Goodbye Jesus

Things Atheists Post On Facebook

Castiel233

Why do atheists quote this?  It is genuinely out of context.  Come on, don't embarrass yourselves, atheists.

He's right, it's out of context. It's from a parable, and not technically a command of Jesus. The allegory is to the Final Judgement, which means that he doesn't actually mean go kill everyone.

Yeah, there was at least one other one earlier in this thread that I had pointed out was taking things out of context as well. Those bother me just as bad as the pro-christian garbage, because they give the religious folks reason to think that we don't know what we're talking about. Being honest and fair in our evaluations is far more important than trying to find something for shock value.

Yeah and i already apologized to you for it. I was tired and put it in the wrong post. Thanks for not forgiving me though, it helps the religious folk see that even atheists are assholes who don't forgive each other. -what a dick 

Wow. You just made yourself the perfect example of an atheist being an asshole/dick (your words, not mine).

I was NOT talking about the ones you posted in the wrong thread. That was an error and I never held that against you. There was nothing to forgive because you did nothing wrong. It was just a mistake and I never held anything against you for that.

THIS is what I was talking about:

1535737_775121579184605_666463585_n.jpg

There are a lot of great images in this thread, but this one is actually quite bad. The concept is good, but it was executed poorly. Just look up the first couple Bible references and it will become quite obvious that whoever created this image didn't even attempt to honestly represent what the Bible says. All that distortions like this do for Christians is confirm their preconception that atheists don't know what they're talking about.

You did NOT apologize for that one. Nor did you really even need to. You didn't create the image and I was not holding anything against you for it. I was ONLY pointing out that it contains things taken out of context. That was NOT an attack on you in any way, shape or form.

So, you see, little kitty, you were WAY off base to resort to your childish name calling here. I'm not the one here with the piss-poor attitude. YOU are.

I have appreciated a lot of your input on this board, but now you've just completely lost my respect. You really need to grow up.

(Be the way, if you resort to this childish name calling bullshit with me again, I will draw the moderator's attention to it and recommend that your account be terminated. There is no excuse for such behavior.)

jesus.jpg

Why do atheists quote this?  It is genuinely out of context.  Come on, don't embarrass yourselves, atheists.

10991171_406125232890476_751229667876808

Don't be cute.

That sentence really is out of context when people attribute it to Jesus as though it were a command he was giving.

When atheists appear ignorant about the Bible, it detracts from the force of our more valid arguments.

• Like 2

That sentence really is out of context when people attribute it to Jesus as though it were a command he was giving.

When atheists appear ignorant about the Bible, it detracts from the force of our more valid arguments.

Exactly. All it does in the minds of Christians is confirm that atheists don't know what they're talking about, and then they don't feel any need to even attempt to look into the valid points that atheists make.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Name calling violates the Terms Of Service.  Please stop.  Thanks.

Guest Furball

jesus.jpg

10991171_406125232890476_751229667876808

Don't be cute.

No one is talking about commands. If someone tells you that jesus is all about love and forgiveness, especially forgiving one's enemies, then quoting that verse is not out of context. Thank you.

Guest Furball

He's right, it's out of context. It's from a parable, and not technically a command of Jesus. The allegory is to the Final Judgement, which means that he doesn't actually mean go kill everyone.

Yeah, there was at least one other one earlier in this thread that I had pointed out was taking things out of context as well. Those bother me just as bad as the pro-christian garbage, because they give the religious folks reason to think that we don't know what we're talking about. Being honest and fair in our evaluations is far more important than trying to find something for shock value.

Yeah and i already apologized to you for it. I was tired and put it in the wrong post. Thanks for not forgiving me though, it helps the religious folk see that even atheists are assholes who don't forgive each other. -what a dick 

Wow. You just made yourself the perfect example of an atheist being an asshole/dick (your words, not mine).

I was NOT talking about the ones you posted in the wrong thread. That was an error and I never held that against you. There was nothing to forgive because you did nothing wrong. It was just a mistake and I never held anything against you for that.

THIS is what I was talking about:

1535737_775121579184605_666463585_n.jpg

There are a lot of great images in this thread, but this one is actually quite bad. The concept is good, but it was executed poorly. Just look up the first couple Bible references and it will become quite obvious that whoever created this image didn't even attempt to honestly represent what the Bible says. All that distortions like this do for Christians is confirm their preconception that atheists don't know what they're talking about.

You did NOT apologize for that one. Nor did you really even need to. You didn't create the image and I was not holding anything against you for it. I was ONLY pointing out that it contains things taken out of context. That was NOT an attack on you in any way, shape or form.

So, you see, little kitty, you were WAY off base to resort to your childish name calling here. I'm not the one here with the piss-poor attitude. YOU are.

I have appreciated a lot of your input on this board, but now you've just completely lost my respect. You really need to grow up.

(Be the way, if you resort to this childish name calling bullshit with me again, I will draw the moderator's attention to it and recommend that your account be terminated. There is no excuse for such behavior.)

Yawn....i was defending myself against your attack. Thank you very much.

Exactly. All it does in the minds of Christians is confirm that atheists don't know what they're talking about, and then they don't feel any need to even attempt to look into the valid points that atheists make.

Sorry guys but I disagree.  First of all it doesn't matter what we do.  Fundamentalist Christians will always be the Ken Ham to atheists' Bill Nye.  Secondly if Osama Bin Laden had told a parable about how a certain man was appointed as king over a land and the people didn't want him as their king so the king commanded that these fools be killed in front of him we would all get the cold blooded metaphor and it's ramifications.  This parable of Jesus was the kind of thing used to justify Crusades and the sacking of cities.  It is a very clear message that the Son of Man will have people executed if they reject him as their king.  It encouraged real world violence and it was a spiritual threat that devalues the self.

Maybe the meme would be more effective if it mentioned the parable.  Perhaps maybe "commands genocide - - - only in a parable" or something like that.  But the parable doesn't let Christianity off the hook.  The Son of Man is a blood thirsty dictator.

Disagreeing isn't an attack.  A difference of opinion isn't personal.

• Like 2

Guest Furball

You're right, i am a terrible person. I should have been able to tell the difference. I am just useless to this site now. My apologies to everyone in the entire universe for existing and expressing myself. I can see that expressing my opinions on this site are not allowed anymore.

You're right, i am a terrible person. I should have been able to tell the difference. I am just useless to this site now. 

Don't put words in my mouth.  I didn't say anything like that.

If something is bothering you why not send me a PM?

Uh, no, I did not attack you at all. You attacked me with childish name calling, and even that was for something you misunderstood. I had NO beef with you and made no statement even remotely implying that I did. You simply jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

You're right, i am a terrible person. I should have been able to tell the difference. I am just useless to this site now. My apologies to everyone in the entire universe for existing and expressing myself. I can see that expressing my opinions on this site are not allowed anymore.

You seem a bit unstable at the moment. Perhaps you should seek professional help. For clarification, I say that from the heart, not as an attack.

Sorry guys but I disagree.  First of all it doesn't matter what we do.  Fundamentalist Christians will always be the Ken Ham to atheists' Bill Nye.  Secondly if Osama Bin Laden had told a parable about how a certain man was appointed as king over a land and the people didn't want him as their king so the king commanded that these fools be killed in front of him we would all get the cold blooded metaphor and it's ramifications.  This parable of Jesus was the kind of thing used to justify Crusades and the sacking of cities.  It is a very clear message that the Son of Man will have people executed if they reject him as their king.  It encouraged real world violence and it was a spiritual threat that devalues the self.

Maybe the meme would be more effective if it mentioned the parable.  Perhaps maybe "commands genocide - - - only in a parable" or something like that.  But the parable doesn't let Christianity off the hook.  The Son of Man is a blood thirsty dictator.

I agree with you in that it definitely carries bad implications. It's just the manner in which it was quoted that made it out of context. That doesn't let Christianity off the hook at all, and I wasn't implying that it does. It's just that there are much better and more accurate arguments to be made than to take a parable quote out of context.

• Super Moderator

Let's get back on topic.  Please.

Found these from a new atheist follower of mine from Twitter :) very true!

Guest Furball

Uh, no, I did not attack you at all. You attacked me with childish name calling, and even that was for something you misunderstood. I had NO beef with you and made no statement even remotely implying that I did. You simply jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

You seem a bit unstable at the moment. 

I am unstable for defending myself? Thanks for the kind words.

Guest Furball

Found these from a new atheist follower of mine from Twitter smile.png very true!

I like the pic on the right. I read a good one that said, "if we came from monkey's why are there still monkey's?" Which the atheist replies, "if we were created from dirt, why is there still dirt?"

Good ones DG! If you find any new ones, please post em'!

• Like 1

Found these from a new atheist follower of mine from Twitter :) very true!

I like the pic on the right. I read a good one that said, "if we came from monkey's why are there still monkey's?" Which the atheist replies, "if we were created from dirt, why is there still dirt?"

I love that one too, it's the best rebuttal ever to such a stupid, ancient question :D

Sending you a PM