Goodbye Jesus

A1 Sauce Mmmm M'ladies...dinner...is Served!

1AcceptingAThiest1

a police knock on your door looking for pee wee herman, you could say if you seen him or not, if you knew who pee wee herman was from his TV show, you have a description of him in your mind so you could say clearly if you have not seen him or if you have.

A police knock on your door asking for Big foot,Odin,Zues harry potter, curious George, you could say you seen him in a movie or book, but not in the real world.

A Police knock on your door asking for God but he doesnt have a picture of God to show you but he wants to know if you seen him. But you say you havent seen him, Police asks how do you know you havent seen him? you have to know what someone looks like FIRST, in order to tell me you have not seen him. Do you know what he looks like? give me a description so i can draw a picture and see if others neighbors can identify him

You dont know what a God is...he is fictional right? thats a cop-out what does God look like is he tall, small, big, skinny, does he have human skin, does he have fur? what are his attributes exactly? no more dancing, because thats aloot of dancing without getting paid.

Your serious with this shit? I know third graders who would see through this garbage.

thanks for playing try again.

If Spiderman showed up and I could see him, I'd believe he was real, if he could do what the comic books said he could do.

If Biblegod ever showed up and did what the Bible said he would do, I'd believe he was real.

Neither one ever did, but Biblegod promised he would in his book. That's the difference, A1.

Actually that's exactly why I believe because things in the bible have been proven true. Practical means and scientific

How do u explain when the bible knew something before scientists did?

Do you have examples?

Yes, I second this steaksauce. 

Give me an example so that I can refute it.

please don't shout a1

lol i was copy and apsting and it wrote it big on accident my apologies....btw i seen you on facebook

No, you haven't seen me on FaceBook, A1.

Here is the listing for BornAgainAtheist on FB.

But my handle is BornAgainAthiest not BornAgainAtheist.

I deliberately spell it wrong so that the word 'Theist' isn't part of my handle.  I want nothing to do with any God or any words used to describe believers in any God.

Besides, I don't even have a FB account.

Sorry A1, but you messed up.

Well, the only positive thing that has come out of reading this thread is that it induced such nausea that there is now absolutely *no* danger of Me tainting a freshly-grilled piece of strip loin with A1 sauce.

Well, if you're no longer interested in eating some steak, I'll eat it for ya. I know I'm not a lady, but I'm hungry and A1's offer for some steak sounds good to me. smile.png

When google translate makes more sense…  Wendytwitch.gif

• Like 2

please don't shout a1

lol i was copy and apsting and it wrote it big on accident my apologies....btw i seen you on facebook

I deliberately spell it wrong so that the word 'Theist' isn't part of my handle.  I want nothing to do with any God or any words used to describe believers in any God.

The things is i did not look you up by your username in this site, yyou were just already in a FB group i am in, I notced because you have the same Picture icon on FB and you also responded to my same inquiry on here as you did on facebook.

I havent seen you post recently so i cant copy and paste, but the names Keith Collura and Alexis Torres should sound familiar to you

Since i do not want to post here for your privacy the Athiest group you are actually in

put the same things i was talking about the universe being a similarity to gave me the same linsk you did on her,e you used some of the same phrases you did on here...yea.. it was defiantly you. same words phrases articles and links and same picture and writing style

please don't shout a1

The things is i did not look you up by your username in this site, yyou were just already in a FB group i am in, I notced because you have the same Picture icon on FB and you also responded to my same inquiry on here as you did on facebook.

I havent seen you post recently so i cant copy and paste, but the names Keith Collura and Alexis Torres should sound familiar to you

Since i do not want to post here for your privacy the Athiest group you are actually in

Lol, he said he's not on FB.  Plus, does it not occur to you that (a) many atheists are Star  Trek fans and admire Spock, and (b ) many such atheists probably write in a similar logical style, there being millions and millions of atheists on the intertubes?

please don't shout a1

put the same things i was talking about the universe being a similarity to gave me the same linsk you did on her,e you used some of the same phrases you did on here...yea.. it was defiantly you. same words phrases articles and links and same picture and writing style

Sorry A1,

But as I told you before... I don't have a FB account.

