Goodbye Jesus

Question For Christians About Biblical Inerrancy

Neon Genesis

'rayskidude' post='460492' date='Jun 12 2009, 11:53 AM' Why would (or How could) an infinitely holy God who is all-wise and all-powerful create a world with the abundant evil that exists - what ultimate good could come from this?

Since you asked, its all NONSENSE."

I know! I know!...."[Evil] is an example of the life of misery lived within....oops!- outside of god's will." Deliverance from sin is the ultimate good!

How could you expect any of us to answer that with a straight face?

Allow me to submit a short list of characteristics and attributes that are present along with evil, sin, suffering, etc

Forgivness of sin

Repentance from sin

Restitution for sin

Reconciliation of enemies

Restoration - of many things

Perseverance thru trials

Courage in battle, calamity

Compassion & aid for the suffering

Cooperation to alleviate suffering

Grace

Mercy

Redemption

Salvation, Deliverance from misery

2nd chance

Resurrection - life from death

Submission rejected as of 06/26/2009-The Management :nono:

• 2 weeks later...
Forgivness of sin

Repentance from sin

Restitution for sin

Sin is defined as something that offends god. Perhaps this makes your god seem nice to you. To me it sounds like the dictionary definition of a protection racket.

Yeah because Christianity has such a great track record with this one.

Things? What things? This is to vague to be useful...seems like you were just trying to make your list longer. I'm supprised you didn't stick a recipe for chocolate cake in here somewhere.

Perseverance thru trials

People don't need god or religion for these.

Grace

Mercy

Redemption

Christianese, your religion has a strange way of defining these words.

Lots of people, christian or not, do not get this. If you don't want to be miserable do it yourself, don't count on others to do it for you.

2nd chance

bald assertion, I've never seen any evidence that people rise from the dead so I don't think it is very likely.

I'm not sure it would be a good thing if they did anyway. Ever heard the term "zombie apocalypse" :grin:

Not at all - God has often instructed people - and even warned them - that they will live with the consequences of their own actions. Difficult and grievous consequences can result from stupidity, inattention, inadvertant sin, high-handed sin, etc >> or joyous & blessed consequences can result from diligent oberdience, repentance from sin, loving acts towards God and/or others, etc. And God can & does use even things such as injustice, poverty, & mistreatment as difficult consequences that people would learn wise behavior. This is not a relativistic justification of evil, but an acknowledgment that God can use even evil to accomplish His holy purposes - esp of drawing people to Himself.

Note what Solomon says;

So, you admit slavery is evil and there's no such thing as "godly slavery" and you fully admit God commanded Christians to do something evil and thus your god is evil. Here's a grand idea! Why didn't God abolish slavery instead of using something you admit God thinks is evil to do good? Are you on any drugs?

• 3 weeks later...

So, you admit slavery is evil and there's no such thing as "godly slavery" and you fully admit God commanded Christians to do something evil and thus your god is evil.

Where, O where have I ever said that God has instucted Christians to do something evil? What evil?

Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?

Rom 6:2 By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?

Rom 6:3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

Rom 6:4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

Rom 6:5 For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we shall certainly be united with him in a resurrection like his.

Rom 6:6 We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin.

Rom 6:7 For one who has died has been set free from sin.

Here's a grand idea! Why didn't God abolish slavery instead of using something you admit God thinks is evil to do good? Are you on any drugs?

Please note that God can & does use all things - even evil - to accomplish His purposes. It is a testimony to His power that God's ways are not thwarted by evil, but that God takes whatever Satan and all others would use to obstruct God's will >> and He turns it right around to accomplish His original plan!! God will one day bring all His people to heaven where He will abolish all sin, sorrow, crying, mourning, pain, & death. Be patient.

And there's nothing anyone can do to thwart God purposes; despite whatever protestations they may offer. Any 'supposed' victory of evil is only a Pyrric victory; God will acomplish all His plan in His timing, by His ways, in His grace, for His glory.

Forgivness of sin

Repentance from sin

Restitution for sin

Sin is defined as something that offends god. Perhaps this makes your god seem nice to you. To me it sounds like the dictionary definition of a protection racket.

Are you saying you've never committed any sin for which you should seek forgiveness and offer restitution?

