Goodbye Jesus

What Makes Christians In General So Arrogant And Intolerant?

AgnosticExChristianTB

Christians ought to be one (united yet diverse) and the Bible refers to people of the household of faith as a collective & I'm just referring to that.

[Edit] Seems you're trying to sneak in relativistic beliefs here.

And you "ought" to be their spokesperson?  That's a vacuous rationalization.

Again, the mirror awaits you.  Makes sure you speak to it in the first person.

Well yes, let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me should apply but it does not negate the fact that the bible commands disciples to be a body of believers and to use the word as their mirror.

Please provide the Biblical reference supporting your claim that the Bible "commands disciples…to use the word as their mirror."

I was speaking of a common glass mirror, like the one in your bathroom or above your dresser.

I merely suggest that you speak in front of one, looking into your own reflected eyes and speaking in the first person.  You get extra points for prostelizing your particular brand of religion as the basis of your first person statements to yourself.

Do so if you wish, or not.  Your choice.

The problem is that they are human beings. It has nothing to do with their belief system, IMHO. There are assholes in every group, and they are usually the most vocal members of the group,

Christians ought to strive to imitate Christ's character

Too bad none of them do.

You know all Christians? I've had mainly good times in church until recent years. I attempted to be more like Jesus and it stirred up the demons in some folk. ... and I'm a shy introvert and therefore inconspicuous so it's the devils that sicced them after me.

Demons are mythological entities. They are not actually real.

That's what they want ya to think!

The problem is that they are human beings. It has nothing to do with their belief system, IMHO. There are assholes in every group, and they are usually the most vocal members of the group,

Yup! People are a mess smile.png

Plus, Christ did not come to save the righteous (there is NONE righteous). However, we Christians ought to strive to imitate Christ's character by submitting to Him.

Jesus is a MYTH. He never lived, never died, and never rose again. Good luck with imitating your made up mythical savior.

Too bad none of them do.

You know all Christians? I've had mainly good times in church until recent years. I attempted to be more like Jesus and it stirred up the demons in some folk. ... and I'm a shy introvert and therefore inconspicuous so it's the devils that sicced them after me.

Bullshit. They can't want me to think or not think anything because they don't exist. You might just as well tell me that Zeus doesn't want me to doubt his divine powers. Zeus doesn't exist either.

Give me ONE good reason (that is based in REALITY, not ancient mythology) to believe that demons are real. Good luck.

Christians ought to be one (united yet diverse) and the Bible refers to people of the household of faith as a collective & I'm just referring to that.

Well yes, let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me should apply but it does not negate the fact that the bible commands disciples to be a body of believers and to use the word as their mirror.

Please provide the Biblical reference supporting your claim that the Bible "commands disciples…to use the word as their mirror."

I was speaking of a common glass mirror, like the one in your bathroom or above your dresser.

I merely suggest that you speak in front of one, looking into your own reflected eyes and speaking in the first person.  You get extra points for prostelizing your particular brand of religion as the basis of your first person statements to yourself.

Ah, another wooden/literalistic lion. You were being literal but the bible speaks figuratively. A mirror shows us our physical defects whereas  a figurative mirror (God's law) shows us our sins (moral defects).

Yes, I agree with you! Believers ought to be introspective and contemplative (on the biblical themes)

Glad you acknowledge that I have a choice, how NOT arrogant of you smile.png

• Super Moderator

So, Thumbelina, what about this hypocrisy thing?  No response?

Ah, another wooden/literalistic lion. You were being literal but the bible speaks figuratively. A mirror shows us our physical defects whereas  a figurative mirror (God's law) shows us our sins (moral defects).

Yes, I agree with you! Believers ought to be introspective and contemplative (on the biblical themes)

They were your words, not mine.  This is why they were in quotes. They are repeated again below, this time is a larger font for your easy reference.

Second request:

"Please provide the Biblical reference supporting your claim that the Bible "commands disciples…to use the word as their mirror."

Too bad none of them do.

Demons, in your church? Wow.

Too bad none of them do.

The demons are as silent and absent as Jesus is silent and absent.

• Like 1

Too bad none of them do.

But they love you right? I had the same problem when I tried to break out of the mould for jesus. I admire your desire to be free in your faith but it can also mean the end of it.

[Edit] Seems you're trying to sneak in relativistic beliefs here.

And you "ought" to be their spokesperson? That's a vacuous rationalization.

Again, the mirror awaits you. Makes sure you speak to it in the first person.

I merely suggest that you speak in front of one, looking into your own reflected eyes and speaking in the first person. You get extra points for prostelizing your particular brand of religion as the basis of your first person statements to yourself.

Do so if you wish, or not. Your choice.

Ah, another wooden/literalistic lion. You were being literal but the bible speaks figuratively. A mirror shows us our physical defects whereas a figurative mirror (God's law) shows us our sins (moral defects).

They were your words, not mine. This is why they were in quotes. They are repeated again below, this time is a larger font for your easy reference.

Second request:

"Please provide the Biblical reference supporting your claim that the Bible "commands disciples…to use the word as their mirror."

There's only one verse I know

James 1 v 22

22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

They were your words, not mine. This is why they were in quotes. They are repeated again below, this time is a larger font for your easy reference.

Second request:

James 1 v 22

22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

Thank you.  That's close, and perhaps that what what Thumbelina was referring to.  But it is not quite relevant to the "mirror" of my post.

I asked Thumbelina to change her statements into the first person and read them in front of a mirror to herself.  It is an exercise in humility, honesty and honor and is an actual physical exercise. i.e., I actually speak in front of a mirror, looking at myself, and speaking in the first person.

Your Biblical passage uses the mirror as a mere analogy to the Biblical claim that if you do not do what the "word" says, you will suffer or some other such calamity.

Your quoted Biblical verse is (if you read around that verse in context) yet another disguised command to 'Do as I say, not as I do.'

• Super Moderator

Second request:

James 1 v 22

Thank you.  That's close, and perhaps that what what Thumbelina was referring to.  But it is not quite relevant to the "mirror" of my post.

I asked Thumbelina to change her statements into the first person and read them in front of a mirror to herself.  It is an exercise in humility, honesty and honor and is an actual physical exercise. i.e., I actually speak in front of a mirror, looking at myself, and speaking in the first person.

Your Biblical passage uses the mirror as a mere analogy to the Biblical claim that if you do not do what the "word" says, you will suffer or some other such calamity.

Your quoted Biblical verse is (if you read around that verse in context) yet another disguised command to 'Do as I say, not as I do.'

I'd wager that Thumbelina understood perfectly what you were requesting of her and why you were requesting it.  I'd also wager that she quickly realized that she might not like the outcome of this "excercise in humility", given the topic currently under discussion.  Everything that has passed between yourself and her since the request was made, on her part, has reeked of redirection and evasion.  She's hoping you'll eventually go away; I hope you won't.

Second request:

James 1 v 22

I'd wager that Thumbelina understood perfectly what you were requesting of her and why you were requesting it.  I'd also wager that she quickly realized that she might not like the outcome of this "excercise in humility", given the topic currently under discussion.  Everything that has passed between yourself and her since the request was made, on her part, has reeked of redirection and evasion.  She's hoping you'll eventually go away; I hope you won't.

Well, I can only suggest that Thumbelina do the mirror exercise, which is really nothing more than ingesting a bit of Gestalt psychology.

As to perseverance, I quickly tire of disingenuous and/or delusional theists.  I need to develop more patience with them.