Goodbye Jesus

Why Was Richard Dawkins Unable To Explaint The Origin Of The Universe?

sandiego4me

I recently watched a debate involving Richard Dawkins and a Roman Catholic priest (
).  During the debate, Dawkins was asked to explain how the universe came out of nothing (Starting at 21:00 of the debate).  Dawkins had no plausible explanation.   While trying to grasp for answers, here is what he said:

“Of course it’s counter intuitive that you can get something from nothing.  Of course common sense doesn’t allow you to get something from nothing . . . Something pretty mysterious had to give rise to the origin of the universe.”

“Scientists are trying to explain how you can get the immense complexity of the world, the universe, of and of life, and science is making a pretty good fist of doing this.  Physicists are still working on the origins of the universe.”

“It’s a very mysterious question.” 

Dawkins finally attempted to answer the question by quoting a friend of his, Lawrence Krauss.  Dawkins said, “

“When you have matter and anti-matter and you put them together, they cancel each other out and give rise to nothing.  What Lawrence Krauss is proposing is that if you start with nothing, then the process can be reversed and produce matter and anti-matter.  The theory is still being worked out.  It’s a very difficult theory.  I’m not qualified to answer the question.  But what I am sure about is it most certainly is not solved by postulating a creative intelligence [created the universe] which raises an even bigger question about his existence.”

Dawkins concluded by saying, 

“We are all struggling to explain how we get the fantastic order and complexity of the universe out of very simple beginnings” (i.e., out of nothing). 

That was the gist of his answer.   In short, he was proposing that matter and anti-matter collided and morphed into nothing (presumably hiding themselves from view), then later (apparently) exploded into life.  This hardly explained anything, as things that don’t exist cannot collide with each other. 

Be that as it may, I found it fascinating that such a renowned evolutionists had no real answer.  It was like a presidential candidate being asked, “Why should be vote for you?” and the candidate not being prepared to answer.  

Does it not bother you that there is no scientific explanation for the origin of the universe?  I would like some honest discussion about this topic, not the typical hate-filled, expletive-laden retorts.  For those who actually think about these things, doesn’t the lack of a scientific explanation for the most important event in history concern you?    Since there is no scientific explanation for the origin of the universe, what is that most of you believe started the universe?

zzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzz

Come back when you have something of importance to say. Not that you'll ever do so because all you get in your cult brainwashing sessions is the same old same old.

I can't be arsed to explain anything to a willfully brainfucked morontheist anymore. Not unless it promises to be fun somehow.

I forgot...:

Does it not bother you that there is no scientific explanation for the origin of the universe?

No. Now get lost.

I would like some honest discussion about this topic, not the typical hate-filled, expletive-laden retorts.

Says a morontheist who offers the same old same old bigotry and bullshit. Does "garbage in, garbage out" sound familiar to you?

Post something meaningful and you may even get good replies. Stop insulting our intelligence.

• Like 1

zzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzz

Come back when you have something of importance to say. Not that you'll ever do so because all you get in your cult brainwashing sessions is the same old same old.

I can't be arsed to explain anything to a willfully brainfucked morontheist anymore. Not unless it promises to be fun somehow.

Dude, everytime I see you post it's usually filled with every condescending, expletive-laden response available.  Noticeably, you couldn't answer the same simple question that had Dawkins flummoxed.    In layman's terms, why don't you take a stab at the question that Dawkins couldn't answer:  How does something come out of nothing?  Bonus points if you can answer the question without making reference to God.  

Right.  But if Dawkins had said that an Invisible Pink Unicorn had made the universe using magic words then that would have been a proper explanation.  No wait, it's only a proper explanation if Yahweh did it using magic words.

Science starts with "I don't know" and if we still don't know there is no shame in admitting that.

• Like 6

We're still trying to work out the origins of the universe, and Richard Dawkins is a biologist, not a physicist.  Would you ask your plumber what kind of aggregate you need to mix into the concrete for your new sidewalk?

• Like 7

Right.  But if Dawkins had said that an Invisible Pink Unicorn had made the universe using magic words then that would have been a proper explanation.  No wait, it's only a proper explanation if Yahweh did it using magic words.

Science starts with "I don't know" and if we still don't know there is no shame in admitting that.

Whether you know it or not, the entire foundation for evolution requires this question to be answered.  I find it fascinating that people just skirt over this question, as if it has no relevance.  Again, I'm not asking folks to believe in God.  I'm just trying to get them to think about why they really believe evolution and whether there is any proof to support its ultimate origins.   

We're still trying to work out the origins of the universe, and Richard Dawkins is a biologist, not a physicist.  Would you ask your plumber what kind of aggregate you need to mix into the concrete for your new sidewalk?

Dawkins wrote the foreward for Krauss's book.  He clearly has more-than a working knowledge of physics.   Regardless, I have yet to hear of any person (physicist or biologist) answer this very basic question.  Forget about God.  How do you explain the origins of the universe when there once was nothing? 

why don't you take a stab at the question that Dawkins couldn't answer:  How does something come out of nothing?

Why would I try to explain anything to a willfully ignorant morontheist? Anyone who has eyes to read can see how you ignore everything that doesn't fit your jebus-centered worldview, why would I waste time and words by effectively trying to talk reason into a brick wall?

You are not here to get any real answers to any questions. You are here because your cult pumped that bullshit into your head that you just need to walk into a horde of Evil Athiests™, say some magic words and boom, all (re-)convert. Did you ever try to measure the distance between you and reality? Dare to guess how many millions of lightyears it might be?

It's simple really. You act like an asshole (for example, by ignoring the mountain of other threads on this site that dealt with exactly the same things already) and you get treated like an asshole.

• Like 2

why don't you take a stab at the question that Dawkins couldn't answer:  How does something come out of nothing?

Why would I try to explain anything to a willfully ignorant morontheist? Anyone who has eyes to read can see how you ignore everything that doesn't fit your jebus-centered worldview, why would I waste time and words by effectively trying to talk reason into a brick wall?

You are not here to get any real answers to any questions. You are here because your cult pumped that bullshit into your head that you just need to walk into a horde of Evil Athiests, say some magic words and boom, all (re-)convert. Did you ever try to measure the distance between you and reality? Dare to guess how many millions of lightyears it might be?

It's simple really. You act like an asshole (for example, by ignoring the mountain of other threads on this site that dealt with exactly the same things already) and you get treated like an asshole.

Noticeably, you did not answer the ultimate question.  Can you take a stab at it?   

And now I'll vanish toward my workplace, just so you have no right to claim I'm running from your bullshit when I stop responding now.

Noticeably, you did not answer the ultimate question.  Can you take a stab at it?

Give me a reason to believe that I might get a reasonable response out of you and I might just try. You've got quite a few hours to work up a plan for it while I go earning my living.

i created the universe. i am the origin of universe,,,m

next question

Whether you know it or not, the entire foundation for evolution requires this question to be answered. 

No it doesn't.  I know this has been explained to you before.  Your inability to understand biology is not evidence of God.

Most people recognize evolution because it is the best explanation for all of the observations we have made in biology and it allows us to make useful predictions in science.

The origin of the universe is irrelevant to evolution.  It does not matter if the Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe through dance or if Odin smacked the universe into existence with a hammer.  The universe is here.  Life on Earth is here.  How organisms interact is observed.  Evolution is about how those organism adapt over time.  This is true.

Other scientists will work on the other problem and maybe they will make progress but that has nothing to do with evolution. 

And now I'll vanish toward my workplace, just so you have no right to claim I'm running from your bullshit when I stop responding now.

Why doesn't it surprise me that you can't answer my question?  

i created the universe. i am the origin of universe,,,m

next question

Yes, what did you eat before you created the universe!

Why doesn't it surprise me that you have no objective evidence that there ever was nothing?

• Like 1

Whether you know it or not, the entire foundation for evolution requires this question to be answered. 

No it doesn't.  I know this has been explained to you before.  Your inability to understand biology is not evidence of God.

Most people recognize evolution because it is the best explanation for all of the observations we have made in biology and it allows us to make useful predictions in science.

The origin of the universe is irrelevant to evolution.  It does not matter if the Flying Spaghetti Monster create the universe through dance or if Odin smacked the universe into existence with a hammer.  The universe is here.  Life on Earth is hear.  How organisms interact is observed.  Evolution is about how those organism adapt over time.  This is true.

Other scientists will work on the other problem and maybe they will make progress but that has nothing to do with evolution. 

Your observation is incorrect.  If we came across a large office building that appeared to be altered in certain areas, it would be perfectly okay to say, "It looks like somebody made some changes to this building."   That is evolution. However, the immense elephant in the room would be, "Who cares about whether changes have occurred to the building.  Where did the building come from?"   You cannot talk about changes to a building without explaining where the building came from.

Why doesn't it surprise me that you have no objective evidence that there ever was nothing?

My good man, have you read Einstein and Hubble?  In short, their scientific discoveries conclusively established a starting point for matter and everything in the universe.  This was roughly 13.7 billion years ago.  This is scientific fact.  Yes, actual, physical fact.   Did you honestly not know this?

Your observation is incorrect.  If we came across a large office building that appeared to be altered in certain areas, it would be perfectly okay to say, "It looks like somebody made some changes to this building."   That is evolution. However, the immense elephant in the room would be, "Who cares about whether changes have occurred to the building.  Where did the building come from?"   You cannot talk about changes to a building without explaining where the building came from.

If you choose to be willfully ignorant that is your business.  But you didn't stump anybody by refusing to see.

People are working on the origin of the universe.  They might make progress.  So far they do not have enough for a definitive answer.  But evolution is a very different story.  We have enough data that we can tell what is going on.

Give me a reason to believe that I might get a reasonable response out of you and I might just try. You've got quite a few hours to work up a plan for it while I go earning my living.

How many times can you avoid answering the question?  You are so rife with intelligence that this should be easy for you.   Stop cursing, stop claiming to be working, and give me a simple answer to this question.  

My good man, have you read Einstein and Hubble?  In short, their scientific discoveries conclusively established a starting point for matter and everything in the universe.  This was roughly 13.7 billion years ago.  This is scientific fact.  Yes, actual, physical fact.   Did you honestly not know this?

Oh, not this garbage again.  BAA clearly showed you how wrong you were in another of your annoyingly repetitive threads. 

By the way, it STILL stinks.

Christians love science from the mid 20th century.  They hate science from the 21st century.  Well we have learned a few things in the last 60 years.  Again if you choose willful ignorance that is your problem.

• Like 1

If you choose to be willfully ignorant that is your business.  But you didn't stump anybody by refusing to see.

People are working on the origin of the universe.  They might make progress.  So far they do not have enough for a definitive answer.  But evolution is a very different story.  We have enough data that we can tell what is going on.

"People are working on the origin of the universe."  Who are these people? What are they working on?  Do you know ANY of their theories?  Doesn't that trouble you that you quite literally have no explanation for the origin of the building?  Yes, the paint inside the building may have changed, or furniture been moved.  But this is small potatoes compared to where the heck the building came from.  Again, negative references to God does nothing to answer the question that I have posed. 

Christians love science from the mid 20th century.  They hate science from the 21st century.  Well we have learned a few things in the last 60 years.  Again if you choose willful ignorance that is your problem.

How about you tell me what has been learned in the last 60 years?  Why is this so difficult if the answer is so obvious?