Goodbye Jesus

The "knowing Feeling" That Christ Is Real, Psychosomatic?

Guest Ask21771

Then why does it feel like if why does it feel so much like the truth I need an answer

It's an emotion.  You can feel angry at somebody even when they did no wrong.  You can feel guilty even you have done nothing wrong.  You can feel afraid even when there is no danger.  Feelings are emotions.

Guest Ask21771

Then why does it feel like if why does it feel so much like the truth I need an answer

It's an emotion.  You can feel angry at somebody even when they did no wrong.  You can feel guilty even you have done nothing wrong.  You can feel afraid even when there is no danger.  Feelings are emotions.

But it didn't feel like an emotion it felt like a clarity a super certainty like something was revealed to me I just need to know if the mind is capable of making you feel that

But it didn't feel like an emotion it felt like a clarity a super certainty like something was revealed to me I just need to know if the mind is capable of making you feel that

If it isn't an emotion then show me the empirical data.  You have facts for Jesus, facts that can be measured objectively?

In contrast you believe that Barack Obama is real because you have seen photos and videos of him.  Perhaps you know somebody who has seen him live.  These are objective facts.  There are pics of Obama that were not photoshopped.  If you attend one of his rallies you can see Obama with your own eyes.  You don't invent Obama with your emotions or imagination the way I use to invent my demons (or for that matter, my own certainty of Jesus).

Now besides yourself and your own internal thoughts where does this certainty of Jesus come from?  If there is no outside source then it must be inside your head.  Sorry, I've been there myself but feeling real isn't enough to actually make it real.

Perhaps you could spend some time researching brain chemistry.

Definitely it is. Otherwise we wouldn't have those very vivid dreams that we don't understand are dreams until they are over and we wake up. 

Guest Ask21771

Definitely it is. Otherwise we wouldn't have those very vivid dreams that we don't understand are dreams until they are over and we wake up.

So no matter how real it feels its only my mind?

What does truth 'feel' like? A good buzz? Smoking pot gives a better buzz.

Guest Ask21771

What does truth 'feel' like? A good buzz? Smoking pot gives a better buzz.

Like some kind of confirmation

Has anyone felt what I'm describing

Yes.  But that isn't going to make your feeling true.  Have you ever studied epistemology?  It might help.  Emotions are not reality.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/epistemo/

Guest Ask21771

Yes.  But that isn't going to make your feeling true.  Have you ever studied epistemology?  It might help.  Emotions are not reality.

I don't want it to be true I'm asking because if anyone has truly felt what I've felt and later realised it wasn't real that will help me

I don't want it to be true I'm asking because if anyone has truly felt what I've felt and later realised it wasn't real that will help me

Yes.  I wasted my entire life because I was sure Jesus was real.  I felt it was true to the core of my being.  I was also certain that Jesus was going to come back and the world would end before the 1990's.  Later on I become sure that Jesus would return and the world would end before the year 2000.

Ask, ultimately YOU have to decide whether or not what you think you feel is real.

I used to "know" that God was real because my prayer often involved 2-way communication. Not auditory hallucinations, just inside my head. But it didn't feel like me, it felt like something from outside of me. And it helped me out, that Voice, that Feeling... pulled me back from suicide once. I felt like I "knew His voice", because it was a particular feeling, different from all the other thoughts in my head.

And then one day, while I taking my questioning seriously, I decided I wanted to feel "God's presence" and I did. And then I made it go away again. If I could control it like that, choose when "God showed up", then it wasn't really ever God. It was pretty heartbreaking to realize that this friend who'd been there for me and known my deepest secrets was just... some aspect of my subconscious. Or maybe my "higher self". But not God. Not someone not-me who loves me. I was alone, and I had always been alone and always would be. Alone inside my head, never with some telepathic, powerful Other who would know what I meant even when I didn't have words for it, who would know what I needed even when I didn't.

There's some comfort that if that Voice was always inside of me, then the benefits I got from it are things I can get from myself. And the unanswered prayer was never God not being there for me and wanting me to suffer. I learned that I can take action to get the changes that I need in my life instead of just begging a voice in my head for things to change. And after a few years, when the pain of the loss had diminished, I was able to start playing with altered states of consciousness again to try and get some of the good feelings back, knowing that all I was doing was manipulating brain chemistry. In case you're curious, I don't use any external chemical help; I can reach those states easily enough with mediation and music and wanting it hard enough. Sometimes they end sooner than I'd like or aren't as strong as I'd like, but that's better than drugs keeping me in an altered state when I'd like to come back to myself, or having long-term side effects.

