Goodbye Jesus

The Newly Found Book Of Judas

Amanda

The stuff on the Japanese 'structure' I think is interesting inthe field of underwater archaeology, but is almost certainly a geological phenomenon.

I couldn't find a link to that. If it is what I think it is, off the coast of Okinawa, then it's a geological formation. Like the Giants Causeway.

Hey Jun... I am more familiar with the western culture, although recently I've become very interested in far eastern thought. First I started with Buddhism... and love what I was able to comprehend. I don't know if it is the cultural context in which it is delivered, or if it is just way over my head... lets say, I struggle with it. Then I went to Zen, and figured out the aspect of existing fully in the moment. Frankly, IMO, my problem is I exist too much in the moment. :HaHa:

Back to my point. I know all our history probably starts in Ethiopia, then traveled to India. My information has them backtracking towards the west, however, I highly suspect others went farther east, and I know little about the settling in your neck of the woods. Yet, I'm sure your Japanese history is ancient, and very intellectually oriented. Can you summarize how your culture there rose from early antiquity? I sense the Sumerians were the dominating force to our culture, inventing the wheel, written language, and more, then Imhotep with the Egyptians gave further progress. Later, people like Socratese and Plato contributed more. Are these people important players in your culture, or what are the cornerstones creating Japanese life today? :thanks:

Amanda, I have only ten minutes to make a quick response, so I'll start with prehistory -

Although I study/teach Japanese history and culture I'm not Japanese. My family is from the Southern Highlands of Scotland, I was born in oz. :grin: Many Japanese find this amusing, I study/teach their culture and they know nothing of it!

I suggest having a read through the National Geographic Genographic Project. (https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html) Through this project they have made some startling discoveries. One was as you mentioned; the backtracking. Have a look at the Atlas of the Human Journey. It shows the spread of the human race through following our genetic markers and combining that with archaeology and culture.

By using this study so far we know that four haplogroups C D N and O account for 98.9% of Japanese chromosomes, with haplogroups O and D comprising the majority of these - 86.4% Haplogroup O is the most common in Japan accounting for 51.7% of Japanese. Haplogroup O isn't found in the indigenous Ainu, which separates them from the majority Asian Japanese population.

The Jomon period (10,000 BC - 300BC) contribution to modern Japanese is 40.3% with the highest frequency in the native Ainu - 75% and Ryukyuans (Okinawans) - 60%.

The Yayoi Y chromosomes account for 51.9% of Japanese paternal lineages. There is no Yayoi lineage evident in the native Ainu.

Haplogroup D is found highest in Tibet. The primary candidate region for the geographic source of the paleolithic Japanese is Tibet and the Altaic mountains. This is reinforced by the Japanese language (which is not Asian as people might think, but Altaic - related to Turkish, Tibetan, Korean, Mongolian). Historical records indicate that the Tibetans arrived in Tibet around 3,000 to 4,000 years ago. Japanese haplogroup DNA M12 is found only in two other races - Tibetans and Koreans.

Just quickly in point form -

• Japan's first inhabitants - the Ainu - were contemporaneous with the early Egyptians.
  • The Ainu invented the worlds first pottery in the 14th millenium BC.
  • The Ainu people are a caucasoid race and have inhabited Japan for 38,000 years, since the end of the last Glacial age.
  • They were displaced by the Asians arriving from Korea in the Yayoi period (400 BC). It was these Koreans (who had originated in Tibet) who brought rice agriculture to Japan and the animistic/shamanistic origins of Shintõ.
  • The lineage of the emperor of Japan can be traced back to these early Korean horse-riding invaders/warriors.

I know this is a quick and choppy intro, sorry I'm pressed for time. More when I return.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Amanda

• Jun

• NotBlinded

Sumerians were Semitic. The Egyptians almost Caucasian. They didn't seem to belong in the region.

Sumerians were not Semitic. The Akkadians seem to be the precursors of Semitism. They did infiltrate and absorb the Sumerians as they invaded their cities. However, the timeline MWC suggests as the significant era in the rise of Egypt seems to predate that occurrence. Hence, if the Noah story is loosely based on an actual event, as stated on the history channel, of a Sumerian... then perhaps it was one of his sons, Ham, that gave rise to these Phonecians in some way. I suppose, if the story has any veracity, that Shem must have alligned with the Akkadians, and Japheth (sp?) went with the gentiles, which I suppose were the Greeks and Romans. If a great Sumerian leader was displaced along with his family because of a great flood, common to that location in those days... maybe this is the only insight we have to what happened. Of course, I'm guessing... but would like to understand if it fits in with the rest of history as we know it to be now. Further, this may explain the implications of similar myths integrated with those of the different regions.

Amanda,

You seem to be attempting to find a story in real history that will somewhat jive with what is recorded in the Old Testament. The problem is, there IS no such linkage. The OT authors took bits and pieces of many different traditions and legends and crafted their own heritage, making it up as they went along. The true ancestors were various nomadic peoples in the region. That's why there is so little archaeological support for the OT, compared to other cultures in the area.

Amanda,

You seem to be attempting to find a story in real history that will somewhat jive with what is recorded in the Old Testament. The problem is, there IS no such linkage. The OT authors took bits and pieces of many different traditions and legends and crafted their own heritage, making it up as they went along. The true ancestors were various nomadic peoples in the region. That's why there is so little archaeological support for the OT, compared to other cultures in the area.

:)Thanks Trashy! MWC already pointed out to me that my ideas were highly unlikely, when he brought to my attention that if this were to be a displaced Sumerian group giving rise to the surrounding flourishing cultures... they would have surely brought the concept of the wheel with them. How could I debate that point? I can now see that couldn't have happened. Although I was getting my idea from a story on the History Channel. Too bad they didn't have MWC to consult with them before their long story was televised. <_<

I suggest having a read through the National Geographic Genographic Project. (https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/atlas.html) Through this project they have made some startling discoveries. One was as you mentioned; the backtracking. Have a look at the Atlas of the Human Journey. It shows the spread of the human race through following our genetic markers and combining that with archaeology and culture.

By using this study so far we know that four haplogroups C D N and O account for 98.9% of Japanese chromosomes, with haplogroups O and D comprising the majority of these - 86.4% Haplogroup O is the most common in Japan accounting for 51.7% of Japanese. Haplogroup O isn't found in the indigenous Ainu, which separates them from the majority Asian Japanese population.

Jun, thanks for that information! It is interesting that the C marker shows the original inhabitants of North America! They came the long way. :HaHa:

Other markers going to the far east show some mutual links with the European decendents. I guess it separated it somewhat with the trend to the far east, driven from Australia with the onset of the new ice age. Other than the silk trade BCE, it seems the far east has remained so distant to us... till really recent times. Also, on the site you referenced, I couldn't find the N genetic migration.

I think I saw a documentary of that at one time. Very interesting.

Just quickly in point form -
  • Japan's first inhabitants - the Ainu - were contemporaneous with the early Egyptians.
  • The Ainu invented the worlds first pottery in the 14th millenium BC.
  • The Ainu people are a caucasoid race and have inhabited Japan for 38,000 years, since the end of the last Glacial age.
  • They were displaced by the Asians arriving from Korea in the Yayoi period (400 BC). It was these Koreans (who had originated in Tibet) who brought rice agriculture to Japan and the animistic/shamanistic origins of Shintõ.
  • The lineage of the emperor of Japan can be traced back to these early Korean horse-riding invaders/warriors.

I know this is a quick and choppy intro, sorry I'm pressed for time. More when I return.

So, are your mythical evolutions similar to ours in any way? I think Hinduism is suppose to be the oldest religion, has it effected your evolution of thought over there?

What are the basic premises for Zen and Shinto? I thought Zen is about 'living in the moment'. I'm sure there's more to it than that. Your far eastern philosophies are becoming popular over here now.

How about any influence of Suffism, Islam, Judaism, and/or Christianity over there? :thanks:

PS... I know you are "Australian" yet you seem to embrace that culture there and I sense that it has become a big part of you. :)

Jun, thanks for that information! It is interesting that the C marker shows the original inhabitants of North America! They came the long way

Look up Kennewick man, it appears that the Ainu were in America first - before the American Indians.

Resemblance to the Ainu might account for Kennewick Man's Caucasoid features since the Ainu so closely resemble European and Middle Eastern populations that those populations were once thought to be related to one another, although DNA tests have shown that the Ainu are unrelated to any other living group.

From - http://www.nas.org/publications/sci_newsli...ewick_artic.htm

Also, on the site you referenced, I couldn't find the N genetic migration.

The N mitochondrial DNA is there, click on genetic markers - scroll down to mitochondrial DNA N - click on that.

So, are your mythical evolutions similar to ours in any way?

Not even in the slightest!

I think Hinduism is suppose to be the oldest religion, has it effected your evolution of thought over there?

Hinduism did not reach China, Tibet, Korea, or Japan.

What are the basic premises for Zen and Shinto?

Shintõ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto

Shinto has no binding set of dogma, no holiest place for worshippers, no person or kami deemed holiest, and no defined set of prayers. Instead, Shinto is a collection of rituals and methods meant to mediate the relations of living humans and kami.
- from Wiki

Zen - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen

I thought Zen is about 'living in the moment'. I'm sure there's more to it than that. Your far eastern philosophies are becoming popular over here now.

