Goodbye Jesus

Most Convincing Argument Against Christianity

Guest fatalGlory

The best argument against Christianity is its failed eschatology. A plain reading of the New Testament will make it abundantly clear that its writers believed that Jesus Christ was going to return during their lifetime. Also, a little bit of knowledge about how postdiction was utilized in apocalyptic literature such as the book of Daniel also makes it clear that the apocalyptic portions of the synoptic gospels were either written during or after the Jewish-Roman Wars. The intended audience would believe that the writers predicted the events chronicled, and would buy into their predictions which, like those in Daniel, never happened.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• Ouroboros

• Vigile

• KT45

*A*)- this is one of the best ways we have, why settle for untestable theories, or a tried and experimented theory, that actually wields results.

*B*)- Not everything is fossilized, it take very rare circumstances.

*C*)- this is a big thing, the bible was written by men, so it couldn't be the exact words of God.

*D*)- Isn't that a fictional book?

*E*)- Again, only rare things get fossilized, we are still in the dark about most evolutionary processes.

*F*)- theism isn't ignorant, the theist is, they are very close-minded, an open minded one would most likely change their religious preference to that which appeals the most to them.

*G*)- again, only tangible evidence, people weren't all that dumb back then, and could have some good theories, but our tools and intelligence has helped us better their theories and ideas.

*H*)- again wrong, a deity could have just as likely caused evolution and made the first life forms.

*I*)- now it would be, centuries ago? no it wouldn't. With better science comes a different thinking style, less intangible evidence, and more tangible facts and theories.

*J*)- this is true. 60% of people that call themselves christians, do not actually follow the teachings. They may believe in a god, but that makes them theists, not christians. People who are "actual" christians and follow the bible, are not hypocrites, but seem ignorant and forceful to more relaxed belief systems.

I'm only 15, I'm sure you could have figured that out all in an afternoon if you wanted to.

Ignore the meanies on this site, they mean the same, just have a hard time expressing it.

Also. Person + Anonymity= an idiot that would not act the same in person.

The best argument against Christianity? Christians suck. That is all.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to these forums and they seem to lack a poll function so let's just try to stick to the options on our own.

The Gist: I am a christian and am preparing a short talk for my church. It's just a small personal project but I would like some opinions. Of those listed below, what do people believe is the most convincing argument against christianity?

*A*) Radioisotope Dating

*B*) Archaeological incompatibility

*C*) Just can't accept it ethically/phillosophically

*D*) The Da Vinci Code

*E*) The Fossil Record

*F*) Theism as a whole is just ignorant

*G*) It contains the flat-earth theory and other scientific errors

*H*) The fact of evolution proves there's no god

*I*) The bible is unreliable

*J*) Christians are just hypocrites

To make it easy for me to count, can each person include they're choice in the form of *X* somewhere in their post? That way I can just use firefox's find functions to quickly count them.

Cheers everyone, look forward to seeing the cross section.

First you come on here and ask us to prove a negative - why Christianity is incorrect. You make an Argument From Ignorance by implying that Christianity must be true and ask us to explain why we think it's false.

Then you present a False Dilemma with a limited number of choices - as a Jew myself none of these would be valid. For me it was education. The more I learned about the world around me the more I realized that "god" had nothing to do with it. Education also gave me the ability to critically think about what I was being told to believe - and that's the straw that will break the camel's back for any religion. Supernatural claims require supernatural proof.

Go read about some of the other religions and come back and apply your own "list" to them - I guarantee that your list will be inadequate.

I think that I am confused here. Didn't the original poster write that the majority of christians are not christians? (S)he also said that any liberal christians were not real christians. I may be wrong to believe that he means politicaly liberal, and would like clarification. I would like him to give the definition of what a Christian is so that we can all work off of that same definition.

Then I would like the Fatal Glory to explain why he felt that he was even qualified to ask the question of why we left. It seems that he did not read any of the testimonials. It doesn't even seem like he is/was willing to try and look at the question from a non-christian viewpoint. I believe this because of the way the choices were framed and the inclusion of The DaVinci Code as a common reason to leave the faith. I see this in the same vein that Christians use for opposing Harry Potter, they worry impressionable youths will read the book and then decide that christianity is not right for them.