Goodbye Jesus

Waiting For Christ's Return

Antlerman

Guest end3
Just as a hypothetical, what would you do if the blue sky split open? :)
Enjoy a world without fundies for 1,000 years.

And as an aside.....and I plead ignorance, but are most myths so indepth? I mean, to my recollection, all the life questions that we have addressed seemed to be addressed in the Bible....maybe not all, but a darn many, literally or figuratively. Does that not strike some question in your mind?
Does this bible ever answer this question?
A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are 5 people who have been tied to the track. Fortunately, you can flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch?

It does answer that question in Christ, who gave his life for all of the aforementioned people.

Or you pray that God will give you the right answer, like flipping the switch after part of the train has gone one way, thus derailing the train.

That was easy.....next.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• Ouroboros

• Neon Genesis

• chefranden

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All mythologies throughout history have answered the questions of life, why we are here, how we got here, what are we supposed to do.....even the most "primitive" societies have rich myths, as rich as the Christian one.

Egypt had a rich mythology answering all the Bible questions hundreds of years before the Jews got their act together, just to name one omni-rich mythological system.

So did the Myans, the Hopi, the Aboriginals of Austrailia, etc, etc, etc,......The Bible is far from being the only one answering life's questions fully.

Ok, certainty is Chef, I am not a very nice person and really am not too interested in what many people think, as I really don't care and mostly don't give a shit on top of that.. For all the questions it does answer, you have listed only a relative few that you have trouble with. Kind of like a vaccination...there are the few that bitch about the rare incidents of trouble....you know, the celebrities.

Can people share the grace that is shown among friends with dissenting view points? I don't know, but if I were there, I would force you to go have a cold beer on me....grumpy old bastard.

Let me edit: Certainty is, not truth, certainty!

Sure, but not in the Lion's den. This is like The Fight Club don't you know? First you beat each other bloody and then you go have a beer.

I listed a relative few in order to preserve Dave's bandwidth and storage. I learned to keep my screeds to a paragraph or two.

But seriously, what life questions does it answer satisfactorily that are not equally answered by some other religion?

Guest end3

And btw, for a man that didn't exist, you sure have the number of days pinned down pretty close......perhaps you ought to round to the nearest thousand days...to make yourselves look a little better. :Doh:

It does answer that question in Christ, who gave his life for all of the aforementioned people.
How does Jesus' sacrifice answer the question at all? That's entirely irrelevant to the question.

Or you pray that God will give you the right answer, like flipping the switch after part of the train has gone one way, thus derailing the train.

That was easy.....next.

What, God can't use his magical powers to save everyone involved? In other words, you're saying God thinks the person the trolley wrecks with deserved to die? In other words, since God is magically controlling the situation with his divine influence, God committed a premeditated murder on the person who dies from the trolley? In other words, the question is not answered at all.

And btw, for a man that didn't exist, you sure have the number of days pinned down pretty close......perhaps you ought to round to the nearest thousand days...to make yourselves look a little better. :Doh:

Oh my dear end... it's all mythology, so let's have some symbolic fun, shall we? :HaHa: Myth upon myth. Hey, even you brought in the "splitting the sky" myth, to which I brought in the god on the white horse myth. What's a few thousand days or so when your talking symbolism anyway? Who's counting? God? ;)

Guest end3
How does Jesus' sacrifice answer the question at all? That's entirely irrelevant to the question.

Your inability to think makes it entirely irrelevant....no other reason.

What, God can't use his magical powers to save everyone involved?

God does not do magic.

In other words, you're saying God thinks the person the trolley wrecks with deserved to die?

The Holy Spirit did not tell me how your make believe story turns out.

In other words, since God is magically controlling the situation with his divine influence, God committed a premeditated murder on the person who dies from the trolley?

See above noting the God and magic thing.

In other words, the question is not answered at all.

Not to your satisfaction, obviously.

I saw a recent back-and-forth in a thread here that reminded me of something. I remember a number of years ago, that political entertainer Rush Limbaugh on a T.V. show he had during the Clinton Administration where he started each episode with "America held hostage, Day 123, 124," etc. I've decided we are going to start our own day count on Jesus' return.

Roughly factoring in the days since the generally held date of Jesus' death on April 14, in 33 C.E., plus the post resurrection period and promise of his return, we are at a rough estimate of 721,387 days since the promise was given of his imminent return. I'll periodically update the "Still Waiting" thread for those "counting the days" for Christ's return. And so it begins:

Still Waiting: Day 721,387

I some times wonder how many times a day someone passes away,dies, quit's breathing, goes to sleep or whatever anyone believes ends there time here on the earth in the flesh of the body, is that when he comes back for the second time in each humans life, when life ends, if so you can quit counting.

Still Waiting: Day 721,387

I some times wonder how many times a day someone passes away,dies, quit's breathing, goes to sleep or whatever anyone believes ends there time here on the earth in the flesh of the body, is that when he comes back for the second time in each humans life, when life ends, if so you can quit counting.

Like good conservatives, if you accept the "plain meaning" of scripture, this wouldn't fit. But I suppose it's one way to interpret it if you look at it loosely. Of course it could mean anything, the "second coming" that is, such as when someone converts, has a religious experience, sees a sunset that inspires them, etc. At which point it's purely symbolic and not literal. (which to me is the point of mythology, btw). What "Jesus" meant is besides the point. It's what you choose to see that is the point.

Your inability to think makes it entirely irrelevant....no other reason.
You're the one who believes a magical friendly ghost in the sky speaks to you yet I'm the one who can't think?

The Holy Spirit did not tell me how your make believe story turns out.
You should go see somebody about those voices you're hearing in your head.

Another day passes, approaching 721,400 days since the promise of the return of Jesus was made. Been plenty of signs of his imminent return over the last 200 Centuries. Turned out to be false alarms, or just overactive imaginations.

Still Waiting: Day 721,390

Guest end3
Another day passes, approaching 721,400 days since the promise of the return of Jesus was made. Been plenty of signs of his imminent return over the last 200 Centuries. Turned out to be false alarms, or just overactive imaginations.

200 Centuries? 20000 years.....I guess you could say He was before He was.....

Very true. Or close to 14,000 years before the measurement of "year" even existed. :)

I wonder how God measure days, nights, hours, years, in Heaven? Is the 24h clock something which is an absolute holy time measurement which can't change in the eternal/infinite space and time? Confusing... :crazy:

He already said "all of these things will come to pass" within their lifetimes so I think he pretty much failed a long time ago and people have been tapdancing around it ever since. Just another doom and gloom "the end is near!" cult if you ask me, only people are so stupid that after 2000 years they think the end will be in their own lifetimes.

Oh hi! You must be new here. :HaHa:

Indeed. He walked amongst our ancestors, leading them forth from the caves. Jesus Neanderthal, Son of the Holy Sky Bear:

Neanderthal_Jesus.jpg

Guest end3

Indeed. He walked amongst our ancestors, leading them forth from the caves. Jesus Neanderthal, Son of the Holy Sky Bear:

post-246-1244587246_thumb.jpg

You can't fool me....that's Kareem Abdul Jabar!

Guest Net Eng
I wonder how God measure days, nights, hours, years, in Heaven? Is the 24h clock something which is an absolute holy time measurement which can't change in the eternal/infinite space and time? Confusing... :crazy:

God doesnt' need a clock per se. He uses this:

post-4038-1244587300_thumb.png

Link

From this "inspired" website we can see that Jeebus' Second Coming is going to be real soon!! :eek:

Guest end3

God doesnt' need a clock per se. He uses this:

post-4038-1244587300_thumb.png

Link

From this "inspired" website we can see that Jeebus' Second Coming is going to be real soon!! :eek:

And no "snooze" button...damn it!

For some reason, that pic reminds me of Aragon's actor from the LOTR movies.

I'm not a java programmer, but if anyone here is and would like to take on the job for fun....

I'm no expert, but I took a Java class last semester and we dabbled a bit with websites. I might be able to come up with something within the next couple of days so I'll give it a shot.

After a busy day yesterday, I was able to sit down this afternoon and finish. Click here to see it. There aren't any fancy gadgets or gizmos, but it gets the point across. And since I used an online calculator to generate my number, it's a little bit off from your number Antlerman. But hey- if God's allowed to mix up 6k and 14.5B years, why would he care if I'm off by a couple hundred days? :happy_old:

By the way, does anyone know of a better place to host a .jsp file for free? The server I'm currently using automatically shuts down every few hours and I have to manually restart it in order to get the countdown back up. So my apologies if the link doesn't work, I'll try to have it up as much as I can for the next couple of days at least.

I'm not a java programmer, but if anyone here is and would like to take on the job for fun....

I'm no expert, but I took a Java class last semester and we dabbled a bit with websites. I might be able to come up with something within the next couple of days so I'll give it a shot.

After a busy day yesterday, I was able to sit down this afternoon and finish. Click here to see it. There aren't any fancy gadgets or gizmos, but it gets the point across. And since I used an online calculator to generate my number, it's a little bit off from your number Antlerman. But hey- if God's allowed to mix up 6k and 14.5B years, why would he care if I'm off by a couple hundred days? :happy_old:

By the way, does anyone know of a better place to host a .jsp file for free? The server I'm currently using automatically shuts down every few hours and I have to manually restart it in order to get the countdown back up. So my apologies if the link doesn't work, I'll try to have it up as much as I can for the next couple of days at least.

:lmao::funny::lmao:

That's great! I love Jesus peering over the back of the chair! Too funny.

Maybe Hans know how we can try to incorporate this for the site. Hans, any thoughts?

Oh... and by the way....

Still Waiting: Day 721,901

• 3 weeks later...

The sun is out, the birds are chirping, and life goes on for all the world. Except for those who are....

Still Waiting: Day 721,917

• 2 weeks later...

How may days is the countdown on now?