Goodbye Jesus

Hangups With God

Penguin

Justin,

My first reply is what do you think God should do with a person who refuses to enter his Kingdom?

Have a vote of all affected persons?  Count the votes?  Adjust this (imaginary) kingdom to fit the needs and desires of all, based on democratic principles?  This should be easy as pie for an (imaginary) omnipresent and omnipotent sky fairy.

Come on, Tin Pony, try harder.

Justin,

My first reply is what do you think God should do with a person who refuses to enter his Kingdom?

Have a vote of all affected persons?  Count the votes?  Adjust this (imaginary) kingdom to fit the needs and desires of all, based on democratic principles?  This should be easy as pie for an (imaginary) omnipresent and omnipotent sky fairy.

Come on, Tin Pony, try harder.

Sdelsolray,

God isn't about votes. It's a dictatorship, and if you don't get on board, you'll be sorry!  That's what Kim Jesus Un says, anyway. Aren't you glad you don't live in a country like that!? 

• Like 1

Justin,

This isn't a reply to a question, it's a dodge.  Go back to Justin's post and click reply, so his post is right there for you to attempt to respond to.

I can't refuse to enter something I think is imaginary.  I can't refuse to enter the unicorn clubhouse, or the tooth fairy's staffroom, or the FSM's kitchen.

Justin,

I answered that up there. No matter how you slice it, ANYTHING would be better than roasting them forever.

I walked away from religion when I had accumulated enough evidence to convinced me Christianity & the bible is based on myths. legends, and folklore. At some point during my study and research I realized the stories in the bible did not depict real events, they were myths likely created by unknown pagan nomadic tribesmen, who were more than likely changing existing myths enough to turn them into a new or different myth. The new myth was simply a retelling of a old myth with some edits and modifications. In Judaism this practice is identified as midrash and it continues to be part of Jewish tradition.

I also became aware that many of the bible stories we taken from a variety of pagan religions. I eventually discovered the Jesus story wasn't unique either, similar stories existed in numerous other ancient cultures for as long as a thousand years before the Jesus story began to circulate.

I note all of that to ask this question. If you identify yourself as a non-believer, I assume that means you realize the bible isn't true. So, if you realize the bible isn't true then why would you debate a believer about the interpretation of some particular scripture and what that scripture means for mankind?

It's a freaking myth!  How anyone chooses to interpret it is meaningless and it contains absolutely no divine message from any imaginary god! I have no clue why Christians post here and even less of a clue why a non-believer would debate the meaning of scripture with them.

Geezer steps off of his soapbox and slowly backs away shaking his head slowly, but feeling better now that he's done venting. Oh yeah, have a nice day everybody.

TheRedNeckProfessor,

The "hell" in that verse is referring to the grave.

According to the scriptures no one is in Hell at the present time. For that matter, no one is

walking around in Heaven at the present.

Those departed are awaiting the resurrection.

Did Jesus not say "today you will be with me in Paradise"?

How on earth do you know what is happening right now in the afterlife? What makes you think that your particular version of this myth is the correct one?

Ironhorse,  

Your sword cuts both ways. 

In a few hours time you will exercise your freedom of choice.

To enter into the thread where you can learn about cosmology or to shun it.

If you avoid that thread, there will be a reason for you making this choice.

Just as there are reasons for every freely made choice every human being makes.  That's what you believe, isn't it?  That people freely send themselves to hell, deliberately choosing to do so for their own reasons?  That they don't end up in hell by accident, right?  Every choice has a reason behind it - isn't that what you believe?

Which will you choose, Ironhorse?

To continue to live by faith and in ignorance or to learn the facts and understand?

You can be sure that we will be watching how you choose very closely...!

Oh look!

Ironhorse opts to avoid me... again!

TheRedNeckProfessor,

The "hell" in that verse is referring to the grave.

According to the scriptures no one is in Hell at the present time. For that matter, no one is

walking around in Heaven at the present.

Those departed are awaiting the resurrection.

Did Jesus not say "today you will be with me in Paradise"?

How on earth do you know what is happening right now in the afterlife? What makes you think that your particular version of this myth is the correct one?

Yeah the many different interpretations of the exact same verses is mind numbing isn't it.