Goodbye Jesus

What Makes Christians In General So Arrogant And Intolerant?

AgnosticExChristianTB

When I say in general, I mean that I don't want to say all of them are, but by my experience, most certainly are.

When you debate with them, their language will slip far away from what Christianity is supposed to be and be just as secular as if you are talking to a non or weak believer.

For example, I saw today an e-mail in which some users reported a question I made on the Religion and Spirituality section of Yahoo Answers, and the question was not done in an offensive way.

Most Christians demand respect to their beliefs but they can't resist the need to let down others especially when they are supposed to be the best people in the world (in a theoretical way) but are really one of the worst.

I think that most Christians are not believers at all of any god. They just follow the status quo but deep inside they don't believe. If they did, there would be no murder, divorces, or any kind of bad thing explicitly mentioned in the bible in any Christian country. But the opposite is true.

There would be no wars, no arguments, no problems, because if they truly believe they would obey their god just like they obey their bosses in their workplace.

Goodbye Jesus

I may not be the most-qualified one to judge this (what with me never having been a cultist in that way) but from what I can deduce, yes, quite a few "christians" are really simply "followers". They bow to what to them is the right führer, and if obeying that asshole includes claiming adherence to some cult then fuck it that's what they'll do. But they don't really do it out of any (however misguided) religious conviction but just to belong. Just to be slave to the right master and thus automatically be right in everything they say and do.

There are others who at least try to take that religious thing seriously. Depending on how they approach the thing, they may end up quite similar to the slaves, or they may actually remember those parts in da wholly babble that command you to be kind and respectful. Technically it's all still adhering to nonsense but with a "genuine believer" there's a chance that she may actually be okay to have around you. :)

• Like 1

I think it's because deep down inside they realize their beliefs are bullshit, and it is a defensive mechanism.  Humans evolved to be part of a group, and religious people have very much a herd mentality.  When someone strays outside the herd, it used to signal potential danger for the group, because there is safety and strength in numbers.  The more people leave, the less safe the overall group is.  

The arrogant attitude is their way of shutting off any logical thinking in their mind that may lead them to change their view.  They have convinced themselves they are right, and everyone else is wrong.  It's the only way to quiet the cognitive dissonance and feel that their group is safer than your group.

I've noticed this stunning arrogance, too. It grates on my nerves as much as the sheer irrationality of religious argument does. So many christians talk as though others are stupid and ignorant, as though we've somehow managed to live entire lives without hearing the "good news." They raise dumb god-of-the-gaps or Pascal's wager arguments as though they've just come up with them on their own, smirking with the certainty that they've trumped any position anyone else might take.

And of course when they can't argue you out of skepticism, you can watch them marking you down as one of Satan's tools. Poor, deluded, inferior, downright EVIL you.

But then, it's natural to feel superior when you get your opinions straight from the Almighty Creator of the Universe, however imaginary he may be.

• Like 1

Having "God" on their side makes people feel superior.

"If God be for us, who can be against us".

It's a wonderful relationship where the believer creates God as they see fit, then praise their ideas about the object of their worship.

They're simply praising themselves using a surrogate.

In this magical relationship, God always agrees with the believer.

• Super Moderator

The have their own private hotline to god.  Nobody can be more "special" than that.  Or so they think  believe.  No wonder they're arrogant, intolerant egomaniacs (hiding their insecurities!).

When I say in general, I mean that I don't want to say all of them are, but by my experience, most certainly are.

When you debate with them, their language will slip far away from what Christianity is supposed to be and be just as secular as if you are talking to a non or weak believer.

For example, I saw today an e-mail in which some users reported a question I made on the Religion and Spirituality section of Yahoo Answers, and the question was not done in an offensive way.

Most Christians demand respect to their beliefs but they can't resist the need to let down others especially when they are supposed to be the best people in the world (in a theoretical way) but are really one of the worst.

I think that most Christians are not believers at all of any god. They just follow the status quo but deep inside they don't believe. If they did, there would be no murder, divorces, or any kind of bad thing explicitly mentioned in the bible in any Christian country. But the opposite is true.

There would be no wars, no arguments, no problems, because if they truly believe they would obey their god just like they obey their bosses in their workplace.

Just ask any minivan driving, mortgage paying, overtime working, iphone using Christian and they'll tell ya: We are In the world, not Of the world. haha. Just because they act like and do everything that every non-believer does doesn't mean they aren't different and special. So there. :-)

• Like 1

Subtopic: Rick Santorum. Only could someone as stupid as a box of hair still be completely arrogant as if what he's saying even is worth the time it takes to listen to it.

They know they're right and you're wrong. It's no different with Mormons or Muslims or anyone who knows that they have the secret truth about everything and you're just another sheep "gone astray".

It all gets very annoying after a while.

They are told to be arrogant. Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Least it's not the Quran telling them to kill non believers.

• Super Moderator

The believer doth protest too much.

For all the professed faith, rock solid belief and blessed assurance, the reality of unfulfilled promise nags at them.

I agree with florduh, they protest too much.I truly believe that their anger and conceit is for many of

them a defense mechanism. It is hard for them to convince themselves of the absurdities claimed by the

Christian doctrine, but they need to believe. That creates internal friction, possibly at subconscious

level, resulting in anxiety. And anxiety is common cause of anger, even rage. It's tough to push that

boulder up hill your whole life. Bottom line, they DO believe and they don't believe. But they believe at least enough to fear hell and be in denial. bill

The problem is that they are human beings. It has nothing to do with their belief system, IMHO. There are assholes in every group, and they are usually the most vocal members of the group,

There are assholes in every group, and they are usually the most vocal members of the group,

I AM NOT!!!

• Like 3

They are told to be arrogant. Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Least it's not the Quran telling them to kill non believers.

Yes, under most Christian Dogma, it is the sky fairies themselves that will kill the nonbelievers.  Plausible deniability for the adherents of the Dogma.  How convenient.

To answer your question in a single word; Insecurity

Christians, if they have the holy spirit in them are supposed to be gentle, meek, long-suffering, slow to anger - but instead, many of them are thin-skinned and in a permanent state of outrage. Can't they see the disconnect? Rather than following the large number of verses that extol gentleness, they much prefer to emulate the righteously outraged Christ who overturned the moneylenders. That's MUCH more fun.

• Super Moderator

If you had the anointing of the most holy spirit in your life and the power of the almighty god working through you, you'd be arrogant too.  Actually, scratch that.  If you were convinced that you had the anointing of the most holy spirit in your life and the power of the almighty god working through you, you'd be arrogant too.

Who can be humble believing they know all truth.

Christians are arrogant and intolerant because Christianity preaches arrogance and intolerance.

When people are told that everyone else is a sinner being influenced by satan and deserves to go to hell, they tend to develop a sense of superiority over non believers. Who would have guessed!

• Like 2

I think it might also be a condition of our contemporary society, post-Dubya/9-11. Americans in particular have been taught that it is an asset to be loud, belligerent, and intolerant as a sign of strength. If you believe something, you are passionate about it, which is unfortunately translated as "I'm going to be in your face, and if you don't like it, fuck off!" Add to that the conservative mentality that they are persecuted victims, and they're going to get even more reactionary out of fear/insecurity. They are being THREATENED, doncha know?! Soon, whites will be a minority, and this is a sign of the End Times! 

The fact that this is incompatible with the teachings of NT/Jeebus matters not.

The entire religion teaches elitism... the 'favourites' of the almighty god, not responsible for anything because they are 'forgiven', even in advance of bad behaviour.

Of course they are arrogant. Islam teaches the same thing. Judaism is a little more about conduct, but it's the root of this favoured position.

It's like being the 'golden child' in a dysfunctional family.

• Like 1

I vote insecurity, too.  Humanity is part of it, too-- they are selfish and believe God is for them so screw all the rest of you and how dare you not agree with "God" (although "god" is actually THEM and what THEY want). 

What does a person have to say in order to be judged arrogant? How do you tell the difference between confidence and arrogance?

What does a person have to say in order to be judged arrogant? How do you tell the difference between confidence and arrogance?

Confidence doesn't go shoving its views in your face.

Confidence doesn't knock on your door to tell you its opinions.

Conficence doesn't smirk when it comes up with something it thinks is clever.

Confidence doesn't feel threatened by differences of opinion.

Confidence doesn't go around telling people they should just "have faith" and not examine facts.

Confidence doesn't fear that certain numbers or forms of music or literature are so evil that they must simply be avoided.

Confidence doesn't feel the need to believe that anyone who disagrees with it deserves to burn for all eternity.

Confidence isn't so fragile that it fears that demons or devils are constantly trying to trip everybody up.

There you go. Just for starters.

• Like 4