Goodbye Jesus

The Christian God = The Ultimate Troll

Roz

So god was just "going along with the times?"

Doesnt sound like a moral authority to me.

That is where the context argument falls of the rails. If god was adapting to the culture of that time which allowed slavery etc rather than correcting it, well then he is NOT a moral authority. We are.

It depends.  For important things like "which god will you worship first?" Yahweh had a strong opinion.  "ME!  YOU WILL WORSHIP ME FIRST OR ELSE I WILL KILL YOU!"

But when it came to unimportant things like never having sex with a woman without her permission Yahweh didn't want to rock the boat because humans are stubborn so Yahweh didn't say anything at all.

"BUT I WILL KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T WORSHIP ME BEFORE ALL THE OTHER GODS!"

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

the abrahamic "god" the most horrible atrocity to infect the world, while not even existing

No, it's something called context, and none of you understand what it means. I would explain further, but you can't seem to fathom it. God doesn't have a bad side. If you were more receptive to context, I would be able to explain it, but all I meet is hot resistance.

I'm not sure what the context could ever be where babies should die in a great flood killing 99% of the population?

Where is the context for original sin? I didnt eat the fruit, Adam and Eve did. Why am I supposedly cursed then? God has a lousy justice system.

Why did God have to kill some guy to wipe away the original sin that I never committed? Because God of the bible is bloodthirsty? (Or the writer of that age was bloodthirsty). 

When you say 'context' you really mean 'blind acceptance of scripture.'

We understand context, we just don't accept these bibilical ideas because they are absurd.

Looks like the Christian Framework tactic didnt work out so we're back to the standard 'Jesus is perfect' and 'you just dont understand' arguments. On behalf of Wololo I'd like to also say that the scriptures have been veiled from you all. Wololo, like Thumbelina and other Christians here have the true, unique understanding of the bible, even if they all are from different denominations and spew different doctrine. We've already heard the 'his mysterious ways' answer to God's crimes against humanity. From here we'll be exploring the 'you never were a true Christian' fallacy and be delving into the 'definitions of words' and 'mistranslations of Greek words and phrases in the bible' (if we havent already). We will lightly sprinkle it with 'the bible is the literal word of God!' while at the same time rounding it out with "that's just a parable, allegory or moral teaching. It didnt literally happen....duhhh."

• Like 2

Guest afireinside

The Bible is dark, it's a blackboard. We've written on that blackboard with white chalk that reads "BULLSHIT". Christians come along and can't erase the chalk so they merely run their fingernails down the blackboard and make a hideous screech.

• Like 2

The Bible is dark, it's a blackboard. We've written on that blackboard with white chalk that reads "BULLSHIT". Christians come along and can't erase the chalk so they merely run their fingernails down the blackboard and make a hideous screech.

well said

No, it's something called context, and none of you understand what it means. I would explain further, but you can't seem to fathom it. God doesn't have a bad side. If you were more receptive to context, I would be able to explain it, but all I meet is hot resistance.

So, Wololo, I notice that people have made legitimate comments that call for some "splainin'" , and at least one person (Redneck Professor post #9) has posed a question that deserves an answer.  Take a look at my comments, and at midniterider's comments.  If there was room for misunderstanding, if indeed there were some way for an omnipotent entity to murder every baby on the face of the earth and still not have a bad side (because of "context"), then it would demand an explanation from you, wouldn't you say?  It is a cop out as well as an arrogant insult for you to declare we don't understand context and then pre-emptively bow out at the beginning of the thread.  The truth is, Wololo, is that you can't defend this because it is sick, twisted, and completely indefensible.  And frankly, I haven't been paying enough attention to your other posts to know whether this is your normal modus operandi or not.

And you know what?  If you came out with apologetics over context that actually had validity, I would graciously acknowledge that you were right.  Don't get your hopes up, though, because in the 30 years since I deconverted, and even back before then, I've heard countless claims and defences from christians like you, and they were all mental gymnastics.  Every last one of them.  At least many of the other ones would make their cases, even if they could be shot down like so many fish in a barrel.  And the interests you list for your profile are "discussion and debate?"  Really?  I have to say I can't even fathom why you are here.  Crap like that is just a troll statement.  And in the event that your motive is some misguided need to fulfill the great commission, you're not doing a very good job if you won't even attempt to defend your assertion that your god doesn't have a bad side in spite of the genocidal tantrums attributed to him. 

Shame on you, Wololo.
  • Like 3

Look, we are all here are ex-c

We learned and taught about the contexts

Some of us is bible scholars and ex pastors, I bet they know more about bible contexts than you are because that is their speciality

Bible context must be considered from what is on the bible, history, culture, lifestyle, etc not what is in your head

Exactly, it's not what is in your head...our opinions.

Taking verses out of context and

shouting accusations about how "bad" God is injecting your thoughts.

Some of us is bible scholars and ex pastors, I bet they know more about bible contexts than you are because that is their speciality

Bible context must be considered from what is on the bible, history, culture, lifestyle, etc not what is in your head

It doesn't work that way.  The closer you examine the Bible the more flaws you find.  Christians don't see it because the religion deludes them.  But as ex-Christians we have experienced what it is like to have our delusion get dispelled.  And then we can finally look at the Bible in context.  We don't have to tell ourselves that we are crazy when the Bible states bad things, silly things, contrary things or down right evil things.

It's not injecting our thoughts.  It is the thoughts of the thousands of editors and who knows how many authors wrote the Bible.

I don't think god is "bad"... I don't have a good reason to think he exists.  

I think the god that the biblical authors invented shows immoral characteristics, but he's just a character in a book.  

• Like 1

What damn context?  An omnipotent being.. timeless, would have no damn context - it would be beyond context.. beyond the ages. It would be crystal clear and pertinent for all… of any time.

If an omnipotent and omnipresent being can't write to all the ages.. then it surely is not omnipotent, nor omniscient, nor omnipresent… I call bullshit.

GOD.. at least the Yahweh of the Bible, is a fucking monster.. genocide, slavery, misogyny, blood sacrifice, incest, rape, and on and on and on. There's no excuse in the world that works here. I have more morality and compassion, and I'm FAR from perfect.

You can pretty it up with modern concepts of a hippie god of love… but the texts do NOT back it up. If you think it does then PROVE it.

I've studied the Bible for a good 35 years… not seeing it.

• Like 5

• Super Moderator

Ironhorse, I posed this question to WoeLOL but he ran off into the hills before answering it.  Perhaps you'd like to give it a whirl.

Could you please define the word "context" and explain to us what you think we, as ex-christians, don't understand about it?

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

~2 Chronicles 7:14

I've heard this many times (especially on Christian TV) but the passage was not given to Christians. In context (and time period) the passage applies to Israel.

You really have to rip it out of context to apply it to Christians in America today.

• Super Moderator

Ironhorse, I posed this question to WoeLOL but he ran off into the hills before answering it.  Perhaps you'd like to give it a whirl.

Could you please define the word "context" and explain to us what you think we, as ex-christians, don't understand about it?

• Super Moderator

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

I've heard this many times (especially on Christian TV) but the passage was not given to Christians. In context (and time period) the passage applies to Israel.

You really have to rip it out of context to apply it to Christians in America today.

I'm waiting for an answer to my question.

Ironhorse, what's your point?

You've taken one verse out of the entire OT… and?

One question please. 

• Super Moderator

One question please. 

Perhaps you didn't hear me over the sound of your own awesomeness.  Could you please define the word "context" and explain to us what you think we, as ex-christians, do not understand about it?

• Super Moderator

^^^So, you ducked out tonight without answering this question despite specifically asking which question I had asked?  Low, TinPony, even by your standards, that was low.

Crickets, Ironhorse?

There, ladies and gentlemen, is the response that is supposed to that is supposed to do no more than simply describe our misunderstanding of biblical context from the God Squad backup defense team.

I don't suppose you'd care to take up other points from this thread and explain why the god of genocidal rampage portrayed in the OT doesn't have a bad side, either, huh?

I dunno, IH, I'd have expected that you would do better if you really knew the TruthTM and we are all deluded.  Given that you are ambassadors of TruthTM, I'd say it's very curious indeed that we can give cogent responses while you and Wololo have only managed to take cover and duck, wouldn't you?

• Like 1

He seems to have evaporated under the pressure of this thread and being conclusively shown that christianity spread largely through force and violence. (He tried to answer that by unsupported denial of the facts which, no surprise, didn't fly.)

Just like all those "prophecies" of jesus in the OT that have nothing to do with him?

He seems to have evaporated under the pressure of this thread and being conclusively shown that christianity spread largely through force and violence. (He tried to answer that by unsupported denial of the facts which, no surprise, didn't fly.)

This is IH, once he's trounced he's just going to:

1.  troll another question

2.  troll another thread

3.  post in his sunday nonsense thread

4.  pray to jesus to bring more christians here

I too hope Jesus sends more Christians here.  But Jesus does not cooperate very much.  Maybe Jesus is afraid?

God has no bad side? Are you actually serious?

Deuteronomy 20:13-14 13 And when the Lord thy God hath delivered it into thine hands, thou shalt smite every male thereof with the edge of the sword:

14 But the women, and the little ones, and the cattle, and all that is in the city, even all the spoil thereof, shalt thou take unto thyself; and thou shalt eat the spoil of thine enemies, which the Lord thy God hath given thee.

Joshua 6:21 And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 8: 22-25

22 And the other issued out of the city against them; so they were in the midst of Israel, some on this side, and some on that side: and they smote them, so that they let none of them remain or escape.

23 And the king of Ai they took alive, and brought him to Joshua.

24 And it came to pass, when Israel had made an end of slaying all the inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness wherein they chased them, and when they were all fallen on the edge of the sword, until they were consumed, that all the Israelites returned unto Ai, and smote it with the edge of the sword.

25 And so it was, that all that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai.

That's just a very small sample of the mass murder God is depicted as either ordering or directly committing in the Old Testament. In the New Testament, read Acts 5. God kills two people simply for lying to him about their finances. When was the last time you killed somebody simply for lying to you? The God of the Bible is a mass murderer many times over and a genocidal maniac. If you don't believe that, then try actually READING your own holy book! Glory!