Things? What things? This is to vague to be useful...seems like you were just trying to make your list longer.

I was trying to stimulate your thoughts - are you incapable of thinking about what has & can be restored? How about broken lives? Broken relationships? The Earth to its prevous Edenic condition? Our reconciliation to God?

Perseverance thru trials

People don't need god or religion for these.

I was not answering that question - stay current or stay out of the conversation, please.

Grace

Mercy

Redemption

Christianese, your religion has a strange way of defining these words.

Really? How so? Your answer is awfully vague. In fact, too vague to be useful.

Lots of people, christian or not, do not get this. If you don't want to be miserable do it yourself, don't count on others to do it for you.

Lots of people don't seek God for these things - which He is gracious to provide. Do you say that you're capable of delivering yourself out of every state of misery that you could be in >> prison, cancer, loss of loved ones, war, etc? Wow - what do you eat for breakfast?

2nd chance

bald assertion, I've never seen any evidence that people rise from the dead so I don't think it is very likely.

Wow again! - so you're cognizant of all of human history over all the planet fro all time? And if you haven't seen it it hasn't happened or doesn't exist? Hey you're like the Dos Eqquis guy - what do you use for after shave? Or do you shave?

Allow me to submit a short list of characteristics and attributes that are present along with evil, sin, suffering, etc

Forgivness of sin

Repentance from sin

Restitution for sin

Perseverance thru trials

Grace

Mercy

Redemption

2nd chance

Sorry, no proof of the resurrection. Other than that, these are human qualities. The words "salvation" "grace" "mercy" and "redemption" I think do not exist in the same way you would say they do. They are mainly Christian concepts and unreal. No such thing as "sin" so nix the first three.

Please note that God can & does use all things - even evil - to accomplish His purposes. It is a testimony to His power that God's ways are not thwarted by evil, but that God takes whatever Satan and all others would use to obstruct God's will >> and He turns it right around to accomplish His original plan!!

So, god allows and uses the crimes of a serial killer, rapist, torturer,etc. to accomplish what purpose? He allows millions of years of suffering for animals...for what purpose? What original plan? To not allow suffering? That's the original plan?

And there's nothing anyone can do to thwart God purposes; despite whatever protestations they may offer. Any 'supposed' victory of evil is only a Pyrric victory; God will acomplish all His plan in His timing, by His ways, in His grace, for His glory.

If you believe this, why are you here arguing with exbelievers?

Are you saying you've never committed any sin for which you should seek forgiveness and offer restitution?[/quote

I am saying that there is no such thing as sin, I cannot offend non-existent beings. I would need to believe in god, to believe in sin.

I was trying to stimulate your thoughts - are you incapable of thinking about what has & can be restored? How about broken lives? Broken relationships? The Earth to its prevous Edenic condition? Our reconciliation to God?

Stimulate my thoughts? I have never seen any evidence of this so called reconciliation you speak of.

I was not answering that question - stay current or stay out of the conversation, please.

Sorry, bub, you do not get to tell me what to do. I fail to see how my answer was not pertinent.

Really? How so? Your answer is awfully vague. In fact, too vague to be useful.

Ok, let me be more specific smart ass. Calling a god who uses blood sacrifices as a system for atonement, and burns people for eternity in hell "merciful" is just plain stupid. Is that direct enough for ya?

Lots of people don't seek God for these things - which He is gracious to provide. Do you say that you're capable of delivering yourself out of every state of misery that you could be in >> prison, cancer, loss of loved ones, war, etc? Wow - what do you eat for breakfast?

Strawman. No, I can't, I can be responsible for my state of mind in those situations. In any case, my point was that lots of people DO ask god for deliverance from things, and do not get it. I often did in my own life as a Christian, Yet my life got better when I stopped expecting deliverance from a magic man, and started working to make my life better on my own.

Wow again! - so you're cognizant of all of human history over all the planet fro all time? And if you haven't seen it it hasn't happened or doesn't exist? Hey you're like the Dos Eqquis guy - what do you use for after shave? Or do you shave?

Another srawman, I did not claim to have exhaustive knowledge, just that I do not currently know of any evidence to support these claims, so until I do, I will remains skeptical of them.

SERIOUSLY do you believe in everything you have not proven with 100% certainty to be false? Of course not, stop saying such stupid things, you are not this dumb. At least I hope you aren't

So, god allows and uses the crimes of a serial killer, rapist, torturer,etc. to accomplish what purpose? He allows millions of years of suffering for animals...for what purpose? What original plan? To not allow suffering? That's the original plan?

To completely resurrect & restore - and even improve - an originally perfect universe which has been thoroughly ruined by the sins of created beings who rebelled against their Creator and chose to establish their own ways.

Rev 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

Rev 21:2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.

Rev 21:4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."

Rev 21:5 And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

Rev 21:6 And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment.

Rev 21:7 The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.

Rev 21:22 And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.

Rev 21:23 And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb.

Rev 21:24 By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it,

Rev 21:25 and its gates will never be shut by day--and there will be no night there.

Rev 21:26 They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations.

Rev 21:27 But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.

That they would be restored and reconciled to God.

I am saying that there is no such thing as sin, I cannot offend non-existent beings. I would need to believe in god, to believe in sin.

Have you never sinned against a fellow human being?

I have never seen any evidence of this so called reconciliation you speak of.

I've seen dozens of people experience this reconciliation, myself included - to God and others. This would be true of any Christian

Ok, let me be more specific smart ass. Calling a god who uses blood sacrifices as a system for atonement, and burns people for eternity in hell "merciful" is just plain stupid. Is that direct enough for ya?

God is infinitely holy - and death is a just judgement for any rebellion against Him. Yet He provides this death on our behalf - in the ministry of the Second Person of the Trinity becoming God Incarnate and dying in our place. The salvation of God is available to any & all who would trust in the Person & ministry of Jesus Christ and call upon Him for mercy & grace. Note the tax collector in the synagogue.

Those who choose to remain in their rebellion have chosen their own eternity.

my point was that lots of people DO ask god for deliverance from things, and do not get it. I often did in my own life as a Christian, Yet my life got better when I stopped expecting deliverance from a magic man, and started working to make my life better on my own.

All believers are ultimately delivered from our worst state - eternal condemnation. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain - this should be the attitude of all believers; so we don't treasure this life above our future life in heaven. And therefore, we can live now with an eternal perspective - making decision that make sence for eternity - not for temporary, worldly gain.

If you were trying to live the Christian life from "Let go and let God" perspective, then that would not be endorsed by Scripture. Scripture endorses hard work.

1Co 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.

2Ti 4:6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.

2Ti 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

Luk 14:27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

Luk 14:28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?

Luk 14:29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him,

Luk 14:30 saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.'

Luk 14:31 Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand?

Luk 14:32 And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace.

Luk 14:33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

SERIOUSLY do you believe in everything you have not proven with 100% certainty to be false? Of course not, stop saying such stupid things, you are not this dumb. At least I hope you aren't

I hope that I am always open to learning and being corrected - there's no profit in believing and living in accordance with that which is false.

To completely resurrect & restore - and even improve - an originally perfect universe which has been thoroughly ruined by the sins of created beings who rebelled against their Creator and chose to establish their own ways.

So your god couldn't get it right the first time...if you believe in divinely-gifted freewill, it could happen all over yet again. Then your god would kill children and animals while allowing criminals to rape, torture, and murder.

That they would be restored and reconciled to God.

I don't think you, or any christian, is that important. Your god could do this by himself.

The universe was never perfect...nothing is perfect. If you would accept the world and universe as it is, you could use your energy and intellect for improving the world rather than dividing it into sheep/goats and us/them.

All believers are ultimately delivered from our worst state - eternal condemnation. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain - this should be the attitude of all believers; so we don't treasure this life above our future life in heaven. And therefore, we can live now with an eternal perspective - making decision that make sence for eternity - not for temporary, worldly gain.

Honestly, what are you going to do in heaven? Sing praises for eternity? Is God's ego so large that he needs to be reminded over and over about how great he is? What about movies, dramas, plays, books, etc? There can be no bad guy so how interesing will that be?

Really, what do you see heaven as being like?

I asked myself that very same question as a Christian, and I couldn't come up with any good answer. What makes living interesting is to overcome challenges and having experiences. But experiences are both good and bad, so a Heaven without bad would be a Heaven without any experience.

I asked myself that very same question as a Christian, and I couldn't come up with any good answer. What makes living interesting is to overcome challenges and having experiences. But experiences are both good and bad, so a Heaven without bad would be a Heaven without any experience.

And you know, that leads me to another question. What on earth was the reason for God to create mankind if all he was going to be around for eternity was perfection? Was this a sadistic plan? It seems to serve no purpose other than his sick entertainment and pleasure. I mean, would people that were put through hell on earth be any more serving than a perfectly created heavenly being? Would God be more pleased with a person that was tortured so much that his praises would be more geniune? What difference does it make to God other than to feed his God-sized ego...

If people would actually think about what having complete power actually means, maybe their ideas might change. Somewhere in Buddhism, I believe, there is a notion that seeking pleasure to the extreme will lead to pain equating to pleasure. The Romans had such power that they could have anything they wanted and their desire for pleasure ended up with them causing pain in order so they could experience some sort of pleasure they never had before. Many slave girls were lion kibble. This is the Buddhist hell if I'm not mistaken.

Did someone say slave girls? Mmmm...

princess-leia.jpg

Honestly, what are you going to do in heaven? Sing praises for eternity? Is God's ego so large that he needs to be reminded over and over about how great he is? What about movies, dramas, plays, books, etc? There can be no bad guy so how interesing will that be? Really, what do you see heaven as being like?

I recommend you read the book Heaven by Randy Alcorn for some thoughts on this. But I definitely believe that we will have a myriad of meaningful pursuits in heaven. We'll be constantly amazed by what we're learning about God and His Creation - and we'll take that learning and accomplish some significant goals in areas such as art, music, engineering design, literature, social interactions, etc - many of the good things that exist today - yet conducted in a sinless environment.

Did someone say slave girls? Mmmm...

Legion the Lion. Has a nice ring to it...

lion2.jpg

:D

Honestly, what are you going to do in heaven? Sing praises for eternity? Is God's ego so large that he needs to be reminded over and over about how great he is? What about movies, dramas, plays, books, etc? There can be no bad guy so how interesing will that be? Really, what do you see heaven as being like?

I recommend you read the book Heaven by Randy Alcorn for some thoughts on this. But I definitely believe that we will have a myriad of meaningful pursuits in heaven. We'll be constantly amazed by what we're learning about God and His Creation - and we'll take that learning and accomplish some significant goals in areas such as art, music, engineering design, literature, social interactions, etc - many of the good things that exist today - yet conducted in a sinless environment.

It sounds nice, but how for how long could you possilby enjoy perfection? Why try to in some artistic endeavor when what you know you will end up with will be perfect? And perfect in who's eyes? The same with music. Will everyone there have the same tastes? All music will be loved? Literature? Could you name a piece of literature that does not have the quality of darkness somewhere in it?

You speak of goals, yet goals means trying to achieve something with the notion that it may not be achieved. That is what makes the accomplishment worthwhile. Is failure allowed in heaven? How could it be if it is nothing but perfection?

My point is that life is a balance. If the afterlife has no imperfection, the whole thing would be out-of-whack. Our imaginings are usually not well-balanced and thoughtout.

I'll take a look into that book.

Here is an excerpt from that book:

"What will it be like to perform a task, to build and create, knowing that what we're doing will last? What will it be like to be always gaining skill, so that our best work will always be ahead of us? Because our minds and bodies will never fade and because we will never lack resources or opportunity, our work won't degenerate. Buildings won't last for only fifty years, and books won't be in print for only twenty years. They'll last forever." p398

Another one:

"Imagine the animals that zoologists will research and play with or the flowers that botanists will study. Gifted astronomers and explorers may go from star system to star system, galaxy to galaxy, studying the wonders of God's creation. If we think life on the New Earth will be boring, we just aren't getting it. Take a closer look at God and his Word, and all thoughts that we'll be bored in his presence will vanish." p396 Heaven by Randy Alcorn

Only God remains all-knowing. People remain people obviously with the same level of intellect. Notice he says gifted astromers. This immediately creates "lesser" people. It is still a system of hierarchies.

The first paragraph is almost to the point of absurdity. Buildings last forever, yet our skill is always improving. I'm not sure I would want my first building to last forever. If I didn't like it and wanted to tear it down, this is destruction.

In other places he says that stars will continue to die, but they will be resurrected. Honestly, this is nothing more than what is going on already, except the same stars aren't resurrected. New ones are created. The whole thing is in a constant state of creation, but the Christian mind wants to hold onto something that is permanent so it creates permance in a world of flux by trying to stop (or resurrect) what they view as permanent. This is the mind's (ego) way of trying to hold onto itself. No, nothing new can ever come about because what went before would never leave. Honestly, think this through.

Here is an excerpt from that book:

"What will it be like to perform a task, to build and create, knowing that what we're doing will last? What will it be like to be always gaining skill, so that our best work will always be ahead of us? Because our minds and bodies will never fade and because we will never lack resources or opportunity, our work won't degenerate. Buildings won't last for only fifty years, and books won't be in print for only twenty years. They'll last forever." p398

Another one:

"Imagine the animals that zoologists will research and play with or the flowers that botanists will study. Gifted astronomers and explorers may go from star system to star system, galaxy to galaxy, studying the wonders of God's creation. If we think life on the New Earth will be boring, we just aren't getting it. Take a closer look at God and his Word, and all thoughts that we'll be bored in his presence will vanish." p396 Heaven by Randy Alcorn

This is so silly. Honestly. How short-sighted, how anthropomorphic, how childlike in vision and comprehension, how substance-less, how trite, and ultimately how uninspiring. This is all just this world, except all shined up like a really big shiny toy, but still the same toy.

If there was some afterlife of 'reconciliation' with God, it not look anything like that. There would be absolute unity with God, not God there and us here. Pursuits of this world would be completely out of context and meaningless. Meaning is totally context-based. If we were in a direct God-presence context that is open-eyed, "face to face", "known even as we are known" the entire basis of value would be utterly changed from this world of matter to one of spirit.

Books, and art, literature, architecture and all such pursuits are things that have value and meaning here as part of our position in this sphere. Put us face to face with God, unified with God, "married to God" (the Bride of Christ), changes our position and context. These things above would be meaningless. It's like saying we'll be eternally happy at the bottom of a perfect ocean. It's meaningless to air breathers.

There is no way any envisioning of heaven makes any sense intellectually (assuming such a place to be a reality), or spiritually, unless it transcends the things of this sphere of earth (it fails to transcend the spirit more than a couple miles above the surface of the earth where you haven't move far in proximity, and hence context). If God's nature is spirit, then why put God in an earth-like context? Oh I know, because "When I was a child, I thought as a child". Thinking like a child.

His notions of heaven are like something you'd use to talk to a Sunday School class of 1st graders. This isn't that though, is it? This inspires adults, right?

Yes, Antlerman, the literalness (if there is such a word) of this man caught me off gaurd also. Mind you, I only did random page viewings on Amazon, but from the reviews, he seems to have tried to be biblical. As in strick, literal (unless an impossiblity came up) dogma.

There is no way I could make it through that book without my face twisting into something that I would be afraid would stick. I believe it's over 400 pages.

On another note, I find it horribly sad. I know it's hard to deal with not ever seeing family again and desiring some sort of permanence, but it makes what we know and have now seem unimportant. Even if we don't have much, at least we have it.

Not Blinded, I AM Legion the Lion.

kitty.jpg

Legion, I now see how you are. All meows and niceness on the outside, but on the inside...look out! :eek:

:D

I don't think it will work. A lot of progress have the root in greed. Why would you want to know more about anything if all you need to do is lay back in a sun-chair and drink piña coladas all day long? Why would you build a machine to harvest the crops, if you don't need to eat? Why would you build a TV, if you never feel bored and don't need entertainment? Why research how quarks interacts if the answer is: "Goddidit?" I think I would lose meaning for my living in Heaven. What's the meaning of life in Heaven?

And doesn't the Bible say we (or just selectively you and your kind) will be just like Jesus, no man, no woman, and all happy with whatever is going on? In other words, won't you be more like God, knowing everything without testing or asking, having everything you need without looking for it? Perfected. Content. Unmovable.

And another question: is Heaven based on same physical laws as this world?

Not Blinded, I AM Legion the Lion.

kitty.jpg

I always thought you were a pussy. Know I know better. You're a Delusional Pussy!

:lmao: