Goodbye Jesus

I Notice That Christians Don't Bother To Post Here

Kelli

You'd think they'd be clamoring to post here and convert us heathens.

My guess is they'd probably say they'd be wasting their time. I guess they'd be right. Still, funny that they can't cope outside a heavily moderated christian forum. Some can't even cope with that.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shaman

• tdsurf

• Amethyst

• Lycorth

Ah, but some do post here on occasion. You missed Amie Marie for instance.

Some do, but they're not very bright.

I don't mean to dredge up old issues, but I used to post here a few years back and only left when one of the regulars resorted to posting my personal information on the internet, including wife's name, city and address, etc. I found that to be intolerable and dropped out at that point. What level of desperation causes a non-believer to resort to this? I think I can be dealt with using more reasonable means.

moving forwad,

td

I don't mean to dredge up old issues, but I used to post here a few years back and only left when one of the regulars resorted to posting my personal information on the internet, including wife's name, city and address, etc. I found that to be intolerable and dropped out at that point. What level of desperation causes a non-believer to resort to this? I think I can be dealt with using more reasonable means.

moving forwad,

td

Wow that's a pretty strong accusation. Who was that and does he particpate here anymore?

The lurkers see how we run the braver ones off and they don't dare try themselves. Only the most dull witted amongst them don't realize that they can't counter logic with faith.

moving forwad,

td

Wow that's a pretty strong accusation. Who was that and does he particpate here anymore?

I don't know and it doesnt matter as it appears the archives are gone. I'm willing to give it another chance as I detect a more mature atmosphere here than back then.

As a believer, I find that forums like this are interesting and challenging. I constantly struggle to free myself from dogma and assumptions and am always open to exploring and understanding the limitations of my faith. As long as everybody plays nice. And... I have no illusions of converting anybody either.

td

The lurkers see how we run the braver ones off and they don't dare try themselves. Only the most dull witted amongst them don't realize that they can't counter logic with faith.

That is a bold assumption. Do you imagine that there are hundreds of lurking Christians standing on the interenet sidelines trembling in fear, hoping that a 'David' will come along and slay the ex-christian 'Goliath'.

There are a number of Christian forums on the internet, but I never see an ex-christian coming onto those sites and hammering at believers.

I think there are just a lot of other things to do in life than anonymous proselytizing. Doesn't that make a little more sense?

td

As a believer, I find that forums like this are interesting and challenging. I constantly struggle to free myself from dogma and assumptions and am always open to exploring and understanding the limitations of my faith. As long as everybody plays nice. And... I have no illusions of converting anybody either.

Then you'll find a welcome and open forum for discussing ideas. The only times I've seen people really get hammered here is when they come accross as judgmental. The one thing that triggers it for me is when someone tries toe make themselves feel better about the things they believe by dismissing any legitamcy of the faith I've had in the past, using some lame reading of John Calvin's theology about predistination. It doesn't hold up in the Christian world as universally believed, and certainly not in the real world where each of us lived very strong and sincere faiths, that didn't survive us confronting it with life. It's not dealing with real issues, and is really an ad hominen diversionary tactic.

As long is there is an attitude of respect, then there will be a welcome discussion over differences of ideas.

Nor should you have tolerated that. The person posting your info should have been banned.... or at least he would if I were running things. It's easy enough to show christians the error of their ways without resorting to their gutter tactics.

...There are a number of Christian forums on the internet, but I never see an ex-christian coming onto those sites and hammering at believers.

Why don't non believers troll the believers forums? We don't need to, and us non believers, well most of us anyway, actually believe it's not a nice thing to do.

I think there are just a lot of other things to do in life than anonymous proselytizing. Doesn't that make a little more sense?

It makes no sense because proselytizing is done so that other BELIEVERS can see you doing it.

That is a bold assumption.

Not an assumption so much as an observation. I've been here for almost two years and this seems to be the case.

There are a number of Christian forums on the internet, but I never see an ex-christian coming onto those sites and hammering at believers.

Funny man. That's because the other sites censor them and delete their posts. This fact backs up my stated observation.

td

If you truly believed the gospel as it is told, you would spend every waking hour trying to make sure to share it with everyone possible. What way would be more efficient than the internet, which reaches millions? But I don't think you guys truly believe the story.

I think there are just a lot of other things to do in life than anonymous proselytizing.

td

If you truly believed the gospel as it is told, you would spend every waking hour trying to make sure to share it with everyone possible. What way would be more efficient than the internet, which reaches millions?

Personally, I don't believe it is more efficient. The gospel should be delivered on a more personal level and the internet is anything but. Mass attempts for example TBN are not effective IMHO. I think Jesus' commands to share the gospel support the one-on-one concept and most Christians have missed that mark. They are usually too busy stealing believers from other churches in the name of "growth".

td

I think Jesus' commands to share the gospel support the one-on-one concept and most Christians have missed that mark. They are usually too busy stealing believers from other churches in the name of "growth".

td

Correction, I am specifically referring to the 'SoCal materialist' flavor of Christian. That comment was biased and prejudiced on my part as there are many Christians around the world, especially in "third world" countries who are following Jesus' instruction a bit more closely.

td

td

Actaully, I do not know about all Christian forums on the net, but Christian forum's general debate board often has more non-christians posting than christians. As to hammering... I don't know what specifically hammering would entail and if that is what anyone would want anyway. I realise that is only one board on one forum, but as someone else already pointed out most Christian forums are heavily censored, and within Christian forums there are only a handful of boards where non-christians are even allowed to post.