Maybe next time my doppelganger posts something there, you could cut and paste it to here?

I'd be curious to see who's masquerading as me.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Like 1

If Spiderman showed up and I could see him, I'd believe he was real, if he could do what the comic books said he could do.

If Biblegod ever showed up and did what the Bible said he would do, I'd believe he was real.

Neither one ever did, but Biblegod promised he would in his book. That's the difference, A1.

Actually that's exactly why I believe because things in the bible have been proven true. Practical means and scientific

Do you have examples?

Do you have examples?

Yes, I second this steaksauce.

Give me an example so that I can refute it.

This is starting to get off topic, so what is the procedure for ending a thread and starting a new one. because i dont want to get accused of abandonign a thread, but if yall fine with 30billion topics under one thread thats on you not me.

but i will answer the final question about scientific factsa and bible

other than that people have said this thread is already dead and boring so yall let me know what you want to do keep going or put this new topic in a different thread

Animal instincts understood (Job 39; Proverbs 30:24-28; Jeremiah 8:7). A newly hatched spider weaves an intricate web without being taught. A recently emerged butterfly somehow knows to navigate a 2,500-mile migration route without a guide. God explains that He has endowed each creature with specific knowledge.

Safe drinking water (Leviticus 11:33-36). God forbade drinking from vessels or stagnant water that had been contaminated by coming into contact with a dead animal. It is only in the last 100 years that medical science has learned that contaminated water can cause typhoid and cholera.

The Pleiades and Orion star clusters described (Job 38:31). The Pleiades star cluster is gravitationally bound, while the Orion star cluster is loose and disintegrating because the gravity of the cluster is not enough to bind the group together. 4,000 years ago God asked Job, "Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, or loose the belt of Orion?" Yet, it is only recently that we realized that the Pleiades is gravitationally bound, but Orion's stars are flying apart.

Atomic fission anticipated (2 Peter 3:10-12). Scripture states that “the elements will melt with fervent heat” when the earth and the heavens are “dissolved” by fire. Today we understand that if the elements of the atom are loosed, there would be an enormous release of heat and energy (radiation).

Olive oil and wine useful on wounds (Luke 10:34). Jesus told of a Samaritan man, who when he came upon a wounded traveler, he bandaged him – pouring upon his wounds olive oil and wine. Today we know that wine contains ethyl alcohol and traces of methyl alcohol. Both are good disinfectants. Olive oil is also a good disinfectant, as well as a skin moisturizer, protector, and soothing lotion. This is common knowledge to us today. However, did you know that during the Middle Ages and right up till the early 20th century, millions died because they did not know to treat and protect open wounds?

God created “lights” in the heavens “for signs and seasons, and for days and years” (Genesis 1:14-16). We now know that a year is the time required for the earth to travel once around the sun. The seasons are caused by the changing position of the earth in relation to the sun. The moon’s phases follow one another in clock-like precision – constituting the lunar calendar. The order of creation agrees with true science (Genesis 1). Plants require sunlight, water, and minerals in order to survive. In the first chapter of Genesis we read that God created light first (v.3), then water (v. 6), then soil (v. 9), and then He created plant life (v. 11).  Evolution teaches that the cosmos evolved by random chance, yet the Bible agrees with the observable evidence.

Origin of music explained (Psalm 40:3). Evolution cannot explain the origin of music. The Bible says that every good gift comes from God (James 1:17). This includes joyful melodies. God has given both man and angels the gift of music-making (Genesis 4:21; Ezekiel 28:13). Singing is intended to express rejoicing in and worship of the Lord (Job 38:7; Psalm 95:1-2).

8.The Bible describes dinosaurs (Job 40:15-24). In 1842, Sir Richard Owen coined the word dinosaur, meaning “terrible lizard,” after discovering large reptilian-like fossils. However in the Book of Job, written 4,000 years earlier, God describes the behemoth as: the largest of all land creatures, plant eating (herbivore), with great strength in its hips and legs, powerful stomach muscles, a tail like a cedar tree, and bones like bars of iron. This is an accurate description of sauropods – the largest known dinosaur family.