I think... sometimes we underestimate our bodies. People say that it's "just" brain chemistry, as if that makes it less real. But if materialism is true, and we are made out of brain chemistry without souls, then things in our brain chemistry are as real as it's going to get. If you think a god ever did something for you, changed the course of your life, fixed a problem that you'd been struggling with, but instead it was "just in your head"... then that means that you're not helpless. That there are way to work with your own brain/mind to manifest the changes that you want in yourself (and it does take work, and requires developing some skills - many of which a shrink can help you learn; a psychologist isn't there to fix the problems in your life, they're there to teach you how to do it yourself). That power belongs to us, not to a god.

One other note about emotions and strong feelings - they are real, and they mean something, but they don't always mean what you expect them to. Sometimes my negative emotions, feeling worthless and afraid and unloved, just mean that my blood sugar is dropping and I need food. Doesn't mean that I am actually worthless or unloved. That's where a lot of anxiety issues come from - when you are legitimately afraid of something, your brain triggers changes in your body to prep you to deal with the situation. But sometimes your body gets messed up and starts doing those things on its own... then your brain goes nuts trying to figure out what's going on, and since that's the same thing that it causes when it is afraid, it decides you must be feeling afraid. Then it tries to find something to be afraid of! I can usually tell when the anxiety isn't "real" because I can feel it fishing for something to be afraid of, and it will often latch on to really weird things. Brains like to explain everything and put a storyline to sensations, and if you don't know the true story your brain will make something up for you.

• Like 1

It's a feeling that is very context based.if you were not a christian or not in a church or read books that had such an experiences then the context wouldn't be there and it wouldn't happen or you'd write it off as a "weird" event and forget it.I kno that's obvious but that's how I see it.Just like gods voice etc your subconscious eventually manufactures this kind of thing coz of peer pressure or coz you are seeking it.

It also gives a validation I sought alot."aah I've had a spiritual experience. ...just after I prayed about such and such.there god is saying yes"

Or its validation ur 'getting somewhere in the christian walk.the "greats" of history had this and the real saints in my church get this and now I'm having it.its validation of ur investment.

When I prayed or read the bible or especially when I sang church songs I felt "The Spirit" ... Is that what you're talking about? I can generate that feeling now without thinking about Jesus. Not sure if that's what you're talking about.

Guest Ask21771

When I prayed or read the bible or especially when I sang church songs I felt "The Spirit" ... Is that what you're talking about? I can generate that feeling now without thinking about Jesus. Not sure if that's what you're talking about.

It might be the best way I can describe what I felt was that Jesus was telling me he's real

Guest Ask21771

I don't know if this matters but a second before I had the feeling I was thinking about something related to Christianity

It might be the best way I can describe what I felt was that Jesus was telling me he's real

Sounds like bipolar.  Ultimately Ask, the ball is in your court.  What are you going to do about it?  You can be rational and accept that your mind plays tricks on you or you can turn back to Christianity and spend the next few years giving 10% of your income to a scam-artist preacher. 

Guest Ask21771

Sounds like bipolar.  Ultimately Ask, the ball is in your court.  What are you going to do about it?  You can be rational and accept that your mind plays tricks on you or you can turn back to Christianity and spend the next few years giving 10% of your income to a scam-artist preacher.

I don't want to be a part of a religion use ideas I have serious problems with I also don't want to burn in hell forever

I don't want to be a part of a religion use ideas I have serious problems with I also don't want to burn in hell forever

Well what a fortunate coincidence . . . hell is a myth.  See, this is the real Good News!  There is no heaven, no hell, no gods watching you or judging you.  It's just a silly story people made up.

No offense but considering were talking about eternity I'm gonna need something other then your opinion to feel safe

Not just my opinion.  It is all the facts that are known.  Every time we dig up an ancient culture we find little idols.  They invented gods.  And all of these different gods are as unique as any fictional character out of any story.  But the kicker is that the gods of one culture are mutually exclusive to the gods of all other cultures.  It is human nature to invent fictional gods.  Jesus is just as fake as Ra, Thor, Zeus and the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

There is no objective evidence that any god exists.  Yet there is a ton of evidence that humans invent gods.