Goodbye Jesus

I Will Choose Free Will....

Riven

Great testimony Riven. You've certainly been through some hard times. You highlighted many of the issues of Christianity above. I hope others take note and learn from your experience.

All the best.

LF

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Riven said:

Critical thinking is completely lost today in general, but the lack of it is almost a requirement to subscribe to the tenants of evangelical Christianity.

Critical thinking and studying history don't seem to be as ubiquitous as they once were in some circles but, in others, they are front and center. I think that's why the pews are emptying out in many geographic locations. 

As far as religion goes, however, both of those things need to take a back seat if one is to stay in the fold.  I will never forget my one-on-one with pastor asshat when, after about an hour of coming from a standpoint of logic/reason/history (real, provable history), when he said "You just have to BELIEVE! Then God will answer."

WTF? What does that even mean?

I realized then and there that religions is bullshit. 

• Like 2

BTW, that's some nasty shit you've had to endure, @Riven

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope you don't think all men are scum-sucking shit-bags. I'm not saying I'm not but in general...:yelrotflmao:

27 minutes ago, MOHO said:

I will never forget my one-on-one with pastor asshat when, after about an hour of coming from a standpoint of logic/reason/history (real, provable history), when he said "You just have to BELIEVE! Then God will answer."

That's it right there! Faith (believing without seeing) is held up as the pinnacle of achievement! No critical thinking allowed. It's a crazy "catch all" for not just inexpiable things, but for questions that should be put through a critical analysis. It's totally bonkers!

27 minutes ago, MOHO said:

BTW, that's some nasty shit you've had to endure, @Riven

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I hope you don't think all men are scum-sucking shit-bags. I'm not saying I'm not but in general...:yelrotflmao:

LOL. No, amazingly I'm OK today in that regard. And, thanks to those three years with a great counselor, I was able to pick better the next time around! 😉

• Like 2

With the exception of your father, everything; I mean almost everything, in your testimony sounds soooo familar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConsiderTheSource said:

With the exception of your father, everything; I mean almost everything, in your testimony sounds soooo familar.

Thanks for sharing that. It helps to know I’m not alone in these experiences! 

Don't mind me, no hidden agenda here: 

• Haha 1

Yep, @Joshpantera - life can pretty much be summed up with any song lyric! And this one's a favorite of mine! 😉

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for sharing this. Isn't it wonderful to be free of cognitive dissonance!!! Congratulations on your escape and all the best as you move forward in the light of reality.

4 hours ago, MYRTBOS said:

Thank you so much for sharing this. Isn't it wonderful to be free of cognitive dissonance!!! Congratulations on your escape and all the best as you move forward in the light of reality.

Cognitive dissonance is a valuable and healthy tool.  When it appears, it allows me to consciously identify conflicting ideas and information.

I agree that a lesser amount of cognitive dissonance is likely an indicator of a healthier mind, or at least a mind that has resolved prior dissonances.  But the tool must first be available for this to occur.

Thank you, Riven. Your testimony really spoke to me. Yes, your free will is yours to take... and your responsibility to take. I also completely agree that the Evangelicals are the modern day Pharisees and Judases. It look a lot of courage to weave your way out of that programming - give yourself credit for that! You deserve it!

When a testimoney is lengthy I usually don't read all of it,  because they are often similar to what all of us have experienced. I read every word of your story because it was so interesting and well written. I am happy for you that you got out and that you found this site. I read all of your posts because you write interesting & thought provoking  posts. 

You're an asset to our little community. :)

• Like 3

@MYRTBOS - It is wonderful to be out of such tension, holding competing thoughts for so long. As @sdelsolray said, our cognitive dissonance serves us well to inform us, however refusing to look at things doesn't. It took what it took, but I'm glad to be on my way out. 

@DestinyTurtle - thank you! It's been a rough road, and it's not without irony that I say I'm taking the road less traveled. It's easy to stay stuck, and harder to take steps into the unknown. But as you said, my life, my responsibility. I'm willing to step up!

@Geezer - You have no idea how much that means to me. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1