Goodbye Jesus

Hierophant vs PittsburghJoe

TABA

Let the new debate begin!

Only Hierophant and PittsburghJoe should post here.  Others will be moved to the Peanut Gallery. 

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

Joe - In the other thread I got a bit of background of how you came to your current conclusions. As I said there, I appreciate you explaining your position more because it gave me a better ability to think about the topics as you do. Fundamentally speaking, I have some serious points of contention with your definition of terms and the methods you use to reach your conclusions.

I want to start off with the claim that you believe the Holy Spirit is guiding you to some kind of truth. There are a few problems with this:

We have insufficient data to support that the Holy Spirit even exists. Where you take it as an assumption of truth, I will not. I spent the better part of 15 years in Christianity listening to pastors, evangelicals, family members, and a whole World Wide Web of every jagaloon with a Bible and a keyboard stating they know the truth because the Holy Spirit was guiding them on Bible interpretation or transcendental truths. Every other brand of Christianity was false, led astray, and were hell bound, let alone every other person who did not even claim to be a Christian. Everyone has a different interpretation of the Bible and I have heard the appeal to the Holy Spirit or God providing inside knowledge more often than not. It is normally a default position. Well, we have a problem here. While all these various people claimed the Holy Spirit was teaching them, they kept coming to different conclusions than other people who were claiming the same thing. They cannot all be right, but they surely can all be wrong; therefore, the method of relying on the Holy Spirit is an invalid method in of itself, and this is demonstrably true based on past experiences and studies.

This means that at a fundamental level, I disagree with your methodology from the get go. I will not rely on that method because I tried employing it in times past. I ran into issues where I met other people, just as devout, just as interested in the truth that I was, but could not agree on what the Holy Spirit was telling us. Since this method leads to flaws in conclusions, it is not a sound method on its own. We would have to use other tests and methods of verification to test the veracity of what someone thought the Holy Spirit was telling them.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

RESPONSE TO JOE'S REMONSTRANCE IN THE COLOSSEUM

Then that is a wrap, the debate is over and I am the clear winner. Your claims are on the same level as a claim from any other religion, or any non-falsifiable claim levied by someone.  You do not offer sufficient evidence nor reason to think that your claim is any more special than any other.

Please give the following a quick read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

It addresses the problem at hand. If I was to make a claim that a teapot is in orbit between Earth and Mars, where would the responsibility of evidence lay? With me, making the claim, or with you, to disprove the claim? I am of the mind that the one making the claim is then responsible to substantiate the claim, not on the skeptic to disprove the claim.

As another example, suppose you were speaking with a Hindu fundamentalist. If you do not know, there are those within the Hindu religion who take a literal reading of their scriptures and believe their holy books are congruent with reality. If a Hindu fundamentalist made claims to the veracity of their beliefs, do you think the onus would be on you to disprove their claims? More to the point, religious claims, more often that not, are not falsifiable, meaning, there is no way to disprove them.

I also will not concede to your "test" hypothesis. It is an ad hoc excuse to try and explain away the fact that the present evidence does Christianity no favors. As I mentioned before, according to the Bible, Adam, Eve, Moses, Abraham, Samson, all the major prophets, the minor ones, and the whole stinking nation of Israel had direct evidence of YHWH.

• Thanks 1

I get it, you want to stand behind your reasons that you don't believe. The problem being, if you don't, at least, consider what I'm pointing out ..you end up in a bit of a pickle after Judgement Day.

• Confused 1

• Super Moderator

I never rule anything entirely out, that is the intellectually honest thing to do, but if I was to entertain every single claim, especially religious ones, then there would be no end to all of the zany and wacky things I could end up believing. By merely accepting a claim at face value, I would end up believing many false things. I did that, for 15 years and it got me nowhere. I will not do it again. I already know it is a folly.

• Thanks 2

Why do you think decoherence causes wave collapse? Why do you think we can not directly detect Dark Matter?

• Confused 1

Ask yourself, does it matter that The Holy Spirit is working through me? You seem to take it as a problem, as something not to listen to. Whenever you search for ways NOT to believe, you are not listening to The Holy Spirit. I've been down that road. If you ask the internet for ways not to believe, they will gladly give you reasons. Misery loves company.

Do you think a loving God would want us to be in a place like this?

• Confused 1

It is good that you wanted to believe, but you ditched it when you didn't get a clear sign. You're net getting the situation we are in. We are literally in Satan's perception.

• Confused 1

What matters is what you believe at death. You had distress for good reason.

You feel overwhelmed? The last two responses were to someone that deleted their posts. 

1 minute ago, pittsburghjoe said:

The last two responses were to someone that deleted their posts. 

The posts were put here by mistake and have been moved to the Peanut Gallery, not deleted.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Joe, I want you to take a good, long look at this list:

Do you know who all these people are? They all proclaimed to have "special knowledge" from God, and that they spoke the truth of God. When you simply accept claims without supporting evidence, you could easily fall into line with one of the aforementioned.

You know, Jim Jones thought he had special knowledge, and then 918 men, women, and children drank poison and died because of it. Believing in a claim without evidence can destroy lives, homes, and any sense of goodness one could gain from this life. It is a dangerous and reckless epistemology.

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
4 minutes ago, pittsburghjoe said:

You feel overwhelmed? The last two responses were to someone that deleted their posts. 

You were just throwing claims out there, I am not overwhelmed, but thank you taking my mental health into consideration.

1 minute ago, Hierophant said:

Joe, I want you to take a good, long look at this list:

Do you know who all these people are? They all proclaimed to have "special knowledge" from God, and that they spoke the truth of God. When you simply accept claims without supporting evidence, you could easily fall into line with one of the aforementioned.

You know, Jim Jones thought he had special knowledge, and then 918 men, women, and children drank poison and died because of it. Believing in a claim without evidence can destroy lives, homes, and any sense of goodness one could gain from this life. It is a dangerous and reckless epistemology.

The difference being I don't give two sh!ts about someone knowing my name. WAKE UP!

• Super Moderator

Many of those people did not seek fame either. They just thought they had special knowledge that others needed to know.

Look at David Koresh - really look at his story. He did not seek fame, nor did he actually think he was Jesus, he just thought he knew how to interpret the Bible and thought he needed to get the word out.

You need to wake up and realize that your belief is based on unfounded assertions. End of story. Take it to the streets where you can beguile those who are naive. You came here to convince a bunch of people who have primarily decided that unless a claim can be substantiated, it is not worth time, effort, and especially belief.

I mentioned Hitchens before, and Walter recently reminded me, but I find this philosophy useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchens's_razor

• Thanks 1

Weird how considering a path to the light can be worthless. Or maybe you are just cutting it off before you consider it.

• Confused 1

• Super Moderator

I think I am speaking to a principle that you are not able to consider or empathize with when I state that I will not seriously consider a claim unless there is sufficient evidence to support that claim. The best I will give you is that what you are saying is possible, I cannot disprove it, but it becomes merely one possibility in a sea of possibilities. If I want to know what is true and real, I have to have a reliable, objective method of sifting through claims and then weighing the evidence to see what is most likely true based on the available evidence.

Consider this, what would you say if you ran into a Christian who vehemently disagreed with your double split theory? Moreover, a lot of Protestants do not think Catholics are even Christians. They think the Catholic church is the Whore of Babylon as described in Revelation. I am not making this up, and I am sure other members here can attest. If you spend some time on the web, you will find plenty of evangelicals who think Catholics are misguided and under the influence of Satan. Just check out Chick Tracts.

What would you say to them that your version, your church, is the correct belief?

But, oh wait! Someone else claimed to have the Holy Spirt ..that must mean everything I say is worthless!

Your stance is that Church's don't agree with each other so you shouldn't believe any of them?

• Super Moderator

This is not going anywhere and you are not actively participating in a debate. Instead of a debate, you are simply making proselytizing statements.  I am not interested in addressing whatever random phrase you happen to gurgitate in the moment.

I think you have some homework to do before you come back here. I recommend you should watch hours of The Atheist Experience where you can hear every single argument proffered by theists and why they do not measure up. You should also visit talkorigins.org/ if you want to see arguments from creationist and evolutionist. I also recommended visiting infidels.org that contains arguments from theists and skeptics. And since you claim to be science minded, then you should know better than claims such as the Shroud of Turin. Scientist date it to the Middle Ages, not 4 CE. You do not get to pick and choose which science you like.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
6 minutes ago, pittsburghjoe said:

Your stance is that Church's don't agree with each other so you shouldn't believe any of them?

They could all be wrong, but they surely not all could be right.

Tell me, what sound, objective method could I employ to know who had it right? How could an interested outsider come to the same conclusion you did? How could you pass John Loftus' Outsider Test for Faith?

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, pittsburghjoe said:

Also, at a fundamental level - all of these churches are saying the same thing as you! The Holy Spirit guides me, "I know and I know and I know," "I do not believe God would have me talking about this today if he did not want me to," "There is a reason you came through our doors today, welcome friend." If everyone is making the same claim, then there has to be some way to see who is not correct. Does that make sense to you?

• Like 1

Do you really think God is going to prevent any person that believes Jesus died for us isn't going to be allowed in?