Goodbye Jesus

Roe Vs. Wade

Reality Amplifier

Here comes the direct attack on Roe Vs. Wade.

Now that Justices Robert and Alito have altered the political leaning of the Supreme Court, conservatives and Christians obviously seem to think the time is right to unleash their long awaited challenge to Roe Vs. Wade.

South Dakota abortion law sets up court challenge

Legislation bans nearly all abortions

Monday, March 6, 2006; Posted: 2:02 p.m. EST (19:02 GMT)

PIERRE, South Dakota (AP) -- South Dakota's governor on Monday signed into law a bill banning nearly all abortions, setting up a court fight aimed at challenging the 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion in the United States.

The bill would make it a crime for doctors to perform an abortion unless it was necessary to save the woman's life. It would make no exception in cases of rape or incest.

Planned Parenthood, which operates the state's only abortion clinic in Sioux Falls, has pledged it will challenge the measure in court. About 800 abortions are done each year in South Dakota.

In a written statement, Gov. Mike Rounds said he expects the law will be tied up in court for years and will not take effect unless the Supreme Court upholds it.

"In the history of the world, the true test of a civilization is how well people treat the most vulnerable and most helpless in their society. The sponsors and supporters of this bill believe that abortion is wrong because unborn children are the most vulnerable and most helpless persons in our society. I agree with them," Rounds said in the statement.

The Legislature passed the bill after supporters said the recent appointment of conservative justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito have made the U.S. Supreme Court more likely to overturn its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion.

South Dakota lawmakers believe President Bush may have a chance to appoint a third justice in the years before the legal battle over the South Dakota law reaches the nation's highest court.

The abortion ban would take effect July 1, but a federal judge is likely to suspend the ban during the legal challenge. That means it would never take effect unless the state gets the case all the way to the Supreme Court and wins.

Rounds has said abortion opponents have already started offering money to help the state pay legal bills for the anticipated court challenge. Lawmakers also said an anonymous donor has pledged $1 million to defend the ban, and the Legislature set up a special account to accept donations for legal fees.

Under the law signed by Rounds, doctors could get up to five years in prison for performing an illegal abortion. The measure also contains language that the Legislature finds that scientific advances since Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973 have demonstrated that life begins at conception.

Rounds issued a technical veto of a similar bill passed two years ago because it would have wiped out all existing restrictions on abortion while the bill was tied up for years in a court challenge. The statement he issued Monday noted that this year's bill was written to make sure existing restrictions will be enforced during the legal battle.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pandora

• jrmarlin

• Amethyst

• Luck Mermaid

Guest Pagan Chris

This law that South Dakota is proposing does not make any exception for rape or incest. How horrible is it to force some poor woman who suffered a brutal crime to carry around the reminder of that for the next 9 months?

These neocons are really sick.

The measure also contains language that the Legislature finds that scientific advances since Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973 have demonstrated that life begins at conception.

You know, I've heard this argument somewhere else recently, has anybody actually heard of such "evidence".

They relate to fetuses, they share the same level of intelligence and compassion for others as a fetus.

...let's all bow down and worship at the throne of the allmighty fucking fetus.

i hate pro-lifers.

How much tax money has to be wasted on shit like this when it's only going to be reverse by the Supreme Court because its a federal law? :Doh:

This has nothing to do with anything but the fucking christians. They think they run this country even though they are in the minority. I am really just sick of these small special interest groups getting the strong hold in the majority world.

It is disgusting. Indeed.

I think the attorneys and legislatures responsible for this getting this far should be not only fined by imprisoned for violating the public's rights.

If we're going to back slide on that, why not back slide on Civil Rights, Women's Rights to Vote and Slavery while we're at it. Shit, why don't we just go back to being a colony of Britian and get it the fuck over with...

Progress -- with assholes like these special interest minority groups do everything they can to fight AGAINST freedom in this country. It's getting very old! Very old indeed! :vent:

Those people just are completely disgusting and should just go to Russia or better yet China and live in a communist country. If they don't want to have abortions that is their right but to mandate over a woman does with her body is just too dispicable for words. If there is a Hell, I hope they fucking burn in it.

Perhaps they're just jacked up about finding more dead babies in dempsty dumpsters and mothers killing their babies with coat hangers like back in the 50s.... how soon they forget about those horrible stories. Or better yet, having their youth flea to other states in order to have abortions -- great. Girl goes to have an abortion in another state, dies in an accident because she's still on "drugs" from the procedure and shouldn't be driving but is traveling back to her home. Now they're really thinking, aren't they?

Dispicable excuses for human beings.

I find it ironic that most of those who are extremely pro-life are not also vegans. They have no problems eating a chicken egg for breakfast, but they'll go to great lengths to protect what is essentially a human egg. You'd think they would at least be consistent in their beliefs, but no. Logic escapes them.

Disclaimer: No, I'm not a vegan. I just can't stand hypocrisy.

How much tax money has to be wasted on shit like this when it's only going to be reverse by the Supreme Court because its a federal law?

I'm not sure it will be reversed. In fact, based on some opinions from some current sitting Justices, I am concerned that the possibility exists that the Supreme Court may overturn Roe Vs. Wade and turn the matter of abortion back over to the States.

Roberts:

Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided but is settled law.

Finds no support for abortion rights in Constitution

Scalia:

Leave abortion to states; Court should get out of this area.

Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided & should be overturned.

Thomas:

Alito:

Does not support Roe v. Wade

Alito said his personal feelings would not be a factor in judicial decisions, but if the court decides that Roe Vs Wade should be overturned and go the States, that’s not a personal feeling, it’s a judicial decision...

I find it ironic that most of those who are extremely pro-life are not also vegans. They have no problems eating a chicken egg for breakfast, but they'll go to great lengths to protect what is essentially a human egg. You'd think they would at least be consistent in their beliefs, but no. Logic escapes them.

It's funny that you mention that. Recently I did a school project on hardcore vegetarianism and I found that the arguments against meat-eating and the arguements against abortion were surprisingly similiar.

How much tax money has to be wasted on shit like this when it's only going to be reverse by the Supreme Court because its a federal law?

I'm not sure it will be reversed. In fact, based on some opinions from some current sitting Justices, I am concerned that the possibility exists that the Supreme Court may overturn Roe Vs. Wade and turn the matter of abortion back over to the States.

Roberts:

Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided but is settled law.

Finds no support for abortion rights in Constitution

Scalia:

Leave abortion to states; Court should get out of this area.

Thomas:

Alito:

Does not support Roe v. Wade

Alito said his personal feelings would not be a factor in judicial decisions, but if the court decides that Roe Vs Wade should be overturned and go the States, that’s not a personal feeling, it’s a judicial decision...

Often when these justices look at the REALITY of the situation, their opinions in personal life far differ from their opinions in the public sector.

I guess we'll see what happens, but mind you the ramifications of such a dispicable bill is going to be devastating for many people that will be affected and I am sure you will hear more and more problems with self-aborting, teen suicide and women (and young women) running away from their homes to seek life elsewhere.

Perhaps if the governor had concentrated more on Contraception education instead of being a prick -- or better yet, suggest mandatory castration of ALL male reproductive organs -- including the penis -- to males who have birthed two children or men engaged in rape or incest -- perhaps his state would be a better place to be... Don't ya think?

If a woman can not decide whether not she wants a child -- then perhaps men should also lose their right to impregnate them.

Tit for tat, baby. Tit for fucking tat. Perhaps it's time old Mike put his dick where his mouth is. If faced with mandatory castration, I am sure he would rethink his stance on this issue! Most men would.

If we're going to back slide on that, why not back slide on Civil Rights, Women's Rights to Vote and Slavery while we're at it. Shit, why don't we just go back to being a colony of Britian and get it the fuck over with...

