Goodbye Jesus

Thanking God

chrisassaf

Astreja, for someone crediting God with your music skills, they will say that God was working through you. I mean, like using you as a puppet.

Care to answer the hard questions?

Was god absent on all failed surgeries? Or god was there but he chose to let the person die?

Why does god give serial killers and serial rapists their manipulation skills?

Just answer these two questions first. Don't dodge.

By Militant Atheist, I mean anti-theist.

Also, those same people have been known to say that if they rescued someone and they thanked God, they would put them right back in the situation they found them in.

Those people have to be careful because it will make atheism look bad, and thus reflect on you.

God did not choose the right Doctor for my sister and she died. Did she have a 'non-saved' doctor  do you think? A doctor of the devil maybe?

But prayer is supposed to work? Ask and ye shall receive? You can move mountains? So prayer should have worked that night because at least 6 churches were praying for her. Please give me your explanation Chris why god doesn't save millions of people in the operating rooms?

"Also, those same people have been known to say that if they rescued someone and they thanked God, they would put them right back in the situation they found them in."

Well,I doubt most would do anything close to what you are saying. If it was me, I would feel mostly pity for them. They are losing out on living life to the fullest by constraining themselves to something that does not even exist. But I have been in their shoes, so I would definitely have a degree of compassion for them.

• Like 1

God doesn't heal anyone or provide medication for anyone since the beginning of time  and then, after mankind spent thousands of years self educating to learn how to diagnose and treat illnesses and to perform complicated surgeries, god wants to claim credit for it? After doing nothing for thousands  of years? Jesus didn't teach anyone life saving medicine, about which he had  to know. Instead, he let humans suffer until mankind came upon medical science? In the meantime, he wanted humans to call upon his name in vain to beg for healing. Don't say that begging for help worked. If it had we wouldn't need modern medicine. What a guy! Lesson: There is no god or if there is he doesn't care or doesn't have the power to heal.  Vip

• Like 2

Also, those same people have been known to say that if they rescued someone and they thanked God, they would put them right back in the situation they found them in.

Those people have to be careful because it will make atheism look bad, and thus reflect on you.

If you are a real believer in Jesus and a real Christian who believes in following Jesus way of self sacrifice, kindness, humility and compassion, you should show it by at least answering questions above about dying people. Otherwise, you are an immature believer who acts holier than thou. How do I come to this conclusion? It is because you only replied to questions that you can answer by throwing inciting anecdote such as the one I quoted above.

• Like 1

Doesn't that seem dishonest?

I am anti-theist.  But all I do is hold an idea and express that idea.  How is that militant?  I know you are not the first person to use that label in order to discredit atheists but really you have to admit it is dishonest.  Anti-theists simply voice opinions.  It's not like we burn witches at the stake or raise armies to conquer the Holy Land.  Those are the things Christians did back when Christians had complete power.  We are not militant simply because you don't have the legal authority to murder us.

• Like 1

Also, what would your counter-argument be to someone who told you that God was working through the doctor or that God sent the doctor there, etc?

I'd ask them why their God used Hitler to kill millions of Jews when it had already demonstrated that it could kill all the babies in the world with a simple flood.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com

That's all I have to say on this issue.

• Like 9

Astreja, for someone crediting God with your music skills, they will say that God was working through you. I mean, like using you as a puppet.

Weeeell, so much for that "free will" shit.

And that "God was working through you" argument will just enrage Me further, such that My Clue-By-Four™ connects at a higher terminal velocity. 

• Like 1

I was wondering, if an atheist knows of a Christian that thanks God for recovering from a sickness instead of the doctor, that atheist will be pissed.

But, the thing is, the Christian thanks both God AND the doctor.

Also, what would your counter-argument be to someone who told you that God was working through the doctor or that God sent the doctor there, etc?

I would say that the "God" part of the explanation is an unnecessary add-on. 

Another term you don't seem to understand.  Anti-theists are not anti the people who are theists.  They are anti the idea of theism.  Important difference.

Where is your source to back up this nonsense that an anti-theist ever said they would murder a rescuee who thanked god?

I can provide numerous example of xians doing things that make xianity look bad, and thus "reflecting on you".  But I, and all the readers here, know, that doesn't mean you would do the same.

Answer the questions that have been put to you in this thread and stop trying to deflect with nonsense.

• Like 1

Another term you don't seem to understand.  Anti-theists are not anti the people who are theists.  They are anti the idea of theism.  Important difference.

Where is your source to back up this nonsense that an anti-theist ever said they would murder a rescuee who thanked god?

I can provide numerous example of xians doing things that make xianity look bad, and thus "reflecting on you".  But I, and all the readers here, know, that doesn't mean you would do the same.

Answer the questions that have been put to you in this thread and stop trying to deflect with nonsense.

Wait a minute.  In that poorly written line "those same people have been known to say that if they rescued someone" was Chris implying that an anti-theist EMT would abandon a patient who praises Jesus?

Seriously?

I call bullshit.  Chris if that is what you meant then you need to back that up with fact.  You say it has been known to happen so cough up the news stories.

• Like 2

I'm an anti-theist, as well as an atheist. I am also a pagan, and I have friends who are Christian (and Muslim, too!). A cousin who is a Buddhist and we are very close, another friend who is a Wiccan… another who is a Nag Hammadi Gnostic… etc...

I don't think I have ever gotten 'pissed' when anyone thanked god for anything, unless it was hateful. (i.e.: if say, a gay person dies or some such). However I do think it is disrespectful to those who have worked very hard to: Provide our food (farmers), heal our illnesses (doctors), protect us from harm(emergency personnel)… to give all the credit to an invisible friend.

I also think it's hilarious, highly ironic, and sad that science deniers (frequently fundamentalists) deny science on the internet.

I think that the misconceptions the religious have of atheists is rampant, ignorant and assumptive.

• Like 2

I don't think I understand. 

I don't get upset when people credit God for things. Even getting better, or big plays in American football, or anything else, really. That's their thing, I'm not going to interfere. I do get puzzled, though. I work in a public service job, and I've had a few people I've helped tell me that they could tell I was Christian, because I've been so nice. It's weird. I do feel a bit insulted by it, because it implies that they think that anyone who isn't Christian isn't a good person. I usually just politely tell them "thank you, but I'm an atheist." They're usually shocked. I'm not sure they have much exposure to anyone who doesn't think like themselves. I'm glad I can talk to anybody. I'm willing to be anyone's friend, as long as they treat people well - with empathy and compassion. I like to learn things, learn lots of things. Talk to people, talk to lots of different people. I can't imagine living afraid of everything, of people I've never met, of ideologies or philosophies I've never learned about. 

It's about treating people right. I do get upset, when children don't get treatment for diseases because adults in their life were expecting God to fix it. I do get upset, when people preach hate, xenophobia, and ignorance. That's what makes me angry. I don't care what anyone believes, as long as they don't hurt people. Harm is where I draw the line. I don't care what anyone thinks, or believes, as long as they cause no harm. A big part of this, ethically, is not pulling too big a blanket statement over any group of people. So, while some Christians perpetuate child abuse because of their faith, I certainly don't think that all Christians would do the same.

I do, therefore, take issue with the implication in the original post that "all atheists" behave like you say. Besides, a targeted criticism of a point is a much stronger and more effective position to defend, than a blanket criticism of a huge, diverse, group of people. What do you do, then, about exceptions to the over-wide rule? About myself? No moving the goalposts, no "no true Scotsman" fallacies. (If you're going to argue, I do expect some rigor.)

• Like 4

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. They're so very, very careful that they never actually say it, leaving all-knowing chrisASS to tell us what these so called "militants" really think.

• Like 1

On Reddit, an anti-theist named djryan was talking about Nina Pham when he said and I quote, "If it was prayer that worked, then inject her with the ebola again and leave her to her cure. Same for anyone that believes in crystal woo."

The link to that comment is here; http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/2kdaoa/ebola_not_again_ebola_survivor_nina_pham_said_the/

On Reddit, an anti-theist named djryan was talking about Nina Pham when he said and I quote, "If it was prayer that worked, then inject her with the ebola again and leave her to her cure. Same for anyone that believes in crystal woo."

The link to that comment is here; http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/2kdaoa/ebola_not_again_ebola_survivor_nina_pham_said_the/

So you know of no known EMT, doctor, nurse or other medical personnel who would abandon a patient?  You based all those accusations on some random internet troll?

I believe you owe all of us an apology.

• Like 5

• Super Moderator

So you know of no known EMT, doctor, nurse or other medical personnel who would abandon a patient?  You based all those accusations on some random internet troll?

I believe you owe all of us an apology.

Seconded.  This djryan fellow doesn't speak for me.

• Like 1

I never said that I knew of a doctor that I would abandon a patient. I just read the posts of a few atheists.

Do you maybe think you've been a little premature in your judgement?

I never said that I knew of a doctor that I would abandon a patient. I just read the posts of a few atheists.

For all we know you could be djryan.  Quit being a random internet troll.

@Mymistake, would a Christian go online posting as an atheist?

@Mymistake, would a Christian go online posting as an atheist?

There are plenty of liars for Jesus.  They are the trend rather then the exception.  You see building a world view around a pack of lies messes up the way one thinks.

But what have we learned about the topic?

Doctors, nurses, EMTs and so on acquire their skills from grueling work and training.  Generally their training weeds out certain bad behavior.  That is to say they are trained to act in a professional manner and it would be a rare scandal if one of them were to abandon a patient for petty personal reasons such as religion.

Musicians and cooks acquire their skills in their art through practice and training.

It is deeply offensive when Christians dismiss all the hard work of all these different people just the thank their imaginary friend but the rest of us are use to Christians being rude so we carry on anyway.

• Like 2

The depth of your research is stunning.

• Like 3