Goodbye Jesus

Your Opinion On "spirituality."

Vomit Comet

<wringing hands>Yes, yes. My plan is coming to fruition.

mwc

Everyone here knows that I'm very spiritual. I think that there is an all encompassing spirit of loving goodness that pervades the entire universe and that we, the entire human race, simply need to tap into that energy by driving massive spikes through our heads, at the same time, and connecting specially designed cables between each of our pierced skulls to act as a giant antenna so that might, as one, contact our loving creator being and invite it into our still writhing bodies.

The only way to know is to try. Until then I am absolutely correct and you must all respect my views as equal to, meaning better than, any of your own.

mwc

MWC, will you marry me? Seriously this time. Scout's honor. And don't look at me like that, I was totally a scout once. Y'know, back in ninty-mumblemumble.

Just in case, your wife could probably be convinced to take you back again, right? I mean, I'm totally serious this time. I'm just curious. /shiftyeyes

I, sir, hail from a fine tradition of assholes. I have asshole friends. Some of my favorite relatives were assholes. Some of you may be assholes and not realize it yet. Asshole traditions, asshole uniforms, asshole regulations, it's all part of the asshole heritage. So celebrate in asshole fashion.woohoo.gif

Oh, and I used "spiritual but not religious" when I was an atheist and didn't want to tell.

Damn it, Par, always rolling in and stealing my asshole thunder! You're such an asshole!

'Course y'all know I'm an Atheist, as well as a world-class asshole. As for what I disapprove of, I generally take a dim view of all unfounded beliefs. I do make a distinction between stupid beliefs and the usually decent people who hold to 'em, though. I'd be out several drinking buddies if I didn't, and a full table at the pub is more important than moral superiority.

VC, you're totally an asshole, but that has nothing to do with this thread. You're an asshole because I'm an asshole. ;)

• Super Moderator

We must never let the religious people have all the assholes.

I don't feel unfavorably towards religion. I just don't give a shit. My life's too short and hard enough as it is to care what you do. If following a religion is what it takes to help you find peace, contentment, joy and love then hey, who am I to say to label it all as rubbish? I DO have to admit that religion DOES help some people be better people. I don't see it that often, but it does happen on occasion.

Just don't make me live by your rules and morals. Don't sit and preach to me. Don't kill or persecute people in the name of your religion.

PRAZE CEILING CAT!!!

24817_396636796632_286726696632_4056462_5637640_n.jpg

WE HAZ CHEEZBURGRZ!!!

I feel like I'm doing my taxes when taking this poll!

What is Atheist with a capital A? Don't tell me you're one of those... :D

Technically I'm a atheist, but I prefer the word humanist or non-theist.

The religions I have the most unfavourable view of are the Abrahamic religions. I find them stupid, non-scientific, lame, irrational, lame, idiotic, childish, fantasy based, creepy, barbaric, nonsensical, and cannibalistic mind-fuck. All others, like say Wiccan or paganism, I can deal with. I mean, how can you put down a religion that appears to worship nature and doesn't kill anyone or impose their religion on anyone? Or how about this? We have a friend who is a Bast worshiper and really does adore cats. How can you knock that, esp when you yourself are a cat lover and love all animals? Our friend just takes her love of cats a little further than I do.

Am I bitch? I like to think that I'm not, but I can be when it comes to crazy superstitions. However, I have had Christians say I am a good person and one of the nicest people they know. Those are generally the people who get to know before religion ever comes up, if it ever does at all. Am I bitch for taking this poll? I don't think so.

When I was a Xian, I was liberal. I didn't care if someone was gay, got divorced (I had at least one under my belt myself), was a female priest, had sex before marriage, pregnant and not married (I was when I conceived my first son) or was living with someone "out of wedlock". It was none of my business, IMO. I had no room to judge other people, IMO, because I was just as guilty of some of the very same "offenses". Then again, I didn't believe in a hell and the idea of heaven was not some place above us. In fact, I had no clue what heaven was, but I didn't believe in a hell. I didn't even believe in Satan, demons, or some other weird monster. However, I could not stand anyone less than liberal because they are mean, hateful, degrading, judgmental, stupid, ignorant, cruel... You get the idea.

All in all, I haven't changed a bit in my view of Xianity since I became an Ex-C. I thought it was barbaric and cannibalistic then and I still do. I thought many were mean, cruel, hateful, degrading, judgmental, stupid, ignorant, etc and I still do. What's the difference between then and now? Well, for example, John 3:16 and the story of the Crucifixion doesn't seem real to me anymore. It's no more real to me now than the Lorax, Aesop's Fables, etc., except I put the story of the Lorax at a higher appreciation level- I like it better that is.

I have an unfavorable view towards fundamentalism/extremism/dogmatism, which manifests in every religion, but doesn't describe every religious person. My views about religion in general are pretty much neutral. Technically "non-favorable" I guess, but that was why I picked "other" under the adjectives section. I think you're missing something like "sincere, but misguided."

• 2 years later...

I don't like any of the major religions. Xianity--obviously. Islam scares me. I have not read the Quran, so I don't know if the rumors about its encouraging hostility toward non-Muslims and the belief that heaven is where Allah's servants--terrorists--get to rape virgin girls are true. But when people kill other people in Allah's name, when conservative Muslim nations class women as men's property, I get turned off. Hinduism is depressing: I hate the idea of recycling my soul over and over, going through life after life, until I become a good enough person to melt into

the great nothingness of nirvana. I'd like to keep my brain, not dissolve it. Buddhism: same reasons, and also I think denying oneself any desire is unrealistic and unhealthy. If you follow that strictly, you will end up with no friends, no more food besides bran muffins, and living in a yurt. Judaism--same reasons I left Xianity. Jehovah has no regard for human rights and thinks of them in terms of what they can give him.

I would like some sort of spirituality as a means of support, I guess. Unitarianism sounds appealing, though I'm not quite sure yet. Have to check it out first.

"Spirituality" without religion is nothing but bullshit.  I don't feel that religion is 100% bullshit, I don't believe that every religious person is an ignorant, money-grubbing, attention-whoring, schizophrenic bigot.  But the New Age and "spiritual but not religious" crowd are, in my experience, mostly smug, condescending assholes who make shit up as they go along so they get the same religious high and their ego stroked.  I think they're next in the theocratic hit parade, and from what I can tell they've already started.  My public, state-run university was already telling people to meditate and go to church under the guise of teaching them about "spiritual health."  I'm an atheist, and the least spiritual person I know. I get more out of listening to PSY than I do meditating.

My feminism has informed my lack of religion and spirituality.  I see no purpose for either in a modern society.  Each and every single one emphasizes gender roles, and presents them as facts.  It is not true.  Not every woman is a loving, nurturing mother (or future mother).  Not every man is a big, strong, protective father.  But even the most liberal interpretations of religion seem to want to put men and women into tidy little boxes, and that's not true.  Plenty of men love children and become teachers or stay-at-home dads.  Plenty of women don't like children much, have zero "maternal instinct" and prefer to focus on their work.  There is nothing wrong or unnatural or "ungodly" about that. I have seen even the most egalitarian-for-their-time religions used to subjugate women even today; and I have seen "non-denominational" spirituality to do the same.  The worst thing about New Age and pop spirituality is that any asshole of any religion can use it to peddle their bullshit to the masses.  Just tack all the right buzzwords to your product like "holistic" and "inspiration" and "positivity" and watch the money and power roll in like a tsunami.  You could justify anyone's asshattery without having to contradict your own religion.  Because you technically don't have one. 

Guest MadameX

I am both atheist and Unitarian.

Also am pro-religion because religion is so much more than dogma. I've written about this elsewhere on this site. Sort of an Alain deBoton type.

As far as god belief, a lot depends upon the individual's definition of god. I find that if you drill down, many have a very very fuzzy definition of god, even 'fundies' For many god = everything that is good. The rest they tend not to think through very well.

• Like 1

"Spirituality" without religion is nothing but bullshit.  I don't feel that religion is 100% bullshit, I don't believe that every religious person is an ignorant, money-grubbing, attention-whoring, schizophrenic bigot.  But the New Age and "spiritual but not religious" crowd are, in my experience, mostly smug, condescending assholes who make shit up as they go along so they get the same religious high and their ego stroked.  I think they're next in the theocratic hit parade, and from what I can tell they've already started.  My public, state-run university was already telling people to meditate and go to church under the guise of teaching them about "spiritual health."  I'm an atheist, and the least spiritual person I know. I get more out of listening to PSY than I do meditating.

My feminism has informed my lack of religion and spirituality.  I see no purpose for either in a modern society.  Each and every single one emphasizes gender roles, and presents them as facts.  It is not true.  Not every woman is a loving, nurturing mother (or future mother).  Not every man is a big, strong, protective father.  But even the most liberal interpretations of religion seem to want to put men and women into tidy little boxes, and that's not true.  Plenty of men love children and become teachers or stay-at-home dads.  Plenty of women don't like children much, have zero "maternal instinct" and prefer to focus on their work.  There is nothing wrong or unnatural or "ungodly" about that. I have seen even the most egalitarian-for-their-time religions used to subjugate women even today; and I have seen "non-denominational" spirituality to do the same.  The worst thing about New Age and pop spirituality is that any asshole of any religion can use it to peddle their bullshit to the masses.  Just tack all the right buzzwords to your product like "holistic" and "inspiration" and "positivity" and watch the money and power roll in like a tsunami.  You could justify anyone's asshattery without having to contradict your own religion.  Because you technically don't have one. 

Regarding the "mostly smug, condescending assholes who make shit up as they go along", these people usually are promoted to management roles. :-)

I understand you were just doing this to be emphatic, but I get annoyed when I see people capitalize atheism.  I also realize that as a poll option, it should be capitalized but with the "with a capital A" remark it just reminds me of all the people who actually do try to capitlize the word.  These are often the people who will try to brand atheism as a religion. 

