Goodbye Jesus

How Old Are You?

TexasFreethinker

Drinking age next july, I promise to not become an alcoholic. :P

clicking the 15-19 category makes me feel like a kid, even though I'm 19.

Quarter of a century here. So that means my car insurance goes down and I can rent a car? That's cool and all but birthdays sure do get lame after 21...

:Old: proud 56, Nov 4th - just beginning to grow up! :3:

• 2 weeks later...
LeslieHappyCry.gif49 it's weird getting old

15, I feel young.

Damn.

• 3 weeks later...

44 and living life to the fullest! :) Thank god there is no god. LMAO

I can teach you how to make your own beer and wine that will absolutely blow your little gray cells and strain the synapses in your brain.

It's a secret! I'm not telling. Actually, I'm too math illiterate to figure it out.

• 2 months later...

I'm 37. Feel 73 at times, though! (I'll bet if I look back through this thread, I said the exact same thing last year, except then I only felt 63!)

I'm 37. Feel 73 at times, though! (I'll bet if I look back through this thread, I said the exact same thing last year, except then I only felt 63!)

Haha, I know how you feel though I'm a whole 2 years behind you, I just turned 35 a month ago. :P

I seriously already have a patch of gray hair ... my memory is going, I can't think as sharply as I used to, my vision and hearing are not in their prime either anymore. I feel I'm 35 going on 75 ...

21. Deconverted shortly before my birthday in February after a very painful spiritual crisis :P

I can teach you how to make your own beer and wine that will absolutely blow your little gray cells and strain the synapses in your brain.

I'm game. I'd like to make my own. Though I guess it will have to be wine. I doubt I can buy the raw ingredients for beer in Russia.

@Vigile:

How to make wine the HZ way! Keep in mind wine and beer ferment which can foam up and make a big mess, so pick an area without carpeting and walls easy to wash. :wicked: I've had to put my fermentor in the tub before so be warned.

I use 2 packages of brewers yeast, 1/2 part cranberry juice, 1/2 part concord grape juice, 1 cup sugar, two 5 gallon containers with lid, and plastic airlock. You can use whatever juice you like. I make five gallons at a time. I also use an airlock that sticks into a rubber cork for the lid. Some people use balloons which I think gives home made wine a rubbery taste. Clean and sterilize all equipment that comes into contact with the wine with a tablespoon bleach per gallon of water, air dry or rinse in hot water. Add everything to the fermentor which is a five gallon bucket with a lid and a hole in the top for the airlock. I use all juice so you'll need five gallons worth of juice, no water because the juice is already mixed with water. You can use frozen concentrated juice and then add water. If you have to top it off after making the juice, use juice instead of water. -- This recipe is generally for juice off the shelf at the store, not juice concentrate in a can.

**If you use concentrated juice from a can that comes with a wine kit, do not add sugar at all.

Some people just sprinkle the yeast into the fermentor and stir it up. I don't do that. I get my yeast started first then add it to the fermentor.

To start my wine yeast, I use a clean glass bowl and fill it with warm, not hot water, about 70 - 75 degrees farenheit. Fill the bowl half full of water and sprinkle yeast on top of the water, do not stir it. Let it rest for at least 15 to 20 minutes. It will foam and start a yeast cake in the bottom of the bowl. Some packages of yeast are old at the store and this way I can tell if the yeast is still alive or not by making the yeast cake and it also speeds up fermentation. That's also why I use 2 packages of brewers yeast instead of only one. If the yeast gets foamy, it's alive. If the yeast does not foam and make a cake in the bottom of the bowl after 15 minutes, toss it and use another package of yeast. After 15 minutes, pour the yeast into the juice in the fermentor and stir it up vigorously to get air into the juice; add 1/2 cup sugar. Snap the lid on, add the airlock and cork and put the fermentor in a dark room that is at least above 70 degrees F. Above 70f you make wine, less than 70f you make beer and ale. Let the wine rest for 10 days in the first fermentor (primary). Alcohol preserves the wine or beer, so the sooner the yeast starts to produce the alcohol, the less of a chance you have with bacteria ruining the drink. That's why I start my yeast first.

After 10 days the wine should be about done fermenting and most impurities or 'sediment' settles out of the wine to the bottom of the fermentor. After 10 days carefully add the wine to the secondary fermenter and try not to shake the bucket pouring. Keep the sediment on the bottom of the bucket as much as possible because you want to keep the wine as clear as possible, I add 'finings' in the primary fermentor to help settle out the sediment as much as possible. After adding to the secondary fermentor, fill container with juice to top off five gallons and add the other 1/2 cup of sugar. Do this over the tub in case it foams over. Put the lid and airlock back on and let rest another 10 days to finish clearing and fermenting. After the second ten days are up, carefully pour into containers keeping whatever sediment is in the bottom from pouring into the wine, and put container in fridge or other cool place like under the sink. Wine and beer lasts longer when kept cool and away from light. My secondary fermentor has a plastic spigot on it so I can pour a glass straight from the fermentor and I bottle my wine too, which I usually do. After the wine is chilled to your liking have some.

To know the amount of alcohol in the wine, you need to know the starting specific gravity and the finished specific gravity, using a hydrometer. If you bottle wine you will need a hydrometer or risk breaking bottles from fermenting yeast. Instructions are included when buying a hydrometer as to how to read it. In the primary fermentor take the beginning specific gravity and in the secondary fermentor take the finished specific gravity after the second ten day period when ready to bottle. I wait to bottle until my finished specific gravity is down around 1.019.

Alcohol content = Beginning Specific Gravity - (minus) Finished Specific Gravity.

got problems? Let me know.

----------

Most states, with the exception of three now(?), it is lawful to make up to 200 gallons of beer and wine for a household of two or more adults of legal drinking age. More than 200 gallons requires a permit. This is for fermentation, not distillation of spirits which requires permits for any size still! check local laws for details.

I'm 22. Began deconversion when I was 16. I am completely free at this point :)

Struggled with my deconversion for years :(

I turn 27 this Sunday. On Easter Sunday of all days. Kind of ironic, haha.

Just aslong as I live to do it again.

45. Enjoying life, but still fairly new to atheism, so I'm still fairly PO'd about all the time I wasted getting here.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's interesting to occasionally see what age groups are involved in Ex-C. So, how old are you?

That was posted in March 2006. I'm five years older than I was then and I'm still here. So are some others. I guess that means the age group is aging. Hmmm. Does that even make sense???

But I must have voted back then (or sometime after I joined in late Aug. of that year) because it's asking me "Delete My Vote".

• 5 weeks later...

35 here, for another few months, at least.

44 until I'm 45 (I know...profound)

I'm glad I found the exit before age 25. I've lost enough time in my life already.

• 2 weeks later...

24... I'm in the most popular age bracket it seems.