emotionally involved in. Both are always connected by some means, but the proximity makes us more interconnected by default. Perhaps even our cellphone capabilities have prematurely driven us to some level of interconnectedness we are not quite ready for.

But this then leaves the issue of proximity in humans is not like proximity of atoms. Yes we have laws to govern relationships, but attraction does not follow these laws all the time. With that, there are those that would naturally agree with each other and those that disagree.

So the question is, how do we turn relationships that are not in agreement into something more harmonious.....a peaceful equilibrium.

Without becoming completely homogeneous I doubt it's possible. We COULD teach people that it's okay to disagree without being dicks about it and to seek compromise, not dominance.

Conflict is a natural human state.. as is competition and alternatively, cooperation. We thrive in adversity, we innovate and solve problems… we come together despite our differences in a lot of cases.

Peace is not our natural state… though striving for peace can be. Humans are always looking for equilibrium but our individuality is constantly in conflict with our social nature.

Don't know what this has to do with the OP. It's sociology.

Thank you. To illustrate, please bear with. If you put it in terms of people and relationships, then what I believe we can agree on is there are more intimate relationships as well as distant ones. One, like you say, you feel the effects/affects and the other, we are less emotionally involved in. Both are always connected by some means, but the proximity makes us more interconnected by default. Perhaps even our cellphone capabilities have prematurely driven us to some level of interconnectedness we are not quite ready for.

But this then leaves the issue of proximity in humans is not like proximity of atoms. Yes we have laws to govern relationships, but attraction does not follow these laws all the time. With that, there are those that would naturally agree with each other and those that disagree.

So the question is, how do we turn relationships that are not in agreement into something more harmonious.....a peaceful equilibrium.

Cause and effect isn't Karma. 

Hell, I can piss in the stream outside my house (cause) and it will be my neighbor's kid who gets sick when he swims in it (effect). 

Karma, or you reap what you sew imply I pay the price for my actions. 

Karma, or you reap what you sew imply I pay the price for my actions.

I don't see that. You harvest what you plant. My point was that often the mantra here is we know what we are going to harvest. I don't think we can say that for the very reason you specified......connected, not so much interconnected.

I call grace.

• Super Moderator

It doesn't change the fact that ego dictates the non-believer because they have no choice... 

Broke the damn Irony Meter again...

It doesn't change the fact that ego dictates the non-believer because they have no choice...

Lol, maybe you can ask your wife for more batteries?

Bottom line people....bottom line, bottom line. Bottom fucking line.

My goal has always been since I were a mere yout: We are somewhat capable of maintaining a decent relationship with those in reasonable proximity. I want to have that same relationship with anyone I encounter. What must be done to have THAT relationship with others or is it even necessary. Obviously it is, given we are about beheading and blowing each other into pieces.

My goal has always been since I were a mere yout: We are somewhat capable of maintaining a decent relationship with those in reasonable proximity. I want to have that same relationship with anyone I encounter. What must be done to have THAT relationship with others or is it even necessary. Obviously it is, given we are about beheading and blowing each other into pieces.

Once upon a time this thread was about Paul Harvey's statement.  But somehow it morphed into a relationship of Grace as most threads seem to do once you are involved.  But this relationship of Grace stuff never goes anywhere.  You just wind up mad when you can't say what you want to say.

Yes, humans are social.  We interact with each other and need to depend on each other to a point.  This is very basic stuff to those who have had the Intro to Sociology or Intro to Anthro class.  It isn't the least bit profound and has nothing to do with the divine.

Once upon a time this thread was about Paul Harvey's statement.  But somehow it morphed into a relationship of Grace as most threads seem to do once you are involved.  But this relationship of Grace stuff never goes anywhere.  You just wind up mad when you can't say what you want to say.

Yes, humans are social.  We interact with each other and need to depend on each other to a point.  This is very basic stuff to those who have had the Intro to Sociology or Intro to Anthro class.  It isn't the least bit profound and has nothing to do with the divine.

I disagree. It very much relates to the Christian message. Vigile just acknowledged things are in relationships. Instead of rehashing that, I am asking specifically for means of accomplishing those relationships or must we say it just can't happen.

Please don't dismiss this by saying it just is....nothing new, sociology, anthro...etc. It appears life and death hangs on something you want to relegate to college electives...

• Super Moderator
I disagree. It very much relates to the Christian message. Vigile just acknowledged things are in relationships. Instead of rehashing that, I am asking specifically for means of accomplishing those relationships or must we say it just can't happen.

I'm not sure how you want this to go.

Relationships exist, it's unavoidable. It's the way things work; my taxes pay for your disability, your orange tree provides my dessert, my brother works for your company and he used the money to buy me a motorcycle that I got killed on. No magic required.

What clear point are you trying to make?