Goodbye Jesus

Waiting For Christ's Return

Antlerman

I saw a recent back-and-forth in a thread here that reminded me of something. I remember a number of years ago, that political entertainer Rush Limbaugh on a T.V. show he had during the Clinton Administration where he started each episode with "America held hostage, Day 123, 124," etc. I've decided we are going to start our own day count on Jesus' return.

Roughly factoring in the days since the generally held date of Jesus' death on April 14, in 33 C.E., plus the post resurrection period and promise of his return, we are at a rough estimate of 721,387 days since the promise was given of his imminent return. I'll periodically update the "Still Waiting" thread for those "counting the days" for Christ's return. And so it begins:

Still Waiting: Day 721,387

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• Ouroboros

• Neon Genesis

• chefranden

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a number from Keith Olbermann's Countdown.

We need a Java-servlet count-down website...

I remember being taught that Jesus wouldn't come till "everyone had a chance to hear the Good News and be Saved". Which of course, because of satellites was "soon". The impossibility of such a task is so clear it's amazing I didn't see it at the time. New people are constantly being born. How can the entire world population hear the good news and be saved when there are always new people?

We need a Java-servlet count-down website...

Yes. This will be much easier than me manually updating this every day until I die of old age, then someone else taking over until they die of old age, and so on for the next 10,000 generations. It would be like counting out the number of pi to the point of infinity. I'm not a java programmer, but if anyone here is and would like to take on the job for fun....

Oh well, until then....

Still Waiting: Day 721,388

Hm, God should check his clock.

Hm, God should check his clock.

Since he's eternal and omniscient, then the question is rather, can he even have a clock? Would the God-clock show all dates, hours, minutes, and seconds simultaneous, in the same instance?

Wow. God could hit his snooze button as many times as he wants and still not be late. Now that's power.

I'm not a java programmer, but if anyone here is and would like to take on the job for fun....

I'm no expert, but I took a Java class last semester and we dabbled a bit with websites. I might be able to come up with something within the next couple of days so I'll give it a shot.

I remember being taught that Jesus wouldn't come till "everyone had a chance to hear the Good News and be Saved". Which of course, because of satellites was "soon". The impossibility of such a task is so clear it's amazing I didn't see it at the time. New people are constantly being born. How can the entire world population hear the good news and be saved when there are always new people?
But doesn't Jesus contradict this by saying no one who was there with him will see death before the Second Coming arrives?

Since he's eternal and omniscient, then the question is rather, can he even have a clock? Would the God-clock show all dates, hours, minutes, and seconds simultaneous, in the same instance?
So, does this mean God is experiencing the end of the world while also not destroying it at the same time?

But doesn't Jesus contradict this by saying no one who was there with him will see death before the Second Coming arrives?

I have met them, and damn, they are old. It's just really hard to describe how old they look.

I have met them, and damn, they are old. It's just really hard to describe how old they look.

They attend the First Christian Church.

First first Christian: Hey, remember those darned Romans?

Second first Christian: Yeah, I... What?

First first Christian: What?

Still Waiting: Day 721,389

Just as a hypothetical, what would you do if the blue sky split open? :)

Enjoy my dream.

• Super Moderator

Are each of those days as a thousand years?

Die. Until then, I choose to live.

BTW, the odds of being hit by a rock from outer space and killing me appear significantly more likely than a mythical god riding out of the clouds on a horse and killing me does. When was the last time you worried about Zeus striking you from Olympus as opposed to being killed in a car wreck? Do I make my point?

Get a CAT scan, and stop using LSD.

Guest end3

Die. Until then, I choose to live.

BTW, the odds of being hit by a rock from outer space and killing me appear significantly more likely than a mythical god riding out of the clouds on a horse and killing me does. When was the last time you worried about Zeus striking you from Olympus as opposed to being killed in a car wreck? Do I make my point?

I did have a dream one time about the rapture......it seemed a bit chaotic......people getting white robes, but mine wasn't "coming on" as the robes were just appearing. I asked where mine was, and then it appeared. I remember thinking :phew:

And as an aside.....and I plead ignorance, but are most myths so indepth? I mean, to my recollection, all the life questions that we have addressed seemed to be addressed in the Bible....maybe not all, but a darn many, literally or figuratively. Does that not strike some question in your mind?

You seem as though you might still be in that "banning" mood....

And as an aside.....and I plead ignorance, but are most myths so indepth? I mean, to my recollection, all the life questions that we have addressed seemed to be addressed in the Bible....maybe not all, but a darn many, literally or figuratively. Does that not strike some question in your mind?

I have a lot of questions that I've never seen addressed in the Bible: Why does the Bible indicate that the Universe is 6000 years old when the natural evidence indicates it is 13.5 to 14 billion years old? Why are innocent children killed in God's pograms? Why are innocent children sold into sex slavery? Why doesn't god heal amputees? Why didn't I get a bike for my tenth Christmas? How does God get out of the way when I pee? Where did Cain get his wife? Why did God kill David's kid for David's sin instead of David? Why does God hate gay people, but is ok with fat Christians? Why doesn't God turn the other cheek? What is the proper way to get saved? The bible doesn't know or is at least confused.

I've got more, If you know the answers to these.

Why doesn't God turn the other cheek?

Oh, I actually know this answer: God has an omni-cheek, so which ever way he turns it, it's the same cheek, so technically, he can't turn his cheek. :)

(If God ever makes a tongue-in-cheek comment, we're doomed. There would tongue, spit, and slobber, everywhere!)

Guest end3

I have a lot of questions that I've never seen addressed in the Bible: Why does the Bible indicate that the Universe is 6000 years old when the natural evidence indicates it is 13.5 to 14 billion years old? Why are innocent children killed in God's pograms? Why are innocent children sold into sex slavery? Why doesn't god heal amputees? Why didn't I get a bike for my tenth Christmas? How does God get out of the way when I pee? Where did Cain get his wife? Why did God kill David's kid for David's sin instead of David? Why does God hate gay people, but is ok with fat Christians? Why doesn't God turn the other cheek? What is the proper way to get saved? The bible doesn't know or is at least confused.

I've got more, If you know the answers to these.

Ok, certainty is Chef, I am not a very nice person and really am not too interested in what many people think, as I really don't care and mostly don't give a shit on top of that.. For all the questions it does answer, you have listed only a relative few that you have trouble with. Kind of like a vaccination...there are the few that bitch about the rare incidents of trouble....you know, the celebrities.

Can people share the grace that is shown among friends with dissenting view points? I don't know, but if I were there, I would force you to go have a cold beer on me....grumpy old bastard.

Let me edit: Certainty is, not truth, certainty!

You seem as though you might still be in that "banning" mood....

Oh.. sorry about that. I won't ban you end. His wording just triggered a severe response from me. I've explained in that thread.

As far as so many life questions being addressed in the Bible, I really like your question! Seriously. The first thing I would say is yes, it does because humans in societies have the same struggles and issues as they always have. These are the things expressed in its language, be it in simple aphorisms, or apocalyptic pronouncements, etc, they all come from the same place in humans. Secondly, we can understand its language because the culture that grew us, grew from it. In other words, its like hearing a native language. It's ideas, its myths, its sayings formed our culture, and growing up in this cultural we naturally work within this framework.

This is the thing about culture, about mythologies we create. They sound "right" to us, because it's the language of reality we created for us to function within. It's in the background operating as a "2nd nature". to us. Both realities, biological and cultural, are what comprise the experience of reality for us. Put another way, the myths of another culture make perfect sense to them and fit life for them for the same reasons, while to us it sounds "wrong". :)

Make sense?

Enjoy a world without fundies for 1,000 years.

Does this bible ever answer this question?
A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are 5 people who have been tied to the track. Fortunately, you can flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch?

Enjoy a world without fundies for 1,000 years.

:funny:

Does this bible ever answer this question?
A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are 5 people who have been tied to the track. Fortunately, you can flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch?

Oh... yes he did say "All" of life's questions. So it is. Hmmm... let's see if I can find a Bible verse to fit. Kill the one, save the many... which to choose??? :scratch: Searching.... searching....

Are they predestined for salvation or damnation? Are they all Christians? Which one is the non-Christian???? Processing...

:HaHa: