TexasFreethinker

Are "pro-life" christians short-sighted?

43 minutes ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

I likely should have made clear in my post that it goes without saying that people should exercise responsibility with their sex lives and risks of pregnancy, so I didn't even bother to point that out separately. You can assume that when I'm talking about abortion I'm not saying the government should just provide freebies to irresponsible people.

And I also don't mean that body autonomy means you can do whatever, wherever to your body. You cannot compare giving birth to and supporting a child for the rest of your life to smoking weed.

You should,, as a woman, be able to make the choice for giving birth or not - you will not only be responsible for that choice but for the support of another human being for the rest of your living life, and that's not any decision to be made lightly.

As I said, it's a complicated issue and it's situation/context dependent.

At the end of the day however, I will not be walking around judging people's choices in regards to the choice they made. There are enough people out there already doing that.

I respect all that. I really do. You and I can agree that we need to respond to certain pregnancies differently than others. 

The problem is that your comment about responsibility in sex lives rules out a LOT of abortions. The statistic is crazy high, I'll have to look it up again, but it's a pretty crazy high majority of abortions are revolve around inconvenience for the mother. 

You and I can also agree on not judging people. I'd just really rather not these days

Thank you for your support
Buy Ex-C a cup of coffee!
Costs have significantly risen and we need your support! Click the coffee cup to give a one-time donation, or choose one of the recurrent patron options.
Note: All Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
1 hour ago, ag_NO_stic said:

I respect all that. I really do. You and I can agree that we need to respond to certain pregnancies differently than others. 

The problem is that your comment about responsibility in sex lives rules out a LOT of abortions. The statistic is crazy high, I'll have to look it up again, but it's a pretty crazy high majority of abortions are revolve around inconvenience for the mother. 

You and I can also agree on not judging people. I'd just really rather not these days

I haven't actually looked up the stats and don't know how much info there is on the "why" of why people get abortions. But it's pretty obvious if you're using birth control etc the chances are low and in your favor. And really why would you not use contraception instead of then having an abortion? It's a no brainer. But yes there are circumstances that are outside of the inconvenience scenario.