Goodbye Jesus

Xianity Doctrines

Deva

The Trinity. (seriously... I think Christians are horrid at fractions)

The whole "orginal sin" thing. (because we all know little babies are sinful, sinful beings who would gladly cause genocides or nuclear wars! What evil monsters!)

also the fact that I am just as bad as a murderer, when I am not a murderer, nor was I when I was a Christian. (Oh wait... we're all equal [meaning filthy pieces of crap] in God's eyes!)

The "fact" that we're all sinners just because Adam and Eve sinned and that humanity as a whole is screwed. (Mass punishment of the innocent FTW!)

That all non-Christians are going to hell. (Sucks for them non-believers, eh?)

That bad things happen as part of God's plan or because god is testing you. (Just tell someone who fought in Iraq that, they'll accept it!)

The one I did accept was that when I died, I would be judged by all these petty sins. It was awful. I'd be 13 or 14 wondering if I'd go to hell. No 13 or 14 year old should think about that sort of thing, it's really, really morbid. That's what Christianity is. Morbid and damning. If you don't feel guilty for every little sin, like calling your sister a rude name or tellign your best friend she doesn't look fat in that shirt when she does, or arguing with your parents, that's stuff I've done and while I regret doing that it's awful that I once thought I was goign to hell for it.

Also, once I started really listening in church, some of what the preacher was saying smacked of brainwashing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deva

• Grandpa Harley

• R. S. Martin

• GraphicsGuy

Guest worthynow

The trinity was so hard to grasp.

The whole Genesis story.

The age of accountablity. I mean that was never in the bible. Christians just assumed that at a certian age you should understand God and be saved or else straight for the pit if you die like around 11 or 12 years old.

How by just adam and eve we were cursed! I mean a baby is born into sin. Generations of being cursed. I mean hello. It is not are fault we were born. :vent:

The flood story was hard to grasp even as a child.

The whole debate about once saved always saved. Christians will never agree on this one!

The rapture and the second coming. There was lots of confusion with those teachings and the verses.

Revelations!

That is just a few. I know I have a ton more.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BaylorBear

I never had trouble with any doctrines growing up. I was raised in a moderate Sou. Baptist home, and no, my church did not teach the pre-trib Rapture. Later in life I nearly converted to the RCC. Perhaps it is because of my Baptist background (I was brought up to believe that communion was a symbolic meal), but I could never believe in transubstantiation, therefore I didn't join. However, I can believe in a "Real Presence" because that is such a vague term that it could mean just about anything, and eventually became a Methodist. Let's not get into the RC version of Mary.

For me, it was the concept of an all good god who created evil to serve his greater "plan."

So, God created the devil so he could take over people's minds and cause them to molest and kill innocent little babies and other such atrocities? I'll have no part of a God like that, thank you very much!

For me, it was the concept of an all good god who created evil to serve his greater "plan."

So, God created the devil so he could take over people's minds and cause them to molest and kill innocent little babies and other such atrocities? I'll have no part of a God like that, thank you very much!

Yeah, not me either. Drop kick that kind of god out the back door of your consciousness. Instead of "Drop kick me Jesus over the goal posts of life."

I can still remember being in Sunday School as a small child and hearing the story of Noah and the Flood. I expected Alan Funt* to jump out of a closet and scream “Smile. You’re on Candid Camera” any second.

*Alan Funt was on a very successful television show in the late 50s and 1960s. It was called “Candid Camera” and the premise of the show was to set people up to look like fools and broadcast it to the nation.

My oldest two sons - who are both excellent musicians have a party piece (not for the eyes of some friends and relatives) in which they play 'Seth and Meshack - the christian worship leaders' ... it is so funny and having endured a lot of these performances in their early teens they have to a T.

I would love to see that on YouTube! :HaHa:

The Church was really full beacuse there was a christening - the child of a couple who last stepped inside the church on their wedding day. In an attempt to make the service 'fun' the vicar decided that during one of the hymns we should stay seated until the word 'water' was sung - then we should stand but we should sit back down again the next time the word cropped up ... and so on. I think it appeared about a dozen times in the chorus alone. The image of the mostly confused/embarrassed/appalled congregation standing up and sitting down again repeatedly, whilst the half a dozen regulars grinned and laughed as if it was the best thing they have participated in for years - still haunts me.

Oh wow, I haven't ever experienced something like that. That would be very uncomfortable for people coming just for a christening.