Goodbye Jesus

Polytheistic origins of christianity

DarkBishop

• Super Moderator

I wish Ravenstar was still around.  She'd have all this sorted out in one or two posts.

• Like 1

Is  Ravenstar another Christian member? The ball has been in Iron horses ball park for a couple days now but no reply yet. ? Hell I was just glad a christian finally replied lol.

DB

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, DarkBishop said:

Is  Ravenstar another Christian member? The ball has been in Iron horses ball park for a couple days now but no reply yet. ? Hell I was just glad a christian finally replied lol.

DB

Ravenstar was a member when I first joined up.  She was decidedly not a believer; but she was a brilliant historian, and quite formidable in an argument.

• Like 1

It is good for the rookies among Ex-C to get our feet wet though. Learn to research, find stuff out. Learn to discuss and debate.

That said I would like to see a forum debate between a formidable non believer and a Christian on this topic. Learn from example and all that.

• Like 1

Hey professor,

I passed through your neck of the woods last weekend on my way down to enterprise Alabama. I can't say it enough...... I hate Atlanta traffic. I don't see how ya put up with it on a daily basis. I cuss the whole way through whenever I am unfortunate enough to go there.

DB

Edited out

On 3/23/2017 at 8:33 PM, Joshpantera said:

Excellent selection of videos. Well informed and concise. 

This speaks to the question I put to ironhorse. Everyone starts off with the same question in terms of taking the bible at face value, looking at the suggestion of one god creating the universe and then going through a series of hid and seek with humanity thereafter. The blunt assertion here seems to be that the god of the bible, taken to be YHWH, was the god of creation in Genesis and was the only true god throughout the entire biblical tale. The other gods of the OT are taken to be devils or pure imagination on the part of post fall society. 

But that isn't the case. Academics have learned otherwise. And this is very damming towards christianity. Now ironhorse, you're very quick to wave of hand dismiss academic and scientific analysis of Genesis and the creation accounts. But for those willing to look into academic studies with an unbiased perspective, there's a lot of valuable information at play. How do you propose to address your beliefs if you have no idea what playing field you're stepping onto while trying to discuss them? 

For instance, would you say Psalm 82 was written post the story of Abraham? Obviously, Abraham leaves Ur and it's idols to migrate east to Canaan. Much later after his descendants go off to Egypt and eventually return to Canaan do we find the story of King David and Solomon, the writing of Psalms and so forth. 

(Abraham)------------------------------------------------>------------------------------------------------------(Psalms)    

(Polytheism)---------------------------------------------->------------------------------------------------------(Polytheism)

So Abraham didn't stop polytheistic reasoning where an entire pantheon of gods was known and believed by the people. This is still the state of affairs as of Psalms. And the god of Abraham was El Elyon, which is the most high god of the Elohim pantheon of gods. Abraham didn't turn away from a pantheon by worshiping the most high god of the said pantheon. That same pantheon of gods is what Psalms 82 is addressed to. And academic scholars have gone back and put together a comprehensive understanding of how monotheism actually evolved over time with it's many details. What they've found is that it's completely human minded reasoning behind the evolution from polytheism to monotheism. See below:

Any thought's? 

Wow I really enjoyed that second video. I had already seen the first. But that second one layed it out perfectly

DB

• Super Moderator
On 3/24/2017 at 5:44 AM, DarkBishop said:

Hey professor,

I passed through your neck of the woods last weekend on my way down to enterprise Alabama. I can't say it enough...... I hate Atlanta traffic. I don't see how ya put up with it on a daily basis. I cuss the whole way through whenever I am unfortunate enough to go there.

DB

We don't like you either. ;)