Goodbye Jesus

"gay Marriage Is Icky."

MrSpooky

Gay marriage is icky, so it should be banned.

Oh, and old people having sex is disgusting too, so ban that.

And while you're at it ban string beans, they make me get a sick, hollow feeling deep in my chest and I want to puke whenever I eat them.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Amanda

• Lycorth

• MrSpooky

• charley

However, do NOT impugn my integrity on such shallow grounds.

:)Mr. Spooky, excluding this thread... you and I have sat on opposing sides of the table many times. I must say that you are one of the posters that I have great respect for your integrity, from my initial days here. You've impacted my beliefs very much by your genuine objectivity and value of integrity! It's amazing how on different threads, people will comment that we need to ask you about the authenticy or dynamics of something. :thanks:

This guy has so many problems in his "logic" that it's hard to know where to start. My comments are in blue...

Well spoken, as usual, TexasFreethinker.

Xians are really just too nosey aren't they? As if they have nothing better to do than sit around and pot stir their whole lives. :toilet:

The bible is fundamentally opposed to a society based on diversity and individual freedoms.

:)Texas Freethinker, in all fairness, I think what the Xians say the Bible says and what it says are two different things almost ALL the time. IMO, especially the new testament does NOT say there is anything wrong with being gay/lesbian!

The bible says thou shalt have no other god before me. A free society says you can have whatever gods you want, or no gods at all.

I think this is speaking of holding what is sacred at the forefront, and the significance of everyone and all things to be held into divine consideration. We too are gods. :shrug:

The bible says those who aren't christians are worthy of an eternity in hell simply because they are human. A free and diverse society says all have worth and are deserving of happiness simply because they are human.

IMO, Xians say the first, the scriptures say the latter.

When fundamentalist christians attempt to use the government to force the rest of us to obey their religious laws they reveal their true feelings about personal liberties.

Yes, it is very sad. :(

Texas Freethinker, in all fairness, I think what the Xians say the Bible says and what it says are two different things almost ALL the time. IMO, especially the new testament does NOT say there is anything wrong with being gay/lesbian!

One of the problems with using the bible as any kind of guide for life is that it's vague and/or contradictory about almost every topic it covers. People who have accepted modern thinking about individual freedoms can find verses to support their viewpoint. People who take a more repressive stance on individual rights can find plenty to support their point of view. There are at least two verses in the New Testament that (based on translation) are fairly to extremely explicit that there is a problem with homosexuality...

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (New International Version)

9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 1:26-32 (New International Version)

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Amanda, you may have decided not to interpret these verses as anti-gay, but it's easy to see why most people would see the anti-gay bias in these verses.

However, do NOT impugn my integrity on such shallow grounds.

:)Mr. Spooky, excluding this thread... you and I have sat on opposing sides of the table many times. I must say that you are one of the posters that I have great respect for your integrity, from my initial days here. You've impacted my beliefs very much by your genuine objectivity and value of integrity! It's amazing how on different threads, people will comment that we need to ask you about the authenticy or dynamics of something. :thanks:

Well that is quite sweet of you, Amanda, and it's flattery I'm sure others deserve as well, if not moreso. My knowledge is primarily built up from others' after all. :grin:

I hope you don't think less of me for my rather miffed outburst. I did my best to keep a civil tone but a few things like that just rub me the wrong way. I can understand internet skepticism but there's a point where it becomes needlessly cynical. :shrug:

One of the problems with using the bible as any kind of guide for life is that it's vague and/or contradictory about almost every topic it covers. People who have accepted modern thinking about individual freedoms can find verses to support their viewpoint. People who take a more repressive stance on individual rights can find plenty to support their point of view. There are at least two verses in the New Testament that (based on translation) are fairly to extremely explicit that there is a problem with homosexuality...

9Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Amanda, you may have decided not to interpret these verses as anti-gay, but it's easy to see why most people would see the anti-gay bias in these verses.

I think those verses display only anti-gay hatred; I know I'm going off on a tangent a bit, but look at the verses I bolded and colored red. Gawd in one breath "gave them over to" (ie, magically encouraged) homosexual behavior and in the next decrees that they deserve death - for doing what Gawd is supposed to have encouraged in the first place! Just one more glaring example of the hypocrisy and error of the Babble, and why it truly does fail as a guide to life and morality.

I think those verses display only anti-gay hatred; I know I'm going off on a tangent a bit, but look at the verses I bolded and colored red. Gawd in one breath "gave them over to" (ie, magically encouraged) homosexual behavior and in the next decrees that they deserve death - for doing what Gawd is supposed to have encouraged in the first place! Just one more glaring example of the hypocrisy and error of the Babble, and why it truly does fail as a guide to life and morality.

I don't think that "gave them over" means he encouraged it. I'm pretty sure that the message is saying he abandoned them to their own lusts because they didn't choose Him. Because of this, they deserve death, knowingly turning their backs on God's Law.

If he didn't encourage it, as I believe, then he simply handed them over to those forces which tempt humans into homosexuality. "Gave them over" implies releasing something within or under your authority to the authority of something or someone else. For Gawd to have given them over must mean that, if he didn't encourage homosexual behavior, he willingly handed them over to it and those eeevil spiritual forces that cause it - then condemns those who give into that which they were handed over to in the first place.

Sick and wrong - but genuinely Xian.

One of the problems with using the bible as any kind of guide for life is that it's vague and/or contradictory about almost every topic it covers.

Hopefully people will just use common sense, rational thinking when making laws to protect ALL people's right to pursue happiness. Why would ANY book be needed?

People who have accepted modern thinking about individual freedoms can find verses to support their viewpoint. People who take a more repressive stance on individual rights can find plenty to support their point of view. There are at least two verses in the New Testament that (based on translation) are fairly to extremely explicit that there is a problem with homosexuality...

:)Texas Free Thinker... Why do we let the majority of people twist these words of a book to support their own agenda? Sheesh, they want to assert that the book says something, then let's see what it really says... and it will be confounding their lies and more lies by exposing the REAL truth, instead of just letting it stand in the lies they say?

This is saying that disrespectful behavior, to self or others, is going to keep us away from the kingdom of God that is within us. The war between heaven and hell is in our minds! IMO, these verses are saying we should not sell our bodies, nor take advantage of those that do so also. That's all. Read it again! Nothing wrong with the actual homosexual act!

That is the verses most often used by the religous right, AND IT IS TALKING ABOUT THEM... NOT GAYS!!! Please, get rid of the spin for the religous right's own agenda and read it AGAIN! We need to consider these verses before the ones you've posted...

1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

THINK! This sounds like the religous right... even of TODAY! Nothing has changed!!! How could this be about gay people? Hmmmmm?

1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Oh yes, this is the religous right trying to establish their pecking order as better than the rest of us! They want to be the alpha male, or whatever! I don't see this in gays at all! THINK about it!!!

1:24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Who has the lust of their own hearts dishonor their own 'body of people' (denominations) between themselves!?!?!? The religous right changed the truth into a lie... NOT THE GAYS! They worship man more than God (what is sacred, loving, and compassionate)!

Now, before you read Romans 1:26-32 AGAIN, lets keep in mind a few things. Women who gave up their natural relations for unnatural ones is speaking of a lactating woman, a nurturing side of herself! That is what she gave up, as do the women of the RELIGOUS RIGHT, not lesbians!!! Men also gave up their natural relations with their nurturing sides of them self and lusted after each other... like the men of the RELIGOUS RIGHT do! Not gays!!! Prime root meaning for woman found here.

Which do you think, gay/lesbians or the religous right are doing the following:

29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

Texas Free Thinker, you know... I am not gay/lesbian... I have nothing to personally gain except to know the truth. :shrug: My gosh, just think about it without the spin... that's all I'm asking. Anyway, it doesn't really matter if you agree with me or not, it just makes me angry that a group of people get by twisting something to fit their own agenda and no one says anything. :vent:

Amanda..that's some interesting interpretation ya got there. And quite a bit of acrobatics too.

It says what it says..and its bullshit, through and through.

The bible is full of this crap. Both old and new testaments. To read something into it that isn't there.. :nono:

For me..reading what you interpret and defend these verses to say is almost more frustrating than reading a fundie's take on homosexuality.

The more I read..the less value I find in that book. And if I have to twist it that far (which I tried to do at one time), I'd rather not believe any of it.

Amanda..that's some interesting interpretation ya got there. And quite a bit of acrobatics too.

It says what it says..and its bullshit, through and through.

The bible is full of this crap. Both old and new testaments. To read something into it that isn't there.. :nono:

For me..reading what you interpret and defend these verses to say is almost more frustrating than reading a fundie's take on homosexuality.

The more I read..the less value I find in that book. And if I have to twist it that far (which I tried to do at one time), I'd rather not believe any of it.

The bible is complete fiction... and bad fiction at that.

It is what it is... Utter bullshit. :toilet:

If you want to read fiction, try a real classic like Dickens, Milton or Faulkner.

The bible is complete fiction... and bad fiction at that.

It is what it is... Utter bullshit. :toilet:

If you want to read fiction, try a real classic like Dickens, Milton or Faulkner.

If you want a real Bible, try Lord of the Rings. It's actually about freedom and genuine human values, and makes sense on the first read, too.

it just makes me angry that a group of people get by twisting something to fit their own agenda and no one says anything. :vent:

It doesn't look like they are twisting anything Amanda...it looks like you are twisting the meaning to fit your own agenda/beliefs.

Oh yeah... another thing I forgot, the only people that Jesus got angry with are the Pharisees, the self righteous religous right of those times... who think just like the self righteous religous right of these times. He didn't say anything derrogatory to even the woman caught in adultery but rise and go and sin no more. Jesus never said anything bad to a gay person, only to the self righteous religous right! He told them that the harlots and the sinners shall see the kingdom of God before they would! That's another reason I think Romans 1 is about the religous right AGAIN! It follows the same pattern!

And I agree that the Bible has a lot of mythology, OT is written by people that had recently stopped being nomadic, no supernatural anything in it, and the NT character of Jesus was born a man just like the rest of us, he has had a lot of myths superimposed on him too, and IMO was a great social revolutionist that tried to stop these same things most of us on this site are against. If he came today, the religous right would still try to kill him again and it would be these people on here that would stick up for him. :shrug:

There are plenty of books to read that are probably better than the Bible. I happen to think these teachings of Jesus are more Buddhist than any one thing. Madeline O'Hare has written some great things too! I'm certainly not saying its the best book for identifying values to live by in life. I just think that through the ages, it got hijacked to serve people's own agendas. Additionally, it would be nice if society would recognize it.

Asimov, I just saw your post... I think you are a very intelligent young guy, so HOW do you think that I have interpreted it wrong? Just because people have said that for many years doesn't make it any more right than the sun revolves around the earth. Throw away any spin, think with a clear critical mind, and tell me just how I have twisted it. :thanks:

Amanda, I have much respect for you and I think you're very intelligent; I can see the point you're trying to make so don't think me rude, but I have to agree with Asimov and the others. The Bible is clearly anti-homosexuality, and the verse you cited about "homosexual offenders" not being good enough for heaven is pretty explicit. Jesus may have only gotten angry with the Pharisees, this is true, but his fan club had plenty to say about everyone else. Seems pretty cut and dry to me :shrug:

:)Serene Aspirations and Wolfheart, I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Even those that study history of the first century agree. Here is someone else's opinion here and here. An interesting quiz on homosexual history is here.

:)Serene Aspirations and Wolfheart, I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Even those that study history of the first century agree. Here is someone else's opinion here and here. An interesting quiz on homosexual history is here.

Fascinating links, Amanda, especially the first. Good food for thought, but on the other hand it does little to convince me the Babble isn't anti-gay. Of course, homosexuality wasn't that big of a deal, especially not how Fred Phelps and his gang like to pretend, but it was still there - and still considered sinful.

