Goodbye Jesus

I Still Think I'm Right

Guest end3

I have some news to impart to you, End.

Not now.  Tomorrow, some time.

Till then.

LeslieWave.gif

OK, let us talk about GC or Gas Chromatography. Do you know why different hydrocarbons are exiting the column at different time?

Yes do you

Yes, I do know. Can you please explain why? Again, I want to know how true your claim of having a chemistry degree is.

(To let you know that I know the answer I will give this clue: this has to do with how ****** configuration sticking to *******. There is a scientific name for this called <10 letter word>)

Edit: I forgot another parameter. Not all GC deal with <10 letter word>. Some GC separate the chemicals simply because how the compound interact with the gas. This is why the gas has to be <5 letter word>.

Yes do you

Yes, I do know. Can you please explain why? Again, I want to know how true your claim of having a chemistry degree is.

(To let you know that I know the answer I will give this clue: this has to do with how ****** configuration sticking to *******. There is a scientific name for this called <10 letter word>)

Edit: I forgot another parameter. Not all GC deal with <10 letter word>. Some GC separate the chemicals simply because how the compound interact with the gas. This is why the gas has to be <5 letter word>.

Are we talking a packed column or capillary. What carrier gas are we using? Is there more than one kind? If there is, what are the benefits and drawbacks of each kind? Retention times? Integration parameters? Baseline stability? Flow rates? What type detectors? What compounds does a typical gas analysis cover? Sample size, sample containers? Types of sample containers? Sampling technique? Injection technique? Purge times? Analog vs. electronic flow controllers? Standards? How to pick a standard? Do we use more than one? Regulators? Tubing types? Tubing sizes?

Is this enough for you or you would wish to continue this exercise.

Yes do you

Are we talking a packed column or capillary. What carrier gas are we using? Is there more than one kind? If there is, what are the benefits and drawbacks of each kind? Retention times? Integration parameters? Baseline stability? Flow rates? What type detectors? What compounds does a typical gas analysis cover? Sample size, sample containers? Types of sample containers? Sampling technique? Injection technique? Purge times? Analog vs. electronic flow controllers? Standards? How to pick a standard? Do we use more than one? Regulators? Tubing types? Tubing sizes?

Is this enough for you or you would wish to continue this exercise.

I don't doubt you know a lot about how to run a GC. I don't doubt your claim that you are running GC in an analytical lab. What I doubt is your claim of having a chemistry degree, which basically you imply a 4 year college bachelor of science degree. (I put out the reason why I am doing this in a few posts above already. I am not so crazy as to do this to someone in an internet forum) All those questions that you wrote up there are typical questions when you run the GC but not questions that lead to understanding how the GC works. And right now I want to probe how well you know how a GC work.

My question still stands because you haven't answered it. Why are different compounds exiting the GC column at different time / why do compounds have different retention time? You can explain it using some examples of hydrocarbons, any example of the carrier gas and any type of GC. You can have the parameters of sample size, injection technique, etc constant. Also, you pick a topic that I have an experience in doing. I used GC 15+ years ago in organic chemistry classes. I know it was ancient however I know the principles are still the same. I also have the luck to use HPLC about 15 years ago too.

My question still stands because you haven't answered it. Why are different compounds exiting the GC column at different time?

You didn't specify packed or capillary.

....different compounds, different sizes.

My question still stands because you haven't answered it. Why are different compounds exiting the GC column at different time?

Pick one. Explain it.

What do you mean by sizes? Sizes of what? What sizes of the compounds that made a compound has a higher retention time than the other? How sizes? Big? Small? Long? Short?

Pick one. Explain it.

If I am remembering correctly, packed columns are more of a physical separation based on compound size. The analogy my professor gave back in the day was if a dog, a human, and an elephant ran through a church, the dog would exit first because it could run under the pews to go from a to b where the human would finish second because of a more limited path, and the elephant last because it might have only one way...down the center isle. I think the tag on my packed columns are DC 200/500. I think one number might designate mesh size and not sure what the other number is without reviewing.

Pick one. Explain it.

If I am remembering correctly, packed columns are more of a physical separation based on compound size. The analogy my professor gave back in the day was if a dog, a human, and an elephant ran through a church, the dog would exit first because it could run under the pews to go from a to b where the human would finish second because of a more limited path, and the elephant last because it might have only one way...down the center isle. I think the tag on my packed columns are DC 200/500. I think one number might designate mesh size and not sure what the other number is without reviewing.

This is a rudimentary understanding for a bachelor of science in chemistry. I don't see any terms being used such as long chain hydrocarbons, molecular weights, molecular configuration, molecular conformation, adsorption, inert gas, etc. Can you explain it in those terms?