What makes Zen so unique is that it is not a religion, but a lifestyle. Zen does not require you to learn Japanese, wear Japanese robes, perform rituals or learn the tea ceremony! It requires you to notice your life, to experience who you are and what you are doing - fully conscious and awake - not simply running on auto-pilot. Zen means making a conscious effort not to overconsume, overindulge, live considerately, or harm others. The real work of Zen is internal, the process of "breaking and entering" the mind. Zen isn't bound by rules or dogma. Zen is flexible, individual, an inner development. You don't need any texts, robes, equipment - only you.

People are embracing simplicity, environmental responsibility, stress management, and the quest for serenity as modes for living. More people are becoming aware enough to realise, "Hey I'm living right here right now, I see what's going on." That is Zen.

How about any influence of Suffism, Islam, Judaism, and/or Christianity over there?

Zip, zilch, nada. Thankfully.

:thanks:Jun, thanks for the information, especially of the Kenwick man.

I think the evolution of the Japanese religions have taken some similar roots to ours. Some things that make me think so, I got from the site you listed for Shinto.

What are the basic premises for Zen and Shinto?

Shintõ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto

It says this:

In the early centuries BC, each tribe and area had its own collection of gods with no formal relationship between them. However, following the ascendancy of the Yamato Kingdom around the third to fifth centuries, the ancestral deities of the Emperor of Japan and the Imperial family were given prominence over others and a narrative made up to justify it. The result was the mythologizing of the Record of Ancient Matters (Kojiki, dated 712 AD) in which it was claimed that the imperial line descended directly from the sun-goddess, Amaterasu.

An important development was the introduction of a legal system based upon Chinese legalism and Confucianism (ritsuryō), in the late seventh and early eighth centuries. This established in law the supremacy of the emperor and great nobles, as well as formalizing their relationship to major shrines and festivals.

Even before the arrival of Buddhism, the rituals involved in kami worship had borrowed from Chinese Taoism and Confucianism. Though clan rivalry led to friction and fighting during the introduction of Buddhism, the worship of kami and the teachings of the Buddha soon settled into coexistence. In fact, syncretism between Buddhism and Shinto (神仏習合, shinbutsu shūgō?) was supposed to become the dominant feature of Japanese religion as a whole.

Although, you're right when you quoted this below:

Shinto has no binding set of dogma, no holiest place for worshippers, no person or kami deemed holiest, and no defined set of prayers. Instead, Shinto is a collection of rituals and methods meant to mediate the relations of living humans and kami.
- from Wiki

However, a little further down it says this:

Because Shinto has no absolute source of authority, some feel what was a natural expression of the beliefs of the people was hijacked by radical nationalists, who desired to unify the Japanese people against the "inferior" people in other nations. Others wonder if the emphasis Shinto places on Japanese exceptionalism made such developments inevitable. Even today, some far right factions within Japanese society want to see a greater emphasis placed on Shinto and increased reverence shown to the Emperor as part of a project to restore Japan to its "rightful place" as the leading nation of the world. For most Japanese, however, Shinto is not about expressing disdain for other nations but expressing one's own love of the natural landscape of Japan and the people and spirits that reside within it.

Is Feng Shui big in Japan? I really like those concepts. :)

Zen - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen

I thought Zen is about 'living in the moment'. I'm sure there's more to it than that. Your far eastern philosophies are becoming popular over here now.

What makes Zen so unique is that it is not a religion, but a lifestyle. Zen does not require you to learn Japanese, wear Japanese robes, perform rituals or learn the tea ceremony! It requires you to notice your life, to experience who you are and what you are doing - fully conscious and awake - not simply running on auto-pilot. Zen means making a conscious effort not to overconsume, overindulge, live considerately, or harm others. The real work of Zen is internal, the process of "breaking and entering" the mind. Zen isn't bound by rules or dogma. Zen is flexible, individual, an inner development. You don't need any texts, robes, equipment - only you.

People are embracing simplicity, environmental responsibility, stress management, and the quest for serenity as modes for living. More people are becoming aware enough to realise, "Hey I'm living right here right now, I see what's going on." That is Zen.

All religions claim to be a lifestyle. However, all religion's tenants are not so beneficial, IMO, or at least... as I understand them to be. Now Zen seems to have stayed more pure and untampered. It does claim strong merging with Buddhism though. Shinto claims close affiliation with Shamanism too. As I read the history of these spiritual beliefs, it doesn't seem to entail any wars in their name. The worse thing I've read, I highlighted under Shinto. So, in those regards, I can see where you say there is no correlation to our western religion. I have taken an interest in Buddhism, and really like it, yet the cultural names and context it is delivered, plus probably 'higher' concepts, calls for additional focus and concentration. :twitch: I'm sure I'd really like Zen too... if I ever make it that far. :shrug:

Maybe I'll see a topic on here from you that will further enlighten me on their philosopies and ideas. :wicked:

Is Feng Shui big in Japan? I really like those concepts.

Not anymore. Fu-sui as it is called in Japanese was a very important concept a long time ago. The capital and all the castles, Samurai houses were all once laid out according to the rules of Fu-sui. Today Japanese think it is a rather quaint old superstition with no relevance to today. I've not encountered it's practice in Japan today.

All religions claim to be a lifestyle. However, all religion's tenants are not so beneficial, IMO, or at least... as I understand them to be. Now Zen seems to have stayed more pure and untampered. It does claim strong merging with Buddhism though. Shinto claims close affiliation with Shamanism too. As I read the history of these spiritual beliefs, it doesn't seem to entail any wars in their name. The worse thing I've read, I highlighted under Shinto. So, in those regards, I can see where you say there is no correlation to our western religion. I have taken an interest in Buddhism, and really like it, yet the cultural names and context it is delivered, plus probably 'higher' concepts, calls for additional focus and concentration. :twitch: I'm sure I'd really like Zen too... if I ever make it that far. :shrug:
s.

Zen is not a merging with Buddhism. Zen is Buddhism.

Shintõ is shamanistic, yes. It has characteristics similar to American Indian beliefs.

This part -

Because Shinto has no absolute source of authority, some feel what was a natural expression of the beliefs of the people was hijacked by radical nationalists, who desired to unify the Japanese people against the "inferior" people in other nations. Others wonder if the emphasis Shinto places on Japanese exceptionalism made such developments inevitable. Even today, some far right factions within Japanese society want to see a greater emphasis placed on Shinto and increased reverence shown to the Emperor as part of a project to restore Japan to its "rightful place" as the leading nation of the world. For most Japanese, however, Shinto is not about expressing disdain for other nations but expressing one's own love of the natural landscape of Japan and the people and spirits that reside within it.

This seems to be re-written from a war-time text. This is not modern thought. Far-right factions couldn't give a hoot for the Emperor or Shintõ. People the world over are able to take religions and turn them into whatever they want to serve their own agendas.

I might add that while the Japanese conduct Shintõ rituals and ceremonies on a very regular basis, they are more inclined to be Atheist. The Shintõ rituals and ceremonies today are seen more as a simple tradition that keeps the Japanese spirit alive than an actual religious belief. I've not met very many Japanese that actually believe in kami.

If you are interested in a modern take on Shintõ, have a look at the anime Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke).

I have taken an interest in Buddhism, and really like it, yet the cultural names and context it is delivered, plus probably 'higher' concepts, calls for additional focus and concentration.

Cultural names/terms are for scholars and historians - they are not at all important. What higher concepts?

I'm sure I'd really like Zen too... if I ever make it that far.

Zen is not far. It is right with you. There is no place to go to find Zen. There is nothing to be sort after. If you search for Zen, you will not find it. Simply open your eyes and your mind. Many here on this board I can see, yourself included, are closer to Zen than you might imagine.

Maybe I'll see a topic on here from you that will further enlighten me on their philosopies and ideas

Perhaps. :HaHa:

I have taken an interest in Buddhism, and really like it, yet the cultural names and context it is delivered, plus probably 'higher' concepts, calls for additional focus and concentration.

Cultural names/terms are for scholars and historians - they are not at all important. What higher concepts?

Jun, perhaps the names are NOT important, yet I try to keep everyone's character straight, and because of the uniqueness of their names... forget it. And as for higher concepts... like one I've heard, a Buddhist came before the people, they gathered around him to receive his enlightenment. He handed someone a lotus flower, and they were all amazed.

:huh: I just didn't get it.

Another one said that in the middle of the night, one ran from one house to another. Accidentally they stepped on a pomegranet (sp?), and thought it was a mouse.

Was it a mouse or a pomegranet? :shrug:

A mouse? It is what we think it is?

Or pomegranet, many times things are NOT what we think they are?

It only asks questions, but seems to never give the answer. :fun:

Jun, perhaps the names are NOT important, yet I try to keep everyone's character straight, and because of the uniqueness of their names... forget it. And as for higher concepts... like one I've heard, a Buddhist came before the people, they gathered around him to receive his enlightenment. He handed someone a lotus flower, and they were all amazed.

Names and texts mean nothing - they are only there to get the message across. They are not important. It is not necessary to remember who is who, or who said what. That's not what Buddhism is.

