Goodbye Jesus

Faith Like Potatoes

Abiyoyo

Great movie, inspired me. It's at Redbox movie rentals, if anyone has those.

It's about a farmer, Angus Buchan of South Africa, who is portrayed as kind of bitter, loose ended guy. He loses his farm, moves to basically a 'high-crime farmer' neck of Africa. The man's wife was invited to church, and he attended with her, reluctantly. He got saved and performed many miracles within this area of Africa including raising a woman from the dead of an African tribe.

I mentioned a while back about these type of things happening right now in Africa, yet couldn't find anything about it. I do remember hearing about it, and this took place around 2006. All supposedly in the name of Jesus.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abiyoyo

• florduh

• Antlerman

• Vigile

YoYo, you know what most of our thoughts will be before asking, so why ask?

Ok, for the record: I haven't seen the movie, but Nostradamus like, I have a feeling. It's bullshit second, third, and fourth-hand information sensationalized in an attempt to make an interesting movie.

Miracles always occur in Africa and New Guinea where cameras aren't rolling and no one is available to be interviewed. It's a miracle!

Guest RATIONAL EYES

what i dont understand is why a xtian would join a non xtian website,are you here to persuade people?

very strange..................

Guest DD2014
Miracles always occur in Africa and New Guinea where cameras aren't rolling and no one is available to be interviewed. It's a miracle!

I was on a christian forum (can't remember which one) on a thread call "Why doesn't God heal amputees?" And someone claimed some african guy who lost his leg prayed to God and his leg grew back the next day. I asked him if he had anything that could validate the claim, he replied "My pastor told me about it".

Another true story:

Communion - A True Story

Can't be true. It didn't happen in Africa.

I understand that another true thing that happened was that geologists in Siberia were working on an ultra-deep experimental well and they actually broke through to Hell. I know it's true because I've heard recordings of the damned souls' screams from that well on the internet. I know that Siberia isn't Africa, but some true things happen in places other than Africa. For instance, I don't think YoYo is in Africa and he really happened. At least I think he did. Maybe I'd better go to Snopes.com and check it out.

Okay. I just went to Snopes and couldn't find any mention of YoYo at all. Existentially speaking, I think this calls a lot of things into question.

So, you believe this happened cause of a movie? seriously a movie is all the proof you need.

I could ask the same question about the bible too seriously a book is all the proof you need.

You never personally witnessed enything in the book or the movie yet you believe it.

Interesting...

I am in South Africa Yoyo, I wasn’t in a charismatic church, maybe there were roomers about it there though, but I didn’t hear anything about it. People in charismatic churches here, also more likely to believe ANY BS they are told and happy to PAY for the entertainment :Doh:

When “faith like a potato” was released I already had my doubts about xtianity, so I didn’t even bother watching it. Loads of crap and I can not see Africa coming out of this delusional state within the next 100 years or more…..HELL of a future for Atheists and heaven on earth for religious groups it a gold mine for them :lmao:

I was on a christian forum (can't remember which one) on a thread call "Why doesn't God heal amputees?" And someone claimed some african guy who lost his leg prayed to God and his leg grew back the next day. I asked him if he had anything that could validate the claim, he replied "My pastor told me about it".

Hey, this happened to me. I got all my limbs cut off. I prayed to the Great Pumpkin and they all grew back overnight. The Great Pumpkin did such a good job that you can't even tell they were ever cut off.

• Super Moderator

It's interesting how you put that, Phanta. You were trying to believe in aliens, You were attempting to believe in reincarnation.

I'd like to believe in magic too, but I'm not wired to process fantasy and bullshit as truth either. I'm not a rational being for lack of trying woo-woo.

YoYo, you know what most of our thoughts will be before asking, so why ask?

Ok, for the record: I haven't seen the movie, but Nostradamus like, I have a feeling. It's bullshit second, third, and fourth-hand information sensationalized in an attempt to make an interesting movie.

It's based on the man's book, of the events.

what i dont understand is why a xtian would join a non xtian website,are you here to persuade people?

very strange..................

I have been here awhile, but no, not really, usually just good open minded conversation. I have a thought for you though. When people here post how witches are being burned alive in Kenya, everyone is , 'Whooo, wow, man that is sick, etc, etc' But, now, when a Christian posts a movie based upon a true story, already journaled as a book, then the Christian is absurd, and believes in 'anything' he sees. The point is that everyone has there corner of life, and as to anyone else that posts things that make them 'feel' a certain way, so do I. I was touched by this movie and it made me ponder on my faith as a Christian.

Another true story:

Communion - A True Story

Hum, interseting, unlike many here, I am interested in every true type of experiences; even alien encounters! Thanks for the link florduh.

Would it make a difference? If the cameras were rolling? Then I feel it would just be either discredited as some type of film magic, or trick of magic in and of itself in content. It would be scrutinized in any attempt.

I understand that another true thing that happened was that geologists in Siberia were working on an ultra-deep experimental well and they actually broke through to Hell. I know it's true because I've heard recordings of the damned souls' screams from that well on the internet. I know that Siberia isn't Africa, but some true things happen in places other than Africa. For instance, I don't think YoYo is in Africa and he really happened. At least I think he did. Maybe I'd better go to Snopes.com and check it out.

Yeah, I read about this as well, but it seems that it is a cavern of sort, deep, filled with toxic gases. They lite it on fire to keep the gases from getting into the atmosphere, which has been aflame since they lite it. But, there are many accounts from tourists that they see spirits, hear voices, etc; as well as many tourists that don't hear a thing, and just stand amazed at the physical beauty of it.

It's about a farmer, Angus Buchan of South Africa, who is portrayed as kind of bitter, loose ended guy. He loses his farm, moves to basically a 'high-crime farmer' neck of Africa. The man's wife was invited to church, and he attended with her, reluctantly. He got saved and performed many miracles within this area of Africa including raising a woman from the dead of an African tribe.

I mentioned a while back about these type of things happening right now in Africa, yet couldn't find anything about it. I do remember hearing about it, and this took place around 2006. All supposedly in the name of Jesus.

What are your thoughts?

Just because someone says something, or writes something doesn't make it true.

• Super Moderator
Hum, interseting, unlike many here, I am interested in every true type of experiences; even alien encounters! Thanks for the link florduh.

If you think that one's true too, you may also be interested in reading Gullible's Travels.

I just realized the irony of the avatar I use here. I'm spinning prayer wheels. I didn't even think about that. To me, it's just all fun make-believe...right up until someone takes it seriously.

Phanta

Never noticed that Phanta. :grin: I agree, with intense seriousness of any religious context, combined with action oriented personality, and misinterpretations, lead to disaster; reference to Hitler's view on Jews from Christ.

What are your thoughts?

Just because someone says something, or writes something doesn't make it true.

If you think that one's true too, you may also be interested in reading Gullible's Travels.

It doesn't make it necessarily true, but it doesn't make it untrue either. Our opinion, emotion, and stance makes it true on an individual level, not the events itself. Same with any other 'true' events.

Thanks for the link florduh.

When people here post how witches are being burned alive in Kenya, everyone is , 'Whooo, wow, man that is sick, etc, etc' But, now, when a Christian posts a movie based upon a true story, already journaled as a book, then the Christian is absurd, and believes in 'anything' he sees.

If you google “burning witches in Kenya,” you can find articles from MSNBC.com and BBC.com about the incident. If you check this site:

www.reformedtruth.co.za/DownloadHandler.ashx?pg=ff141a43-b678-4546-85a5-27a6f1a14172&section=0d9c761c-0cdc-409a-90f3-abe968ffd0b2&file=Faith+Like+Potatoes+-+Shaun+Willcock.pdf

you will see that some Christians do not believe the story and the author himself does not claim that the person “raised from the dead” was dead, perhaps just unconscious. What proof is there of the raising, about as much proof as Bible raisings?

Although MSNBC and the BBC may not always be one hundred percent reliable, even fifty percent is infinitely greater reliability than zero percent for the Bible.

I have been here awhile, but no, not really, usually just good open minded conversation. I have a thought for you though. When people here post how witches are being burned alive in Kenya, everyone is , 'Whooo, wow, man that is sick, etc, etc' But, now, when a Christian posts a movie based upon a true story, already journaled as a book, then the Christian is absurd, and believes in 'anything' he sees. The point is that everyone has there corner of life, and as to anyone else that posts things that make them 'feel' a certain way, so do I. I was touched by this movie and it made me ponder on my faith as a Christian.

There is a great difference between the two stories ... and a variety of reasons to possibly accept the one over the other.

For many people here, the natural position is one of the skeptic. You tell me that a man just flew across the sky, I an naturally do not believe it. I may do some research and find out otherwise and, if so, my opinion changes. However, if I cannot find any evidence to support the claim, then I will remain in a position of skepticism and fail to believe that someone actually flew across the sky.

When you compare the two stories, you have information to deal with. One story says that people (witches) were burned alive. The other says a man grew back a limb. From the position of skepticism I can ask myself some very simple questions: Have I every seen anyone burned alive before? Have I ever heard of anyone burned alive before? Has there ever been anyone that has been burned alive before? Do we have any evidence for people ever being put to death for being a witch? Do we have any evidence for someone being burned alive for being a witch? Etc.

When it comes to the man growing back a limb, similar questions can be asked: Do we have any evidence for anyone ever growing back a limb (not stories, but evidence)?

With the first case, all the questions can be answered with a resounding YES! People have been put to death for being witches. People do burn when they catch on fire. People have been burned alive in the past for being witches. Etc. So we have a historical basis for believing the story.

When it comes to the question of someone growing back a limb, we have no evidence. Perhaps there are stories, but no documented evidence. I can go to a burn ward and see, with my own eyes, people that have been burned, but I cannot find a person whose limb has grown back. So no matter what I do, it is easy to discover that it is very possible for someone to be burned alive because someone claimed they were a witch. However, it remains virtually impossible for someone to regrow a limb. As such, the story of the man whose limb has regrown remains implausible and, as such, a rational hearer remains skeptical.

And, as someone already pointed out, the particulars of the story can be validated by going to other sources (news sites, etc) which are recognized as legitimate. Evidence would lead us to believe that some people were burned for some reason, most likely because someone claimed they were witches. And it is not the claim of witchcraft that would bother most of us so much, but the evidence of burning people. However, there is no evidence, anywhere, of anyone regrowing a limb. No respected news reporting agency is talking about this as if it is truth. The AP wire is not carrying this story as if it were a truth, etc.

So there are vast differences between the stories. A little common sense and a little research ... it does not take much.