Laughter promotes physical healing (Proverbs 17:22). Recent studies confirm what King Solomon was inspired to write 3,000 years ago, “A merry heart does good, like medicine.” For instance, laughter reduces levels of certain stress hormones. This brings balance to the immune system, which helps your body fight off disease.Intense sorrow or stress is harmful to your health (Proverbs 18:14; Mark 14:34). Researchers have studied individuals with no prior medical problems who showed symptoms of stress cardiomyopathy including chest pain, difficulty breathing, low blood pressure, and even heart failure – following a stressful incident.

The Bible says that light can be sent, and then manifest itself in speech (Job 38:35). We now know that radio waves and light waves are two forms of the same thing – electromagnetic waves. Therefore, radio waves are a form of light. Today, using radio transmitters, we can send which indeed speak when they arrive.

i can post a million of these, you still wont be convinced, but i jsut wanted to answer your question.

Just one example of any supernatural biblical claim being proven true?  Just a little one? 

This is starting to get off topic, so what is the procedure for ending a thread and starting a new one. because i dont want to get accused of abandonign a thread, but if yall fine with 30billion topics under one thread thats on you not me.

but i will answer the final question about scientific factsa and bible

other than that people have said this thread is already dead and boring so yall let me know what you want to do keep going or put this new topic in a different thread

Animal instincts understood (Job 39; Proverbs 30:24-28; Jeremiah 8:7). A newly hatched spider weaves an intricate web without being taught. A recently emerged butterfly somehow knows to navigate a 2,500-mile migration route without a guide. God explains that He has endowed each creature with specific knowledge.

Safe drinking water (Leviticus 11:33-36). God forbade drinking from vessels or stagnant water that had been contaminated by coming into contact with a dead animal. It is only in the last 100 years that medical science has learned that contaminated water can cause typhoid and cholera.

The Pleiades and Orion star clusters described (Job 38:31). The Pleiades star cluster is gravitationally bound, while the Orion star cluster is loose and disintegrating because the gravity of the cluster is not enough to bind the group together. 4,000 years ago God asked Job, "Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades, or loose the belt of Orion?" Yet, it is only recently that we realized that the Pleiades is gravitationally bound, but Orion's stars are flying apart.

Atomic fission anticipated (2 Peter 3:10-12). Scripture states that “the elements will melt with fervent heat” when the earth and the heavens are “dissolved” by fire. Today we understand that if the elements of the atom are loosed, there would be an enormous release of heat and energy (radiation).

Olive oil and wine useful on wounds (Luke 10:34). Jesus told of a Samaritan man, who when he came upon a wounded traveler, he bandaged him – pouring upon his wounds olive oil and wine. Today we know that wine contains ethyl alcohol and traces of methyl alcohol. Both are good disinfectants. Olive oil is also a good disinfectant, as well as a skin moisturizer, protector, and soothing lotion. This is common knowledge to us today. However, did you know that during the Middle Ages and right up till the early 20th century, millions died because they did not know to treat and protect open wounds?

God created “lights” in the heavens “for signs and seasons, and for days and years” (Genesis 1:14-16). We now know that a year is the time required for the earth to travel once around the sun. The seasons are caused by the changing position of the earth in relation to the sun. The moon’s phases follow one another in clock-like precision – constituting the lunar calendar. The order of creation agrees with true science (Genesis 1). Plants require sunlight, water, and minerals in order to survive. In the first chapter of Genesis we read that God created light first (v.3), then water (v. 6), then soil (v. 9), and then He created plant life (v. 11).  Evolution teaches that the cosmos evolved by random chance, yet the Bible agrees with the observable evidence.

Origin of music explained (Psalm 40:3). Evolution cannot explain the origin of music. The Bible says that every good gift comes from God (James 1:17). This includes joyful melodies. God has given both man and angels the gift of music-making (Genesis 4:21; Ezekiel 28:13). Singing is intended to express rejoicing in and worship of the Lord (Job 38:7; Psalm 95:1-2).

8.The Bible describes dinosaurs (Job 40:15-24). In 1842, Sir Richard Owen coined the word dinosaur, meaning “terrible lizard,” after discovering large reptilian-like fossils. However in the Book of Job, written 4,000 years earlier, God describes the behemoth as: the largest of all land creatures, plant eating (herbivore), with great strength in its hips and legs, powerful stomach muscles, a tail like a cedar tree, and bones like bars of iron. This is an accurate description of sauropods – the largest known dinosaur family.

Laughter promotes physical healing (Proverbs 17:22). Recent studies confirm what King Solomon was inspired to write 3,000 years ago, “A merry heart does good, like medicine.” For instance, laughter reduces levels of certain stress hormones. This brings balance to the immune system, which helps your body fight off disease.Intense sorrow or stress is harmful to your health (Proverbs 18:14; Mark 14:34). Researchers have studied individuals with no prior medical problems who showed symptoms of stress cardiomyopathy including chest pain, difficulty breathing, low blood pressure, and even heart failure – following a stressful incident.

The Bible says that light can be sent, and then manifest itself in speech (Job 38:35). We now know that radio waves and light waves are two forms of the same thing – electromagnetic waves. Therefore, radio waves are a form of light. Today, using radio transmitters, we can send which indeed speak when they arrive.

i can post a million of these, you still wont be convinced, but i jsut wanted to answer your question.

Holy Shit you're stupid.  LOL  Sorry but you've kind of let everyone know it now.

• Like 1

If i see your name disappear from the FB group all of a sudden i will now it was you lol

Holy Shit you're stupid.  LOL  Sorry but you've kind of let everyone know it now.

i see you refuted none of them....your an awesome guy

That would be like refuting a child's argument about how the missing cookies proves Santa exists lol.

• Like 2

The Pleiades are a gravitationally bound open cluster.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleiades

Orion is not a star cluster of any kind.   It is the name we give to a large constellation.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(constellation)

The two are not the same and therefore shouldn't be compared.

The constellation of Orion is not disintegrating.

All stars in the Milky Way galaxy are in motion relative to each other and relative to the Milky Way's center of mass.  This is known as a star's Proper Motion.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_motion  

http://www.lunarplanner.com/StarsProperMotion/UrsaMajor/index.html  Please play the video, 'Persectives in Time' to see how the proper motion of the stars in the constellation Ursa Major (the Big Dipper) will change it's shape.  

This is not disintegration - this is the natural movement of the stars in our galaxy.

Refuted!

BAA

Nuclear fission is far less efficient at releasing the energy bound up in matter than nuclear fusion.

Nuclear fusion is far less efficient at releasing the energy bound up in matter than a matter / antimatter reaction.

So why would God (who doesn't lack for smarts or sheer power) rely on such an inefficient method of energy release to destroy the Earth and the heavens?

Also, fission isn't fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire

They are two totally different physical processes.

They are only fit to be compared... poetically, symbolically or metaphorically.  

A1, I am not going to waste my time refuting your nonsense examples.  If you really think they support your assertions, then you need to go back to school.  In fact, is it possible to sue schools for not providing an adequate education?  I don't know, you seem to be able to sue for anything in the US.

There is nothing to refute.  Your examples demonstrate you are profoundly delusional.  Maybe you should get some help from a trained mental health professional.

But let me go through them anyway.

Job 39 does not demonstrate understanding.  It is listing mysteries.  These are the things the authors didn't understand.  *Fail!*

Same thing for Pr 30

"24 There be four things which are little upon the earth, but they are exceeding wise:

25 The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer;

26 The conies are but a feeble folk, yet make they their houses in the rocks;

27 The locusts have no king, yet go they forth all of them by bands;

28 The spider taketh hold with her hands, and is in kings' palaces."

No understanding of animal instincts.  It is listing things the authors found mysteriours.  The Bible lacks understanding here.

*Fail*

Same problem with Jer 8:7

"Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the Lord."

Does not explain any behavior because the author found it to be a mystery.  Humans have been observing animal migration patterns for over 50,000 years.  That doesn't mean they understood what caused the behavior or that after all that time the Bible is the "source" of the information.

