Goodbye Jesus

The Obligatory Forum Video Game Thread.

ContraBardus

Torchlight is free on GOG until June 20th. It's DRM free and only available for 48 hours.

It's also totally worth playing and moddable, so don't miss out if you don't have it.

Gameplay is very similar to Diablo, with randomly generated dungeons, and hoards of monsters and loot.

Will run on just about anything, it was specifically designed so that even the weakest of laptops could run the game.

You can't beat free, and even if you're not a fan of the genre you should check it out. The price is right and you might enjoy it even if you didn't care for Diablo.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/torchlight

torchlight.jpg?w=1014

torchlight-grab-1.jpg

Goodbye Jesus

Oh wow!  I've never heard of GOG though... Kinda like Steam?  I liked Diablo 3 while I played it... I played it through as a Demon Hunter at first.  But yeah, Torchlight and Torchlight II have interested me I just haven't got them yet.  Maybe I could get this one for free and then Torchlight II and play through it.  I'm a fan of the genre for sure.  Lots of fun.

Oh wow!  I've never heard of GOG though... Kinda like Steam?  I liked Diablo 3 while I played it... I played it through as a Demon Hunter at first.  But yeah, Torchlight and Torchlight II have interested me I just haven't got them yet.  Maybe I could get this one for free and then Torchlight II and play through it.  I'm a fan of the genre for sure.  Lots of fun.

Yeah, kind of. They mostly deal in older games, and everything they put out is DRM free.

I buy stuff off of them all the time and I prefer to get games from them rather than Steam if possible. As I said, everything is DRM free, it's their thing there.

Not the greatest selection though, and while they do get a couple of newer titles, most of the games there are older. They do have tons of awesome stuff though, just don't expect to get Borderlands 2 or Skyrim from them any time soon.

It's worth browsing through their stuff for sure. Prices aren't bad, no DRM, and it's a great place to get those games you used to love or never got around to playing back in the day.

Yeah, kind of. They mostly deal in older games, and everything they put out is DRM free.

I buy stuff off of them all the time and I prefer to get games from them rather than Steam if possible. As I said, everything is DRM free, it's their thing there.

Not the greatest selection though, and while they do get a couple of newer titles, most of the games there are older. They do have tons of awesome stuff though, just don't expect to get Borderlands 2 or Skyrim from them any time soon.

It's worth browsing through their stuff for sure. Prices aren't bad, no DRM, and it's a great place to get those games you used to love or never got around to playing back in the day.

Excellent! Thanks!

Another Dragon Age game, open world this time apparently. Doesn't look bad, but not extremely impressive. Might be cool...maybe.

They fucked up that series with DA:2 that I am pretty skeptical of anything coming down the pipe. 

Another Dragon Age game, open world this time apparently. Doesn't look bad, but not extremely impressive. Might be cool...maybe.

They fucked up that series with DA:2 that I am pretty skeptical of anything coming down the pipe. 

Yeah, but the first one was good enough I'll keep my eye on the new one though. I'm not exactly hopeful it will be good, but I might check it out if it reviews well after it's released.

Deadpool.

d8w3.jpg

Yes, because yes.

Random TMNT reference!!

v0op.jpg

Now, I'm not a huge fan of Nolan North. He doesn't annoy me as he does as a lot of other people. He works as Deadpool even if he annoys you, because let's be honest here, Pool is supposed to be kind of annoying. In an awesome way, don't get me wrong. Unless you couldn't stand him as the character in Hulk Vs or the various Marvel video games, in which case you should avoid this, but you probably already knew that anyway if it's an issue for you.

dru.jpg

Is it a ground breaking game with amazing graphics...um...no, not really. Does Deadpool ever shut up? Why would you even ask that? What is wron... Oh, right, the 'Movie incident'. No, he doesn't shut up. We do not speak of the incident, ever. In fact, what incident? I have no idea what you mean. Anyway, your task is to help Deadpool save the tacos from the clutches of the evil Mr. Sinister, because nobody gets between a man and his hot Mexican taco lady.

It's a standard beat em up kinda like how the controls work in DMC, you know, with the guns, and the swords, and the heads coming off, and the blood, and the explosions, and the guns, and sharp stuff, and grenades, and C4, and titties, and um...chimichangas. Yeah. Pretty much if DMC is your bitch, you won't have any trouble here. There is a Batman style counter system, but it's more DMC than BM:AC.

zwlj.jpg

It's like C4 with titties, yeah, that's it.

