Goodbye Jesus

Your God Is Too Small

ironhorse

you should always try to find a way to throw out everything you read. It's an effective way to learn. We have found that if we hold the things people tell us, and things we observe directly, to a certain standard of proof, using a specific process,  we can gather valid useful information, and use that information to improve lives, and gather more information that was before completely and utterly unavailable and incomprehensible to us. We have learned new things by skeptically appraising EVERYTHING. Finding a reason to believe something someone has told you is the opposite of logic. If everyone thought like this, the majority of "doctors" would still be puttering around trying to convince people that sickness is a punishment for a personal sin, making many miserable and healing  NO ONE, instead of looking at the tangible information in front of them, coming up with ways to find out whats wrong, and eventually producing a real cure, educating the public as to how different sicknesses work, how to prevent them, etc.

NOTHING is accomplished by those who obsessively pace the circumference of their comfort zone, shoring up its walls with unfalsifiable bullshit.

"NOTHING is accomplished by those who obsessively pace the circumference of their comfort zone, shoring up its walls with unfalsifiable bullshit."

I agree. 

The purpose for this thread was to offer members and guests a chance read about different views of God and how those view might limit or damage one's final perception of God. 

If you agree, why is it that NOTHING will persuade you to leave your comfort zone, Ironhorse?

NOTHING will cause you to give up your faith - which is your comfort zone, isn't it?

Thanks for your question BAA,

No, the comfort zone I was referring to is the "comfort zone' where one will not venture out to examine

other viewpoints. They do not want to rock their boat or seriously question their current viewpoint of a subject or topic. 

That is the comfort zone you were referring to, but you've now referred to another one - your faith.

Declaring that NOTHING would ever cause you to renounce your Christian faith means declaring that you will NEVER step outside of the comfort zone of your faith.  

So, the bones of Jesus could be discovered tomorrow and you would not accept that as evidence that your faith is false, because doing that would mean stepping outside of your faith to examine any evidence that challenges it. 

http://www.ex-christian.net/topic/72898-christians-what-would-make-you-leave-your-faith/#.V2F4qLsrJD8

Please follow the link and reply to post # 5, Ironhorse.

I have not kept count but my guess is that since I have been a member

here, I have posted more links to non-Christian sites, than to Christian only sites. 

IH: No, the comfort zone I was referring to is the "comfort zone' where one will not venture out to examine

other viewpoints. They do not want to rock their boat or seriously question their current viewpoint of a subject or topic.

Do you ever venture out and ask yourself, "Is Jesus real? Or just my imagination?"

I have known early on that the scriptures contained passages that are often viewed as contradictions and some are very difficult to explain and others, with further study, have a reasonable explanation. The discrepancies I cannot find an answer for do not deter me in my faith or my trust in the scriptures.

Reading the bible is just a worship exercise to keep the mind programming of your church fresh and effective. Otherwise why read it? You're already a believer and the bible is a pretty boring read. Nothing is going to deter your faith. Seems a waste of time to me. :)  

That is the comfort zone you were referring to, but you've now referred to another one - your faith.
Declaring that NOTHING would ever cause you to renounce your Christian faith means declaring that you will NEVER step outside of the comfort zone of your faith. 
So, the bones of Jesus could be discovered tomorrow and you would not accept that as evidence that your faith is false, because doing that would mean stepping outside of your faith to examine any evidence that challenges it.

~BAA

So now you use a hypothetical about discovering the bones of Jesus? 

I meant nothing when I said nothing. I know we disagree but I do not know what else I can say. 

Trying to get back on the thread topic here:

Did you read the book by Phillips?

Any thoughts on his premise? 

~BAA

So now you use a hypothetical about discovering the bones of Jesus? 

Yes.  Nothing covers hypotheticals as well.  

I meant nothing when I said nothing. I know we disagree but I do not know what else I can say. 

Well, you could say that the discovery of Jesus' bones would totally falsify your Christian faith, giving you grounds to renounce it as false.

That would be the truthful and honest thing to do.

You agree?

IH, if nothing at all could change your mind then I think conversation with you is officially a complete waste of time for me.

