Goodbye Jesus

How Old Are You?

TexasFreethinker

I'm 17 years old, going to be 18 this June 25th.

33 years young

To be exact... 20 years, 5 months, and 10 days

Wow - this thread is so old I'm now in a new category!

Didn't we have a similar thread on the old board, too? We'd all be in a different category now if that one still existed. I think I was 26 or 27 at the time.

50 - and I'm almost ready to admit I'm approaching middle age!

At the end of age 20. Turning 21 the 16th of this month.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it would seem the majority are in those twenties, but those in their 40s look like they come in second. Though I hate to talk about my age (I was born in 1966), I do like seeing this. It makes me feel as though I'm not in a minority of 40 y.o. Maybe I'm not so slow after all.

• 2 weeks later...

Twenty-three and still another year of school before I graduate! I'm doing the six-year plan! :>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

42, if I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself. :)

I'm 24 years old.

I was in the US Army during the Cuban Missile Crises. At the time I thought I might have to bend over and kiss my ass goodbye in a brilliant flash of light.

31, but feelin' a hell of a lot older right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 19. Joined this site after I turned 18.

I find it fascinating to read peoples' take on age. Seems to phase some while being nothing but an advanture for others.

I guess the old saying is true: Life is what YOU make of it.

Hopefully I can make it good for me.

• 4 weeks later...

24... Feeling 48.

I'm 19 myself and thankfully so. It is much easier to escape an ideology when you are still young.

I'm 19 myself and thankfully so. It is much easier to escape an ideology when you are still young.

Is it? It took me 20 years, but it happened, and it happened absolutely. I was 36 years old then (or so).

Being young means Peer pressure, Parents (!), Rituals prescribed by others (like church), and a definite lack of independence.

I don't know of any psychologic reasons for why the young should be more able to escape an ideology.

Is it? It took me 20 years, but it happened, and it happened absolutely. I was 36 years old then (or so).

Being young means Peer pressure, Parents (!), Rituals prescribed by others (like church), and a definite lack of independence.

I don't know of any psychologic reasons for why the young should be more able to escape an ideology.

It depends on if you are the rebellious type or not. Sometimes I wonder if my parents were atheists, would things have gone the other way?

It depends on if you are the rebellious type or not. Sometimes I wonder if my parents were atheists, would things have gone the other way?

Oh, that's an interesting question. Remember the television show Family Ties? Michael J Fox played the son of liberal ex-hippie parents, and he joined the Young Republicans.

I have no idea.

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice to see all the young people here. It gives me hope for the future. I am a teacher, and I see so many young people hopelessly mired in irrational belief systems. All I can do about it is work on their critical thinking skills within the context of the curriculum and hope they will one day apply it to their beliefs. I avoid staking out a position myself with regard to religion because that would be unethical, counterproductive, and extremely unpopular.

If a student asks me a direct question in private, I answer it truthfully.

Few of the Christian teachers I know exhibit such restraint, unfortunately. Some actively witness.