Goodbye Jesus

What Is The Most Absurd Christian Teaching?

Adam5

The men in long frocks teach a lot of silly things. What is in your opinion, is the most absurd? thanks

The ones that teach the weirdest things here don't wear frocks, they wear suits; the ones that wear frocks are practically normal in comparison.

The most absurd Christian teaching, in my mind? That anything in Genesis actually happened. It just doesn't get any more absurd than trying to take the story of Noah's ark literally.

• Like 2

Teaching the rapture as a real, literal future event.

• Like 2

I love the story of god and satan sitting 'above', making deals about how far they could go to prove that our darlin' friend 'Job' had faith. Pooy guy.

God told satan, he could do anything to him, except kill him. Wendytwitch.gif

And I looked at this story in a positive way for many years!! Wendybanghead.gif

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

That God is omniscient and omnipotent. Were that the case, experience would indicate that he must be a cruel, incompetent, bumbling idiot.

• Like 1

The most absurd Christian teaching, in my mind? That anything in Genesis actually happened. It just doesn't get any more absurd than trying to take the story of Noah's ark literally.

Nice one. Answers in Genesis is good comedy value :)

Its better to marry then burn with desire.

Yes thats pretty silly. God, or is that the clergy, seems to be obessed with other people's sex lives.

Teaching the rapture as a real, literal future event.

hi Deva, I actually think end time nut jobs like Harold Camping and, Jack van Impe and Rexella, are probably quite similar to the orginal Apostles, i.e. nutters :)

I love the story of god and satan sitting 'above', making deals about how far they could go to prove that our darlin' friend 'Job' had faith. Pooy guy.God told satan, he could do anything to him, except kill him.

And I looked at this story in a positive way for many years!!

Hi Margee, yes poor old Job! At the church I attended, after dealing with some wacky story from the old testament, they would have a counselling session after the service; obviously embarrassed about craziness of it.

The concept of "original sin" in the Garden of Eden.

Without it, there would be no alleged need of a savior.

Of course, the concept that the creations of a perfect, all-loving god would need to be saved from its wrath is ridiculous — and severely disgusting — in its own right.

• Like 2

That God is omniscient and omnipotent. Were that the case, experience would indicate that he must be a cruel, incompetent, bumbling idiot.

Free will is the often used excuse. Anything bad happens, Christians usually blame "sin", usually not their own :)

• Like 1

The ones that teach the weirdest things here don't wear frocks, they wear suits; the ones that wear frocks are practically normal in comparison.

I'll be the other bookend and say the book of Revelation is even more batshit wacko crazy. Is it literal? Is it metaphor? NOONE FRIKKIN KNOWS!!! Just the ramblings Of an ancient apocalyptic soothsayer.

Specifically though, it's gotta be those damn horseman killing 1/3 of the earth or whatever. And all the rest of those plagues. Stars falling to earth? Yeah, the bible is compatible with science. XD

That the most vile, Hitleresque person on earth will spend eternity in heaven if they accept Christ as their saviour on their deathbed, but someone who has done good deeds all of their life will be burned and tortured in hell for an eternity if they haven't accepted Christ as their saviour.

Agree 100%. Thats the problem of the new testament, Jesus "the prince of peace" introduces this vile teaching. None of the old testament prophets mention hell. Paul doesnt mention hell in his letters. It is Jesus in the gospels who teaches that the majority of people will spend eternity in torment. Eternal punishment for thought crime. That alone is reason to reject Christianity.

The concept of "original sin" in the Garden of Eden.

Without it, there would be no alleged need of a savior.

Of course, the concept that the creations of a perfect, all-loving god would need to be saved from its wrath is ridiculous — and severely disgusting — in its own right.

Original sin gets my vote too. God creates man, man isn't perfect, god punishes man forever for god's fuckup.

• Like 3

Seconded. My favorite part is the tower of babel story...go to church Sunday and hear how gawd punished an ancient culture for building a tall building, wake up Monday and go to your office in a much taller building. It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

I'll be the other bookend and say the book of Revelation is even more batshit wacko crazy. Is it literal? Is it metaphor? NOONE FRIKKIN KNOWS!!! Just the ramblings Of an ancient apocalyptic soothsayer.

John's gospel is John loved up on weed, and Revelation, John is on an acid trip. Yet both inspired by the same deity???

No one so far has mentioned the Trinity. 3=1. Jesus (god) praying to God. That used to give me a headache, back in the day.

It's ok to kill your kid if god tells you to.

It's ok to kill your kid if god tells you to.

Abraham put to the test?

"If you step out of line we will shun you and have nothing to do with you, but we do that because we love you"

• Like 1

No one so far has mentioned the Trinity. 3=1. Jesus (god) praying to God. That used to give me a headache, back in the day.

I think we have a winner!

Guest Valk0010

I think we have a winner!

A friend of mine, when I was a believer, called Yahweh a schizophrenic with multiple personality disorder. I laughed because as much as I hated to admit it, she was right.

"Wives, submit to husbands" and "Women must be silent in church" and the atrocious teaching that leadership is male.

These teachings effectively cripple 50% of adherents..

• Like 1