Goodbye Jesus

I desire to be desired

SOIL

Remember (I think it was in some movie about marines), where Jack's character  was yelling at a young military lawyer, (played by Tom Cruise, I think), something to this effect:

"You can't handle the truth!"

This phrase was realized a very long time ago.

At that point, religion was born, and the truth

never got spoken. (or written for that matter.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SOIL

• Fweethawt

• Amethyst

• Cerise

3: Eventually favoring Christianity over Islam and hating Islamists. (is that what they're called?)

Muslims....

Muslims....

How 'bout Muslamists? :HaHa:

Guest Breakerslion
QUOTE(SOIL @ May 14 2005, 10:46 PM)

Remember (I think it was in some movie about marines), where Jack's character  was yelling at a young military lawyer, (played by Tom Cruise, I think), something to this effect:

"You can't handle the truth!"

Jack's character was wrong, and so are those who operate on the false premise of faith-based belief. It is the Christians and the Muslims of the world who can't handle the truth: You have been played like a violin by your cynical leaders for their own enrichment for generations. You have been selectively bred to respond to their patter. The weird sexual taboos of the world's "greatest" religions serve the purpose of co-opting that portion of the brain for "worship" and "religious ecstasy". The sole purpose of religion is control, control, control. The rest is flummery. If you have enjoyed this sermon, please send your "offerings" to: Oxfam International.

The first thing to do when suffering is not wonder, "What am I supposed to learn?" but to affirm, "I am the Father's son, loved by him!"

Speaking of desire.

The really kinky thing about this is you never get to grow up to be your own man God. You have to stay a baby God for ever, unless you are Mormon. Wouldn't this be classified as pedophilia of some sort. Hmmm, I may be wrong about the whole Holy Mafia Don in the Sky thing. It might be the Holy Jacko in the Sky thing. Are you guys really sure you want to go to Neverland?

The weird sexual taboos of the world's "greatest" religions serve the purpose of co-opting that portion of the brain for "worship" and "religious ecstasy".

Fascinating. Tell us more, Breakerslion. Are there experiments that found the same brain centers to experience increased wave activity and blood flow under religious ecstasy and sexual excitement?

welcome to this site, by the way

We desire a relationship with God ....... ???

As for me, I say: ""Yep, God exists!"

Does it work for these statements too, or do I have it all wrong:

We desire Santa Claus to give us presents ..... yes, presents from Santa Claus exists

We desire peace for everyone in the world ... peace exists for everyone

We desire that no one has to go hungry ... everyone have food

We desire to not have to pay tax ... yes, tax reduction is here

We desire power - yep, power exits! --- I can't relate to this one. Sorry.  :shrug:

Fweethawt,

It is interesting that I threw this one into the mix.

C.S. Lewis doesn't include this (or at least I don't remember it if he does).

I was thinking of the various things that people desire - and this one seems to keep popping up.

If I remember correctly, I think C.S. Lewis said that all evil is basically a perversion of something good. If the desire for power usually brings evil, I am wondering what is the appropriate (unperverted) desire for power? I think it may be related to what the Old Testament describes concerning the concept of "dominion", where God in Genesis, said people are charged with the stewardship of being leaders (in coordinating proper interactions between animals, plants, and inorganic material, I would assume).

Actually, now that I think about this - I am somewhat surprised that I don't remember hearing either Chef or Cerise complain about that particular Biblical idea, (i.e. dominion of man relating to the rest of life on planet earth).

-Dennis

Randen, when you were telling me about the way the Iraqi children were hurt by the sanctions, was I reading something written by a "real disciple"?

There was a time when I could have gotten into the "spirit" of this speculation. It would have been a great topic for Klink and I to hold forth on when the young folks joined us at our table in the cafeteria of Great Lakes Bible College.

But no, I'm just a human, hopefully guided by compassion before avarice. However, I begining to suspect that the mind is something greater than consciousness. Which may be what you are dealing with -- and I don't see it.

I like the idea though. A real disciple being the one that refuses to follow any religious rule, even the rule of belief. There is a petard for the average Christian to throw himself on. Trust God enough to throw him out and be your own man.

But no, I'm just a human, hopefully guided by compassion before avarice...

Chef,

Well, I wasn't speculating about you being any more than a human <wink>

I was just saying that I think the voice of God may speak to us from human sources even in the world today. (I'm not convinced that stopped when all of the books that are currently included in the canon of scripture were completed.)

Jesus taught we should be guided by compassion before avarice, and when you told me about the effects the sanctions had on the Iraqi children - I interpreted your motivation to be from the same kind of Spirit, (it appears to me anyway) which was motivating Jesus' teachings - and that is probably what prompted my question.

However, I begining to suspect that the mind is something greater than consciousness.  Which may be what you are dealing with -- and I don't see it.

I usually prefer to talk about the "heart" more than only the "mind". I think sometimes our desires (whether honorable or dishonorable) can have a big influence, not only on what we think, but also on how accurately our thoughts reflect reality.

I like the idea though.  A real disciple being the one that refuses to follow any religious rule, even the rule of belief.  There is a petard for the average Christian to throw himself on.  Trust God enough to throw him out and be your own man.

I don't think I like the concept of "refuses" - however, evaluating and questioning - doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

The idea about "Trust God enough" is certainly thought provoking.

I have done a lot of questioning and evaluating religious rules, but I have not come to a point where I am ready to completely throw God out. However I think I do trust God enough to believe that he can still love me even if I do come to that point .... what I am more worried about - is whether I could still trust him (if I were to "throw him out"). I'm not sure I want to "be my own man" without any help from God. In my case - I still think God can help me to be a better man - when compared to who I think I could become without his help.

-Dennis

However, I begining to suspect that the mind is something greater than consciousness. Which may be what you are dealing with -- and I don't see it.

I think I do see it, but I don't believe it is the Christian deity -- whatever's out there, is bigger and better than that. If it's there.

Guest Breakerslion
However, I (sic) begining to suspect that the mind is something greater than consciousness. Which may be what you are dealing with -- and I don't see it.

This is ever the way of the Christian church, attempting to claim our own best thoughts and deeds as belonging outside ourselves and thus to their godhead. Stop stealing what is best about the human race for your silent god. Look at Jean D'Arc: first the Catholics burn her at the stake, then they claim her as a saint and bring her into the minor pantheon.

There is no reason to believe that the mind is something greater than consciousness, if by consciousness you mean sentience. Indeed the mind is more than conscious thought, that's why some things percolate in the unconscious before surfacing as ideas or insights. It's still all in your head, dude. Be proud of your insights, at least until they are disproved, and take ownership!

To answer an earlier question, yes, the area of the brain that, when stimulated, induces religious ecstacy, is directly adjacent to the center responsible for sexual libido. Check out the Nova episode on the brain for a good beginning on the subject.