Anyway. It's a decent brawler with decent controls, shooting mechanics that work. Nothing is annoying and you won't die because of the controls. The camera isn't great...man, I still can't believe they still haven't figured that shit out...anyway, its not game breaking. The dodge move is a teleport that sometimes confuses it and it gets a little dicey in closed quarters. You have a super awesome healing factor though...so yeah, regenerating health. That makes sense though, because it's Deadpool...which is just a weird fucking thing to say. I mean, I just played a level where I had to kidnap an evil guy that involved a bouncy house and there were a lot of sharks. Oh, and before that, Pool made like a huge buttload of pancakes.

He knows he's in a video game. The fourth wall is not just broken, but exploded with a side of fireworks and electric guitar.

So yeah, it's Deadpool. They're doing it right, unless you were into the slightly less crazy 'Old Pool' that no one but the hugest of comic book nerds would remember and bitch about anyway. He's crazy, he talks to himself, and he kills stuff while being awesome.

4yqh.jpg

Is it a great video game? No. Is it an awesome Deadpool game? Hell yes. What's the difference? I dunno...tacos maybe?

Anyway, If you like Deadpool you should play this, but not when there's kids. This ain't Marvel vs Capcom. It's like an R rated 80s action flick...but with 60% more Pool.

6dlx.jpg

It does not suck. You won't be amazed with the 'game' part of it, but the 'Deadpool' part is spot on. It's super awesome on flying tigers with fire breath with ass rainbows, explosions, and electric guitar, riding on a ninja sword, with titties while drinking a forty drawn in anime art style. Or some close approximation of that kind of shit.

Now please stop pointing that gun at my head. I'm not even a real game critic.

wovy.jpg

Edit: Well, I finished it in one sitting. Took around nine or ten hours, but I was scouring around for upgrade points and such and looking for hidden stuff.

Stayed sufficiently awesome the whole way through, 3-4 stars as a game, but 5 as a Deadpool game. There are camera issues, but it only killed me a couple of times. Lots of cameos, plenty of bewbs, and an all around good time. Deadpool fans should not miss out on this, it rocks serious ass. The gameplay was good enough I never felt stuck or frustrated and it was funny enough to keep me going through the hoards of enemies. Yes, lines repeat, but it's not too bad as he says quite a bit. He does lose his favorite bullet a lot, but there's enough new and contextual dialogue that most gamers won't hear the same lines too often.

You will see the same enemies a lot, but the main bad guy is Mr. Sinister, and his thing is cloning so it kind of makes sense. There are a few varieties of enemy types, but after they've all been introduced the game just tosses more of them at you at once. It does get a little repetitive after a while, but not so much that most will stop playing. After a certain point you start needing to use a little strategy to get through as simply trying to wade through and pummel the hoards will only get your ass spanked. Nothing serious, but you'll need to learn how to prioritize who to kill first, and do some crowd control. Choke points work well.

Tips: In the waves of enemies before fighting Mr. Sinister at the citidel, kill the two big chaingun wielding creatures close together in the area up the stairs to the far left. There is only one way in. Then use your normal guns to pick off the weaker enemies as they come up the stairs. Once you get through the 'sploding dudes, pick up the chain gun and take out the waves of tougher melee characters as they charge your position. Buying and using mines on the stairs helps with this.

Don't throw grenades, you're Deadpool and you have a healing factor. Cook them and run into groups of weaker enemies like the bomb guys from Serious Sam. It's more effective than just throwing them as enemies scatter when they notice you've thrown one.

You won't get enough points to max everything out in a single play through. Focus on a few weapons and specialize. Ignore flash bangs and bear traps. The Machine Guns and Pulse Rifle are the best firearms for clearing out annoying flying enemies and distant targets. The swords are the most balanced melee weapons, the Sai are fast and weak, and the hammers are slow and strong. The Sai are the best for getting Deadpool points as they let you build up combos, but they also make the melee fighting more difficult. I recommend sticking to the sword and maybe buying the hammers for more casual players. Only experienced players who play this sort of action game a lot should bother with the Sai.

A lot of reviews say you fight 'three of the bosses' again at the end, but in reality only two of them are actual bosses. One of them dies with just one shot and you never actually fight them in the game, so it doesn't count as a 'boss' really.

There are a couple of nice throwback surprises in there as well, I won't spoil anything, but there's a magical boat ride and some side scrolling fun along the way as well.

I recommend this game as at least a rental. It's nothing groundbreaking, but Deadpool fans [and seriously, who isn't?] must play this at least once. [Hardcore Pool fans, just go ahead and buy it.] Enemies get a bit repetitive, but on the whole it keeps things fresh enough to keep you going. Environments are creative and fun to navigate, and I didn't have any trouble navigating the platform areas, and there are a few of those. Again, it's very similar to DMC gameplay wise, but not quite as punishing.

I didn't get lost or turned around once, and it was always clear what I needed to do or where I needed to go the whole way through. There isn't a lot of exploring to do, it's not an open world game, but the environments are large enough that it doesn't feel too restricted. You are pushed along in a single direction the whole way through, but poking around in corners and out of the way places is rewarded with upgrade points most of the time. There are a few simple puzzles, but nothing seriously brain wracking, it's not that sort of game.

Definitely not for kids though. Much adult humor and extreme violence the whole way through. That's sort of Deadpool's thing to begin with. It's loud, it's violent, it's extremely immature and juvenile, and it's awesome. Highly recommended.

Mostly an RPG fan here. My favorite series would definitely be Elder Scrolls, with Morrowind and Skyrim being my favorite games from it. Currently, I'm playing Kingdom Hearts, but I also have games of Mass Effect, Morrowind, Pokemon Pearl and Dark Souls I have to get back to at some point. I don't particularly care for shooters, with the Mass Effect and Metal Gear series being exceptions. But I will admit to liking TF2, which is the only online game I play, and really the only one I'm interested in other than ES Online, which I doubt my laptop could even run.

As far as games I'd like to play, I'm more interested in old ones. I really want to play the Deadpool game, but I'll probably wait until it's about 10 or so bucks cheaper. I've never actually completed a Final Fantasy game, and I want to play 4, 7, and actually beat 10 this time around, once I get enough money. I also want to play Persona 3 and 4. And those are just the few games I can think of right now. There are a lot of games I've never had the chance to play that I want now. The only upcoming games I'd be interested in, among the ones I've heard about, are Kingdom Hearts 3 and Metal Gear Solid 5 (still haven't played 4), and of course Pokemon X/Y, (still need to play gen 5 though). And if there is a new Dragon Age game, I honestly don't care. The bad publicity I've had for 2 is enough to keep me away from it, and I didn't even like Origins as much as I remember when I tried replaying it recently.

Since finishing Tomb Raider on the PS3 (good game), I've been a bit addicted to Don't Starve on the PC.  My son bought it on Steam, but you can get it DRM-free on the website: http://www.dontstarvegame.com.

Mostly an RPG fan here. My favorite series would definitely be Elder Scrolls, with Morrowind and Skyrim being my favorite games from it. Currently, I'm playing Kingdom Hearts, but I also have games of Mass Effect, Morrowind, Pokemon Pearl and Dark Souls I have to get back to at some point. I don't particularly care for shooters, with the Mass Effect and Metal Gear series being exceptions. But I will admit to liking TF2, which is the only online game I play, and really the only one I'm interested in other than ES Online, which I doubt my laptop could even run.

As far as games I'd like to play, I'm more interested in old ones. I really want to play the Deadpool game, but I'll probably wait until it's about 10 or so bucks cheaper. I've never actually completed a Final Fantasy game, and I want to play 4, 7, and actually beat 10 this time around, once I get enough money. I also want to play Persona 3 and 4. And those are just the few games I can think of right now. There are a lot of games I've never had the chance to play that I want now. The only upcoming games I'd be interested in, among the ones I've heard about, are Kingdom Hearts 3 and Metal Gear Solid 5 (still haven't played 4), and of course Pokemon X/Y, (still need to play gen 5 though). And if there is a new Dragon Age game, I honestly don't care. The bad publicity I've had for 2 is enough to keep me away from it, and I didn't even like Origins as much as I remember when I tried replaying it recently.

You might be surprised about what can run ESO. It's not a hugely intensive game. There are probably settings for high end PCs, but most MMOs are designed to run on older and low end machines while still having bells and whistles for higher end PCs. Judging from your list of games, I'm assuming that you're playing on a console?

If that's the case, you might want to keep in mind that ESO is being released for both the Xbox 1 and the PS4. [Get a PS4, it has a better GPU and RAM setup and it's $100 cheaper. Other than that they are nearly identical hardware wise.] So if you're planning on buying one of the new consoles, you don't really need to worry about how well it will run on your laptop. You don't need to necessarily snap one up at launch either as ESO isn't coming out till at least spring of next year. So there's no hurry on that.

The recommended specs for ESO are a 2.66GHz dual core, and a GeForce 8800 GT 256MB or a Radeon HD 3870 or better. That's running at recommended specs, so about medium quality or so with that setup.

The minimum requirements are a dual core 1.6GHz processor, a GeForce Gt 529 or a Radeon HD 4350 or better.

