Goodbye Jesus

What do you do with your Bible(s)?

Moxie

Joshpantera: The bible is all over the place. Just when people start to think they've found consistent doctrine, bam, something contradictory shows up. What to do?

You re-read it. You pray. You get divine guidance and, hey presto, your original interpretation was wrong. I've done it myself in those unenlightened days. Up-thread I used the word 'wriggle' - too right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
2 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

Joshpantera: The bible is all over the place. Just when people start to think they've found consistent doctrine, bam, something contradictory shows up. What to do?

You re-read it. You pray. You get divine guidance and, hey presto, your original interpretation was wrong. I've done it myself in those unenlightened days. Up-thread I used the word 'wriggle' - too right.

And at some point you say “Screw this. I’m tired trying to make sense of it.  This is not the work of a deity!” And deconvert. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

They actually gloat about the dammed in private?

Yes. They definitely did! Man did their attitudes and speech change behind closed doors! Half the time they were floating about other christians, who they deemed were 'fake'. I don't think they people they were talking about knew it.

I burned my bible while taking the lord's name in vein.  To those of you on the fence, try this, you will see that god will neither strike you down or give a damn because he doesn't exists.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

Yes. They definitely did! Man did their attitudes and speech change behind closed doors! Half the time they were floating about other christians, who they deemed were 'fake'. I don't think they people they were talking about knew it.

Well as for bibles, I have two on my book shelf nestled in next to my Joseph Campbell and mythicist authors collection. All religion and mythology side by side, bible not withstanding. I did that on the purpose too, in case someone looks at the bible and then sees all of these other books surrounding it disclosing what the bible actually is. 

Growing up we thought southern baptists were particularly heathen. Pork eating bastards! Once saved, always saved rubbish! We had to stick to clean meat only, per mosaic standard. And we'd sit on our high horses sneering our noses at the dammed among the other christian's. What's wrong, can't they read their bibles? The sabbath is the sabbath. Pork, shelfish, etc. are unclean! These are the type of folks that we believed upon the second coming would be crying out for the rocks and stones to fall down them, because they finally realize that they had been wrong about god and the bible all along. At the big finale. Those who are found unworthy, basically. Along with pentecostals, methodists, lutherans, presbyterians (re-formed), and any other non-SDA denomination. Crying and moaning, wailing and gnashing of teeth right along side of the drunkards, and various dregs of society........

But what a crock of absolute nonsense! 

Picking and choosing. Returning to the law despite heated arguments in Galatians and elsewhere spelling out that gentile people are NOT to take up mosaic law and start playing a game of make believe jews. That they turn a blind eye to. But why? Because of the motivation to fulfill Revelation 12:7 as the "remnant of Israel" who keep the laws of moses and hold to the testimony of jesus. Never mind anything that seems to run to the contrary, we're the elect and never mind the details! Excusing away Galatians and similar content with apologetic's. Once the preconceived idea was out there, there's no turning back. Every excuse must be made, poor or otherwise, to shore up the belief and faith. 

All of this over black and white obvious and in your face MYTHOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!

Evident mythology which can be established as of Genesis 1 as mythology......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The pentecostal church I attended back in the 80's really knew the one true god. So there. 

But apparently, god felt it necessary to close the place down for some reason...maybe you're right, Josh lol

• Haha 2

I actually just bought a new Bible! It has the Apocryphal and Deuterocanonical books, and I've never read them before. Since there's still so much Christianity around me, I thought it would be useful to see where some New Testament ideas came from that aren't found in the OT. (Like eternal reward and punishment... those don't exist in the OT, yet NT authors just assumed they were real.) I think that can be found in the "in between" books. So far I've read Tobit and Judith. And my wife, a believer, read Judith and will probably read the other stuff. Maybe that'll eventually make a non-believer out of her (one can hope!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Derek said:

The pentecostal church I attended back in the 80's really knew the one true god. So there. 

But apparently, god felt it necessary to close the place down for some reason...maybe you're right, Josh lol

All pagan, sun worshiping, speaking in tongues heathens masquerading around as christians!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

All pagan, sun worshiping, speaking in tongues heathens masquerading around as christians!!!!!!!!!

All others are lost...our esteemed pastor told us so. He knows everything.

11 hours ago, Derek said:

All others are lost...our esteemed pastor told us so. He knows everything.

Because the bible tells him so........

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:47 AM, TABA said:

This has been the story of Christianity especially since the Reformation.  Before then, the Catholic Church was able to control the narrative, still picking a subset of scriptural dogma, but without any rivals to say otherwise. Once the Bible became available to a wider audience, the splintering began immediately.  And so it continues today.  The Bible, not Satan, is the author of confusion. 

A092D7E1-E2D1-42ED-90C1-87742D9FBF0B.jpeg

GREAT CARTOON!  It captures the essence of what happened.

• Like 1

I have this thing about saving books, especially old ones, and have saved my bibles and all the reference materials gathered through the years as i studied my way out of christianity, and eventually religion.  It is all stored in bookshelves in the basement.  HA!  Have offered it to some who have asked me why I left religion, but as yet have had no takers.

The bible has had such an influence on, especially the western world, that I think it contributes to the understanding of history, and mankind,

and think it should be saved for future reference.  I have no idea what my kids and grandkids will do with it.  None of them go to church anymore.  I don't think any of them, including my wife, ever took religion, and the saving of their soul as seriously as I did.  Thank goodness!  And have all turned out to be decent people!

• Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, Lerk said:

I actually just bought a new Bible! It has the Apocryphal and Deuterocanonical books, and I've never read them before. Since there's still so much Christianity around me, I thought it would be useful to see where some New Testament ideas came from that aren't found in the OT. (Like eternal reward and punishment... those don't exist in the OT, yet NT authors just assumed they were real.) I think that can be found in the "in between" books. So far I've read Tobit and Judith. And my wife, a believer, read Judith and will probably read the other stuff. Maybe that'll eventually make a non-believer out of her (one can hope!).

Do you have the Gnostic Gospels?  Early on those got me to questioning the "inerrant" new testament that was "given to us by God".  Actually was begrudgingly given to us by the Catholic church in canonization of scripture, while they were burning writings and killing those who disagreed with them.  How anyone can study their role in the process, and believe they were acting on gods behave, is beyond me.  Maybe that will start her to thinking.

I have kept three.  I have one I never open and feel I should burn from when I was a child up to early teens.  I have a second one that my folks bought me when I started high school.  It didn't get used nearly as much as the first - I figure by high school I was already on my way out, lol.  The blank pages at the back got used to roll joints, though, in desperate uh, recreational moments during college.  The other copy I have is one that contains the Apocrypha because at some point during my high school years I thought maybe the Catholics had info that I hadn't encountered yet.  (They did not.) 

Anybody else have to get rid of scads of those little Gideon Bibles.  I started refusing them even before I quit believing because I knew I already had a dozen.  Ha. Good times. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 8:07 PM, jupiter789 said:

Anybody else have to get rid of scads of those little Gideon Bibles.  I started refusing them even before I quit believing because I knew I already had a dozen.  Ha. Good times. 

My wife actually has some tiny Bibles in her car to give to people. Fortunately, she only seems to give them to people who actually want them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2019 at 1:20 AM, Weezer said:

Do you have the Gnostic Gospels?  Early on those got me to questioning the "inerrant" new testament that was "given to us by God".  Actually was begrudgingly given to us by the Catholic church in canonization of scripture, while they were burning writings and killing those who disagreed with them.  How anyone can study their role in the process, and believe they were acting on gods behave, is beyond me.  Maybe that will start her to thinking.

I don't! Maybe after I finish these others I'll get a copy of the Gnostics.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, Bookish said:

Do you own any Bibles? If so, do you read them as literature? Do they just collect dust?

I have one Bible, and I have not opened it in years. I treat it like a recovering alcoholic does with drinks in the house. I know how I can get when I open a Bible. That devotional mindset comes right back, and I want to get to the point where I can read the Bible as literature, and have no emotional investment.

I actually had an idea of what to do with my bibles that I don't plan on ever using. As an artist, I was considering making a piece of artwork with pages of the bible (probably torn from the binding) that depicts how it feels to suffer from Religious Trauma Syndrome. However, I understand that it could be very offensive to tear up someone's "Holy Book." I'm on the fence about it. What do people think? Has it been done before?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

I actually had an idea of what to do with my bibles that I don't plan on ever using. As an artist, I was considering making a piece of artwork with pages of the bible (probably torn from the binding) that depicts how it feels to suffer from Religious Trauma Syndrome. However, I understand that it could be very offensive to tear up someone's "Holy Book." I'm on the fence about it. What do people think? Has it been done before?

I think that's a brilliant idea. However, with your current situation with your parents, it may not be advisable. If they found out about it, then the shitstorm you'd likely face may be worse than what you've already experienced. Perhaps you could proceed with it after you're fully independent from them.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 11:18 AM, Bookish said:

Do you own any Bibles? If so, do you read them as literature? Do they just collect dust?

Cut out the centers of the pages to make a hollow book and use it to hide small expensive jewelry or a wad of cash.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 8:44 PM, older said:

Cut out the centers of the pages to make a hollow book and use it to hide small expensive jewelry or a wad of cash.

Excellent suggestion!

6 hours ago, Weezer said:

Excellent suggestion!

And I should add that there are other things you could hide in there too.....  :Duivel7:

• Haha 2

Homeless people are always asking for Bibles; it's better to give them away than to throw them away.

21 hours ago, Hole_In_My_Heart said:

Homeless people are always asking for Bibles; it's better to give them away than to throw them away.

I respectfully disagree. Doing so just adds to the spread of the infection. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, older said:

I respectfully disagree. Doing so just adds to the spread of the infection. 

Also respectfully, I totally see your point, but on the other hand, people who want Bibles are already Christians, and the Bibles bring them hope and comfort in a desperate situation; reduction of the misery of the lowest class of our society seems like a good thing to me.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:57 AM, Citsonga said:

I think that's a brilliant idea. However, with your current situation with your parents, it may not be advisable. If they found out about it, then the shitstorm you'd likely face may be worse than what you've already experienced. Perhaps you could proceed with it after you're fully independent from them.

Do it @Hole_In_My_Heart !!!

Take a vid of the folks faces during the unavailing and post that sucker!

I'll grab some grape juice, round up Mrs. MOHO (scream'n fundy) and enjoy myself. :clap: