Goodbye Jesus

What DO you think of Political correctness?

Onyx

Though I live in NZ, I am proud but I reconizge its shortcomings.

Hell, the English men even tried to make wars with the Maoris and we're all the worse. I am anti partiotic in the sense that I never stand up for the anthem, I boo the national rugby team, All Blacks, I disbelieve its main religion.

The sense that I am partiotic is only that I am proud to live in NZ but never subscribe to its precepts of its culture.

Just a question, geez....what are your thoughts on being deaf in terms of PC?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Onyx

• Francois Tremblay

• Asimov

• Cerise

Nationalism is a fleeting thing. What's the point? The essential values of America - Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness or their reasonable partners - can be found anywhere. You don't need to be an American to appreciate that, or being human. I can move to Canada and still have it. Fuck nationalism.

if PC people would just stop calling deaf 'hard of hearing', i would be pleased. There's that little matter of un PC signs omitted. I would like to bring back them for historical contuinity.

Though I live in NZ, I am proud but I reconizge its shortcomings.

Hell, the English men even tried to make wars with the Maoris and we're all the worse. I am anti partiotic in the sense that I never stand up for the anthem, I boo the national rugby team, All Blacks, I disbelieve its main religion.

The sense that I am partiotic is only that I am proud to live in NZ but never subscribe to its precepts of its culture.

A sports team named "All Blacks"? :grin:

Now that really comes to show you how PC differs so widely between other countries. There would be a field day if someone decided to name a basketball team here in the

U.S. "All Blacks" (although the name might be more acurate in that case). :shrug:

So weird! Now PC reminds me of these Xtians schism and heresy, they're divided all over the world.

PC...

What I'm wondering, is why people are making political-correctness the antonym of rude? I thinkk someone who mentioned the difference between "you're girlfriend's banged half of chicago" with "She's cheating on you." Brutally honest - the brutal refers to the honesty not the method of speech.

I'm a Irish-Injun girl. Why is that important to me? Well, first off it affects me physically - my curious tendancies with tanning, some illnesses that tend to nosh on my genetic status. As much as people would like to eradicate race, there will always be some things that do affect certain heritages more than others, and wouldn't a doctor like to know that if he's treating you for an unknown illness that is really some obscure genetic thing? (I know I'm not making verbal sense here - please try to wossname, draw the truth out of it.)

My Aunt is Jewish (quasi-race, not religiously,) from a Jewish family. Few people now this, though. And she keeps it quiet, because as she tells me she has heard plently of anti-semetism. In the middle of frickin' Massachusetts! If it's brutally honest to just say your biases out loud, and PC to keep them quiet, then maybe PC has some shards of good we can mine out of the otherwise repugnant body.

))Warning: I'm hungover. If I'm not making sense, ignore me. If I'm insulting, this was not the purpose. Your milage may vary. *collapse on bed* ((

If it's brutally honest to just say your biases out loud, and PC to keep them quiet, then maybe PC has some shards of good we can mine out of the otherwise repugnant body.

Thank you, Java. That is well-stated, hungover or not. I agree that "PC has some shards of good we can mine out of the otherwise repugnant body." Being gracious has its own rewards and I have found them to be most bountiful.

It's good to see you and your delightful avatar again!

-Reach

Like I said, I'm in the middle when it comes to PC. I use it when it benefits me, I don't use if it don't.

For example, the PC word for who I am would be an African-American. However, is it me or did I miss the memo announcing I'm no longer to be called "black"? Nooo, because no one asked me or any other blacks I know of. They just assumed what we wanted and made up a phrase that would placate us.

But, of course, white people still get to be called.......that's right, "Americans"!

Actually you just called white people "white people". :Doh:

Why do we need to mention if someone has "black" skin or "white" skin ? Is this some information of vital importance ?

Depends on what you're trying to express.

bah...I hate nationalism...I hate culturalism....

Do you hate your nation and your culture? Or just the habit of adding the suffix "ism" to concepts that are generally okay without them?

Identification with culture or nation is the worship of the small mind, who can't bear being an individual.

I disagree.

Well now that labelling things has been determined eeeeevil by consensus, how the hell am I supposed to go for Mexican food? :shrug:

Go for the spicy taste shit. :grin:

Go for the spicy taste shit. :grin:

Ah, but that could just as easily mean East Indian cuisine. I don't fancy a samosa when I really wanted an empanada yanno. :lmao:

Do you hate your nation and your culture?  Or just the habit of adding the suffix "ism" to concepts that are generally okay without them?

I don't have a culture and while I'm Canadian, I don't harbour the nationalistic attitude that Canada is better than any country.

I don't have a culture and while I'm Canadian, I don't harbour the nationalistic attitude that Canada is better than any country.

Those without culture live on deserted islands or in caves with no human contact. I really hope you have some human contact Asi.

Where is it written that nationalism means believing your country is better then every other country anyway? Is it written in the same place that says feminism means believing women are better then men? That would explain a lot about "isms" wouldn't it.

Those without culture live on deserted islands or in caves with no human contact.  I really hope you have some human contact Asi.

I am influenced by living in a certain place, yes. But I don't associate myself with a particular culture. I would much rather that humans be less divided in terms of language and racial background, so I try my best to disassociate.

Where is it written that nationalism means believing your country is better then every other country anyway?  Is it written in the same place that says feminism means believing women are better then men?  That would explain a lot about "isms" wouldn't it.

No, but that's how I view nationalism as. I don't think dividing the world into different nations, or focusing ones interests towards ones own nation. Those ideas can lead to jingoism and conflicts that are unnecessary.

if PC people would just stop calling deaf 'hard of hearing', i would be pleased. There's that little matter of un PC signs omitted. I would like to bring back them for historical contuinity.

Some of us have grasped that one! Of course, I work at a school for deaf and blind children, so I'd better know it.

That one pisses me off, too. It's about using the terms the person in question prefers, not the term you think is least offensive to you. Most people who insist on using "hard of hearing" instead of "Deaf" seem to think that Deafness is a terrible thing to be pitied, so they're trying to make the deaf person feel like they're "less disabled" or something, as if deafness were something to cover up or sugarcoat.

yeah, that's what pisses me off. I like either deaf or Deaf. That's very simple to type and sign. The unPC signs I refer to is the gay sign with a limp wrist. ( All in celebration!) and oldersigns from 1880s I know some of them.

I am influenced by living in a certain place, yes.  But I don't associate myself with a particular culture.  I would much rather that humans be less divided in terms of language and racial background, so I try my best to disassociate.

No, but that's how I view nationalism as.  I don't think dividing the world into different nations, or focusing ones interests towards ones own nation.  Those ideas can lead to jingoism and conflicts that are unnecessary.

It's awfully hard to disassociate yourself from a language when you're using a language. Even pidgins and creole denote a cultural exchange and history.

I think diversity is a good thing, actually. Makes evolution a success in any case.

It's awfully hard to disassociate yourself from a language when you're using a language.  Even pidgins and creole denote a cultural exchange and history.

true, but I think a global language is needed....like the good ol' pre-tower of babel days!

:lmao:

I think diversity is a good thing, actually.  Makes evolution a success in any case.

Ah yes....good for evolution, aren't wars great?

true, but I think a global language is needed....like the good ol' pre-tower of babel days!

:lmao:

Ah yes....good for evolution, aren't wars great?

David Crystal has a good book about English as a Global Language. Actually, my whole course "English and Empire" is about language and culture. Ever read Ngugi wa Thiong'o's Decolonising the Mind? Good stuff.

You won the food chain war. Aren't you happy you did?

David Crystal has a good book about English as a Global Language.  Actually, my whole course "English and Empire" is about language and culture.  Ever read Ngugi wa Thiong'o's Decolonising the Mind?  Good stuff. 

You won the food chain war.  Aren't you happy you did?

I think English would be good as a global language....however I'd be perfectly willing to learn a new one.

No, I haven't read any of the books you mentioned.

Haha, the food chain war? I didn't win it, my ancestors thousands and millions of years ago did.

I don't live in a jungle.

:D

I think English would be good as a global language....however I'd be perfectly willing to learn a new one.

No, I haven't read any of the books you mentioned.

Haha, the food chain war?  I didn't win it, my ancestors thousands and millions of years ago did. 

I don't live in a jungle.

:D

:lmao: You live in a city? Welcome to the jungle. We've got fun and games. Hooray for evolution.

Wanna start a new thread about English as a Global language?

:lmao: You live in a city?  Welcome to the jungle.  We've got fun and games.  Hooray for evolution.

Wanna start a new thread about English as a Global language?

I think I will!

True PCness: One who has used a PC all of his life, and has never touched a Mac or a Linux box.

That being said, I'll bet that the guy who wrote that blog used a Mac.

:grin:

Political Correctness is something that, in my native homeland of Britian is treated with much the same contempt as religious fundamentalism; it is a self-defeating imposition that simplky serves to emphasise the inextricable differences and distance between certain ethnic and socio-cultural groups.

Take this, for instance:

The mother of a friend of mine on a recent visit to New York was refused service in a cafe after asking for a black coffee. Furious at the reigning stupidity, she grabbed the waitress and dragged her over the counter before proceeding to cite:

"Are you really that stupid? Are you really so fucking brain dead that you can't differentiate between when I'm using the word black in its racial context and when I'm referring to the colour of that liquid?"

And excellent point, methinks.

It's finally happened. PC has completely drained people's intelligence as much as religion and PowerPoint presentations!

:twitch:

At least, in Minnesota you can still ask for black coffee at a restaurant. I wonder when those days are going to end.

Sigh...

Take this, for instance:

The mother of a friend of mine on a recent visit to New York was refused service in a cafe after asking for a black coffee. Furious at the reigning stupidity, she grabbed the waitress and dragged her over the counter before proceeding to cite:

"Are you really that stupid? Are you really so fucking brain dead that you can't differentiate between when I'm using the word black in its racial context and when I'm referring to the colour of that liquid?"