Goodbye Jesus

The Good News

Mad_Gerbil

I'm owned by a whole passel of ratties. In fact, I'm thinking of using my black hoodie squish Justin as my icon once I have some time to play in photoshop....

When my last gerbil croaks I'm thinking of getting a rat.

They seem pretty cool.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mad_Gerbil

• Ouroboros

• Amethyst

• crazy-tiger

When my last gerbil croaks I'm thinking of getting a rat.

They seem pretty cool.

Get two same-sex; they're very social and will suffer without companionship. For good rat info, try the Ratlist on yahoo groups or rattieratz.com.

Amethyst, FWIW, I thought taking communion was to remind us that each one of us were part of the body of Christ, and by his blood he and all of us are related to each other. :shrug:
Communion... Ponder this for a bit. Most, if not all religions, started out in such a way that a belief was established that a God/Creator required some sort of sacrifice to appease his wrath whenever unfortunate circumstances befell these primitive tribes. These sacrifices usually ended up being another human from the tribe, or the very best of their livestock.

After the sacrifice, instead of this good meat going to waste, whether it be a human or an animal, the tribe would sit down and enjoy/partake of this sacrifice to the God/Gods/Creator. Here we have the "birth" of communion.

Eventually, things got out of hand. Superstition runs rampant, and everyone thinks that they have to kill somebody or some animal for every little thing that goes wrong. Chaos ensues, and something has to be done stop it.

The religion "evolves" and... Enter Christianity -- the religion with one final sacrifice for all time. No more killing of virgins, firstborn, or livestock. The tribe begins to thrive. Jesus -- the way, the truth, and the life.

However, this little solution has one little drawback. The tribes lost their sense of "community" and "fellowship" since, after all, they no longer had a reason to sit around and socialize while eating a "real" sacrifice.

This is where the Masters of the Pen come in. With much thought, and a lot more creative writing, they create a theology where their "living sacrifice" declares to his disciples to, "Take this bread and eat it, for it is my flesh.", and "Take this wine and drink it, for it is my blood." Of course if you're Catholic I think Jesus goes on to say, "The blood of the new and everlasting covenant that has been shed for all so that sins may be forgiven....." (or something like that anyway.) And there we have it! A quick and easy, however deceitful way of getting the people back together again.

So, Amanda, even though your explanation for communion sounds really nice, and most of all, unbiblical, I really don't think that is the entire reason for this ritual. It is simply the "evolved" religion's (Christianity) way of stopping a lot of needless killing.

If Christianity deserves a single feather in its cap, the ambiguous "sacrifice" is certainly a plus in my book.

Maybe we're ALL one big happy family, and not all of us know it yet.  :wicked:
Family? Yes, in a sense. Happy? Hah! Yeah right. :HaHa:

Get two same-sex; they're very social and will suffer without companionship. For good rat info, try the Ratlist on yahoo groups or rattieratz.com.
He should get a couple of male penguins. That way, not only will his pets can have companionship, they'll have sex as well!