• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• dogmatically_challenged

• Asimov

• Vigile

Top Posters In This Topic

I think exposing the bible for what it really is and putting the blame on the book itself might be less offensive. Didn't any one read my first post here. THE BIBLE. Not necessarily people. I say most of the blame goes to people who are long, long dead.

I agree with this. I don't think that going around and harassing fundamentalist Christians themselves is going to do any good. It will just get them pissed off and have more so-called evidence that non-believers are "evil". I think that you need to start with the book and prove it false beyond any reasonable doubt, and then show these people that it is possible to prove this book false using evidence.

By evidence, I don't mean that god doesn't exist or does exist but is Pagan or Buddhist or Deist or whatever, that's impossible. But refuting the archaeological claims would be a good start. Not that most of them haven't been refuted, but they have to be refuted enough so that not even the really liberal apologists won't be able to say "Well, I believe goddidtit, so it must be true, even though science says it's not." Do you get what I am trying to say?

Tough rule, but fair.

Actually, it's not bad at all.

Because for me is that if someone say they believe just because they do (emotional reason, and you can never argue emotions), and have no real logical reason for it, I'm willing to let it go. But if someone claims to have a logical or rational reason to faith, then they have to prove it, which always will fail.

Emotional reasons by themselves or Blind Faith is not any kind of acceptable justification for endorsing or spreading bigotry. How can Faith as descibed in the N.T. or xian dogmas built around it be shown to be more useful than reason in the real world? How can Faith be demonstrated to be Reasons equal in discrimination or descerning what is factual? Faith is not a good enough justification for bigoted superstion. The xer must defend the bible based on reason and not faith unless they can demonstrate how Faith is Reasons equal.

Certain xians are very good people and I have them on a technicality only. Bigotry has a lot of unsavory connotations. I have some xians on a technicality only. Just keep in mind that as denominations come from other denominations so too can a person use the bible differently after having been converted. The bible has bigotry in it. I believe this is still ontopic.

I agree with this.  I don't think that going around and harassing fundamentalist Christians themselves is going to do any good.  It will just get them pissed off and have more so-called evidence that non-believers are "evil".  I think that you need to start with the book and prove it false beyond any reasonable doubt, and then show these people that it is possible to prove this book false using evidence. 

By evidence, I don't mean that god doesn't exist or does exist but is Pagan or Buddhist or Deist or whatever, that's impossible.  But refuting the archaeological claims would be a good start.  Not that most of them haven't been refuted, but they have to be refuted enough so that not even the really liberal apologists won't be able to say "Well, I believe goddidtit, so it must be true, even though science says it's not."  Do you get what I am trying to say?

I agree that that is what will work for some, but not all demand that much. I think consentrating on nonxers and half assed xers is worth while.

Asimov, I respect you and your right to believe what you want to believe, but I'm sure we don't respect each other's beliefs.

Is that accurate?

Tap. You are the most tolerant fundy xer I have ever run into. You are a very tolerant person. I do not see you as evil, or as a villian. Thats not it at all. It never was like that. I just had the stupid idea that shock treatment works. I was a fool.

Also I was angry because, I thought you did not care for our questions. I realize now that you will go through the same process as the rest of us. Soul Searching is a life time endeavor. I was being very immature and really stupid.

I am sorry.

:woohoo::notworthy:   :woohoo:

That, is what separates the individuals from the masses.

:woohoo::notworthy:   :woohoo:

That is a most excellent explanation as to why one doesn't hold onto faith, Asimov.

Thanks.  :thanks:

Now all you have to do is give it a chapter and verse number then we'll be all set.  :HaHa:

I think As. 22:4 is a good chapter and verse...