Goodbye Jesus

The Newly Found Book Of Judas

Amanda

Jun, I loved your posts.

I don't know any questions to ask you, so I will be left to your comic book section. They are wonderful! It would be nice it they are exposed more over here, as you make these enlightening teachings simple and fun.

No such thing as the supernatural, just physics we've not got yet.

Grandpa Harley, I agree it is all something we haven't figured out yet... and I think there are lots of things happening that the west tends to discount because we don't have the answer to why it is happening. It seems the far east seems to take it and use it, even if they haven't got it all figured out yet.

:thanks:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• Amanda

• Jun

• NotBlinded

Jun, I loved your posts. :wub:

I don't know any questions to ask you, so I will be left to your comic book section. They are wonderful! It would be nice it they are exposed more over here, as you make these enlightening teachings simple and fun. :thanks:

Grandpa Harley, I agree it is all something we haven't figured out yet... and I think there are lots of things happening that the west tends to discount because we don't have the answer to why it is happening. It seems the far east seems to take it and use it, even if they haven't got it all figured out yet.

There's lots of things the West discounts because it's not in English... Hell, the British and Americans won't take French research seriously... nor Australian Clinical trials of Tea Tree oil...

I don't know any questions to ask you, so I will be left to your comic book section. They are wonderful! It would be nice it they are exposed more over here, as you make these enlightening teachings simple and fun. :thanks:

There's lots of things the West discounts because it's not in English... Hell, the British and Americans won't take French research seriously... nor Australian Clinical trials of Tea Tree oil...

Melaleuca alternifolia is good for acne and herpies, and all manner of cuts and abrasions. The Aborigines used it for centuries.

I've always wondered - as someone born DownUnder - where do people in the "West" reside? And it's "West" of where? :wicked:

Melaleuca alternifolia is good for acne and herpies, and all manner of cuts and abrasions. The Aborigines used it for centuries.

I've always wondered - as someone born DownUnder - where do people in the "West" reside? And it's "West" of where? :wicked:

As I typed, I pondered that too... inthe end I came to the conclusion 'anywhere Finlandised by the US'...

As I typed, I pondered that too... inthe end I came to the conclusion 'anywhere Finlandised by the US'...

Oh, I like that. That's not a term I would have thought to use, but it certainly is a good one in that context. :HaHa:

Chi, Ki and Prana seems to be part of the posited 'morphogenic field'. There's a lot of pretty good work in Chinese that indicates a combination of low frequency magnetic field, long wave infra red, and ultra low frequency sound is at work in and around the human body.

That's interesting Gramps, ta!

I will relay something I witnessed in Japan back in 1995 at the Budõkan in Tõkyõ. It may be related to what you have said. Everyone can ponder it or maybe someone can offer an explanation?

It was a martial exhibition showcasing both ancient Samurai martial traditions and modern budõ forms. An old teacher (87yrs) of Aikidõ took the centre stage and explained that he would show the power of ki manifested in physical form. Now, I was very sceptical at the time as were quite a few in the audience, of this ki that the Japanese insisted was real.

The teacher stood about 5 metres from an archery target on a free-wheeling base (four wheels - like a trolly). The teacher stood there for quite a long time, while the announcer explained the nature of ki and Aikidõ and such. Honestly, nearly everyone - apart from those who practice the martial arts - thought it was going to be a put on, so many people were just chatting and discussing the previous demo. The old teacher gave a shout (kiai) that was extremely loud for such a frail looking old man and the TARGET MOVED! It moved/rolled back away from him about a half a metre. Everyone was surprised and started to applaud, but we were quickly told to be absolutely quite - as that wasn't what was supposed to happen. Huh? We all thought. An old guy had just shouted at an inanimate object and caused it to roll backwards without physically touching it!

The old teacher again prepared himself, and this time we were all told to be absolutely quiet. I remember, the audience was so quiet you could hear the hum of the audio system. This time the old teacher gave another extraordinarily loud shout, and THE TARGET ITSELF SPLIT ALMOST IN HALF! The trolley didn't move at all! There wasn't any applause this time, just gapping gaws and looks of astonishment. The old man actually appologized for not getting it right the first time! Then he just walked off with a slight bow.