After all, if even sex between a husband and wife was considered not nearly as "holy" as abstaining altogether, how much more sinful must homosexuality be, where two men or two women engage in sex without the possiblilty of having their relationship "sanctified" under Jewish law and without the possiblilty of their sexual activity bringing forth children to turn into little Xians? That's the only kind of sex Xianity today can tolerate, the kind between a husband and wife, since it is the only way to fill the pews - and since Jesus™ isn't coming back as soon as the gospel gang said he would, they can't forbid sex and procreation altogether.

But they can harp endlessly on the kind of sex that does not allow for procreation and filling the pews, and that's homosexual sex. Abstinence doesn't fill the pews either, but that is clearly praised in the Babble - homosexuality isn't. Homosexuality is both an act of sex (which is dirty to begin with, according to the Babble) and one that must necessarily happen outside of marriage (an act of fornication, even dirtier). This is the majority of Xian thought and teaching over the centuries, and even though the Babble isn't as wound-up about homosexuality as many sects today are, it is still opposed to it.

Sex in general is sinful, according to Xianity. Why would homosexuality be treated any differently?

Sex in general is sinful, according to Xianity. Why would homosexuality be treated any differently?

:)Wolfheart, IMO, what Xianity has to say and what the character of Jesus had to say are two different things... just about opposites! I think Ghandi even said that he liked Jesus but he didn't like our Christians. I understand this comment.

I did an in depth study on that Romans section of the Bible, probably about 40 hours worth, researching it from the original manuscript from which the translation was taken. It was pretty clear to me that these verses are about the self righteous religous right. Show me one place in the scriptures where anyone was personally condemned by Jesus other than these self righteous people.

Also, I don't think homosexuality was a big deal then. I had remembered reading that back then, men who loved other men was considered the highest form of love! Men were always so competitive with each other for position and women, that to love each other was considered the ultimate love. I even heard of armies built with gay guys and were considered the most fierce by the way they fought for each other! I was looking on the internet for references and such when I found those other sites I posted, yet unfortunately not what I had originally been searching.

I was actually thinking it could be possible, that even Paul may have had gay tendencies. IDK, of course... but think about it. It wouldn't surprise me... and I'm telling you, that Romans chapter has nothing to do with gay people. It is about the judgemental religous right, and that is why the first verse in Romans 2 says if we judge them, we're no better than they are! Now how could that apply to gays? Wouldn't it be interesting for the 'Christian' community to find out a new revelation that Paul had/participated in gay tendencies? :wicked:

Hehe, Paul a closet homo - oh, that would be hilarious if it were revealed!

I still cannot but disagree - homosexuality is never mentioned favorably in the Babble, and the history of Xianity is blatantly anti-gay. Sure, Jesus™ never went around condemning homosexuals, but he never praised or condoned it, either. He's simply mute on the matter, according to the Babble. His fan club is another matter, beginning with the blatant but ultimately mild condemnations of it post-gospel and increasing as history went on.

:)Wolfheart, IMO, what Xianity has to say and what the character of Jesus had to say are two different things... just about opposites! I think Ghandi even said that he liked Jesus but he didn't like our Christians. I understand this comment.

I did an in depth study on that Romans section of the Bible, probably about 40 hours worth, researching it from the original manuscript from which the translation was taken. It was pretty clear to me that these verses are about the self righteous religous right. Show me one place in the scriptures where anyone was personally condemned by Jesus other than these self righteous people.

Also, I don't think homosexuality was a big deal then. I had remembered reading that back then, men who loved other men was considered the highest form of love! Men were always so competitive with each other for position and women, that to love each other was considered the ultimate love. I even heard of armies built with gay guys and were considered the most fierce by the way they fought for each other! I was looking on the internet for references and such when I found those other sites I posted, yet unfortunately not what I had originally been searching.