I'm afraid that's exactly the agenda for some of these nutty bars. Some of the same people who opposed laws for equality in the 50s and 60s are still in positions in government. They've been silent for years but now that they're starting to gather a majority, they're going to make their move while they still can.

This isn't just about abortion in spite of what their propaganda states. The outcome will determine what happens to other laws granting freedoms to women and minorities. This is going to be another case of "state's rights" just as the issue of slavery was during the Civil War. Unfortunately, people are unaware of what turning back Roe v. Wade means for everyone elses freedom. There's still this misconception that this only affects "promiscuous" women or teenagers having premarital sex. But turning back a law that's so fundamental to personal rights will only embolden lawmakers to make more drastic changes.

I know one thing. I have my U.S. passport ready and I will use it if necessary.

Ditto. I figure I would have more freedom in the UK than I will have here. I would rather pay the higher taxes elsewhere rather than stay in a country that does not respect my rights as an individual.

It's funny that you mention that. Recently I did a school project on hardcore vegetarianism and I found that the arguments against meat-eating and the arguements against abortion were surprisingly similiar.

I'm not surprised. Logically, they would be.

This isn't just about abortion in spite of what their propaganda states. The outcome will determine what happens to other laws granting freedoms to women and minorities. This is going to be another case of "state's rights" just as the issue of slavery was during the Civil War. Unfortunately, people are unaware of what turning back Roe v. Wade means for everyone elses freedom. There's still this misconception that this only affects "promiscuous" women or teenagers having premarital sex. But turning back a law that's so fundamental to personal rights will only embolden lawmakers to make more drastic changes.

Canada's less than a day's drive from me (well, okay, about 15 hours) and I'm used to the cold anyway. Heh.

The measure also contains language that the Legislature finds that scientific advances since Roe v. Wade was decided in 1973 have demonstrated that life begins at conception.

You know, I've heard this argument somewhere else recently, has anybody actually heard of such "evidence".

They claim that fetuses can feel pain in the first trimester, that they have brainwaves, etc....

I remember the opposite, that research pointed to fetus not feeling pain until much later.

The "life begins at conception" is bullshit. Sperm and egg are techincally alive, too. Human life can't be a single or even a few more cells. No consciousness since there's no nervous system.

I've only heard the liars for religion spout the human life at conception crap.

I have seriously been considering obtaining an education in herbology, not simply because I find it an interesting field of study, but also in the event that abortion should be banned in my lifetime.

If it is, I'd like to be equipped with knowledge that might help women end unwanted pregnancies, or help their bodies heal from a likely very unsafe, illegal surgical procedure. I know that there aren't any guarantees that this or that herbal remedy will indeed cause abortion in every case - but if there's something out there that women can grow and administer ourselves, which reduces the chance that we'll end up dying from a botched back-alley abortion, I want to know what it is, and I want to know how to use it and how to pass it on.

The South Dakota law, as well as the one pending in - where, Alabama? Crud, I don't recall... in any case this whole process may well get me to sign up after all.

If a woman ingests an entire package of birth control pills... while she will be hacking for days, she will abort.

Also, Walmart announced they will now be selling the morning after pills over the counter. While I have long been at odds regarding Walmart's censorship issues, I commend them on making some counter in this fucking madness we potentially face.

Another thought: Smoking bans, Abortion bans... what's next? Will they take away Freedom of Speech? Probably.... Or perhaps it's the enjoyment of one's property? Oh wait, Calabass, CA is working on taking that one away. The right to bear arms? Yep, there's some who want that one abolished real bad...Religious freedom? The fundies and christians are working on making it christian-mandatory.

Will the infringements of rights ever end?

I'll just bet our founding fathers would be so proud of us all today...NOT.

The South Dakota law, as well as the one pending in - where, Alabama? Crud, I don't recall... in any case this whole process may well get me to sign up after all.

I've heard that Mississippi and South Carolina have passed anti-abortion laws, but I thought they weren't as restrictive as South Dakota's.