We were allowed to investigate the target and the floor around it. It was just an ordinary Japanese archery target made from plywood sitting on a frame with four legs each with a small free-moving wheel. We tried looking for explosives, wires, remote squibs, but there wasn't anything that we could find.

There were hundreds of people trying to become his students after that exhibition, but he had retired from teaching. I have heard stories of martial teachers knocking birds out of trees with a shout, and I have seen teachers knock over people with a shout - but to actually split an object without touching it? I have retold this story many hundreds of times since. The Japanese, for the most part are not surprised at the story, but at my inability to believe that it was real! The non-Japanese to whom I have retold this story either tell me it was trick, that it was staged or they just outright deny it is possible.

Ki manifested through the action of a martial shout? :shrug:

I have seen that on TV before and the people were falling left and right.

This is what gives people the impression of "supernatural" elements. I find it so awe inspiring that this is compeletly natural!

I think the people that claim anything is supernatural are also in this same awe and have no other way to explain it than to claim it is supernatural. This, IMO, is a mistake. It's the same mistake that happens in many religions and with many skeptics. The religious claim that it must be a supernatural God and the skeptics dismiss the entire event because the supernatual doesn't exist. What is being missed by both is the concept that it is compeletly natural.

The Buddha Dharma teaches the absence of a permanent, unchanging self (soul). The body consists of the elements and there is no self. These elements exist only by means of the union of conditions. There is no eternal and unchangeable substance in them. Entities have no fixed or independent nature. This idea is linked to dependent origination which states that because phenomena arise and continue to exist only by virtue of their relationship with other phenomena, thay have no fixed substance and have as their true nature emptiness. Nothing exists independantly, we are all a part of everything. As stated in the Hannya Shingyō - Emptiness is form, and form is emptiness.

Ohhhh...I love this stuff! :woohoo:

This is where religion tries to take what is always in motion and claim some sort of permanence to it. The funny thing is is that it is always at some future date. "God is unchanging" and we will have a permanent residence in some future place (after death of course). :HaHa: This leads to a crisis of always looking for permanence where it can't be found. The only way to truly be free of insecurity is to accept it. Otherwise the present moment is always regarded as a means to an end.

Science does this too (they have to) in any endeavor because they are studying things in comparison with other things, in units of measure and so forth. Language is applied to things in order to differentiate, but the thing itself has no meaning other than what is given to it. The tree has no meaning in and of itself, but it is the meaning of the word tree. I think it is the same with everything.

It's not possible to describe the action of an organism outside of it's environment. There are no separate entities in reality. Alan Watts asks the question, "Are we leaves on a tree, or are we birds that settled on some dead tree?" We didn't just land here from somewhere else on a dead planet. We are part of a living system.

Yes, my thoughts are all over the place! It's Monday afterall...

The story you related is the sermon in which Zen was born. It is the wordless sermon in which Śākyamuni (the Buddha) held up a flower before the assembled disciples. No-one knew what to take of this as they always expected to be told what to do, say, think, practice and so on.

Only Mahākāśyapa understood and he smiled showing that he had understood what the Buddha was teaching. Śākyamuni acknowledged this by saying, "I possess the true Dharma eye, the marvelous mind of Nirvana, the form of the formless, the subtle Dharma gate that does not rest on words or letters but is a special transmission outside of the scriptures. This I entrust to Mahākāśyapa."

I have heard this teaching compared with the teaching of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount with regards to the lillies of the field.

Can it be compared to Zen saying, (parapharse) "A man that understands Zen in the morning can die fulfilled at night."?

This is the "narrow gate". :)

It is any wonder the religious never understand?

The eternal isn't everlasting, it is the everpresent.

The story you related is the sermon in which Zen was born. It is the wordless sermon in which ÅšÄkyamuni (the Buddha) held up a flower before the assembled disciples. No-one knew what to take of this as they always expected to be told what to do, say, think, practice and so on.

Only MahÄkÄÅ›yapa understood and he smiled showing that he had understood what the Buddha was teaching. ÅšÄkyamuni acknowledged this by saying, "I possess the true Dharma eye, the marvelous mind of Nirvana, the form of the formless, the subtle Dharma gate that does not rest on words or letters but is a special transmission outside of the scriptures. This I entrust to MahÄkÄÅ›yapa."

I have heard this teaching compared with the teaching of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount with regards to the lillies of the field.