*fail!*

Leviticus 11:33-36 does not mention Typhoid or Cholera.  Nor does it mention germs nor anything else humans didn't learn by trial and error.   *fail!*

For 3 and 4 see posts above by BAA

Luke 10:34 does not mention germs.  It only mentions what was common knowledge to the men who wrote the Bible.  Humans were treating wounds with the what they had available since long before the Bible.  *fail!*

Gen 1:14-16 does not say the Earth goes around the sun.  Genesis leaves the impression that the sun obeys the mornings and evenings here on Earth.  The heavens are a firmament.  You know - a hard ceiling where the sun and stars live.  That firmament is what holds back the water when it isn't raining.  Gen 1 says the moon is a light when the moon isn't.  We only see the moon when sunlight hit it.  The Bible says the moon rules the night when in some phases the moon can be seen in the day.

*fail!*

The order of creation does not follow Genesis 1.  Bats are not birds.  Your ignorance is showing.  *fail!*

Evolution cannot explain the origin of music.

yelrotflmao.gif

Your ignorance is showing.  Saying "gawd dune it" is not an explanation.  It is an unsupported claim.  Evolution explains the music made by birds and other animals.  It explains humans making music as well.  Get an education.

(  *fail!*  )

Proverbs 17 says nothing about immune systems or stress.  It only says what was common knowledge to the writer of Proverbs.  By the way you have no evidence that King Solomon wrote Proverbs or that he even existed.

*fail!*

Job 38:35 does not mention electromagnetic spectrum, radio waves or light waves.    *fail!*

I'm sure you can demonstrate your ignorance in a million different ways.  It's not convincing because it is wrong.

This is not an anticipation of atomic fission. It is a concept that was many centuries old already by the time the pseudonymous writing falsely attributed to Peter was written. The notion that the cosmos would be dissolved by fire, or ἐκπύρωσις, is found already in Empedocles.

The Greek text of 2 Peter does not say that the elements will be melted. It says that they will be undone or untied, λυθήσεται. There is no mention of the concept of atoms in that text, although that concept, again, was centuries old.

The writer was not even up on scientific speculation current in his own time.

Fail.

lol thats alot of fails...holy cow cant blame a guy for trying, or actually you guys probably would.

So do we keep goign or start a new thread?

umm… no. Instincts are hereditary and come from evolution. Lots of behaviour is rooted in genetics. Sex is a good example. Animals aren't taught courtship rituals or how to reproduce. Much of sexual behaviour is a response to hormones. Flight or fight responses are inbuilt and are a response to chemical stimuli.

Some behaviour can be triggered by outside stimuli, such as temperature, decreasing hours of daylight, phases of the moon, high tides.

Richard Dawkins in The Extended Phenotype talks about the sound of rushing water inducing beavers in captivity to carry out behaviour patterns involved in building dams.

Newly-hatched turtles immediately head toward the reflections of light on water. On land they have a "walking" gait. Put them in the water or lift them into the air and they immediately switch to a "swimming" action, triggered by their sense of weightlessness.

All of this is perfectly consistent with Natural Selection. Those turtles most likely to make for the water will be the most likely to survive. Those that switch most quickly to swimming in the water will get away from predators on the beach faster. Their genes will be inherited by their offspring and such traits are improved generation after generation.

So.. the ancients observed the natural world and came to the conclusion that a deity was responsible for the behaviour they saw because they didn't understand it... and what's your point?

Seriously? You don't think that mankind hadn't made that observation since they became sentient? I'm pretty sure we would have all died out in PRE-HISTORY if we didn't notice that standing water made people sick. Even monkeys ( not apes.. monkeys) have been observed eating non-food leaves to expel worms and relieve upset stomachs.

http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/astronomy-ancients   The ancients were avid astronomers… including the Sumerians and Mesopotamians and Egyptians.. all of which date earlier than the Hebrews… Priests started out as magicians and astrologers/astronomers in ancient religions.

They were already casting bronze and iron by this time.. it's a useful allegory that have NOTHING to do with atomic science.