Unless your laptop is super old or super cheap, you should be able to at least run ESO on it. Not necessarily with all the graphics options turned up, but it should run on just about anything made in the last four or five years or so. Even then I'd check and see if your processor and gpu can handle it. It's in closed Beta testing right now so the system specs have been available for a little while now. You can do that here if you'd like: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3734&game=The%20Elder%20Scrolls%20Online

I have Morroblivion loaded in currently, which turns Morrowind and Oblivion into one huge game that uses the Oblivion graphics engine. I've not played all the way through it yet, as I've currently got a heavily modded Skyrim on my HDD that I want to finish first. I've beaten the game several times, but I haven't actually finished Dawnguard yet. I keep getting sidetracked, but I'm not exactly in a hurry considering I've got close to 900 hours in the game as it is. I've kind of overpowered my dragons, it takes about 45 minutes to kill one of the dragons in my game with uber powerful weapons, and they often show up in groups of three, plus they regenerate health. I've actually got special weapons that I only use for killing dragons, because they are the finger of death for anything else in the game. Once I finish with Morroblivion and Skyrim again, I'll probably put the Sound and Graphics Overhaul in for Morrowind again seeing as it's had a major update recently. Maybe even toss the Morrowind Mega Mod on and then slap it on over it.

I should have plenty to play until ESO is released one way or the other.

Oh, and the Steam Summer Sale could be starting up any day now. I'd be keeping an eye on Steam if I was you, you might be able to snap up Deadpool [and lots of other cool stuff] for dirt cheap [My guess is 33% off, but it could be as much as 75% briefly so keep an eye out.] It should be starting soon, and they don't tell us when it begins, it just pops up one day during the summer and goes to whenever. So check up on Steam regularly just to see if you can get an awesome deal on something you want. I've been checking up on it about once a day recently, it's that time of year after all.

I haven't played Pokemon since Red, Blue, Yellow. It was fun and all, but it just didn't keep my interest after the initial run. I got kind of sick of being surrounded by it constantly. It was pretty bad in the nineties, especially since I have a younger sibling who was 'at that age' at the time.

I am looking forward to KH 3 now that it's finally been announced. I didn't get into any of the expanded card games or handheld titles, but I did play through both of the main titles and had a lot of fun with them.

I stopped caring about Metal Gear Solid after Snake Eater. Kojima is just fucking weird. I like Stealth Action type games, but Metal Gear went off the deep end a while ago and never looked back. Open world is cool, but I don't think it will make a whole lot of sense in the end. The games all start out all right, but the endings just become an overly metaphorical mess of confusion and general Japanese weirdness. I can't get excited about Metal Gear anymore, I just don't care. Kojima really lost me after MGS 2, but I stuck it out for one more title just to see if things got better. They did, but it did not get any less weird and I just gave up on it.

FFXIII was the first FF game I didn't finish. It was awful. I didn't care a whole lot for X, never played XI, and XII was cool. Not sure about XIV, maybe I'll check it out if it reviews well enough. I recommend 4 and 6, but not 7. To be honest, while 7 was amazing at the time, it hasn't really aged well. It was a great game and an important benchmark in gaming history, but going back to it isn't really worth it. It's ugly, slow, muddy, has frustrating mini games, and dated simplistic gameplay. The story makes no sense and gets extremely weird, but as an Anime fan I'm sure you're used to that. It's not really worth it unless you're nostalgic about having played it in the past. I'd actually recommend 8 or 9 over it now, despite it's reputation, both have better game design, less confusing and weird stories, and are easier to play and get into. 7 is an odd bird, it was groundbreaking at the time, but just hasn't held up over time as well as most of the other FF games.

What they showed of Dragon Age didn't impress me, but I'm still going to keep an eye on it. It's supposedly open world as well, and it might turn out decent. Though I would agree that DAO didn't age well. I did like it enough I won't completely ignore the new one though. I probably won't end up getting it though to be honest. Unless further development improves on what I've seen already a great deal, I'll probably end up ignoring it.

Thanks for the heads up on Torchlight!  I downloaded it the other night.  Haven't started it yet as I'm still playing Borderlands 2 and finishing up my Rush 750.  Speaking of Borderlands 2.  That shit has me laughing out loud at times. Not sure I've played a game that has such a humorous tone to it outside of the original Borderlands.  Good stuff.

Thanks for the heads up on Torchlight!  I downloaded it the other night.  Haven't started it yet as I'm still playing Borderlands 2 and finishing up my Rush 750.  Speaking of Borderlands 2.  That shit has me laughing out loud at times. Not sure I've played a game that has such a humorous tone to it outside of the original Borderlands.  Good stuff.

I just started the Assault on Dragon's Keep DLC, and it's epic. Enemies are tough, bring one of each damage type of elemental weapon [shock, Fire, Corrosive, and Explosive], and Eridium drops are much higher than the rest of the game. I've managed to collect tons of the stuff in a very short time. It's a great place to go if you're looking to fill out your item slots and ammo capacity.

I managed to finish The Badass Crater of Badassitude [which is awesomely funny, Mr. Torque is a riot], and Sir Hammerlock's DLC [it was amusing and fun, but I found it to be the least funny of the bunch]. I did Captain Scarlett a while ago. While awesome, you should get into Tiny Tina's DLC last, as it references events in the game and the other DLC and might spoil a bit if you do it before you finish the rest. I'm not completely through it yet, but it's been just as funny as the rest of the game so far, especially if you're into RPGs [the game kind, not the kind Mr. Torque likes] or have ever actually played a pen and paper tabletop game. Let's just say Tina isn't a very good DM. Roll for initiative suckaz.

Kind of off-topic but am I the only one who finds that the forum never shows the right posting in this thread when you want to go to the first new post since you last looked? I guess it's something about the massive amount of screenshots in here... :shrug:

Kind of off-topic but am I the only one who finds that the forum never shows the right posting in this thread when you want to go to the first new post since you last looked? I guess it's something about the massive amount of screenshots in here... Wendyshrug.gif

Yeah, any thread with a lot of images or media in it is like that. The funny pics thread, fapping thread, and funny video thread all have the same issue.

Since finishing Tomb Raider on the PS3 (good game), I've been a bit addicted to Don't Starve on the PC.  My son bought it on Steam, but you can get it DRM-free on the website: http://www.dontstarvegame.com.

Hey, those have been two of my favorite games so far this year. I've wasted too many hours on Don't Starve, and I can't even get past one world on Adventure Mode. -_-

I picked up The Last of Us a week ago, and it is pretty damned amazing so far. Think Cormac McCarthy's The Road if it were a game, with touches of Silent Hill (when it was still good) and Uncharted. 

Hey, those have been two of my favorite games so far this year. I've wasted too many hours on Don't Starve, and I can't even get past one world on Adventure Mode. sleep.png

I picked up The Last of Us a week ago, and it is pretty damned amazing so far. Think Cormac McCarthy's The Road if it were a game, with touches of Silent Hill (when it was still good) and Uncharted. 

I plan to pick up The Last of Us eventually.  I haven't even finished Uncharted 3 story mode yet.

I've been firing up the oldschool, blocky PS1 system and replaying Resident Evil 2 along with Chrono Cross. I get in an hour of Skyrim here and there. I'd like to get an original Xbox again to replay Morrowind -- I know that I've got more hours logged in that game than in any other by far and wide. I have it on PC, but for some reason I like the console version.

Concerning Dragon Age 2, I borrowed it from someone, played for about 5 or 6 hours total gameplay, and haven't picked it up since. Nowhere near the caliber of the first Dragon Age.

I've been firing up the oldschool, blocky PS1 system and replaying Resident Evil 2 along with Chrono Cross. I get in an hour of Skyrim here and there. I'd like to get an original Xbox again to replay Morrowind -- I know that I've got more hours logged in that game than in any other by far and wide. I have it on PC, but for some reason I like the console version.

Concerning Dragon Age 2, I borrowed it from someone, played for about 5 or 6 hours total gameplay, and haven't picked it up since. Nowhere near the caliber of the first Dragon Age.

I've pulled out Alien Hominid for Game Cube a few times lately.  All of the Nintendo consoles have had lots of really great games.  As far as PS1 goes, I miss Tony Hawk 2.  I may need to pick it up again or buy the reboot.

I'm assuming you like a controller for Morrowind? That's really the only reason I could see someone liking the console version more. It's a lot buggier and not near as pretty even at lower settings. [Not that it was all that pretty to begin with, but Mods, because mods.]

PC+Morrowind+gamepad+Xpadder [or some other Key Mapping program] = everything awesome about the console version but with all the benefits of the PC version.

Yes. DA 2 sucked. I don't think it was so much because it was a terrible game, but because it was such a huge step back from the first game.

I've gone and modded Skyrim again. Apparently Bethesda never finished the whole Civil War thing in their game and rushed it out unfinished for some reason. [sarcasm]I can't imagine Bethesda doing -that-![/sarcasm] They left a bunch of assets and such in the game that point to this, and someone has fixed it. Makes the whole Civil Wars story more epic, more battles in towns that were originally left out, NPCs from other factions are hostile to you, towns you own can be randomly attacked, the Imperial Army becomes more than just a bunch of white dudes and other races are included in the ranks, and you can actually lose the war. [Not compatible with Civil Unrest and requires SKSE to run.] So far it's pretty epic, though I've only just started again. It requires that you start a new game, but it's totally worth it. My latest save before I restarted was pretty much just Dragonborn being finished with nothing else done anyway.]

Can be found here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37216/?

While I was at it, I added Interesting NPCs. Which adds a buttload of new NPCs to the game. Professionally voice acted, thousands of lines of new dialogue, and new quests. Contains several new followers who have tons of contextual dialogue. Blends very well with the game as all voice acting is high quality and doesn't sound out of place with the rest of the game. This mod is cooler than I'd thought it would be. Again, requires starting a new game.

Can be found here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/8429/?

Here's a small mod that makes the Gildergreen tree regrow if you choose to plant the sapling. It's a cool little mod that adds a bit to the ambiance of Whiterun after the quest as it grows over six months of gametime into a new tree. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12254/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D12254%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Another small mod that makes the Fast travel option more usable. It takes 4x longer timescale wise to fast travel than it does to walk somewhere. This fixes that: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19389/?

This one is just for fun, but awesome. Even the Divines are tired of hearing about 'taking an arrow to the knee'. Anyone who utters the words arrow and knee in the same sentence is immediately punished by the gods with no penalty to the player: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15428//?

As an add on to this, Sheogorath doesn't like people badmouthing his Sweetrolls either: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/28001/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D28001%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Protip: Any time you add a mod to Skyrim [or any game really, but especially Bethesda games] you should start a new game. Adding mods as you play is never a good idea. Mod your game, start a new save, and stick with it until you finish. Then Mod again. The game is much more stable if you don't add or remove content as you play.

I've been firing up the oldschool, blocky PS1 system and replaying Resident Evil 2 along with Chrono Cross. 

Hey, I just played Chrono Cross recently (on my Vita). I probably enjoy it more now than I did when it first came out. 

Now I'm playing Xenogears. I have a lot of fond memories of that game, but now it puts me to sleep. Seriously, I literally play it for a few minutes before falling asleep. The story is long and convoluted, which I enjoy, it just hasn't aged quite as well as some of the other RPGs of that era, mostly due to the s--l--o--w text and poor translation. I'm still enjoying the "controversial" story line (the game tries its hardest to rip on God and religion, which was something pretty new back in the 90's when it came out). 

Weird.. FF7 was my favorite...(though there are parts they could redo for the decade - and yes it was weird - but the characters were great) I've played 10 about 4 times, just playing XII again... the only thing I don't like in FF is you get to a certain point where levelling up is just, annoying. Haven't got the others yet and have never played 4 or 6.

I miss the music of Oematsu (sp?) though.

I wish they'd remake FF7 for the PS4... but I am hoping for a Zeppelin reunion tour too   hahahahaha,

I have to get Skyrim, it's gorgeous.

I wish I had more time... I can only play a few hours a week  :(

Weird.. FF7 was my favorite...(though there are parts they could redo for the decade - and yes it was weird - but the characters were great) I've played 10 about 4 times, just playing XII again... the only thing I don't like in FF is you get to a certain point where levelling up is just, annoying. Haven't got the others yet and have never played 4 or 6.

I miss the music of Oematsu (sp?) though.

I wish they'd remake FF7 for the PS4... but I am hoping for a Zeppelin reunion tour too   hahahahaha,

I have to get Skyrim, it's gorgeous.

I wish I had more time... I can only play a few hours a week  sad.png

Nobuo Uematsu is the name you want, and he's the John Williams/Danny Elfman of video games just as much as Shigeru Miyamoto is the Walt Disney of video games. I miss his contributions to Final Fantasy.

Track down 'The Last Story' for the Wii. He composed the music for that and it's got a lot of similarities to Final Fantasy. Not surprising as it's from Mist Walker and produced by Hironobu Sakaguchi [who used to be the executive producer of Final Fantasy]. The Blue Dragon series is another place to keep up with him as he's scored all of them I believe.

He also composed the music for the upcoming games 'Fantasy Life' for the 3DS and 'Hometown Story' for the 3DS and 'mobile platforms', which I assume is Android and/or IOS. Both will be released in fall of this year.

You don't have to miss him, you just won't be hearing him in Final Fantasy games anymore. He works mostly on handheld games these days, notably the DS and 3DS.

I like FF7 as well, but I realize that it's only because I played it back when it was released. It's not a terrible game, it's just very dated and won't likely hold the attention of someone who didn't play it when it on the PS1 back when it came out for very long. I like it for nostalgic reasons, and not because it's still a good game. It's really not that impressive anymore and it didn't age well despite how amazing it was when it was released. I've actually still got my original copy of the game and one of the huge launch PS3 consoles that can play the PS1 and PS2 games without emulation because all the hardware for both systems is inside of it. I've played through it again and I had fun, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't played it before either.

I agree it had some great characters as well, but the story is horrible. It's not too bad at first, but it gets just as convoluted as a Kojima game as it progresses.

A remake of FF7 could be cool. Though, if it happens I suspect it will be on a hand held of some sort, the Vita or 3DS are more likely than the PS4. I would buy it again if it was released for a console with updated visuals and gameplay. Just making it 'HD' wouldn't be enough to sell me though. Like I said, it's not that great a game anymore, an important milestone in gaming history to be sure, but it's as outdated as mode 7 graphics for pretty much the same reasons. Nostalgia players will have fun with it, new players should retro elsewhere though, there are a lot of games that have held up much better.

oh wow.. thanks.. definitely check out the suggestions!

ya, I still have the original as well   lol,  and Silent Hill, love the game but the character control is awful.. still scary as hell. Legacy of Kain is a great game too.. but again, character control on the ps1 is horrid. (and resident evil)

ya, I'm old school.. I did enjoy the little movie: FF: Advent Children - thought they really did the characters justice.

I take it Uematsu left when Sakaguchi did?  too bad really... good team.

oh wow.. thanks.. definitely check out the suggestions!

ya, I still have the original as well   lol,  and Silent Hill, love the game but the character control is awful.. still scary as hell. Legacy of Kain is a great game too.. but again, character control on the ps1 is horrid. (and resident evil)

ya, I'm old school.. I did enjoy the little movie: FF: Advent Children - thought they really did the characters justice.

I take it Uematsu left when Sakaguchi did?  too bad really... good team.

I'm not sure if they left together or not, I think it was more a case of him going freelance after his contract with Sony ended. Though, he has worked with Mistwalker several times.

That was an awesome movie to watch. The plot didn't make much sense, but it was worth watching just for how cool it looked.

Never cared for Silent Hill or RE. It's not that I'm not into horror games, I just don't like the idea that bad controls create 'tension' and make the game scarier. That wasn't why I didn't care for them, but I always thought it was a bad excuse. Besides, a lot of games back then had shit controls, so it usually wasn't a game breaker if it didn't make the game completely unplayable. I did play through the first couple of SH and RE games, but they didn't hold my interest. I've never been creeped out or scared by a video game before anyway. The medium just doesn't work as 'scary' for me. Probably because I'm used to being able to shoot whatever jumps out at me in the face. Even when I can't, I'm so jaded by games where I can that they don't bother me much.

If you're into survival horror, check out 'Slender' which is a free download. It's got a creepy atmosphere and does a good job of being suspenseful. Be aware it's very hard and you'll die often and very quickly. It is possible to finish though.

http://slender.en.softonic.com/

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is also a cool horror game in a similar vein. Very nice atmosphere. It's one of those games that goes on sale on Steam a lot.

System requirements for both games are very low and both are worth checking out if you like a good Survival Horror jaunt.

One older SH game that I enjoyed was 'The Suffering' on the Xbox.

I suppose Doom 3 kind of counts as it's nothing like it's predecessors and much more of a SH type game. Though, it wasn't scary. I found the flashlight mechanic annoying and not 'suspense building'. Luckily, duct tape mod FTW. They actually tried to sell the flashlight thing as a 'gameplay mechanic to heighten tension' but in reality it was hardware limitations at the time the game was released. The game was beyond the current hardware and nothing could run the lighting, plus the weapon effects, and monsters all at the same time. It was actually a few months before the game could be run at maxed out settings on any hardware available. No one could do it at the game's launch, the tech just wasn't available to the public at the time. So they worked around it by forcing you to use the gun or the flashlight, but not both. Once hardware caught up, the modding community fixed the flashlight.

More Recently Dead Space was cool. The original is still the best, as DS 2 was more like Aliens to DS's Alien. A lot more monsters in a larger area and not nearly as suspenseful. It had it's moments though and was still a lot of fun. DS 3 was disappointing, as if Michael Bay took the franchise over and ignored what made the first two cool. The 'Awakening' DLC helped with that a bit, but it wasn't enough to save it.

If you want a game that will really get your nerves on edge get Demon Souls or Dark Souls. These are two games that will make you sweat. The controls work fine, but any monster in the game has the ability to spank you soundly. Death isn't as simple as just getting tossed back to a checkpoint either. It's a gruelingly hard game where making forward progress would make anyone nervous. It's not fear in the sense of being frightened by a horror story, but more related to getting killed in a split second because a dragon sneaked up behind you while you were crossing a bridge and landed on your head or that a giant rat will stick it's head out of the nearby hole in the wall and bite you in half before you can react. It will test your patience and make you very cautious about roaming about the game world very quickly. It's a game where you won't measure progress in levels, but inches.

I like survival horror, but Silent Hill and RE never really did it for me. It wasn't just the controls either, they just didn't really click with me for some reason.

You might be surprised about what can run ESO. It's not a hugely intensive game. There are probably settings for high end PCs, but most MMOs are designed to run on older and low end machines while still having bells and whistles for higher end PCs. Judging from your list of games, I'm assuming that you're playing on a console?

If that's the case, you might want to keep in mind that ESO is being released for both the Xbox 1 and the PS4. [Get a PS4, it has a better GPU and RAM setup and it's $100 cheaper. Other than that they are nearly identical hardware wise.] So if you're planning on buying one of the new consoles, you don't really need to worry about how well it will run on your laptop. You don't need to necessarily snap one up at launch either as ESO isn't coming out till at least spring of next year. So there's no hurry on that.

The recommended specs for ESO are a 2.66GHz dual core, and a GeForce 8800 GT 256MB or a Radeon HD 3870 or better. That's running at recommended specs, so about medium quality or so with that setup.

The minimum requirements are a dual core 1.6GHz processor, a GeForce Gt 529 or a Radeon HD 4350 or better.

Unless your laptop is super old or super cheap, you should be able to at least run ESO on it. Not necessarily with all the graphics options turned up, but it should run on just about anything made in the last four or five years or so. Even then I'd check and see if your processor and gpu can handle it. It's in closed Beta testing right now so the system specs have been available for a little while now. You can do that here if you'd like: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3734&game=The%20Elder%20Scrolls%20Online

I should have plenty to play until ESO is released one way or the other.

Oh, and the Steam Summer Sale could be starting up any day now. I'd be keeping an eye on Steam if I was you, you might be able to snap up Deadpool [and lots of other cool stuff] for dirt cheap [My guess is 33% off, but it could be as much as 75% briefly so keep an eye out.] It should be starting soon, and they don't tell us when it begins, it just pops up one day during the summer and goes to whenever. So check up on Steam regularly just to see if you can get an awesome deal on something you want. I've been checking up on it about once a day recently, it's that time of year after all.

I haven't played Pokemon since Red, Blue, Yellow. It was fun and all, but it just didn't keep my interest after the initial run. I got kind of sick of being surrounded by it constantly. It was pretty bad in the nineties, especially since I have a younger sibling who was 'at that age' at the time.

FFXIII was the first FF game I didn't finish. It was awful. I didn't care a whole lot for X, never played XI, and XII was cool. Not sure about XIV, maybe I'll check it out if it reviews well enough. I recommend 4 and 6, but not 7. To be honest, while 7 was amazing at the time, it hasn't really aged well. It was a great game and an important benchmark in gaming history, but going back to it isn't really worth it. It's ugly, slow, muddy, has frustrating mini games, and dated simplistic gameplay. The story makes no sense and gets extremely weird, but as an Anime fan I'm sure you're used to that. It's not really worth it unless you're nostalgic about having played it in the past. I'd actually recommend 8 or 9 over it now, despite it's reputation, both have better game design, less confusing and weird stories, and are easier to play and get into. 7 is an odd bird, it was groundbreaking at the time, but just hasn't held up over time as well as most of the other FF games.

Interesting comments. It's good to know that ESO will be on PS4 (which was the console I wanted anyway), because while my processor and RAM are very good, the integrated graphics will force me down to lower settings. And I'll keep an eye out for the Steam sale. I might still try FF7 if I can borrow it from a friend, but I've heard so many different opinions on it that I won't know what to think until I play it for myself. Convoluted anime plots don't really faze me anymore, so I doubt if that would be a problem. I'm moor concerned with possible poor game design, but I suppose I'll find out if it's still playable for me when I play it. But I will definitely buy FF4 and some of the others you mentioned if I can find them. I actually only play Pokemon for long commutes or times when I don't have access to my laptop or consoles, and since it's the only DS game I own right now, having a game I'd actually want to play at other times would be great. What I really want is a 3DS. If anyone knows of some good games for that, I'd like to put them on my wishlist. For now, it's only Ocarina of Time, some Shin Megami Tensei games, and Pokemon X/Y when the prices go down, or they release a special version or something.

In other news, I now have Persona 3, and it has been stealing pretty much all of my free time recently. For those who don't know of this series, it's essentially a life sim mixed with Pokemon on nightmare fuel. During the day you go to classes and develop friendships and at night you enter your school, which has now become a massive tower called Tartarus filled with monsters, which you fight by shooting yourself in the head with a device that summons your Persona. As your relationships become stronger, so do your Personas, and you can even make new ones. It's really a lot of fun, and well worth the 20 dollar price tag in my opinion. Just be sure to get FES, as it has a bonus story and more content for the main game. I think it's also on the PSP for those who don't have a PS2.