The story you related is the sermon in which Zen was born. It is the wordless sermon in which Śākyamuni (the Buddha) held up a flower before the assembled disciples. No-one knew what to take of this as they always expected to be told what to do, say, think, practice and so on.

Only Mahākāśyapa understood and he smiled showing that he had understood what the Buddha was teaching. Śākyamuni acknowledged this by saying, "I possess the true Dharma eye, the marvelous mind of Nirvana, the form of the formless, the subtle Dharma gate that does not rest on words or letters but is a special transmission outside of the scriptures. This I entrust to Mahākāśyapa."

Do not rely on written words, the words of others, the teachings of old, the teachings of supernatural deities, or the word of a government or a leader. Trust only in yourself and what you are able to assertain as being true.

Did this really happen? Who knows and more importantly who cares? The historicity of the events is not the teaching. The teaching is the teaching.

The second one I have no idea about? :shrug: I believe it sounds like the man who is scared to enter his shed because he sees a snake in there. He brings a friend for help only to find it was a rope. Things are not always as they seem, and we are often quick to make judgements without looking into matters first.

It only asks questions, but seems to never give the answer.

If you want to be given answers, you are better off with a religion that insists they are right and have all the answers. :fun: I know, that is not you.

Buddhism will NEVER give you answers. YOU and YOU alone are the only one who can find the answers. The riddles and silly stories are there to teach one to THINK. Buddhism is a THINKING man's (and woman's) practice. It demands that you throw out conventional thought and teachings and search for the truth behind everything for yourself. You must be able to doubt EVERYTHING, put EVERYTHING to the test.

Questioning EVERYTHING is a required process in Buddhism (Zen Buddhism more so) for discerning what is real and true from what is false and fiction. Buddhism teaches that you must examine the world clearly and carefully and put everything to the test, even the teachings of the Buddha. How else can you know if it is true or real?

Some comics on Zen here - http://homepage.mac.com/kemlo/comiclife/

P.S. The subject of God has two pages.

Jun has itemised the fatal attraction that Buddhism has for me :)

My habit of questioning EVERYTHING to establish it's truth, even when I agree with the tenet debated, wins one few friends... :D

My habit of questioning EVERYTHING to establish it's truth, even when I agree with the tenet debated, wins one few friends... :D

Is my "shouting" catching on? :grin:

ALL CAPS IS SHOUTING... partial capitalisation is EMPHASIS... other methods

bold

*asterisk bracing*

_underscore bracing_

underscore

You netiquette gaijin... ;)

bold

*asterisk bracing*

_underscore bracing_

underscore

Oh. Thanks for the good oil. :thanks:

I have this bloody fast powerful computer, but don't 'ave a London to a brick what I'm doin' sometimes.

bold

*asterisk bracing*

_underscore bracing_

underscore

I have this bloody fast powerful computer, but don't 'ave a London to a brick what I'm doin' sometimes.

but it's still bona to vada yer, me old omi!

bold

*asterisk bracing*

_underscore bracing_

underscore

but it's still bona to vada yer, me old omi!

Good to see ya too, me larrikin mate.

That trait has got me into more trouble with people who believe I should cow-tow just cos they drive a Merc than anything else... Hell, if they were 'special' they'd not be working for the same outfit as me ;)

Buddhism will NEVER give you answers. YOU and YOU alone are the only one who can find the answers. The riddles and silly stories are there to teach one to THINK. Buddhism is a THINKING man's (and woman's) practice. It demands that you throw out conventional thought and teachings and search for the truth behind everything for yourself. You must be able to doubt EVERYTHING, put EVERYTHING to the test.

Questioning EVERYTHING is a required process in Buddhism (Zen Buddhism more so) for discerning what is real and true from what is false and fiction. Buddhism teaches that you must examine the world clearly and carefully and put everything to the test, even the teachings of the Buddha. How else can you know if it is true or real?

Some comics on Zen here - http://homepage.mac.com/kemlo/comiclife/

P.S. The subject of God has two pages.

Jun, I really love this stuff. I really enjoyed the comics, and what a great way to learn! I will surely visit that website many times and share it with my friends!

Yet, in one of those comics, they refer to 'spirit.' May I ask, what is that? It was when taking one's arrow, and aligning it with the target and their spirit. Once the arrow leaves toward the target, the spirit also goes with it... or something like that. What is spirit?

Also, the more I have learned of Buddhism in the past, it seemed to me that much of these stories attributed to the character of Jesus were based in Buddhism. Never in the way fundamentalism views it, yet in looking at these stories/fables/allegories as having a deeper meaning, for those who have an ear let them hear. Even Ghandi said he liked Christ, yet did not like our Chrsitians. As in Buddhism, the validity of these NT biblical characters are unimportant, as it is the message that must stand on its own. Consider the way 'god' is addressed. I know the story in the comic says there are no gods, however, it did not seem to deny the 'god' within us or part of us ALL. "I am." What are your ideas on that? :thanks:

Jun, I really love this stuff. I really enjoyed the comics, and what a great way to learn! I will surely visit that website many times and share it with my friends!

I'm glad you liked it. I'll put some more up when I get around to it. Share all you like. :grin:

Yet, in one of those comics, they refer to 'spirit.' May I ask, what is that? It was when taking one's arrow, and aligning it with the target and their spirit. Once the arrow leaves toward the target, the spirit also goes with it... or something like that. What is spirit?

One's energy. It's hard to translate into English - spirit was the best I could do. There is a belief in Japan that all around us is infused with an energy (ki). The energy of life, of the universe, if you will. Like the Force in Star Wars I guess. :shrug:

Also, the more I have learned of Buddhism in the past, it seemed to me that much of these stories attributed to the character of Jesus were based in Buddhism.

There is a theory that Christianity drew a lot from Buddhism.

As in Buddhism, the validity of these NT biblical characters are unimportant, as it is the message that must stand on its own.

I doubt many Christians would agree.

Consider the way 'god' is addressed. I know the story in the comic says there are no gods, however, it did not seem to deny the 'god' within us or part of us ALL. "I am." What are your ideas on that?

My honest answer - I DON'T KNOW. I do NOT believe in supernatural beings, ghosts, goblins, angels or such. I do NOT believe any of the various hundreds of "gods" that man has devised. The "god" within us all? Could that be the above mentioned ki that the Japanese refer to? The Chinese have the same belief (chi) and the Indians too (prana).

In the three cultures it simply means "breath," but it subtly implies something more. Not supernatural and not otherworldly, and certainly not a "soul."

Zen seems to deny an "I" exists at all.

Chi, Ki and Prana seems to be part of the posited 'morphogenic field'. There's a lot of pretty good work in Chinese that indicates a combination of low frequency magnetic field, long wave infra red, and ultra low frequency sound is at work in and around the human body.

Chi, Ki and Prana seems to be part of the posited 'morphogenic field'. There's a lot of pretty good work in Chinese that indicates a combination of low frequency magnetic field, long wave infra red, and ultra low frequency sound is at work in and around the human body.

That's interesting Gramps, ta!

I will relay something I witnessed in Japan back in 1995 at the Budõkan in Tõkyõ. It may be related to what you have said. Everyone can ponder it or maybe someone can offer an explanation?

It was a martial exhibition showcasing both ancient Samurai martial traditions and modern budõ forms. An old teacher (87yrs) of Aikidõ took the centre stage and explained that he would show the power of ki manifested in physical form. Now, I was very sceptical at the time as were quite a few in the audience, of this ki that the Japanese insisted was real.

The teacher stood about 5 metres from an archery target on a free-wheeling base (four wheels - like a trolly). The teacher stood there for quite a long time, while the announcer explained the nature of ki and Aikidõ and such. Honestly, nearly everyone - apart from those who practice the martial arts - thought it was going to be a put on, so many people were just chatting and discussing the previous demo. The old teacher gave a shout (kiai) that was extremely loud for such a frail looking old man and the TARGET MOVED! It moved/rolled back away from him about a half a metre. Everyone was surprised and started to applaud, but we were quickly told to be absolutely quite - as that wasn't what was supposed to happen. Huh? We all thought. An old guy had just shouted at an inanimate object and caused it to roll backwards without physically touching it!

The old teacher again prepared himself, and this time we were all told to be absolutely quiet. I remember, the audience was so quiet you could hear the hum of the audio system. This time the old teacher gave another extraordinarily loud shout, and THE TARGET ITSELF SPLIT ALMOST IN HALF! The trolley didn't move at all! There wasn't any applause this time, just gapping gaws and looks of astonishment. The old man actually appologized for not getting it right the first time! Then he just walked off with a slight bow.

We were allowed to investigate the target and the floor around it. It was just an ordinary Japanese archery target made from plywood sitting on a frame with four legs each with a small free-moving wheel. We tried looking for explosives, wires, remote squibs, but there wasn't anything that we could find.

There were hundreds of people trying to become his students after that exhibition, but he had retired from teaching. I have heard stories of martial teachers knocking birds out of trees with a shout, and I have seen teachers knock over people with a shout - but to actually split an object without touching it? I have retold this story many hundreds of times since. The Japanese, for the most part are not surprised at the story, but at my inability to believe that it was real! The non-Japanese to whom I have retold this story either tell me it was trick, that it was staged or they just outright deny it is possible.

Ki manifested through the action of a martial shout? :shrug:

There are more things... eh, Horatio?

Why is the shattering of a target with infrasound more remarkable than a newt growing it's leg back, right down to the old skin pattern?

Just because it doesn't fit the model doesn't mean it can't be, just that the model is limited... You're in Japan... Aikido is the commonest internal martial art over there... it may reward some study... if nothing else to illustrate that Haldeman was pretty much right when he posited 'The universe is not only odder than we imagine, it's odder than we can imagine'.

I'm glad you liked it. I'll put some more up when I get around to it. Share all you like. :grin:

Jun, did you produce these comics? They are really the best thing I've seen that teaches some of the foundations of Buddhism/Zen. Right now I really don't have time to read a regular book, but to read one of those every day or so... would be easy and so enjoyable and hopefully enlightening. :)

One's energy. It's hard to translate into English - spirit was the best I could do. There is a belief in Japan that all around us is infused with an energy (ki). The energy of life, of the universe, if you will. Like the Force in Star Wars I guess. :shrug:

I believe that is what the NT teachings are referencing in much the same way. There is a place within us that can reassure us that we can do more than we think we can do. Further, that this place, this energy in its pure form lets us know what is truly the best thing to do... even if we choose to ignore it. However, I believe in your comic was the concept that it follows the arrow to the target. That, in its implications is quite a profound epiphany and I had not ever thought of it like that. Then your recent post to Grandpa Harley that says a shout can be focused on one object and have an astounding impact, I'm not sure I get it. A shout alone could not break the target. Transferring chi, seems to be supernatural... however, that would be only because I don't understand it being done rationally. I can see how my energy, my intentions can effect at some level a living being, but an inanimate object?

There is a theory that Christianity drew a lot from Buddhism.

With my limited knowledge of Buddhism, it seems quite evident to me. These NT teachings claim that eventually the truth will come like lightning, from the east to the west. :wicked:

As in Buddhism, the validity of these NT biblical characters are unimportant, as it is the message that must stand on its own.

I doubt many Christians would agree.

I know, yet they do NOT study these initial teachings, but the spin, twists, and turns it has taken. Even in the book of Judas, Judas addressed some of those of that day and said that if 'Jesus' were to see how they practiced his teachings, he would laugh. It is very difficult to attribute anything positive to these teachings here, even if one were to view them from a Buddhist's perspective, because the smothering influence of the fundamentalists. This site is devoted to fundamentalist recovery, and I respect that position tremendously. Validating these teachings can cause confusion, and it is very difficult to rid the fundamentalist brainwashing that is pervasive in our culture. Heck, some of those running for president said they didn't believe in evolution! :rolleyes:

My honest answer - I DON'T KNOW. I do NOT believe in supernatural beings, ghosts, goblins, angels or such. I do NOT believe any of the various hundreds of "gods" that man has devised. The "god" within us all? Could that be the above mentioned ki that the Japanese refer to? The Chinese have the same belief (chi) and the Indians too (prana).

I think that is the same too. This 'ki', 'chi', 'prana', can it only be 'good'?

In the three cultures it simply means "breath," but it subtly implies something more. Not supernatural and not otherworldly, and certainly not a "soul."

I think it is to have the same intentions here. There is our body, made of the earth, and their is the 'breath' within us, and the two together creates a living soul. That's all.

Zen seems to deny an "I" exists at all.

Interesting! I think that this "I am" is illuding that we are NOT poor sinners at the mercy of a supernatural force, but we are part of this great force, we are it too. Further, in the NT teachings is the concept that we are all connected and the skin gives the illusion we are separate from all things, yet we are not. We are at one with nature.

It seems to me these teachings are very similar, as if to pave the way for those teachings of the east to come to the west. Hence Ghandi's remark that he did like Christ, just not our Christians. The teachings of the west seem to lack some of the depth and profoundness, as that of Buddhism/Zen... yet, one has to consider the audiences level of receptivness. There are lots of stories to provoke thinking, for those who have an ear to hear.

This Buddhist influence would also explain why the NT teachings were viewed as virtually Atheistic then, and even when Julian was emperor after Constantine.

Although, I do see lots of inclinations to the concept of reincarnation. What do you think of that? I know your comic says, when the guy asked the master where we went when we die, he said he doesn't know because he hasn't died yet. :) However, I suppose you may be inclined to think one way or the other, and I just wonder what your position of its possibility could be. :shrug:

Also, what is the Buddhist thought on forgiveness? I found in the NT a concept that I don't see in any other ancient teachings. It is that everyone is just doing the best they know how. If they would have known better, they would have done that. How can we condemn someone for not doing better than their best? Forgive them for they know not what they do. A concept called 'grace' that ended condemnation, yet still held people accountable and responsible for their actions.

