Goodbye Jesus

Reasons for Disbelief

Wertbag

Reasons for Disbelief.docx

Haven't tried posting a Word doc before, but let's see if this works...  this is my second draft of putting the ideas in this thread into a book form.  Draft 1 was dropping this text into Word, correcting the formatting and running the spelling and grammar check over it.  Draft 2 has been reordered, expanded several sections and added verse numbers for any bible quotes.

Any feedback welcome :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wertbag said:

Haven't tried posting a Word doc before, but let's see if this works... 

It works!  Not phone-friendly, but it works well on my iPad.  It will take me a while to look through but from reading many of your original posts I can say it’s valuable and important stuff.  Plus you get extra credit for posting this on Easter Sunday!  

Wertbag,

One thing that strikes me is that the Problems you've listed could be divided into two categories: Problems with Theism (as most people think of it: the idea of an OmniGod) and Problems with Christianity specifically.  I wonder if it would be good to arrange the document in two sections accordingly.  Depending on the reader's background and mindset, the two different kinds of argument can carry different weights.  The more Fundamentalist believer would find problems with specific Christian teachings to be more convincing.  A more liberal Christian, who doesn't hew to a strict interpretation, might wave away many of those problems, but would have a harder time answering the more fundamental objections to an all-loving all-powerful God.  

In the attached image I've color-coded the sections based on whether they are primarily problems with Christianity specifically (in blue), or with theism in general (yellow).  Some did not seem to ft neatly into a single category.  Hopefully it's legible!

If you were to act on my suggestion, it might make sense to edit some of the "yellow" items to refer to the idea of a god in general, rather than the Christian one specifically. 

Anyway, feel free to ignore anything I've said.  This is your work, ultimately.   I really admire what you've done here, so if I can be of any help, please let me know.  

Problems with Religion.jpg