Not because I want you to deconvert but because there is literally no honest conversation to be had with such a stance mentally. You are so entirely dishonest with yourself by stating that you look at all evidence ( not that there is anything remotely close to "evidence" to look at ) yet nothing would ever change your mind. You consistently amaze me in these threads.

• Like 1

IH: No, the comfort zone I was referring to is the "comfort zone' where one will not venture out to examine other viewpoints. They do not want to rock their boat or seriously question their current viewpoint of a subject or topic.

Do you ever venture out and ask yourself, "Is Jesus real? Or just my imagination?"

Reading the bible is just a worship exercise to keep the mind programming of your church fresh and effective. Otherwise why read it? You're already a believer and the bible is a pretty boring read. Nothing is going to deter your faith. Seems a waste of time to me.

~ midniterider

IH, if nothing at all could change your mind then I think conversation with you is officially a complete waste of time for me.
Not because I want you to deconvert but because there is literally no honest conversation to be had with such a stance mentally. You are so entirely dishonest with yourself by stating that you look at all evidence ( not that there is anything remotely close to "evidence" to look at ) yet nothing would ever change your mind. You consistently amaze me in these threads.
~ Jeff

I totally agree that one should get out of their “comfort zone” and examine other viewpoints. Where have I ever said I would dare not do such a thing?

If Jesus is just my imagination, then it seems to be a popular imagination the past two thousand years among some people. My point is that using just my imagination would help me determining whether Jesus is real. There are other things to consider.

Again, I have not been programmed by a church or brainwashed. I am aware this is what way too many people have experienced, but not me. I read the bible for more insight and knowledge. I also use it when I am checking on some teaching I run across. To me it is not only fascinating to read, it also contains many great stories and great literature.

And I don’t think any conversation is a “complete waste of time” if we can exchange ideas and learn something new.

• Super Moderator

Again, I have not been programmed by a church or brainwashed.

Neither was I.

I am aware this is what way too many people have experienced, but not me.

Me either!

I read the bible for more insight and knowledge.

I did too.

I also use it when I am checking on some teaching I run across.

I was also a good "Berean"

To me it is not only fascinating to read, it also contains many great stories and great literature.

Especially all the rape and incest... not to mention the genocide.  Oh, and the slavery.  And let's not forget Lot's Daughters.

And I don’t think any conversation is a “complete waste of time” if we can exchange ideas and learn something new.

You're more like us than you realize, there, Ironhorse.

IH: No, the comfort zone I was referring to is the "comfort zone' where one will not venture out to examine other viewpoints. They do not want to rock their boat or seriously question their current viewpoint of a subject or topic.

Reading the bible is just a worship exercise to keep the mind programming of your church fresh and effective. Otherwise why read it? You're already a believer and the bible is a pretty boring read. Nothing is going to deter your faith. Seems a waste of time to me.

~ midniterider

~ Jeff

I totally agree that one should get out of their “comfort zone” and examine other viewpoints. Where have I ever said I would dare not do such a thing?

If Jesus is just my imagination, then it seems to be a popular imagination the past two thousand years among some people. My point is that using just my imagination would help me determining whether Jesus is real. There are other things to consider.

Again, I have not been programmed by a church or brainwashed. I am aware this is what way too many people have experienced, but not me. I read the bible for more insight and knowledge. I also use it when I am checking on some teaching I run across. To me it is not only fascinating to read, it also contains many great stories and great literature.

Well, Christianity is very popular, for sure. So is Islam though. Which one is true? And Why?  I'm glad you enjoy reading the bible. It just never resonated with me, even as a Christian. As a Christian I read it now and then to be able to 'say I did' if anyone asked. :)

...Where have I ever said I would dare not do such a thing?

Answer:

"The discrepancies I cannot find an answer for do not deter me in my faith or my trust in the scriptures." - IH

I didn't use the word "dare" btw.

You have made it quite clear that no discrepancy could change your mind about trusting your holy text. That shows a complete inflexibility on your part.

I should have clarified that religios conversation with you is a waste of time. You may notice I responded to another thread and wished you a pleasant day.

I don't understand what it is you get from being here except negative attention. I no longer believe your stated purpose.

I think you cling wildly to your faith out of some need but why come here to be battered which is the nature of this lions den? I don't understand you. I want to stop now as I have no desire to insult you with further speculation

Have a nice day IH ????

Answer:

"The discrepancies I cannot find an answer for do not deter me in my faith or my trust in the scriptures." - IH

You have made it quite clear that no discrepancy could change your mind about trusting your holy text. That shows a complete inflexibility on your part.

I should have clarified that religios conversation with you is a waste of time. You may notice I responded to another thread and wished you a pleasant day.

I don't understand what it is you get from being here except negative attention. I no longer believe your stated purpose.

I think you cling wildly to your faith out of some need but why come here to be battered which is the nature of this lions den? I don't understand you. I want to stop now as I have no desire to insult you with further speculation

Have a nice day IH

I meant  "dare" as being directed to me, not you. As in thinking I would not dare do to such a thing.

My apology for it coming across the wrong way.

I am here and hope to remain here to represent Christianity.

I understood when I joined that battering and aggressive resistance would be involved.

Members or guests who remember my first thread here might remember how the Lion's Den roared that day.

I'm okay with that. I have learned a lot here. I would much rather be here than on some other forums I have seen.

I actually enjoy being a member here. I don't post in other forums. I'm a news junkie so I read the

TOT thread often. I consider myself a libertarian conservative independent so I find I am often

in agreement with what is often posted there. 

I have not told members of the church I attend about this place. I have not tried to get other 

believers to come here. My wife knows I post here and we have talked about some things discussed.

The one thing that bothers me is why there are so few Christians here. 

Hope this helps in understanding about why I remain here.

Have a great day Jeff

What parts of the Bible does our friend ironhorse decide to cherry pick? Or has the Church done all his thinking for him?

Answer:

Have a nice day IH

Why?

I have not told members of the church I attend about this place.

You could make an announcement after the service if you like. "Come visit Ex-Christain.net."  :)

Not active posting Christians, at least. But, hey,  you could advertise for us. :) There may be people in your church who are questioning their faith. You could do them a service by mentioning this site. :)

Well, there are mostly non-Christians here and I think it's true that your attitude ends up being influenced by those  you hang out with a lot. The ex- Christianity espoused on this site is going to have an anti-Christian effect on you. So, welcome, future ex-Christian buddy. lol.

Wouldn't it be fun to slip an Ex-C business card in bibles at the church every Sunday. LoL.

Wouldn't it be fun to slip an Ex-C business card in bibles at the church every Sunday. LoL.

I think people do things like that in hotels. Are you willing to be our "scape goat"? Really, a great idea! Could you do it without actually having to sit through the Service?

"I am here and hope to remain here to represent Christianity" - IH

Sorry but no you don't IH

You represent your personal opinions and nothing else.

Your views are yours. There is literally no such thing as being "representative" of Christianity.

The Pope is WAY closer to representing Christianity and even he does not. Because there is NO consensus among Christians.

As florduh often says to you... "See it yet?

• Super Moderator

I thought Christians were supposed to represent christ.

I think people do things like that in hotels. Are you willing to be our "scape goat"? Really, a great idea! Could you do it without actually having to sit through the Service?

After inserting the business card you pull out your phone, pretend you have a text....pretend to text back...then act like you have to go....  :)

After inserting the business card you pull out your phone, pretend you have a text....pretend to text back...then act like you have to go....  smile.png

Great idea! All we need to do is print up a few cards and then we're good to go. But actually attending Church would be Hell for me.

I meant  "dare" as being directed to me, not you. As in thinking I would not dare do to such a thing.

I understood when I joined that battering and aggressive resistance would be involved.

Members or guests who remember my first thread here might remember how the Lion's Den roared that day.

I'm okay with that. I have learned a lot here. I would much rather be here than on some other forums I have seen.

I actually enjoy being a member here. I don't post in other forums. I'm a news junkie so I read the

TOT thread often. I consider myself a libertarian conservative independent so I find I am often

I have not told members of the church I attend about this place. I have not tried to get other 

believers to come here. My wife knows I post here and we have talked about some things discussed.

Have a great day Jeff

http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?s=2cacf16a408e2cb54403ccd15ccac216&f=11

http://www.cigreviews.com/forums/off-topic-talk-about-anything-you-want/5116-sunday-dispatch.html

Wow IH. You are a busy guy!

And I was thinking we were your buddies here in the den.

When does your YouTube channel go live? There's money to be made there unless You get sued by Dylan or Bono.

Take it global!

"The TRUE Faith with IH (not to be confused with the thousands of other true faiths that disagree wildly with me. But trust me I'm right because I skeptically appraised it all)".

There. Now you have a title for it

Honestly, bornagainatheist, I am happy that ironhorse refuses to post in other Forums. To bad he's almost alone. Tell us, IH, why do you come here?

Know Thyself!

Be Prudent!

Laconic Phrase:

On the morning of the third and final day of the battle, Leonidas, knowing they were being surrounded, exhorted his men, "Eat well, for tonight we dine in Hades."[18]

Have a great day Jeff

http://www.creedfeed.com/community/forumdisplay.php?s=2cacf16a408e2cb54403ccd15ccac216&f=11

http://www.cigreviews.com/forums/off-topic-talk-about-anything-you-want/5116-sunday-dispatch.html

Honestly, bornagainatheist, I am happy that ironhorse refuses to post in other Forums. To bad he's almost alone. Tell us, IH, why do you come here?

Know Thyself!

Be Prudent!

Laconic Phrase:

On the morning of the third and final day of the battle, Leonidas, knowing they were being surrounded, exhorted his men, "Eat well, for tonight we dine in Hades."[18]

Have a great day Jeff

If read in context, I was stating I no longer post in other forums on this site. I have never said I do not post on other online forums.

From the Sunday Dispatch thread posted in Lion’s Den:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

Note: I have posted the Sunday Dispatch online for over a decade. When I first posted it here in the Lion's Den I thought I would start it out as number one (using previously Dispatches) but since today's is number six-hundred and sixty-six, I'm going to start posting the Dispatch here as it is posted elsewhere.

~ironhorse

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:17 AM

i don't think IH says this is recycled crap, but the same fresh poop he shit in other forums,,,,,

~ pratt

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:29 AM

This seems to be the case on a few other forums where he also posts the same thing every week. Nobody ever responds there, yet he keeps on doing it.

~ mydisplayname

I was wrong, Ironhorse.

In mitigation, the way you worded your statement was somewhat open to misinterpretation.  Your membership is to the whole of the Ex-Christian.net site and not just to the Lion's Den.  Separate membership of the other forums in Ex-C (Testimonies, General Christian Theological Issues, Ex-Christian Life, etc.) is not required.  You are automatically a member of those if you're a member of Ex-C.

Thanks,

BAA.

Friend ironhorse, i'm sorry I wasn't specific. I did not mean other Forums, just here. And I meant no disrespect...I'm just wondering why not any other Forums here. I'm just curious, that's all. I mean this, you are our friend and I wouldn't deliberately annoy you. Maybe you just post more on the other Forums?

Know Thyself!

Be Prudent!

Laconic Phrase:

Have a great day Jeff

If read in context, I was stating I no longer post in other forums on this site. I have never said I do not post on other online forums.

From the Sunday Dispatch thread posted in Lion’s Den:

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:58 PM
Note: I have posted the Sunday Dispatch online for over a decade. When I first posted it here in the Lion's Den I thought I would start it out as number one (using previously Dispatches) but since today's is number six-hundred and sixty-six, I'm going to start posting the Dispatch here as it is posted elsewhere.
~ironhorse

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:17 AM
i don't think IH says this is recycled crap, but the same fresh poop he shit in other forums,,,,,
~ pratt

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:29 AM
This seems to be the case on a few other forums where he also posts the same thing every week. Nobody ever responds there, yet he keeps on doing it.
~ mydisplayname