I was actually thinking it could be possible, that even Paul may have had gay tendencies. IDK, of course... but think about it. It wouldn't surprise me... and I'm telling you, that Romans chapter has nothing to do with gay people. It is about the judgemental religous right, and that is why the first verse in Romans 2 says if we judge them, we're no better than they are! Now how could that apply to gays? Wouldn't it be interesting for the 'Christian' community to find out a new revelation that Paul had/participated in gay tendencies? :wicked:

Amanda,

I love your work and if most people took the time you do to research and study the bible like you do, Christianity as we know it today would fall on its face. As it is now, they see the bible as being a book condeming people and they stand along side it...so they think. Once they understand it, they will look at the bible and it will turn into a mirror and they will see their own face of judgement. It was speaking to them the entire time, yet they thought it was speaking of someone else. The irony is huge and tragic.

Thanks for all your work Amanda. I have grown because of it.

Hehe, Paul a closet homo - oh, that would be hilarious if it were revealed!

I still cannot but disagree - homosexuality is never mentioned favorably in the Babble, and the history of Xianity is blatantly anti-gay. Sure, Jesus never went around condemning homosexuals, but he never praised or condoned it, either. He's simply mute on the matter, according to the Babble. His fan club is another matter, beginning with the blatant but ultimately mild condemnations of it post-gospel and increasing as history went on.

Jesus was mute on whole lot of things....like slavery and social divisions. Not to mention any practical instructions on how to cure diseases besides magic and prayer. IMO, if he didn't speak in favor of it, then he probably condemns it.

Jesus was mute on whole lot of things....like slavery and social divisions. Not to mention any practical instructions on how to cure diseases besides magic and prayer. IMO, if he didn't speak in favor of it, then he probably condemns it.

Yes, Jesus™ was mute on a lot of things of a practical nature, and that calls into question the insane Xian position that the Babble is somehow a guidebook to life. But that's another topic :fdevil:

Anyway, it doesn't really matter if you agree with me or not, it just makes me angry that a group of people get by twisting something to fit their own agenda and no one says anything. :vent:

Amanda,

Look at how The Message translation puts it:

21 What happened was this: People knew God perfectly well, but when they didn't treat him like God, refusing to worship him, they trivialized themselves into silliness and confusion so that there was neither sense nor direction left in their lives. 22 They pretended to know it all, but were illiterate regarding life. 23 They traded the glory of God who holds the whole world in his hands for cheap figurines you can buy at any roadside stand. 24 So God said, in effect, "If that's what you want, that's what you get." It wasn't long before they were living in a pigpen, smeared with filth, filthy inside and out. 25 And all this because they traded the true God for a fake god, and worshiped the god they made instead of the God who made them - the God we bless, the God who blesses us. Oh, yes! 26 Worse followed. Refusing to know God, they soon didn't know how to be human either - women didn't know how to be women, men didn't know how to be men. 27 Sexually confused, they abused and defiled one another, women with women, men with men - all lust, no love. And then they paid for it, oh, how they paid for it - emptied of God and love, godless and loveless wretches. 28 Since they didn't bother to acknowledge God, God quit bothering them and let them run loose. 29 And then all hell broke loose: rampant evil, grabbing and grasping, vicious backstabbing. They made life hell on earth with their envy, wanton killing, bickering, and cheating. Look at them: mean-spirited, venomous, 30 fork-tongued God-bashers. Bullies, swaggerers, insufferable windbags! They keep inventing new ways of wrecking lives. They ditch their parents when they get in the way. 31 Stupid, slimy, cruel, cold-blooded. 32 And it's not as if they don't know better. They know perfectly well they're spitting in God's face. And they don't care - worse, they hand out prizes to those who do the worst things best!

What I bolded seems to be the entire gist of what it's trying to say. No love.

Yes, Jesus™ was mute on a lot of things of a practical nature, and that calls into question the insane Xian position that the Babble is somehow a guidebook to life. But that's another topic :fdevil:

I used to think just like that too. It's there, but its okay if others can't see it. There are other guides.

You've nailed it NBBTL!! Xtians and anti-gayers are always caught up and the sexual part of being homosexual. They think, apparantly, that that's all we do and if we get near the "normal" population we'll infect them with our sex crazed behaviour. Apparantly my ability to love is somehow non-existant because of the manner I make love, er, defile a person of the same sex with my evil immoral sex.