If you truly believed the gospel as it is told, you would spend every waking hour trying to make sure to share it with everyone possible. What way would be more efficient than the internet, which reaches millions? But I don't think you guys truly believe the story.

Very true, Vigile. I used to listen to Xians say this during my Xian days, when I truly did believe, but I felt stupid making too big a deal out of my religion. I didn't want to confront the entire world, especially on a one-to-one level, because I felt like a jerk, shoving my faith in others' faces and all that.

But, if the Gospel is true, and its message of "turn or burn" is real, then the True Believer™ should spend every waking moment saving souls from Hell, no? Otherwise, they don't really believe their message is as needed as they think.

I made excuses like "well if they don't turn to Jebus after all this time, tough tits on them" and shit like that. It just gave me an excuse to harden my heart and not care if others burned in Hell for the henious, unforgiveable crime of not having faith :crazy:

TD, if someone was posting your private info here, then that person was being an ass. There have been a few assholes who were regulars here, but they seem to be gone now. Furthermore, I have a hard time believing the majority of people here are that fucked up. People here will tolerate aggressive evangelism of a disgusting religion on this forum without having the offender's posts deleted and the user banned (unlike Xian forums), so if you can't provide proof that you experienced that here, I simply don't believe it. Xians are fond of accusing non-Xians of all sorts of immoral and sick acts, so an accusation like that doesn't surprise me in the least.

And I'm sure Jebus, if he existed and said what the Babble claims he said, didn't expect us to use only a one-on-one method of conversion. The importance of avoiding eternal torment outweighs the means used to convey the means of escape to people, no? Xians who have used death, torture, brainwashing, and terror tactics to forcibly spread this sick-ass religion of yours throughout history and modern times stand as a testament to that. So, please don't try to make excuses for Xianity, because most of us have been there and done that before, including me.

Most are heavily censored, but theologyonline.com has a couple of places where non-christians can post virtually anything. They're some of the most fucked up, as christians go (very heavy into dominionism), but at least they let you post.

Posting on that forum actually aided in my deconversion process, lest ye fellow non-believers think that posting on a forum such as that is a waste of time.

Disclaimer: Poly (a female admin) posts shit that will absolutely make you want to bang your head against a wall at times. You've been warned.

Tdsurf... Been an awful long time, but that handle seems vaguely familiar.

Mostly I think it is because a lot of people judge the whole because of the crappy ones they've actually dealt with. Stereotypes aren't fun and all that.

My guess is they'd probably say they'd be wasting their time. I guess they'd be right. Still, funny that they can't cope outside a heavily moderated christian forum. Some can't even cope with that.

You weren't here when CF was down for a while. We were bombarded by fundy's.

They come and go in spurts, just when it's dry and we have to contend with people like Leaf to entertain us, Vacation Bible School lets out and we have a whole new crop of Christians to toy with.

Back in the olden days they used to post in droves here. One or two were even deconverted. Ex-C has gotten a reputation that says to Christians "Don't Tread On Me".

Also it is very tough for a Christian to get started and accepted here. It doesn't take long for them to find out that they have little or nothing that most here have not heard. They don't notice right off the EX part of Ex-Christian and they get told to leave by many members. Anyway, if they don't want to hear our side they don't stay much over 20 posts. Some have stayed for quite awhile and have been tolerated if not loved.

moving forwad,

td

I would say if it happens again, bring it up to one of the mods in a PM. If you have evidence of the old posts, bring that up to the mods too.

I would say that if you do post your personal info *anywhere* on the net, even if it's just your blog or something, chances are pretty good that an intelligent person can track it down and post it somewhere else where you don't want it, so be careful where you place that information online. I don't post my entire address anywhere. General city and state, sure. But not full address, no way.

moving forwad,

Y'know what? I think I remember that. '03 or '04, wasn't it? Can't remember all the circumstances behind it though, so I can't comment on what really happened, or if any of it was deserved. At any rate, here's hoping nothing like that happens again.

What a joke. Most Christian board/forums I have seen on the internet DO NOT welcome non-Christians (especially "ex-Christians"), unless they sense a sale (conversion to Christianity). In other words, if you're just there to debate or you haven't accepted Jesus by about your 3rd post, you're probably going to be banned and sent on your merry way. Lets face it, most Christians don't want to hear opposing views, because anyone who opposes Christianity is obviously one of Satan's minions or the anti-Christ :Wendywhatever: . From what i've seen, most Christian mods view outsiders with suspicion and paranoia.....they are deathly afraid one of the flock will be led astray, and they do their best to shield the "sheep" from any outside influences, and are quick to ban anyone who doesn't agree with them or share their beliefs. I've even seen some Christian sites ban other Christians because they were from the "wrong" denomination and accused of being blasphemers and heretics spreading "false" doctrine. Remember, they are there as warriors in a grandiose spiritual battle for eternal souls, they are hardly looking for an intellectual challenge or to sharpen their critical thinking skills :loser: