• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Open_Minded

• Lycorth

• Fweethawt

• Amanda

Exactly how do you know what the author meant if you're not the author? I'm not speaking just of the bible, I'm speaking of all books. Unless you take it literally, or there is an obvious meaning like "the" you can't mistake the word "the" to mean anything else, how exactly do you know what they mean?

I have said many times, just read the Bible, Jesus is speaking in parables, the text specifically states that.

If you don't know what a parable is, look at my other posts.

Than explain to me why Christians can't agree on what the bible verses mean.

Because it's written in parables! :lmao:

Don't forget that only True Christians™ can see the verse for what it really means! LOL!!

Speaking in parables doesn't mean Jeezus'™ words were recorded accurately, that his words were true, or that he even existed. Reading the Babble™ will only cement why we deny Xianity, and that filthy verse about your demon of a god "calling" many but then cherry-picking his faves and screwing the rest only does the same.

He calls all, but few accept, that is key to understanding the parable and Jesus.

He calls none. Believers just imagine he does as he's their Pet Program™. He's nothing more than a mental plaything to be toyed with if you know how. You can dress him up. Make him do stuff. He's your slave. Have fun with him! lol...

Don't forget that only True Christians™ can see the verse for what it really means! LOL!!

Speaking in parables doesn't mean Jeezus'™ words were recorded accurately, that his words were true, or that he even existed. Reading the Babble™ will only cement why we deny Xianity, and that filthy verse about your demon of a god "calling" many but then cherry-picking his faves and screwing the rest only does the same.

He calls all, but few accept, that is key to understanding the parable and Jesus.

He calls none. Believers just imagine he does as he's their Pet Program™. He's nothing more than a mental plaything to be toyed with if you know how. You can dress him up. Make him do stuff. He's your slave. Have fun with him! lol...

Which was exactly what I was getting at, dear Rev.

Guest sub_zer0

Let me be more clear ... maybe that's the problem

Dr. King was willing to embrace other religions and looked upon the Love experienced in those religions as equal to the Love experienced within the Christian tradition. Given these facts...

Did Dr. King understand Christ in the "Set" ways that are required for a "True" Christian?

Come on Sub, quit ignoring the question and just simply answer it. :shrug:

Look, if MLK believed in His heart that Jesus was God and confessed THAT with His mouth, he is most likely in heaven...

Look, if MLK believed in His heart that Jesus was God and confessed THAT with His mouth, he is most likely in heaven...

:)Sub Zero... what do I have to do to get a response to a question I have for you? :huh:

I use to tend to believe very similarly to you, as did many here... so I am not chastising you in any way. There are no words that express the liberation of letting go of a literal hell and eternal punishment for all. Ahhhhh... it's a wonderful feeling of freedom! I suggest that you only start considering other aspects to this 'literal' concept, instead of just allowing its fear based claws remain into you. That's all. No one here is going to think any less of you if you just start giving consideration to its validity, or actually the lacking of it. What's wrong with just thinking about it? Is it the fearing possibility of the idea of losing your grip and ending in the fire? Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real.

My question: If MLK did this, and went to heaven... according to this criteria... then this same criteria is saying that Hitler went to heaven, and Ghandi went to hell. Now how does that make sense? How is that ultmately justifiable and loving? :shrug:

My question: If MLK did this, and went to heaven... according to this criteria... then this same criteria is saying that Hitler went to heaven, and Ghandi went to hell. Now how does that make sense? How is that ultmately justifiable and loving? :shrug:
AMEN ... Amanda.. you are heading exactly where I was hoping this conversation would go.

Sub, like Amanda, I am not angry with you. I'm trying to get you to think through your beliefs. If your beliefs are based on TRUTH, they will stand up to the testing. So here goes...

Before answering Amanda's question ... you may want to check out this Wikipedia article on Gandhi, so you are familiar with him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhi

Also... The original post was about "Many are called but few are chosen". So... to enhance this discussion ... let's go at Gandhi from this point of view. Many are called but few are chosen .....

Earlier in the thread you wrote this....

You see the best a person could do to "appease God" is to accept His invitation to the kingdom of God, which is achieved through Christ, Jesus.

"Many are called to the wedding-feast, that is, to salvation, but few have the wedding-garment, the righteousness of Christ, the sanctification of the Spirit." -- Matthew Henry

If you have that you are chosen, my friend.

OK... now... you may not be aware of this ... but Gandhi studied Christianity. He probably knew it better than most Christians. The Sermon on the Mount was pivitol in his understanding of non-violent resistence. BUT - he did NOT consider himself Christian - he considered himself Hindu. You may also be aware that years later Gandhi's work in India was to influence Martin Luther King's approach to nonviolent resistence here in the United States. Following are some words that Gandhi spoke about Jesus:

Another missionary got up and questioned Gandhiji in atone of high excitement. He said : "I am not talking today of the historical Jesus. I am talking of that eternal Jesus, the Son of God, and ask Gandhi, 'Have you experienced that everlasting, ever awake Jesus in your life?"

Gandhiji : "If you are speaking of the historical Jesus, I must state that I do not experience spiritual consciousness in my life through that Jesus. But if by Jesus you mean the eternal Jesus, if by Jesus you understand the religion of universal love that dwells in the heart, then that Jesus lives in my heart-to the same extent that Krishna lives, that Rama lives. If I did not feel the presence of that living God, at the painful sights ;I see in the world, I would be a raving maniac and my destination would be the Hooghli ( river ). As, however, that Indweller shines in the heart, I have not been a pessimist now or ever before."

Now ... Sub ... considering the reality that Gandhi was exposed to and studied Christianity - but could not understand Jesus in the "set" ways that you do, or that other "True" Christians there is a dilema. One is left with the dilema of wondering whether Gandhi had .... "the wedding-garment, the righteousness of Christ, the sanctification of the Spirit"?

I'm with Amanda.... I'd like to receive an answer to her question.

My question: If MLK did this, and went to heaven... according to this criteria... then this same criteria is saying that Hitler went to heaven, and Ghandi went to hell. Now how does that make sense? How is that ultmately justifiable and loving?

Let me be more clear ... maybe that's the problem

Dr. King was willing to embrace other religions and looked upon the Love experienced in those religions as equal to the Love experienced within the Christian tradition. Given these facts...

Did Dr. King understand Christ in the "Set" ways that are required for a "True" Christian?

Come on Sub, quit ignoring the question and just simply answer it. :shrug:

Nah, he's nonexistent. His body and brain have long rotted away. His consciosness faded away to black about seven minutes after his heart stopped beating. The end, no fantasy Jesusland™, sorry! lol...

Guest sub_zer0

Like I said, if somebody believe in their heart that Christ is Son of God and confess with their mouth the same, they are saved.

Because Ghandi and Hitler, me and you all have a choice to make for or against God. How is that not loving?

Nah, he's nonexistent. His body and brain have long rotted away. His consciosness faded away to black about seven minutes after his heart stopped beating. The end, no fantasy Jesusland™, sorry! lol...

And you know this how...?????

How is this (my opinion - ie "he's nonexistent" = concrete reality or verifiable fact) response any different from the reponse of a literalist who says there is a hell, with the same sense of certainity?

There is no scientific evidence one way or the other. It is completely impossible for any living human being to know with any certainity what is (or isn't) after our last breath has been taken. This discussion is about one Bible verse, "Many are called but few are chosen" and the implications of that verse in the concrete world.

Amanda and I are asking Sub to think about the implications of literally reading that verse in our world today. If we wanted to discuss whether there is a soul, or not, we'd head over to that thread.

Sub.. I'm still waiting for a response to Amanda's question.

If MLK did this, and went to heaven... according to this criteria... then this same criteria is saying that Hitler went to heaven, and Ghandi went to hell. Now how does that make sense? How is that ultmately justifiable and loving?

---

Sub, I was posting at the same time so I missed your response.

Like I said, if somebody believe in their heart that Christ is Son of God and confess with their mouth the same, they are saved.

Because Ghandi and Hitler, me and you all have a choice to make for or against God. How is that not loving?

So... to clarify ... are you saying that Ghandi - as a non-Christian - as someone who looked at Christianity but could not embrace it - can still be "saved"?

I need to know this Sub... you've asked me about my beliefs and I'm willing to talk about them, but I need to know where you stand on this.

Guest sub_zer0

So... to clarify ... are you saying that Ghandi - as a non-Christian - as someone who looked at Christianity but could not embrace it - can still be "saved"?

I need to know this Sub... you've asked me about my beliefs and I'm willing to talk about them, but I need to know where you stand on this.

No. Again to clarify, if somebody believes with their heart that Christ is Son of God and confess that with their mouth, they are saved. End of story, you should then use that criteria and examine those people.

Since waiting for a Xian to answer a question straight out is very time-consuming, I'll answer it myself.

It's good and loving because the only thing that matters is getting to Heaven. Yahooweh™ wants as many people kissing his ass as he can have, but only if they prove to be good little slaves and believe in Jeezus™ first. Nothing else matters - not how much good you did or how evil you were, if you tell Jeezus™ that you're his biggest fan and trust reealy hard in him, Yahooweh may be persuaded to let you in teh fan club for all eternity. To Hell with those losers who didn't whore their souls for Jeezus™, like your loved ones, innocent Heathens, children not old enough to make adult choices, etc. To Hell with them all - literally.

That's the problem with a faith-based cult of personality. It just doesn't measure up when real-world ethics are applied to it.

Guest sub_zer0

Since waiting for a Xian to answer a question straight out is very time-consuming, I'll answer it myself.

It's good and loving because the only thing that matters is getting to Heaven. Yahooweh wants as many people kissing his ass as he can have, but only if they prove to be good little slaves and believe in Jeezus first. Nothing else matters - not how much good you did or how evil you were, if you tell Jeezus that you're his biggest fan and trust reealy hard in him, Yahooweh may be persuaded to let you in teh fan club for all eternity. To Hell with those losers who didn't whore their souls for Jeezus, like your loved ones, innocent Heathens, children not old enough to make adult choices, etc. To Hell with them all - literally.

Exactly, the only way you can get to heaven is to recognize the one who is in heaven, Jesus. The ones who go to hell whore their souls to sin and not God's perfect will.

Sorry just doing what YOU think is good won't cut it. What you are actually doing when living liike that is obeying Satan's will (or sin) and not God's.

Children who can't make decisions are spared.

Exactly, the only way you can get to heaven is to recognize the one who is in heaven, Jesus. The ones who go to hell whore their souls to sin and not God's perfect will.

Exactly, which is why Xianity fails on moral grounds. Any piece of garbage can get into heaven by believing in Jeezus™, whereas good people who didn't believe go to burn forever. That lacks mercy, wisdom, or love.

Sorry just doing what YOU think is good won't cut it. What you are actually doing when living liike that is obeying Satan's will (or sin) and not God's.

There is no Satan, so I can't do the will of Satan. Besides, if Satan isn't omnipresent and all-powerful (which, as an angel, he cannot be), how can everyone be doing the will of Satan? If Satan can't influence everyone, we all can't be doing his will.

No they are not. Nowhere in the NT is an exception made for children. Time and again we are told that we must believe in Jeezus™ to be saved. There is no exception either given or implied that children (as well as folks who never got a chance to hear about Jeezus™ before their deaths) are spared.

No. Again to clarify, if somebody believes with their heart that Christ is Son of God and confess that with their mouth, they are saved. End of story, you should then use that criteria and examine those people.
Sub... you didn't answer Amanda's question in full .. her question is:

If MLK did this, and went to heaven... according to this criteria... then this same criteria is saying that Hitler went to heaven, and Ghandi went to hell. Now how does that make sense?
How is that ultmately justifiable and loving
?

So... Gandhi .... who died teaching people non-violent resistance... teaching people to "love their enemies" whored his soul to sin?

Explain that to me - and eveyone else - Sub. How did Gandhi "whore his soul to sin"?

And as Amanda asked... How is that ultimately justifiable and loving?

hitler was very religious. i find great comfort that i can perform genocide and go to heaven still!! im starting to like this bible god :HaHa:

Hitler Was A Christian

Guest sub_zer0

Exactly, which is why Xianity fails on moral grounds. Any piece of garbage can get into heaven by believing in Jeezus, whereas good people who didn't believe go to burn forever. That lacks mercy, wisdom, or love.

Wrong, through faith in Christ good works come.

There is no Satan, so I can't do the will of Satan. Besides, if Satan isn't omnipresent and all-powerful (which, as an angel, he cannot be), how can everyone be doing the will of Satan? If Satan can't influence everyone, we all can't be doing his will.

First you say there is no Satan, then you assume he does exist, interesting.

Our own will is Satan influenced, from the very beginning.

No they are not. Nowhere in the NT is an exception made for children. Time and again we are told that we must believe in Jeezus to be saved. There is no exception either given or implied that children (as well as folks who never got a chance to hear about Jeezus before their deaths) are spared.

Where does it imply that they are not spared before death?

hitler was very religious. i find great comfort that i can perform genocide and go to heaven still!! im starting to like this bible god :HaHa:

Hitler Was A Christian

Hitler a Christian, and your source is evil bible.com... Ok, right.

Apparently you didn't realize that Hitler was responsible for 6 million Jews dying, the very people Christianity came from. I am sorry but that is no Christian spirit.

By the way, Roman Catholicism is NOT Christianity.

No they are not. Nowhere in the NT is an exception made for children. Time and again we are told that we must believe in Jeezus™ to be saved. There is no exception either given or implied that children (as well as folks who never got a chance to hear about Jeezus™ before their deaths) are spared.

-----------------------------

OK... this is good ... where in the Bible "does it imply" that Roman Catholicism is NOT Christianity. :lmao:

BTW... Still waiting for an answer to my previous post and Amanda's question.

So... Gandhi .... who died teaching people non-violent resistance... teaching people to "love their enemies" whored his soul to sin?

Explain that to me - and eveyone else - Sub. How did Gandhi "whore his soul to sin"?

And as Amanda asked... How is that ultimately justifiable and loving?

Wrong, through faith in Christ good works come.

Wrong. Many criminals are also Xians. Faith does not eradicate immorality. Even the Xian Holah Babble™ teaches this. It teaches this because the believer is still able to sin and believers must avoid sin. If faith only allows good works, this would not happen.

First you say there is no Satan, then you assume he does exist, interesting.

Our own will is Satan influenced, from the very beginning.

I did not assume Satan exists. I only constructed my words for the sake of argument. I deny the existence of Satan. Please prove Satan exists if you claim he does.

Everytime salvation is spoken of or the necessity of Xian faith is mentioned, there are no exception to the rule. John 3:16 sums it up and there are no exceptions noted. Please cite them if they exist.

Yes it is, because it places Jeezus™ as its god. It may not be in conformity to the Babble™, but then again, no Xian sect truly is. Such a thing is impossible.

:yellow:Hi Sub! Thanks for responding to my post!

(Thanks to OM too, for giving him the encouragement to do so :wink: )

I would like to say that I'm impressed with your character, Sub, to still be here! Please stay around! These people here are really trying to be your friends.... although it may not seem like it. You're obviously worth many people's time. Mine included. :)

Remember, most people here have been in a similar position as you now... so we are more understanding than you probably realize. Most just want you to be be having the ability to be considering an insight that you might be finding wonderfully liberating for you. Maybe this can be done by suspending certain ideas you have now. That's all.

Just start pondering, for just a moment, how Hitler professed with conviction, that he was doing work for the Lord Jesus up to the very end! He was a member of the curch till the day he died! Yes, he believed in his heart and confessed with his tongue, Jesus was Lord of his life! Ghandi professed to live by love and nonviolence, yet is Hindu. There are people around the world that never heard the name or story of Jesus! Do you want to spend an eternity with Hitler, and feel justified that many wonderfully good and beloved family members and friends, of yours and others, didn't make it to be in heaven? Are those that are eternally punished for just one little decision, which most never even had the option to make, perceived as a justifiable and loving outcome? Just be thinking about it... that's all.

Perhaps, you might start evaluating how some of your beliefs have installed unnecessary boundaries in your life? Rigid inflexibility is a sign of losing life, and rigid branches seldom endure in a storm... causing a lot of damage to homes, methods of traveling, and communication. Flexibility always indicates a sign of life, and has the ability to be enduring lots of storms... so please, just be considering... these posts offered to you with a flexible mind. That's all... and, if you're able to be releasing the frozen fear embedded into your thinking by past programming, I think you'll be finding that just considering other perspectives rationally is reasonable and healthy. :wink:

And you know this how...?????

Easy. Science has shown me the answer. It's like asking me how I know that the earth goes around the sun and not vice versa! lol...

How is this (my opinion - ie "he's nonexistent" = concrete reality or verifiable fact) response any different from the reponse of a literalist who says there is a hell, with the same sense of certainity?

Mine is backed by science. There's is not. It's that simple. Here's a good article by the very prolific author Michael Shermer on the subject:

http://www.reverendatheistar.com/demon.htm

Demon-Huanted Brain

If the brain mediates all experience, then paranormal phenomena are nothing more than neuronal events.

by Michael Shermer

Originally published in Scientific American

Five centuries ago demons haunted our world, with incubi and succubi tormenting victims as they lay asleep. Two centuries ago spirits haunted our world, with ghosts and ghouls harassing sufferers during all hours of the night. This past century aliens haunted our world, with grays and greens abducting captives and whisking them away for probing and prodding. Nowadays people are reporting out-of-body experiences, floating above their beds. What is going on here? Are these elusive creatures and mysterious phenomena in our world or in our minds? New evidence adds weight to the notion that they are, in fact, products of the brain. Neuroscientist Michael Persinger, in his laboratory at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, for example, can induce all these perceptions in subjects by subjecting their temporal lobes to patterns of magnetic fields. (I tried it myself and had a mild out-of-body experience)

