Goodbye Jesus

The Good News

Mad_Gerbil

More like quite a wife to still be appreciative.

:lmao:

I thought atheists swapped wives every 5 months?

:HaHa: You're a funny guy.

Didn't you know, we atheists are so dumb that we can't count to 5... duh... So when we get to five, already 20 years have passed... ;)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mad_Gerbil

• Ouroboros

• Amethyst

• crazy-tiger

Well so far I've gotten 1 email accusing me of being a chauvanist for posting a story that featured a woman...

*sigh*

Huh?. Well aren't you? Admit your sins mister! Let them all out, or you can't receive forgiveness!

:wicked:

Huh?. Well aren't you? Admit your sins mister! Let them all out, or you can't receive forgiveness!

:wicked:

Pffft.

I married a woman and I have two daughters.

All three of them get the better of me every day.

It ain't pretty.

Pffft.

I married a woman and I have two daughters.

All three of them get the better of me every day.

It ain't pretty.

Like John Ziegler said:

ON MARRIAGE:

"Statistics have proven time and again that the institution of marriage is invalid. After all, 50% of all marriages are confirmed failures...while the other 50% end in divorce."

ON WOMEN AND GOD:

"The female figure is the greatest known evidence that there might be a God...but the female psyche is an indication that this God has a very sick sense of humor."

Mad Gerbil,

What I dont get about the skit is that the woman was all bitchy or, at least, was unaware that she was saved. Why was she unaware? Was she not a christian with a relationship with Jesus?

Or does your church believe that all are saved, as in truly a free gift? (I was reading the Free Gift thread recently).

Bongo

-----------------------------

And I think the rock dropping skit is totally manipulative. You KNOW you better drop your rock and conform to peer pressure or put a big Sinner sign on.

Just like Communion. Preacher says, "only partake if you're ok with god and havent got any big sins going on right now". Ever see anyone not partake?.

Just like Communion. Preacher says, "only partake if you're ok with god and havent got any big sins going on right now".  Ever see anyone not partake?.

You should have sat next to me. :P

Mad Gerbil,

I'm sorry but I cannot understand how this,

My wife, after 16 years, still looks at her wedding ring and thanks me for it.

We celebrate our anniversary every year.

Some things you just remember -- and the joy can come back to you as fully as the first day you experienced it.

I'm challenged every day to allow the past to become more distant.

I enjoy being reminded of it.

Is an answer to this,

How long have you been a christian? I'm guessing a while - why would you have been a mess? Hasn't the forgiveness truth struck home till now? it took this skit? But now you know right - about God's forgiveness, you are never going to be a mess again if someone comes up with a different skit to represent how bad you are and how much God wants to wash you clean right?

I've been taught about forgiveness and clean slates and starting a fresh since I was knee high - I've sung about my sins being buried at the bottom of the ocean and how I've 'never ever seen a sin that can swim and his banner over me is love' over and over ...

..and yet  - still a well timed representation of my wickedness accompanied by stirring music or aesthetically pleasing movements cuts right into the emotional heart of me.

Why is that ?

Please explain.

Without guilt enforcing the lesson, the "sin" just gets repeated again and again. No learning taking place.

White Raven, perhaps there is no guilt in 'grace', in understanding at the time, one did the best they knew how, in the situation they were in, with the coping skills available to them then. EVERYONE makes the best decision available to them, so can ANYONE be condemned for not doing better than their best? We can be accountable and responsible in order to change for the better, without having to be 'guilty', IMO.

It really isn't my intent to defend the skit, since any metaphor or skit can be taken the wrong way or over analyzed

Hmm.

I think I'll take that as a compliment. I replied before coffee on a Monday morning.

How does one over-analyze? I've been accused of this a lot in my life, and really it just emphasizes how LITTLE time the person making the comment spends thinking about the same topic.

Really it is the expression of an opinion. It really means: "I spent 15 seconds thinking about something you spent two minutes thinking over. YOU are thinking too much".

Funny how so few people go: "Gosh, you really are giving that more time than I did.....I wonder if I missed something worth more of my time? I'll think about it some more myself".

Guess which personality type will get more out of EVERYTHING in the long run?

Hmm.

How does one over-analyze? I've been accused of this a lot in my life,

I get accused of this too - I've spent hours wondering why I am so analytical.

;)

Guess which personality type will get more out of EVERYTHING in the long run?

I'm sure I wouldn't know.

I've not thought about it.

HanSolo, here might be some interesting philosophy for you...

Do you know why God made man first?

Its said... because he didn't want any advice. :scratch:

Do you know what God said after he made man?

I can do better than this. :HappyCry:

:HaHa:

Mad Gerbil,

I'm sorry but I cannot understand how this,

Is an answer to this,

Please explain.

I may have misunderstood your question.

What I meant to communicate was that just like my marriage experiences moments of renewal and re-appreciation (for lack of a better word), so to the skit impressed upon me a re-appreciation of grace.

My wife realizes that she is married the whole time -- and you would think the ring would get old after a while -- but it doesn't.

So to, grace doesn't get old.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the skit moves me because it is nice to see a church trying to communicate grace instead of hatred.

Mad Gerbil,

What I dont get about the skit is that the woman was all bitchy or, at least, was unaware that she was saved. Why was she unaware? Was she not  a christian with a relationship with Jesus?

Or does your church believe that all are saved, as in truly a free gift? (I was reading the Free Gift thread recently).

Bongo

Despite what most people tell you -- a majority of people have a short list of things they've done wrong that they torture themselves with for most of their lives. Despite being 'forgiven' (either by others or G_d) they live with the guilt for no apparent reason.

Have you ever apologized for something years later only to have the person you are apologizing to claim they've no idea of that which you are speaking? Guilt is funny that way.

Whether the woman in the skit was saved or not really isn't the point as much as the idea that grace erases the tapes -- that G_d has done something about that sin and that he is more than just a voyuer.

I may have misunderstood your question.

What I meant to communicate was that just like my marriage experiences moments of renewal and re-appreciation (for lack of a better word), so to the skit impressed upon me a re-appreciation of grace.

My wife realizes that she is married the whole time -- and you would think the ring would get old after a while -- but it doesn't.

So to, grace doesn't get old.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the skit moves me because it is nice to see a church trying to communicate grace instead of hatred.

That makes some sense - but I still don't understand why you felt you would have been a 'mess' - if you'd experienced the skit first hand. That was more my point - and that comment reminded me intensely of some of my experiences as a christian - many of which consisted of being taken to a place where I was emotionally vulnerable - having my past raked up for me - and then being made to feel grateful for a release from the condemnation.

And because I am someone who is moved by music and art, such representaions always worked powerfully on me.

:HaHa: Good one!

I'm currently not taking communion until some issues get cleared up.

Like, if it's supposed to be wine or grape juice?

And if it really turns to blood when you drink it?

That makes some sense - but I still don't understand why you felt you would have been a 'mess' - if you'd experienced the skit first hand. That was more my point - and that comment reminded me intensely of some of my experiences as a christian - many of which consisted of being taken to a place where I was emotionally vulnerable - having my past raked up for me - and then being made to feel grateful for a release from the condemnation.

And because I am someone who is moved by music and art, such representaions always worked powerfully on me.

I think that it is good to know that about yourself.

It helps keep you in control so that you don't get manipulated unawares.

Like, if it's supposed to be wine or grape juice?

And if it really turns to blood when you drink it?

Wine?

My church uses shot glasses and Tequila.

I really, really miss communion.....

..and yet  - still a well timed representation of my wickedness accompanied by stirring music or aesthetically pleasing movements cuts right into the emotional heart of me.

Why is that ?

Brainwashing?

Just 2 nights ago we were with friends at the end of a wine-tasting party at their house. Alcohol being the truth-serum and all, the hostess confessed her extreme anxiety over gambling. It wasn't just distaste, it was borderline psychosis! She went and pulled a few slots for the sake of her boyfriend but it was all she could do to keep from passing out or running out of the building. Further questioning revealed that it was drilled into her head as a child how evil gambling was. Of course her case is a bit extreme as it involved an alcoholic parent and physical abuse bordering on sexual abuse. But years of training to respond emotionally to certain types of music and/or guilt certainly qualifies as brainwashing to me.....

Wine?

My church uses shot glasses and Tequila.

I really, really miss communion.....

Yay! That's the right kind of church! :woohoo:

And do you have nachos instead of bread?

Recently, at the church my brother attends they did a skit:

I've seen so many of these drama presentations that I just get this queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach reading this one. It's that smarmy.

MG, I have two questions for you:

1) Why exactly did you post this skit here? You didn't ask a question or comment on it. Were you simply hoping that it would somehow trigger one of us heathens to un-deconvert? Trust me, if anything the reaction will be negative. We are, by and large, overly sensitive to such blatant attempts at emotional manipulation.

2) Why do you spell God without the 'o'? Is he easily offended at the use of his generic name in English?