Ancient physicians were not total idiots… FWIW, the Egyptians were already using contraceptives before the Bible was written and doing bran surgery (or at least surgery to alleviate brain haemorrhage). Folk medicine and herbology has been practiced since before written history.

Reversed thinking… calendars were created by man to correspond with the movements of the celestial bodies.. please read the history of calendars and time. "Light" supposedly was created BEFORE the sun in Genesis.. huge fail.

Most mammals use sound to communicate… pretty sure our innate ability to be storytellers and vocalize excessively (compared with other creatures) is a natural beginning for music. Neanderthals had music… more study needs to be done in this area.

No, no no…it's WAY to vague to be a description of anything other than a large, plant-eating animal... it's probably an elephant. Please do NOT suggest that people SAW sauropods.. just… don't.

Another baseless speculation… pretty easy to observe that depressed and or grieving people are more likely to become ill. Doesn't mean they understood stress hormones.

"Can you send out lightning bolts, and they go? Will they say to you, 'Here we are'?"  I don't see this as saying what you are saying it's saying.. lightning bolts are not the same as light (photons) Lightning is electricity.. this verse is challenging the ability to command lightning.. this is a disingenuous interpretation.

Your ability at logical fallacy, poor thinking and equating ancient texts with scientific facts- without any supporting evidence is truly staggering. I am stunned.

Begging or assuming the point at issue consists (to take the expression in its widest sense) [of] failing to demonstrate the required proposition. But there are several other ways in which this may happen; for example, if the argument has not taken syllogistic form at all, he may argue from premises which are less known or equally unknown, or he may establish the antecedent by means of its consequents; for demonstration proceeds from what is more certain and is prior. Now begging the question is none of these. [...] If, however, the relation of B to C is such that they are identical, or that they are clearly convertible, or that one applies to the other, then he is begging the point at issue.... egging the question is proving what is not self-evident by means of itself...either because predicates which are identical belong to the same subject, or because the same predicate belongs to subjects which are identical.

—Aristotle, Hugh Tredennick (trans.) Prior Analytics

"The ancient Greeks were outstanding mathematicians, philosophers and scientists. One of them, Empedocles, showed that air is a material substance and not just a void, experimented with centrifugal force, knew about sex in plants, proposed a theory of evolution, speculated that light travels at a finite speed, and was aware that solar eclipses are caused by alignments of the Sun, Moon and Earth. Knowledge of astronomy was advanced. Hipparchus accurately determined the distance between Earth and the Moon , estimated the length of the lunar month to within a second, and discovered the precession of the equinoxes. Some of the achievements of the ancient Greeks are astonishing. Heron of Alexandria invented an internal combustion engine. Thales of Miletus, who lived around six centuries before the birth of Jesus, was familiar with static electricity. By Roman times elementary batteries had been invented, although no uses for them appear to have been exploited. Foundations of many modern sciences were laid by the Greeks from astronomy to botany, and even specialised fields of physics such as optics, hydrostatics, pneumatics, and mechanics. Modern mathematics is full of references to pioneering Greek mathematicians: Euclidean planes, Diophantine equations, the theory of Pappus, and so on."

The outlook of Christians was fundamentally different from that of the ancient Greeks. According to Christians, God revealed himself through the Bible and the Church. As Tertullian explained, scientific research [inquisitio] became superfluous once the gospel of Jesus Christ was available:

We have no need of curiosity after Jesus Christ, nor of research after the gospel. When we believe, we desire to believe nothing more. For we believe that there is nothing else that we need to believe.

De praescnptione haereticorum (On the Rule of the Heretic)

The Church taught that it knew all there was to be known. Christian knowledge was comprehensive and unquestionable. Rational investigation was therefore unnecessary. Existing learning was not merely superfluous, but positively harmful. Theologians were convinced that God had defined strict limits on the knowledge that human beings might acquire, and anything else was "sorcery". When Saint Paul visited the great city of Ephesus many Christians burned their books (or scrolls) because they were considered to contain sorcery. This set the tone for Christian thought for centuries. In the fourth century Eusebius attacked scientific enquiry, dismissing it as "useless labour". St. Augustine of Hippo who regarded scientific enquiry as a worse sin than lust, also said that "Hell was made for the inquisitive".

