Goodbye Jesus

What Makes Christians In General So Arrogant And Intolerant?

AgnosticExChristianTB

I have to be honest, I don't trust any Christian. The word Christian has eventually meant to me nothing but disappointment, arrogance, intolerance, bigotry, hypocrisy, falsehood, weakness and naivete.

Yup.  The moment I learn someone is a believing christian I write them off.  I once went into a business partnership with 2 christians (it was short term and benefited me as well as them), and they disappeared, shut of their phones, and left me with a $1,200 bill they were responsible for.  I had thought these guys were sincere, but they really just used my situation to improve their lot then bent me over when it was their time to help me.

But they are forgiven already.  I wonder how they sleep at night.

• Super Moderator

I have to be honest, I don't trust any Christian. The word Christian has eventually meant to me nothing but disappointment, arrogance, intolerance, bigotry, hypocrisy, falsehood, weakness and naivete.

Same for me (and it's based on experience).  If a business flaunts the christian fish on their advertising, vehicles, etc., to me it's like this and I avoid them like the plague:

The problem is that they are human beings. It has nothing to do with their belief system, IMHO. There are assholes in every group, and they are usually the most vocal members of the group,

Yup! People are a mess smile.png

Plus, Christ did not come to save the righteous (there is NONE righteous). However, we Christians ought to strive to imitate Christ's character by submitting to Him.

I'm now having bad experiences with fellow believers, they're making me angry but I have to learn not to fret myself because of evildoers, to be angry and sin not, to be longsuffering and to forgive.

The problem is that they are human beings. It has nothing to do with their belief system, IMHO. There are assholes in every group, and they are usually the most vocal members of the group,

Plus, Christ did not come to save the righteous (there is NONE righteous). However, we ought to strive to imitate Christ's character by submitting to Him.

Speak for yourself.

Here, repeat this in front of a mirror:

"Plus, Christ did not come to save me. However, I ought to strive to imitate Christ's character by submitting to Him."

Plus, Christ did not come to save the righteous (there is NONE righteous). However, we Christians ought to strive to imitate Christ's character by submitting to Him.

Speak for yourself.

"Plus, Christ did not come to save me. However, I ought to strive to imitate Christ's character by submitting to Him."

What are you getting' at, Smarty pants?

I think I saw what you're referring to and I put the correction in red ;)

Speak for yourself.

What are you getting' at, Smarty pants?

I think I saw what you're referring to and I put the correction in red wink.png

There is more humility, honesty and honor in speaking only for myself and not speaking for others.

You should try it sometime.

The mirror awaits you.

• Like 1

Christians ought to be one (united yet diverse) and the Bible refers to people of the household of faith as a collective & I'm just referring to that.

[Edit] Seems you're trying to sneak in relativistic beliefs here.

They are told to be arrogant. Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Least it's not the Quran telling them to kill non believers.

"Every creature"? I think I'd be happier if they were preaching to crocodiles and great white sharks.

You see, confidence does not build caricatures and strawmen to rail against. I don't think you thought through your words. You simply wanted to eject anti-Christian insults.

What caricatures and strawmen? I'm talking about people with whom I've had experience.

Your conclusion that I "simply wanted to eject anti-Christian insults" is a perfect example of precisely the kind of arrogance we've been talking about here.

Please reread my post and tell me how someone knocking on your door demonstrates a lack of confidence. That is utterly silly.

Tell me how you can tell I'm arrogant as opposed to confident?

Well, for starters, you have gone entire threads without answering the questions heaved at you and you have continued to spout nonsense despite any rational evidence presented to you. I think that qualifies as arrogant.

Does a doctor who tells you a shaman's diagnosis is wrong demonstrate arrogance? 

Interesting that you would suggest that a doctor is more qualified than a shaman. Essentially, that is the same as saying that a scientist with facts trumps a religious person who has none. Odd stance for you to take since you don't believe that to be the case.

• Like 1

I, however, am also an anti-theist... I AM against religion, and christianity in particular because it's what I have to live in, culturally and politically, and I see it as harmful. (Though Islam comes a very close second) My personal atheism is a separate issue.

Your personal atheism? How is your atheism different from an atheist's atheism? lol

So, you ignore her statement and glom on the phrase "personal atheism" and you want people to take you seriously? 

Christians ought to strive to imitate Christ's character

Too bad none of them do.

Plus, Christ did not come to save the righteous (there is NONE righteous). However, we ought to strive to imitate Christ's character by submitting to Him.

Speak for yourself.

Exactly. That's not arrogant at all, is it?...

• Super Moderator

They are told to be arrogant. Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Least it's not the Quran telling them to kill non believers.

"Every creature"? I think I'd be happier if they were preaching to crocodiles and great white sharks.

Or crocaducks!  Where are Ray and Kirk when you need them?

Too bad none of them do.

You know all Christians? I've had mainly good times in church until recent years. I attempted to be more like Jesus and it stirred up the demons in some folk. ... and I'm a shy introvert and therefore inconspicuous so it's the devils that sicced them after me.

Christians ought to be one (united yet diverse) and the Bible refers to people of the household of faith as a collective & I'm just referring to that.

And you "ought" to be their spokesperson?  That's a vacuous rationalization.

Again, the mirror awaits you.  Makes sure you speak to it in the first person.

Well yes, let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me should apply but it does not negate the fact that the bible commands disciples to be a body of believers and to use the word as their mirror.

• Super Moderator

Too bad none of them do.

You know all Christians? I've had mainly good times in church until recent years. I attempted to be more like Jesus and it stirred up the demons in some folk. ... and I'm a shy introvert and therefore inconspicuous so it's the devils that sicced them after me.

According to your Interests: I'm attracted to bothering atheist types atm.  This demonstrates that you have already type-cast all atheists to fit into one standard mold in your mind.  Now you're going to call Slave2Six out for type-casting christians according to the ones he's had dealings with?

In a word: hypocrisy.

Too bad none of them do.

OK. I'll bite. Name one Christian who strives to imitate Christ, miracles and all.

Too bad none of them do.

According to your Interests: I'm attracted to bothering atheist types atm.  This demonstrates that you have already type-cast all atheists to fit into one standard mold in your mind.  Now you're going to call Slave2Six out for type-casting christians according to the ones he's had dealings with?

In a word: hypocrisy.

Nice. Thanks for having my back bro! 

I thought the whole atheist thing was simply a lack of belief. So you have specific reasons for not believing as opposed to lacking bielf?

I agree with Ravenstar. OC, that statement/question you just laid out there doesn't even make sense. It's a combination of words and "thoughts" no reasoning person would come up with.

I seldom ever venture into the Lion's Den and I'm taking myself out of here ASAP. Differences of opinion can be challenging, educational, instructive, and a world of other good things. But the major reason I generally avoid debating with christians is that the ones who most want to engage are so utterly incapable of logic and so often come up with "arguments" that are the verbal equivalent of leftover mush. That quote right up there is a classic example.

The position of modern atheism is that atheism is a lack of belief and not a positive act of disbelief. If you think that makes no sense, I agree, which is one of the reasons I think modern atheism is often incoherent. She seemed to be saying she engaged in active disbelief meaning she had specific defensible claims of disbelief.

There are some atheists who positively assert that there are no gods. That's called strong atheism. Most atheists, I think though, simply find no persuasive reason(s) to believe in a god or gods.

If you want an incoherent belief system, look at Christianity. There are thousands of different flavors of Christian beliefs, all of them supposedly "true". That's what I would call incoherent! Glory!

• Like 1

Too bad none of them do.

Demons are mythological entities. They are not actually real.

My sister, me, other relatives & Christians etc. We didn't get into the majors like Jesus but we've seen His Providences so we can't  doubt him.

Well yes, let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me should apply but it does not negate the fact that the bible commands disciples to be a body of believers and to use the word as their mirror.

Good luck with that. The Bible contains so many contradictions (hundreds of them), that it is impossible to use it as any kind of reliable mirror.