Can it be compared to Zen saying, (parapharse) "A man that understands Zen in the morning can die fulfilled at night."?

For a better insight into the Beatitudes I'd recommend 'Prayer of the Cosmos' by Neil Douglas-Klotz...

The story you related is the sermon in which Zen was born. It is the wordless sermon in which Śākyamuni (the Buddha) held up a flower before the assembled disciples. No-one knew what to take of this as they always expected to be told what to do, say, think, practice and so on.

Only Mahākāśyapa understood and he smiled showing that he had understood what the Buddha was teaching. Śākyamuni acknowledged this by saying, "I possess the true Dharma eye, the marvelous mind of Nirvana, the form of the formless, the subtle Dharma gate that does not rest on words or letters but is a special transmission outside of the scriptures. This I entrust to Mahākāśyapa."

For a better insight into the Beatitudes I'd recommend 'Prayer of the Cosmos' by Neil Douglas-Klotz...

Actually, I received that book a couple of weeks ago and have read it. I will read it again though. I wish it was longer!

Thank you! I look at anything you recommend GH.

The story you related is the sermon in which Zen was born. It is the wordless sermon in which ÅšÄkyamuni (the Buddha) held up a flower before the assembled disciples. No-one knew what to take of this as they always expected to be told what to do, say, think, practice and so on.

Only MahÄkÄÅ›yapa understood and he smiled showing that he had understood what the Buddha was teaching. ÅšÄkyamuni acknowledged this by saying, "I possess the true Dharma eye, the marvelous mind of Nirvana, the form of the formless, the subtle Dharma gate that does not rest on words or letters but is a special transmission outside of the scriptures. This I entrust to MahÄkÄÅ›yapa."

That's not a Zen saying, it's a Chinese proverb about the Tao - "A man who understands the Tao in the morning, may die with content in the evening."

What is the "narrow gate?"

There is no everlasting. And the plates must be washed.

That's not a Zen saying, it's a Chinese proverb about the Tao - "A man who understands the Tao in the morning, may die with content in the evening."

Jesus is the narrow gate... and many are called but few are chosen.... et cetera, ad nauseam...

Thanks Gramps! :grin:

Dang it! Yes...that's the one!

The narrow gate is the gate that Jesus mentions. A rich man can't enter because he is too tied up in things of the past and future. Neither can the religious.

Indeed there is no everlasting.

Don't forget the inside of the cups! :HaHa:

Jesus is the narrow gate... and many are called but few are chosen.... et cetera, ad nauseam...

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Matthew 7:13-14

I was taking this and comparing it to the Dharma gate that Jun mentioned.

Does is sicken you because you see Jesus as the gate? There was no "I" in Jesus either. :shrug: The damn religious have taken this to mean that we are to glorify Jesus and not ourselves. They are not understanding and enter the road of destruction. They switch their identity to that of Jesus'. There is nothing occuring there other than a new "I" assimilation.

If this can be understood, the teachings seem to be similar.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Does is sicken you because you see Jesus as the gate? There was no "I" in Jesus either. :shrug: The damn religious have taken this to mean that we are to glorify Jesus and not ourselves. They are not understanding and enter the road of destruction. They switch their identity to that of Jesus'. There is nothing occuring there other than a new "I" assimilation.

Interesting, I shall ponder that, but now it's off to bed as it's 2.40AM :scratch:

Does is sicken you because you see Jesus as the gate? There was no "I" in Jesus either. :shrug: The damn religious have taken this to mean that we are to glorify Jesus and not ourselves. They are not understanding and enter the road of destruction. They switch their identity to that of Jesus'. There is nothing occurring there other than a new "I" assimilation.

No, more becuase it's an interpolation to justify most of the more hideous acts of Christians down the ages. That, John 3:16 and 'I am the way, the truth and the light'

In terms of late syncretism, comparing Jesus' theist stance with Buddhist thought isn't really a flyer. Having said that, there were still buddhist missionaries in Constantinople and as far into the Empire as Rome as late as 600AD... Islam closed that down.

Does is sicken you because you see Jesus as the gate? There was no "I" in Jesus either. :shrug: The damn religious have taken this to mean that we are to glorify Jesus and not ourselves. They are not understanding and enter the road of destruction. They switch their identity to that of Jesus'. There is nothing occurring there other than a new "I" assimilation.