If these angsty pro-lifers are so concerned about some fetus, and what to deny the mother's rights, then they should pay for the kid's college education. Seems fair to me. Then see how much these hypocrites care then.

What I find funny is that most of these pro-lifers are also pro-capital punishment.

"Don't kill the fetus - wait till it grows up." :fun:

Also, Walmart announced they will now be selling the morning after pills over the counter. While I have long been at odds regarding Walmart's censorship issues, I commend them on making some counter in this fucking madness we potentially face.

Yeah, but they're still going to allow their fundy employees not to sell 'em.

If I were morally opposed to an everyday duty that was part of my job, I'd quit and look for another job. I would get a loan and take more college courses if I had to. I don't see why they can't do the same just because they use their religion as an excuse to be morally opposed.

If these angsty pro-lifers are so concerned about some fetus, and what to deny the mother's rights, then they should pay for the kid's college education. Seems fair to me. Then see how much these hypocrites care then.

Agreed.

If I were morally opposed to an everyday duty that was part of my job, I'd quit and look for another job. I would get a loan and take more college courses if I had to. I don't see why they can't do the same just because they use their religion as an excuse to be morally opposed.

You know, it's getting really sad when Fundies take away the decision from the woman as to whether or not she wants to birth a child. So much blood is already on Christians' heads, I can't for the life of me understand why they want to continue building this negative and nasty karma for themselves. Will they ever learn? It just goes to show you that people will beat their head against the wall every time.

Real insantity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result... :vent:

Agreed.

I guess I see this issue as shades of grey rather than black and white. I'm married guy with three kids.

I'm opposed late term abortion as substitute for using birth control in an other wise normal sexual relationship. The pill, the morning after pill, even an abortion in first trimester should be legal, sometimes modern birth control fails. If it's not legal, people will be forced to use illegal, unhealthy and dangerous methods. If you change your mind 4 months into the pregancey, have the kid and give it up for adoption and go on with life.

In the case of rape, incest, serious medical issues (another grey area), it should be soley the decision of the woman as to what is best for her mentally and physically.

If you don't like dispensing prescribed drugs that violate your views, get a different job. :loser:

It's not your place to decide for me what is right or wrong. It's your job to fill the prescription.

What I don't like is the extremely restrictive measure passed in S.D.

I also find very irksome the double standard a lot our society, escpecially religion, puts on un-wed mothers. Your dammed for having sex. Your damned for enjoying it. Your damned for getting pregnant. If you keep the baby, your deemed an unfit mother because you got pregnant. If you give it for adoption your deemed an unfit mother because you didn't love your kid.

I don't know the right answer, but S.D. has the wrong answer and religion has the wrong answer.

Kinda off topic: I am absolutely thrilled that levonorgestrel will be available OTC in the (hopefully) near future. This will make a lot of women's lives a lot easier. I consider it a huge victory, but I am really concerned that most stores won't stock it and that states will pass legislature to keep it prescription (which is legally allowed).

Get active, everyone... when this comes to a head and it gets official approval, write letters to the big pharmacies, grocery stores, and big box stores. Let them know that you won't support their business if they do not stock it.

I found this today while researching this cluster fuck. I found it very telling:

Quote from War of Words website:

In July 2003, John Roberts said these exact words to the Senate Judiciary Committee: "ROE V. WADE is the settled law of the land… There is nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent, as well as CASEY."

So to whomever said in the earlier posts that Roberts would fold, you're dead fucking wrong. He has it as PUBLIC record that he would uphold the ruling and opinion -- not only before the public but also the Senate.

I hope they fine the governor and legislature of South Dakota. The Congress and Senate should deny South Dakota all federal aid, period, until they quit breaking the law! Not to mention make them personally accountable for any loss of life, i.e. potential escalation of female teen adult suicide and deads as a result of illegal abortions in unsanitary environments, done by unlicensed professionals.