Goodbye Jesus

How Long Have You Been Out Of Christianity?

DoubleDee

I left the splendors in 1998, with my kids in tow while my husband went to prison.

Did he keep the faith?

He was raised as a Catholic and that was pretty much it for him. He never got into the religious cult scene, just the drug one.

One thing about being RCC... EVERYTHING is negotiable...

Guest Florida
I left the splendors in 1998, with my kids in tow while my husband went to prison.

Did he keep the faith?

He was raised as a Catholic and that was pretty much it for him. He never got into the religious cult scene, just the drug one.

Yeah... even after they're dead... :lmao:

Did he keep the faith?

Even more so after they're dead... Look as St. John of the Cross... he was more or less killed as a heretic by good catholics, and now he's a saint... I'm still waitng for the wrinkled Albanian and that grotesque groper of teen-aged girls, Padre Pio, to get their stripes...

Guest Florida

Did he keep the faith?

Even more so after they're dead... Look as St. John of the Cross... he was more or less killed as a heretic by good catholics, and now he's a saint... I'm still waitng for the wrinkled Albanian and that grotesque groper of teen-aged girls, Padre Pio, to get their stripes...

There's nothing better than a pedestal to keep the gropers groping.

• 2 weeks later...

Free for about 10 years now. Too bad my parents can't accept it, but I am 49 years old and it is their problem, not mine!

Deconversion went in stages and seemed to be a case of two steps forward, one step back. All in all it's been 18 months now since I stopped seriously believing...it took me a while to get away because of fear and wanting the comforting beliefs however as time has passed the light at the end of the tunnel has gotten closer and closer. I think I'm totally free now.

I have been an atheist for about 11 years. I was 14 when I converted. The whole thing just never really stuck with me. My only troubles were dealing with my family. They finally took the Christian approach and just pretended like it never happened. They are so good at that!

I have been out since January 2007.

I have been out since January 2007.

Ditto.

I had small doubts leading up to my de-conversion that never much shook me, but the bottom completely fell out (unexpectedly) in January.

I had been a Christian since 1991 when I was 16... as a new bride and a new mother. I started practicing Witchcraft and blending my Pagan practices and views into my Christian ones back in 2001. However, I didn't come out of the "broom closet" until I moved to PA in 2002, which is btw when I came out of the closet as a bisexual as well. So was a church going fundie Christian 10 years and have been a church hatin' Christopagan Witch for going on 6 years now.

Officially 2 days. And still having trouble with feeling like a heretic - I'm waiting for lightning to hit me. It's hard to think and say things that I have been taught for 48 years are blasphemy, but a relief to finally admit my disbelief.

I'm waiting for lightning to hit me. It's hard to think and say things that I have been taught for 48 years are blasphemy.

Welcome, and best of luck! After only 2 days it's completely understandable to still feel fear and guilt. If you haven't already read Neil's Testimonial, I'd recommend it, it might help. I don't know if Neil has been onto the forums here yet, but I sure hope he does. He's one intelligent dude. Also, it seems lately that God is more interested in striking statues of himself with lightning than striking people. :)

Officially 2 days. And still having trouble with feeling like a heretic - I'm waiting for lightning to hit me. It's hard to think and say things that I have been taught for 48 years are blasphemy, but a relief to finally admit my disbelief.

Welcome to the site :wave:

Your nervousness is natural, and it will come and go. With time, it will fade away, especially as you enrich yourself with knowledge and cure yourself of the poison of faith. It takes time to deprogram oneself from a lifetime of self-induced spiritual terrorism at the thought of an all-present divine Big Brother watching your every move, but soon you'll fully convince yourself that he doesn't exist and never did :)

Hang in there! :goodjob:

I started to lose my faith about 4 years ago. After a long decline in faith, wondering what if I was wrong, trying to figure out things, and eventually having an identity crisis when I was 16, I was able to finally sever all my ties to Christianity.

Definitly the most liberating experience ever though, even though I struggled at first, learning how to think for myself, make my own decisions, learning how to live without a book to go by, and trying to figure out who I am. 16 years as a ultra-conservative Baptist fundy had my living like a robot, and stole alot of time I could have been enjoying life with.

A little over seven years.

Officially 2 days. ... but a relief to finally admit my disbelief.

Welcome to the community.

I have been out for approximately 2 months...althought i got only two months period when i was in Xtianity.I got doubts and it burst when i disagree a lot ofthing the church says.(and to my surprise too)I read a lot of books (including my weak flank,biology).....I realise they are almost fundementalist(or slight extreme conservatives)

Out of the ministry for 15 years. Then spent the next 4 or so as a confused christian. Finally let the whole thing go about 9 years ago. This last year I've even admitted to myself that there is a good deal of validity to the idea that there might not be any kind of god at all.

Guest seekeroftruth

Three years as of February. I felt like 4truth: waiting for the lighting to strike. I even had trouble walking into a church, so afraid that I would burst into flames.

Guest seekeroftruth

Three years. I felt like 4truth: waiting for the lighting to strike. I even had trouble walking into a church, so afraid that I would burst into flames.

its been......2 years as well

• 2 weeks later...

About a year now for me, although it seems shorter

"Officially" I guess you could only say I've been out for two days, that is at least publicly. It's hard to put a specific date on when I stopped believing Christianity though, since it was a prolonged and painful process that took many years of hard questioning.

Two years this past June. That's when I first told someone "I'm not a Christian."

I guess that would be when I "came out of the closet," so to speak.

Then a couple of months later (August/September, something like that) I first admitted to myself and said to another person that "I'm an atheist."

My, how time flies.

6 months to a year, though I started drifting away from the church a couple years ago, I really can't remember when the moment was when I actually admitted my disbelief to myself. I'll be 21 later this month, my deconversion has been a slow process since my mid teens. Still in the closet, I live with my parents and can't afford my own place. I don't know how they'll react, so I'm just laying low at the moment. It strikes me as sad that I have to use terminology usually applied to criminals in hiding when speaking of telling my family who I really am.

When I was 16 I stopped believing in organized religion and in the last 2 years I have accepted atheism. So nearing 10 years now. Though I don't think I can ever say I truly believed, I questioned the bible and religion too much.