I appreciate you letting me search your mind while I have the opportunity to do so of one so knowledgeable in the far east teachings.

:thanks:

Jun, did you produce these comics? They are really the best thing I've seen that teaches some of the foundations of Buddhism/Zen. Right now I really don't have time to read a regular book, but to read one of those every day or so... would be easy and so enjoyable and hopefully enlightening.

Yes, that's my ugly mug! :HaHa: I have some more coming.

However, I believe in your comic was the concept that it follows the arrow to the target. That, in its implications is quite a profound epiphany and I had not ever thought of it like that. Then your recent post to Grandpa Harley that says a shout can be focused on one object and have an astounding impact, I'm not sure I get it. A shout alone could not break the target. Transferring chi, seems to be supernatural... however, that would be only because I don't understand it being done rationally. I can see how my energy, my intentions can effect at some level a living being, but an inanimate object?

In the Japanese martial arts there is the art of kiaijutsu - the inner amassing of energy released in a single explosive focus of will. Kiaijutsu involves concentrating the use of one's ki more than it does shouting. The shout is a verbal release trigger, but kiai can also be silent. The shout itself does not carry the energy. Kiai is a projection of ones own energy that is able to influence a desired outcome upon animate and inanimate objects. I have witnessed this on hundreds of occasions since that demo. Supernatural? That would mean many of the teachers I've trained with or witnessed are then supernatural! :magic:

I think that is the same too. This 'ki', 'chi', 'prana', can it only be 'good'?

If you are asking if it could be used for "bad" things, if the intention of the person is bad............

By the way, prana is a central concept in Indian medicine and the practice of Yoga. Today, what people refer to as "Chinese medicine" (accupuncture, moxibustion meridian cleansing) originated in India.

Interesting! I think that this "I am" is illuding that we are NOT poor sinners at the mercy of a supernatural force, but we are part of this great force, we are it too. Further, in the NT teachings is the concept that we are all connected and the skin gives the illusion we are separate from all things, yet we are not. We are at one with nature.

The Buddha Dharma teaches the absence of a permanent, unchanging self (soul). The body consists of the elements and there is no self. These elements exist only by means of the union of conditions. There is no eternal and unchangeable substance in them. Entities have no fixed or independent nature. This idea is linked to dependent origination which states that because phenomena arise and continue to exist only by virtue of their relationship with other phenomena, thay have no fixed substance and have as their true nature emptiness. Nothing exists independantly, we are all a part of everything. As stated in the Hannya Shingyō - Emptiness is form, and form is emptiness.

Although, I do see lots of inclinations to the concept of reincarnation. What do you think of that?

In the NT? I don't know. Buddhists do not believe in reincarnation, so if it is there it would have been adopted from Brahmanism (Hinduism).

I know your comic says, when the guy asked the master where we went when we die, he said he doesn't know because he hasn't died yet. :) However, I suppose you may be inclined to think one way or the other, and I just wonder what your position of its possibility could be. :shrug:

Another time when the Buddha was asked about what happens after death he said, "The question does not fit the case." When we die, we die. Gone. Dead. As to my position, :shrug: - I'm not dead yet!

Also, what is the Buddhist thought on forgiveness?

The Oxford Dictionary, definition of forgiveness is "to give up, cease to harbour resentment." Buddhists do not harbour resentment or ill thoughts towards others. As Buddhists do not hold resentment against others, we have forgiven them. To forgive is to let go of feelings of hurt, to give up our grudges. Holding grudges or dwelling on feelings of hurt is not in any way beneficial. It is self-imposed suffering. When we forgive we transform a negative mental state of resentment and anger into a positive mental state of goodwill. The Buddha said, "If we hurt others we hurt ourselves. If others harm us they only harm themselves. If we help others we help ourselves." Forgiveness is a major teaching within Buddhism.

The NT teaches forgiveness. The OT does not. If you offend "God", he will take revenge - unto the third generation according to the OT. So "God" is not able to forgive, but Jesus was - yet they are the same being?!

No such thing as the supernatural, just physics we've not got yet.

Jun, I loved your posts. :wub:

I don't know any questions to ask you, so I will be left to your comic book section. They are wonderful! It would be nice it they are exposed more over here, as you make these enlightening teachings simple and fun. :thanks:

No such thing as the supernatural, just physics we've not got yet.

Grandpa Harley, I agree it is all something we haven't figured out yet... and I think there are lots of things happening that the west tends to discount because we don't have the answer to why it is happening. It seems the far east seems to take it and use it, even if they haven't got it all figured out yet.