So you tell me, in a typical C6+ analysis, what size compound comes out first and why.

I am not an expert in natural gas or petroleum industry however I can give my best educated guess.

First, I am going to assume the carrier gas is an inert gas (hydrogen or helium?). I assume C6+ means hydrocarbons with more than 6 carbon chains. I predict the first one that comes out will be the compound with the least MW.

Do you know what MW stands for?

Last one ma'am....not going to play this game much longer. Heavier, longer chains, would be analogous to the elephant, eluting later because of size. But actually, the my GC's are configured where they come out first as one peak....then the lower molecular weight stuff comes out next. I use helium as a carrier gas because it is inert. I also run an extended analysis where there is a separate sample loop that goes onto the capillary column.

I was a rudimentary student...

So you tell me, in a typical C6+ analysis, what size compound comes out first and why.

I am not an expert in natural gas or petroleum industry however I can give my best educated guess.

First, I am going to assume the carrier gas is an inert gas (hydrogen or helium?). I assume C6+ means hydrocarbons with more than 6 carbon chains. I predict the first one that comes out will be the compound with the least MW.

Do you know what MW stands for?

They configure the GC where everything goes on the column at one time......the light stuff races off and then they do a switch where the heavier stuff that is left behind gets run back to the detector first. You are right in that C6+ is the hexanes and heavier. If you didn't turn the heavy stuff around I don't think you can see much past the C7's with the packed columns I have. The integration would suck per the peak resolution.

...molecular weight.

See, you made me look up the DC 200/500. DC 200/500 is silicone oil? Thirty percent by weight on Chromosorb P, 80 to 100 mesh, acid washed.

Not sure the chemistry involved....had always understood it as a physical separation.

How about molecular configurations? Does the most compound of natural gas only have 1 type of configuration? Why? Does the most in terms of volume the same as the most in term of mole?

This is not a game for me. You claim you know science and you use that to dismiss other people that you see as inferior in their knowledge of science. Now you claim you are only a rudimentary student. Do you admit you were wrong to dismiss those with less science knowledge in discussion?

See, you made me look up the DC 200/500. DC 200/500 is silicone oil? Thirty percent by weight on Chromosorb P, 80 to 100 mesh, acid washed.

Not sure the chemistry involved....had always understood it as a physical separation.

GC is physical separation!

I am seriously asking, do you have a bachelor of science in chemistry?

This is not a game for me. You claim you know science and you use that to dismiss other people that you see as inferior in their knowledge of science. Now you claim you are only a rudimentary student. Do you admit you were wrong to dismiss those with less science knowledge in discussion?

I didn't dismiss anyone. That's the way you perceived it. Jeff said I was typical. I asked him how so. You went off on that thinking I was denigrating him. Not the case.

I've played your game as much as I wish to participate. As I stated to BAA, I don't dismiss the current limits of science but do refuse to acknowledge them as permanent boundaries.

Sorry if you disagree. There is a lot of disagreement in what science can and can't do. You are not the final authority.

Blessings as always.

No, don't think it is totally.

A Ben Carson wannabe.

It is!

This is an excerpt from a UC Davis Analytical Chemistry course:

Gas chromatography is a physical separation method in where volatile mixtures are separated. 

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Analytical_Chemistry/Instrumental_Analysis/Chromatography/Gas_Chromatography

My question, do you have a bachelor of science in chemistry?

I didn't dismiss anyone. That's the way you perceived it. Jeff said I was typical. I asked him how so. You went off on that thinking I was denigrating him. Not the case.

I've played your game as much as I wish to participate. As I stated to BAA, I don't dismiss the current limits of science but do refuse to acknowledge them as permanent boundaries.

Sorry if you disagree. There is a lot of disagreement in what science can and can't do. You are not the final authority.

Blessings as always.

This is what I mean. You don't even have a good understanding of science thus you don't have a claim of mixing science with your personal experience and claim it as science.

I say you don't have good understanding of science because of a few exchange that we just have. The easiest is the last one where you claim GC is not all physical separation. Based on your claim you have been running GC for years yet you don't know this fundamental information.

It is!

This is an excerpt from a UC Davis Analytical Chemistry course:

Gas chromatography is a physical separation method in where volatile mixtures are separated. 

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Analytical_Chemistry/Instrumental_Analysis/Chromatography/Gas_Chromatography

My question, do you have a bachelor of science in chemistry?

Partition coefficients between the mobile and stationary phases. I'm guessing the silicone oil and the helium.

Yes.