I'm an atheist.  I have an unfavorable view of basically an magical belief.  But it's really a scale based off of how innocent and harmless the belief is vs if it is arrogant, harmful, or delusional.  I know several people on this site have given up Christianity and opted for a less specific form of magic such as pantheism, deism, paganism, or just "spirituality" (i.e. make your own rules).  So I do feel a little bad insulting your beliefs and all.  But as far as I'm concerned, there are four stages. 

-Not believing in magic

-Kind of believing in magic

-Firmly believing in magic

-Firmly believing in magic and believing some group has complete (or great) insight and knowledge of that magic (cults/most religions)

I'd put spiritual people in the "Firmly believing in magic" category.  The only category I can't critique is the "Not believing in magic" category.  Anyways, I don't hate it, but I don't like it either.

Haha, did anybody else just realize this thread is almost 3 years old?

I have an unfavorable view of most any woo.  If you don't have evidence to support it then I can't take your position seriously.

But most of the time it's not worth it to rile people up about it.  Most aren't going to change and it gets tiring to deal with them when they're in attack mode.

I agree!

I understand you were just doing this to be emphatic, but I get annoyed when I see people capitalize atheism.  I also realize that as a poll option, it should be capitalized but with the "with a capital A" remark it just reminds me of all the people who actually do try to capitlize the word.  These are often the people who will try to brand atheism as a religion. 

I'm an atheist.  I have an unfavorable view of basically an magical belief.  But it's really a scale based off of how innocent and harmless the belief is vs if it is arrogant, harmful, or delusional.  I know several people on this site have given up Christianity and opted for a less specific form of magic such as pantheism, deism, paganism, or just "spirituality" (i.e. make your own rules).  So I do feel a little bad insulting your beliefs and all.  But as far as I'm concerned, there are four stages. 

-Not believing in magic

-Firmly believing in magic and believing some group has complete (or great) insight and knowledge of that magic (cults/most religions)

I'd put spiritual people in the "Firmly believing in magic" category.  The only category I can't critique is the "Not believing in magic" category.  Anyways, I don't hate it, but I don't like it either.

For me, religious people fit into two categories. They either try to impose their religious beliefs on me (i.e. creationism in schools, blasphemy laws, making abortion, stem cell research and the like illegal) or they don't. So long as you're not in the first category, believe and do whatever crazy shit you want; you're all right with me.

-Not believing in magic

For me, religious people fit into two categories. They either try to impose their religious beliefs on me (i.e. creationism in schools, blasphemy laws, making abortion, stem cell research and the like illegal) or they don't. So long as you're not in the first category, believe and do whatever crazy shit you want; you're all right with me.

For the most part, I don't care either way what people believe.  But when it comes to my opinion of their actual belief, I break it down as I did above.

• 2 months later...

I think all religion or sprituality is similar to taking drugs, drinking tons of alcohol every night, or spending hours zoning out in front of the TV.

It is all just a way of avoiding reality.

Since leaving religion, it has been so much easier to identify problems and solve them. I am no longer in a perpetually numb state shuffling from church meeting to church meeting and mindlessly reading stacks of "inspirational" books written by pastors.

No matter what form following the "supernatural" takes, it always leads you further away from reality. It takes all the beautiful, crisp lines of the world and turns them into a numb, glassy haze.

• Like 4

fun poll! I am getting to the point where i can say I am an atheist out loud without feeling weird about it lol biggrin.png

I remember speaking with my cousin's new wife about religion (she brought it up). When I asked her the Dillahunty*, she responded, "I'm spiritual, not religious."

My immediate response was, "So you've got a wishy-washy, nebulous, fear-based view of reality that isn't based on any kind of empirical data? That's fucking stupid. Give me one reason I should take anything you say seriously."

She cried, my cousin got all butthurt and now we don't talk, etc. That's the kind of asshole I am because those words... that phrase... it's like a nails on a chalkboard to me. It's just a cop-out. Believe whatever you want, but believe something. Fuck.

* "What do you believe and why do you believe it?"

A bit crass, but my sentiments too.

Is reality the logical thinking in my head? Is reality what I see, smell, hear, taste and touch? Is there a difference? Can I experience reality without giving it any thought?

I remember speaking with my cousin's new wife about religion (she brought it up). When I asked her the Dillahunty*, she responded, "I'm spiritual, not religious."

My immediate response was, "So you've got a wishy-washy, nebulous, fear-based view of reality that isn't based on any kind of empirical data? That's fucking stupid. Give me one reason I should take anything you say seriously."

She cried, my cousin got all butthurt and now we don't talk, etc. That's the kind of asshole I am because those words... that phrase... it's like a nails on a chalkboard to me. It's just a cop-out. Believe whatever you want, but believe something. Fuck.

* "What do you believe and why do you believe it?"

My fear-based reality is based on the actual reality of people doing rotten shit to each other and my having to do something about it (my career) to help them which eventually resulted in a form of PTSD that ended my career. Fuck reality. lol. Give me some Maryjane!

But I wouldn't go back to any organized religion. Any regular gathering of people irritates me. I don't seriously believe in anything but choose to indulge in some spiritual things because it's fun. :-) The two important things for me are to 1) Always be my own supreme authority and 2) Never discuss my personal spiritual shit with anyone.