To seek to discover more was a sin and therefore also a crime, the crime of curiositas. For him, scientific curiosity ("knowledge and learning") was as a more serious sin than lust:

To this the sin [of lust] is added another form of temptation more manifoldly dangerous. For besides that concupiscence of the flesh which consisteth in the delight of all senses and pleasures, wherein its slaves, who go far from Thee, waste and perish, the soul hath, through the same senses of the body, a certain vain and curious desire, veiled under the title of knowledge and learning, not of delighting in the flesh, but of making experiments through the flesh. "

"Herbalists had existed since ancient times, and herbalism was known everywhere. The Mesopotamians, for example, knew about hellebore, hyoscyamus, mandrake and opium. The founder of pharmacology is generally regarded as an ancient Greek, Dioscorides, whose work was known in Latin as De Materia Medica. It detailed some six hundred plants and almost a thousand drugs. Such knowledge was scorned by the Church, as were contemporary herbalists. Like alchemists, they were often accused of practising witchcraft. Had churchmen taken a more positive interest they might have learned that witches' sabbats owed their existence more to hallucinogens such as hyoscine than to Satan. They might also have learned that naturally occurring compounds can be used as antibiotics and anaesthetics. Mandrake, hemp and poppy were all alkaloids traditionally used as anaesthetics. As well as hyoscine (scopolamine), modern drugs such as picrotoxin, serpasil and cocaine were all documented in ancient pharmacopeias."

"The Church retarded and even regressed other areas of medicine, rejecting sophisticated rational ideas of ancient times. Ancient peoples had practised surgery, including cataract operations, brain surgery and plastic surgery. They used ligatures. They were aware of the importance of public health and personal hygiene. Followers of Hippocrates held that every illness has a natural cause. Christianity rejected all of this. In their view illness was indisputably caused by sin, diabolical possession, witchcraft and other satanic forces. To deny it was to invite the attentions of the Inquisition. Those who carried out medical research were therefore constantly at risk. Men such as Leonardo DA Vinci were obliged to carry out research in secret. Any publicity was dangerous. The man who recognised mental illness as the explanation for diabolical possession was persecuted and obliged to flee for his life. Anyone who adopted Hippocratic techniques was regarded as a heretic. Medical assistance was an attempt to confound the will of God. A professor of medicine at Bologna who used skin grafts for plastic surgery was charged with impiety. Powerful churchmen forbade vaccination during smallpox epidemics because it was "against the natural law". Anaesthesia was prohibited on the grounds that if God meant us to suffer, then we ought to accept the suffering and not seek to ameliorate it. It was better that a woman with an ectopic pregnancy should die, in accordance with God's will, than that an operation should be performed. Christian morality informed official medicine. So it was that Christian physicians adopted the view that sexual activity was responsible for all manner of physical ills, a view that even minimal scientific research could have discredited centuries ago."

spacer.gif

http://www.badnewsaboutchristianity.com/ea0_trad.htm

• Like 1

lol thats alot of fails...holy cow cant blame a guy for trying, or actually you guys probably would.

It would be AWESOME if christians could educate themselves before making assertions they can not support.. that's all. It would be really awesome if christianity as a whole could stop pretending that they are now friends with science… it's just not true.

kai thx!

I don't blame you for trying, but like Ravenstar I am stunned at the poor standard of information you provided.  Did you really think each example through, for yourself, or did you just read them somewhere and think: they sound good, they'll do?  You should know by now we have scientists, academics, historians, theologians etc here and we have thought these things through for ourselves.

There are Christian scientist archeologicalists and biologist that have access to the same resources and scientific equipment a non scientist does yet they do not reach the same conclusion.

so are all are they all lying and being bias?

There are Christian scientist archeologicalists and biologist that have access to the same resources and scientific equipment a non scientist does yet they do not reach the same conclusion.

so are all are they all lying and being bias?

There are very few which have gone very deep in their specialties.  The ones which still do not accept evolution and an old earth are being dishonest with themselves.