Goodbye Jesus

Questions For Christians

antix

OC said:

People are generally assholes. You will find them at work, at the grocery store, at school, on the street corner.

Hey OC, would you include yourself in that description?

I'm a sinner so I'm sure someone considers me an asshole.

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Rom 3:23)

Ah, but isn't your god supposed to transform you into a new and better person? It does not appear as though he did a good job...

Where is that bazinga guy now?

Read Romans 7. I thought the people here knew their Bible?

People around here do know their Bible. I just don't know it quite as well as others. I am perfectly comfortable saying I know enough about it to no longer be a believer, but there are still things within it that I don't yet know.

People around here do know their Bible. I just don't know it quite as well as others. I am perfectly comfortable saying I know enough about it to no longer be a believer, but there are still things within it that I don't yet know.

OC only knows his own interpretation of the bible, which he presumes is the only true and valid one; why it should puzzle him that no one else sees it as he does, I don't know.  Also he seems to miss the fact that we engage him on it only on a theoretical level to humor him, not because we in any way believe or accept it.  It's just a book OC, it has no authority or transendental meaning. 

• Like 2

God is long suffering? The bible says that? The bible also says that god is omnipotent, Omnipresent,

all knowing etc. With that, if he is long suffering it is out of choice. Or maybe the bible means he is

long on causing suffering. Ah, now that fits the OT like a clove. bill

Guest r3alchild

OC said:

People are generally assholes. You will find them at work, at the grocery store, at school, on the street corner.

Ah, but isn't your god supposed to transform you into a new and better person? It does not appear as though he did a good job...

Still trying to get people into discussions about your book of myths? I've found that whenever I've run out of toilet paper, some pages from the many bible translations I have works nicely
Thats some expensive toliet paper.

But at least it puts the book to a use... it's much more useful as asswipe than it is as a book. firedevil.gif

Guest r3alchild

Jesus *said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed." (Joh 20:29)

I did believe, but mu faith was destroyed by the actions of Christians, some really screwed up things in the old testament and a couple other issues. Clay, trust me, if Jesus was to pop up in front of me and say I am real and then disappear, that would send me back to believing.
What happened? Do you have a testimony on this site by chance?
Old testament, some king sacrifices his daughter, Abe being asked to sacrifice Isaac (if God knows our true heart why would ask someone to sacrifice his own son?), too much science showing at least an old earth, macro evolution, cultures in the middle of nowhere who never heard of Christ, towel of babel, but yet the langauges are totally different (meaning romance lanquages are different from Asian one which are different from native American ones etc), the vast majority of xians I know being total assholes etc
Everyone one of those items you listed have also given me pause for thought. Some I've found very clear answers for, and others I simply don't know the answer too. No one knows all the answers no matter where they fall in the continuum of belief. It would be ridiculous for me to reject Christ because I don't know all the answers.

What if some were unfaithful? Does their faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God? By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, ..."

(Rom 3:3-4)

Do you believe in the spiritual world?

finding answers to difficult scriptures can be worked out with the bible and other resources, but they will allways end up being theoretical by nature. (not a evidence based theory) So really the only way you can prove you have answers to biblical inconsistencies and difficulties, is for god to show up and tell you if your right.
If you are referring to empirical evidence than I agree, but don't fall into the trap of believing that the only valid evidence is empirical. It is simply not true. The statement, "empirical evidence is the only valid form of evidence" is self refuting. You can't empirically demonstrate the truth of this statement.
Subjective evidence is not so trust worthy, but empirical based evidence is. Like the evidence that shows us how old the universe or the earth is, that evidence can also be used to prove the bible to be unreliable in those matters.

Once you start seeing the bible as unreliable in matters like that, you natrually start to question, how far reaching does this go. Ask yourself, is the universe more than 6000 years old? Then go from there.

I don't know exactly what subjective evidence is. Take the time to understand what evidence is. A legal source would be good.

The universe is 13.5 byrs old. I'm an old earth Christian. The Bible does not teach the earth is 6000 yrs old. People have read this into the Bible. Now, I don't fault someone for believing the earth is 6000 years old. It is not bad to believe such a thing, but I don't hinge my faith on that.

If you are honestly interested listen to William Lane Craig's Defenders Pod-Casts. They are very good in this area. http://www.reasonablefaith.org/defenders-2-podcast

Listen to the sections on Creation for a good discussion of why it is reasonable for a Bible following Christian to believe the earth is old.

Subjective evidence is evidence people make up based on subjective experience.
  • Like 1

Subjective evidence is evidence people make up based on subjective experience.

That is ONE gem. In fact, that will be copy and pasted into a file I keep with other very succinct but profound sayings. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

OC only knows his own interpretation of the bible, which he presumes is the only true and valid one; why it should puzzle him that no one else sees it as he does, I don't know.  Also he seems to miss the fact that we engage him on it only on a theoretical level to humor him, not because we in any way believe or accept it.  It's just a book OC, it has no authority or transendental meaning. 

So perhaps what I should have said is "Clearly the 'new creation in Christ' stuff was all bull crap, just like a lot of other things in the Bible"?

• 3 weeks later...

Antix, is it alright if I add some more questions to this thread, since it is supposed to be questions for Christians?

OC said:

The Book of Romans is propaganda written by a con artist and then changed later by the Romans.  It goes on and on about not offending people who do not exist and not breaking the law attributed to somebody who never existed.

Still Romans is not as bad as the parts of the Bible that encourage genocide or rape.

Heh of course it's useless. Like I said above, I do it for shits and giggles tongue.png

Why do you believe and base your life on "babbling bullshit"?

Nice attempt to change topic. Geee I'm so surprised... not. It's one standard copout of morontheists confronted with something they have no memorized answer for.

Well, amuse us further morontheist. Let's see how you will evade the following...

I was referring to making claims about the supernatural, whether you call it religion or anything else. I freely admit that I have no supporting evidence for the supernatural things of my faith. Now let's hear your objective verifiable evidence supporting what your buybull says.

Oh that's right you have none. That's why you puke the same old same old bullcrap across this site, just like all other morontheists who came here and were destroyed.

To all my fellow anti-morontheists reading this... let the contest begin, place your bets! How will fuckface reply to this statement of mine?

1. not at all (no posting to reply to this one)

2. memorized buybull quote

3. cheap wordplay, trying to twist my posting out of context

4. insults and/or holier-than-thou arrogance

5. other (if you think I missed an option, please state)

This could be good... lmao_99.gif

Obviously the answer is no. 1. 

Actually I thought changing the subject would also be a strong contender.

Guest end3

All your multimillionaire evangelists who preach God is judging America for abortion and homosexuality cannot discuss facts. What say you:

1) Norway has liberal abortion laws and most people there could care less if someone is gay; so why do they have the highest standard of living in the world.

2) China has forced abortions, yet their economy has gone from 3rd world status 20 yrs ago to superpower status now.

Why Christians?

Who psays life and love are defined as "standard of living" and "superpower status".  How old are you sir......22?  Go get married, have children, live at least 25 more years and return.  Blessings.

All your multimillionaire evangelists who preach God is judging America for abortion and homosexuality cannot discuss facts. What say you:

1) Norway has liberal abortion laws and most people there could care less if someone is gay; so why do they have the highest standard of living in the world.

2) China has forced abortions, yet their economy has gone from 3rd world status 20 yrs ago to superpower status now.

Why Christians?

Who psays life and love are defined as "standard of living" and "superpower status".  How old are you sir......22?  Go get married, have children, live at least 25 more years and return.  Blessings.

I have and I think Antix has a very strong point.

• Like 1

Guest end3

Why Christians?

I have and I think Antix has a very strong point.

I don't see it MM.  Feel free to elaborate

Oklahoma has one of the strongest Christian communities in the US yet they get hit by tornados as if God has no influence.  If you look at groups of people objectify - just considering the facts - there is no significant difference between Christians and other groups.  Good things and bad things happen randomly or due to human efforts or due to inanimate circumstances.  It's not a miracle.  Plenty of atheist communities get along fine.

Guest end3

Oklahoma has one of the strongest Christian communities in the US yet they get hit by tornados as if God has no influence.  If you look at groups of people objectify - just considering the facts - there is no significant difference between Christians and other groups.  Good things and bad things happen randomly or due to human efforts or due to inanimate circumstances.  It's not a miracle.  Plenty of atheist communities get along fine.

I am understanding him equating monetary success and  influence to a particular stance on abortion.  I don't know monetary success and influence have much to do with life and love....granted they can be used as tools to help.  I assume we can only act in faith and see what happens at death.

I am understanding him equating monetary success and  influence to a particular stance on abortion.  I don't know monetary success and influence have much to do with life and love....granted they can be used as tools to help.  I assume we can only act in faith and see what happens at death.

I read that as success in spite of abortion.  Clearly God is not punishing countries that kill the unborn.  I don't see a connection to love.  In my opinion love is irrelevant to this topic.