MAYBE WE WERE MADE IN GOD'S IMAGE!!

Weezer

If you consider the god of the Old Testament, maybe we WERE made in his image, and in ways other than physical.   Especially if you think about some of our thinking and actions compared to his jealousy, narcissism, wars and genocide.  And impregnating virgins.  I've know some guys who delight in doing that.  Can you think of other ways we are like him?  (at least some of us)

And heck, most of us have never done stuff as bad as he has.  😇

Interesting question, and perhaps a good comeback to the xians: "Yes, we were made in God's image. Narcissistic, evil, cruel and sadistic."

While you are looking for things that are not physical, being a mechanical person I sometimes think about the God's image issue in terms of the human body, and how if I were a professor of mechanical engineering and a student of mine came to me with the design for the human body, I'd have to give him no better than a D.

• Haha 1

Some time back I heard speculation that ETs in ancient times (seen as gods by primitive humans) decided to use DNA to modify those primitive human forms so they could be used as slaves and servants, and decided to make them look like themselves.  But it eventually backfired when their sons found them sexually attractive and wound up taking them for wives.  And then (on the sly)? their DNA was modified further so they could reproduce, and their kids eventually became ----- US.    😁

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2022 at 9:59 PM, Weezer said:

If you consider the god of the Old Testament, maybe we WERE made in his image, and in ways other than physical.   Especially if you think about some of our thinking and actions compared to his jealousy, narcissism, wars and genocide.  And impregnating virgins.  I've know some guys who delight in doing that.  Can you think of other ways we are like him?  (at least some of us)

And heck, most of us have never done stuff as bad as he has.  😇

Of course we were made in his image.  What's the big deal?

In my fundiest days I never thought that meant physical image. 

To paraphrase Sagan (I think it was Sagan) "Man was not made in god's image, but god was made in man's image."

That is why god appears so human, given to emotions like anger and jealousy, prone to violence, and appearing generally as a big dick.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:52 AM, duderonomy said:

In my fundiest days I never thought that meant physical image. 

I've asked more than one believer what exactly it means to be "born in God's image"... physical, mental, spiritual?

I never received a straight answer. It was clear to me that none had really given it much thought.

The bible declares clearly that we can never know the mind of God.

If the answer is "spiritual image" then that opens the "what exactly is a spirit?" can of worms.

I'm pretty damned certain that I personally am not created in the physical image of any God.

3 hours ago, alreadyGone said:

I'm pretty damned certain that I personally am not created in the physical image of any God.

Me neither. Skinny legs, bald spot and a prostate problem.

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2022 at 9:19 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

To paraphrase Sagan (I think it was Sagan) "Man was not made in god's image, but god was made in man's image."

That is why god appears so human, given to emotions like anger and jealousy, prone to violence, and appearing generally as a big dick.

Hey LF!   Sagan is your guide to truth about deities now?  Who knew!

Also, hello old friend.

23 hours ago, duderonomy said:

Hey LF!   Sagan is your guide to truth about deities now?  Who knew!

Also, hello old friend.

Hey Dude. Hello to you too - keeping well? If you ever get the chance to come to NZ let me know - we'll have to meet. Reminisce about the 'good old days' at ex c :D 

Re Sagan I don't think (I hope I don't) I have "guides to truth", and I certainly don't accept the concept of a TRUTH (TM). But I think there are things that are true. Does that make sense?

I find Sagan in that particular instance have nicely and succinctly stated what I think it's true about gods - that is that they are all human inventions, made for various reasons. All evidence I have come across thus far leads me to that conclusion.

• Like 1

Yeah, the good old days.

• Like 1