Goodbye Jesus

more in depth questions for Joefizz to answer about religion,etc.

Joefizz

8 hours ago, Joefizz said:

Yes,odd though that none of my school teachers including science and astronomy teachers ever taught me this,they always said "Educated guesses based on established facts"Thanks for this knowledge on scientific theories,always good to learn something new and through such learning not end up incorrectly say things one doesn't know for sure,which unfortunately due to my schooling I always reflected the "educated guess" as scientific theories,so this should help me discuss better with others about science much appreciated!

A hypothesis is more like an "educated guess." A theory is a large framework that typically explains phenomena. Therefore, you can test the predictions that a theory makes. This is what makes theories so powerful. It is in their ability to reliably predict and explain. Do you now understand?

Theories explain and furthermore, theories make predictions. We are constantly attempting to test theories to see where they break down or make predictions that do not comport with what is actually observed. For example, the general theory of relativity makes exceptionally powerful and exact predictions. One prediction is that light will bend around massive objects. This prediction was verified during an eclipse when star light was observed to "bend" around the sun. This is now known as gravitational lensing and is observed around galaxies and other objects. Do you see? There is no educated guess involved. The theory makes a prediction and we can test and observe said prediction. 

Another example is quantum mechanics. The fundamental equation of quantum mechanics, the Schrodinger equation predicts very precise energy levels of electrons in Hydrogen atoms. I can take a Hydrogen atom, excite it with electricity and cause the electrons to jump to higher energy levels. As the electrons fall to lower energy levels, they give off light. The wavelengths of the light had better be at the exact energies that quantum mechanics predicts or the theory is wrong. Guess what? The predictions and what we see agree to an astonishing accurate degree. In fact, a relativistic treatment of quantum mechanics reveals super fine structure to these energy levels. 

As an aside, my avatar is a picture of a particular set of atomic transitions known as the Balmer series that I took in my lab back when I taught undergraduate biophysics to allied health students. 

I hope you now understand just how powerful a theory is? It is the ability for a theory to make predictions that can be tested that fundamentally sets it apart from other concepts that fall under the umbrella of "science." 

58 minutes ago, RogueScholar said:

A hypothesis is more like an "educated guess." A theory is a large framework that typically explains phenomena. Therefore, you can test the predictions that a theory makes. This is what makes theories so powerful. It is in their ability to reliably predict and explain. Do you now understand?

Theories explain and furthermore, theories make predictions. We are constantly attempting to test theories to see where they break down or make predictions that do not comport with what is actually observed. For example, the general theory of relativity makes exceptionally powerful and exact predictions. One prediction is that light will bend around massive objects. This prediction was verified during an eclipse when star light was observed to "bend" around the sun. This is now known as gravitational lensing and is observed around galaxies and other objects. Do you see? There is no educated guess involved. The theory makes a prediction and we can test and observe said prediction. 

Another example is quantum mechanics. The fundamental equation of quantum mechanics, the Schrodinger equation predicts very precise energy levels of electrons in Hydrogen atoms. I can take a Hydrogen atom, excite it with electricity and cause the electrons to jump to higher energy levels. As the electrons fall to lower energy levels, they give off light. The wavelengths of the light had better be at the exact energies that quantum mechanics predicts or the theory is wrong. Guess what? The predictions and what we see agree to an astonishing accurate degree. In fact, a relativistic treatment of quantum mechanics reveals super fine structure to these energy levels. 

As an aside, my avatar is a picture of a particular set of atomic transitions known as the Balmer series that I took in my lab back when I taught undergraduate biophysics to allied health students. 

I hope you now understand just how powerful a theory is? It is the ability for a theory to make predictions that can be tested that fundamentally sets it apart from other concepts that fall under the umbrella of "science." 

That was very thorough and inciteful,thank you your information input is appreciated on this topic,yes I now understand a great deal more of scientific theories as well as hypotheses knowledge.