Similarly, the September 19, 2002, issue of Nature reported that neuroscientist Olaf Blanke of Geneva University Hospital in Switzerland and his colleagues were able to bring about out-of-body experiences through electrical stimulation of the right angular gyrus in the temporal lobe of a 43-year-old woman suffering from severe epileptic seizures. With initial mild stimulation, she felt she was "sinking into the bed" or "falling from a height." With more intense stimulation, she said she could "see myself lying in bed, from above, but I only see my legs and lower trunk." Another trial induced "an instantaneous feeling of 'lightness' and floating' about two meters above the bed, close to the ceiling."

A related study is cited in the 2001 book Why God Won't Go Away. In it, Andrew New berg of the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center and the late Eugene D'Aquili found that when Buddhist monks meditate and Franciscan nuns pray, their brain scans show strikingly low activity in the posterior superior parietal lobe, a region the authors have dubbed the orientation association area (OAA). The OAA provides bearings for the body in physical space; people with damage to this area have a difficult time negotiating their way around a house, for instance. When the OAA is booted up and running smoothly, there is a sharp distinction between self and nonself. When the OAA is in sleep mode -- as in deep meditation or prayer -- that division breaks down, leading to a blurring of the lines between feeling in body and out of body. Perhaps this is what happens to monks who discern a sense of oneness with the universe, or nuns who feel the presence of God, or alien abductees who believe they are floating out of their beds to the mother ship.

Sometimes trauma can become a trigger. The December 15, 2001, issue of the Lancet published a Dutch study in which 12 percent of 344 cardiac patients resuscitated from clinical death reported near-death experiences, some have a sensation of being out of body, others seeing a light at the end of a tunnel. Some even described speaking to dead relatives. Because the everyday occurrence is of stimuli coming from the outside, when a part of the brain abnormally generates these illusions, another part of the brain interprets them as external events. Hence, the abnormal is thought to be the paranormal.

These studies are only the latest to deliver blows against the belief that mind and spirit are separate from brain and body. In reality, all experience is mediated by the brain. Large brain areas such as the cortex coordinate inputs from smaller brain areas such as the temporal lobes, which themselves collate neural events from still smaller brain modules such as the angular gyrus. Of course, we are not aware of the workings of our own electrochemical systems. What we experience is what philosophers call qualia, or subjective states of thoughts and feelings that arise from a concatenation of neural events.

It is the fate of the paranormal and the supernatural to be subsumed into the normal and the natural. In fact, there is no paranormal or supernatural; there are only the normal and the natural -- and mysteries yet to be explained. It is the job of science, not pseudoscience, to solve those puzzles with natural, rather than supernatural, explanations.

There is no scientific evidence one way or the other. It is completely impossible for any living human being to know with any certainity what is (or isn't) after our last breath has been taken. This discussion is about one Bible verse, "Many are called but few are chosen" and the implications of that verse in the concrete world.

Your uneducated opinion. There is a great deal of evidence for nonexistence being what we face. And it just keeps getting better and better!

Whether I "know with certainity" is really irrelevent. I'm 99.99% sure. Sure, it's astronomically remotely possible that I'm wrong, but I doubt it. The science against the soul hypothesis is just too good! Believing in the soul is akin to believing in fairies and goblins. It's just silly. It should be discarded with all the other childhood myths.

Amanda and I are asking Sub to think about the implications of literally reading that verse in our world today. If we wanted to discuss whether there is a soul, or not, we'd head over to that thread.

Then why are you discussing it with me? lol... I think it's rather funny how you think you can tell what what I can and can't say. I will make a comment whenever I feel like it. If you don't like it, don't respond. It's really that simple.

Remember this very sentence whenever you tell people here that they were never a christian to begin with.

Retracting or making changes to this statement will make you a greater liar than what you already are. (according to your beliefs, anyway. )

Remember this very sentence whenever you tell people here that they were never a christian to begin with.

Retracting or making changes to this statement will make you a greater liar than what you already are. (according to your beliefs, anyway. )

It's that whole "once saved always saved" theology. I think it's called the Book of Life or something. One of the members of our local Atheist group always likes to bring it up. It's pretty funny! lol...