No, more becuase it's an interpolation to justify most of the more hideous acts of Christians down the ages. That, John 3:16 and 'I am the way, the truth and the light'

In terms of late syncretism, comparing Jesus' theist stance with Buddhist thought isn't really a flyer. Having said that, there were still buddhist missionaries in Constantinople and as far into the Empire as Rome as late as 600AD... Islam closed that down.

As I said...the damn religious!

I do feel it is a flyer, GH.

There are just too many sayings that affect me profoundly in both for me to ignore. :shrug: They bring to me the same understanding.

And Jun...have a good rest.

There are just too many sayings that affect me profoundly in both for me to ignore. :shrug: They bring to me the same understanding.

In terms of early syncretist thought, it flies. in terms of late (post-Nicea doctrine) it's comparing lead with calcium... they're both metals (religions) but there the resemblance ends... Shoehorning theologies isn't really a good idea in public.

There was no "I" in Jesus either. :shrug: The damn religious have taken this to mean that we are to glorify Jesus and not ourselves. They are not understanding and enter the road of destruction. They switch their identity to that of Jesus'. There is nothing occuring there other than a new "I" assimilation.

Apparently they've never spelled jesus in Greek (Iesous or thereabouts...anyhow the first letter is "I"). :P

And the letter "J" didn't come around until something like 1500. Jesus with "I" everywhere I tells ya.

mwc

There was no "I" in Jesus either. :shrug: The damn religious have taken this to mean that we are to glorify Jesus and not ourselves. They are not understanding and enter the road of destruction. They switch their identity to that of Jesus'. There is nothing occuring there other than a new "I" assimilation.

Apparently they've never spelled jesus in Greek (Iesous or thereabouts...anyhow the first letter is "I"). :P

mwc

:lmao:

I luv ya mwc!

In terms of early syncretist thought, it flies. in terms of late (post-Nicea doctrine) it's comparing lead with calcium... they're both metals (religions) but there the resemblance ends... Shoehorning theologies isn't really a good idea in public.

I can live with that.

As I said, the damn religious! :HaHa: Notice Jun's signature.

And I will shoehorn if the shoe fits!

This site http://buddhistfaith.tripod.com/gospel/ says:

In 1945, in an Egyptian cave near desert town of Nag Hammadi, 52 papyrus texts were discovered, some dating from the beginning of the Christian era, revealing a Jesus who teaching akin to a Shin myokonin, a Zen Master, or even Shakyamuni Buddha himself. Lost for 1,600 years, these are known as the Gnostic Gospels, from the Greek word "gnosis"...meaning "to know"...’to know oneself,” that is to have an insight into and awakened to oneself in an intuitive and non-dualistic sense.

Exploring the Gospel of Thomas, we discover that Jesus believed the self and the divine to be identical and one. Furthermore, the Kingdom of Heaven is not in the future but is “right here.” and one only needs to be awakened to this perfection. Jesus, in this gospel, speaks of enlightenment, the same type that is taught by Shakyamuni Buddha, Shin teachers and Zen Masters.

In 1945, in an Egyptian cave near desert town of Nag Hammadi, 52 papyrus texts were discovered, some dating from the beginning of the Christian era, revealing a Jesus who teaching akin to a Shin myokonin, a Zen Master, or even Shakyamuni Buddha himself. Lost for 1,600 years, these are known as the Gnostic Gospels, from the Greek word "gnosis"...meaning "to know"...’to know oneself,” that is to have an insight into and awakened to oneself in an intuitive and non-dualistic sense.

Exploring the Gospel of Thomas, we discover that Jesus believed the self and the divine to be identical and one. Furthermore, the Kingdom of Heaven is not in the future but is “right here.” and one only needs to be awakened to this perfection. Jesus, in this gospel, speaks of enlightenment, the same type that is taught by Shakyamuni Buddha, Shin teachers and Zen Masters.

It's an interpretation, and a slightly strained one... There are similarities between Buddhist and Gnostic thought since both place an emphasis on individual validation and exploration and a distrust of what is 'reality'. There the resemblance ends. The under pinning of Gnostic (Mystic) Judaism, Gnostic Christianity and Sufi Islam is theist. It's trying to find the 'God within'... Buddhism, in it's base form, has no use for a deity. The Gnostic immanent and transcendent Theism is more Hindu than Buddhist

Jun?

In 1945, in an Egyptian cave near desert town of Nag Hammadi, 52 papyrus texts were discovered, some dating from the beginning of the Christian era, revealing a Jesus who teaching akin to a Shin myokonin, a Zen Master, or even Shakyamuni Buddha himself. Lost for 1,600 years, these are known as the Gnostic Gospels, from the Greek word "gnosis"...meaning "to know"...'to know oneself," that is to have an insight into and awakened to oneself in an intuitive and non-dualistic sense.

Exploring the Gospel of Thomas, we discover that Jesus believed the self and the divine to be identical and one. Furthermore, the Kingdom of Heaven is not in the future but is "right here." and one only needs to be awakened to this perfection. Jesus, in this gospel, speaks of enlightenment, the same type that is taught by Shakyamuni Buddha, Shin teachers and Zen Masters.

".......akin to a Shin myokonin, a Zen Master, or even Shakyamuni Buddha himself" - The problem is that here we have two VERY DIFFERENT teachings presented as if they were one! Sakyamuni's (the Buddha) teachings and the teachings of Zen can in NO WAY be compared to Shin Buddhism (Shin myokonin).

The Shin Buddhist believes that Buddha is a god and resides in a heaven (the Pure Land). Shin Buddhism teaches that one must NOT RELY UPON ONE'S OWN POWER, but upon the power of the Buddha (as a god) to save one. This is achieved through PRAYING to the Buddha and chanting the nembutsu - "Namu Amida Butsu" - Praise Be To Buddha.

Pure land Buddhism is the biggest bane of Buddhism. It turns around the teachings of the Buddha and is responsible for all the religious, pray to a god rubbish that people come to think Buddhism is about.

Shin Buddhism is the teachings of Christianity grafted onto the teachings of the Buddha. This occured in Southern India and Western China around the first century - at the same time we find early Assyrian Christian influence in China.

".........to have an insight into and awakened to oneself in an intuitive and non-dualistic sense." - Between the 4th century BCE and the 5th century CE we have the Greco-Buddhist influence, the Helenistic-Buddhist syncretism that influenced the artistic and notional development of Buddhism.

From Wiki -

In 326 Alexander invaded India. King Ambhi, ruler of Taxila, surrendered his city, a notable center of Buddhist faith, to Alexander. Alexander fought an epic battle against Porus, a ruler of a region in the Punjab in the Battle of Hydaspes in (326 BC).

Several philosophers, such as Pyrrho, Anaxarchus and Onesicritus, are said to have been selected by Alexander to accompany him in his eastern campaigns. During the 18 months they were in India, they were able to interact with Indian religious men, generally described as Gymnosophists ("naked philosophers"). Pyrrho (360-270 BCE), returned to Greece and became the first Skeptic and the founder of the school named Pyrrhonism. The Greek biographer Diogenes Laertius explained that Pyrrho's equanimity and detachment from the world were acquired in India.[1] Few of his sayings are directly known, but they are clearly reminiscent of eastern, possibly Buddhist, thought:

"Nothing really exists, but human life is governed by convention""Nothing is in itself more this than that" (Diogenes Laertius IX.61) Another of these philosophers, Onesicritus, a Cynic, is said by Strabo to have learnt in India the following precepts:

"That nothing that happens to a man is bad or good, opinions being merely dreams""That the best philosophy [is] that which liberates the mind from [both] pleasure and grief" (Strabo, XV.I.65[2]) These contacts initiated the first direct interactions between Greek culture and Indian religions, which were to continue and expand for several more centuries.

"Jesus, in this gospel, speaks of enlightenment, the same type that is taught by Shakyamuni Buddha, Shin teachers and Zen Masters." - Shin Buddhists do not seek enlightenment, they seek to be "reborn" in the "Pure land." The author clearly has no experience in the practice of Buddhism.

It's an interpretation, and a slightly strained one... There are similarities between Buddhist and Gnostic thought since both place an emphasis on individual validation and exploration and a distrust of what is 'reality'. There the resemblance ends. The under pinning of Gnostic (Mystic) Judaism, Gnostic Christianity and Sufi Islam is theist. It's trying to find the 'God within'... Buddhism, in it's base form, has no use for a deity. The Gnostic immanent and transcendent Theism is more Hindu than Buddhist

Agreed